What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

J Charles hurt ? (1 Viewer)

Hopefully he's ok, but if his draft stock does tumble I wouldnt feel too good about taking him in the late 1st
I hope his draft stock DOES tumble. I'd be elated to be able to pick him up in the late 1st.
Typically I jump at drafting those players that drop for questionable reasons, but if the uncertainty on his injury/timetable continues and the fact that its a foot injury has me steering clear. He would drop that far for a reason.

If he starts practicing a week from now and sees even a few carries in a preseason game, that would be good enough for me to consider him at that point. Otherwise, this reeks of Jamaal being THE bust of the 1st (or 2nd if he drops that far) round.

ETA: Even if he slips to late 1st, I have trouble seeing the upside of picking a banged up Charles over McCoy or Trent

Last edited by a moderator:
He has almost an entire month before he plays in a real game......he can sit out he entire pre-season which would be jut fine with me....unless there is a shocker and the MRI shows something unexpected I don't see how this should cause his draft position to plummet but guess I'll be buying!

So did Jamaal Charles bang Elizabeth Franklin before or after Michael Vick broke both legs by the same 80 year old woman who broke Peyton Manning's legs? I'm having a hard time keeping my notes in order.

Hopefully he's ok, but if his draft stock does tumble I wouldnt feel too good about taking him in the late 1st
I hope his draft stock DOES tumble. I'd be elated to be able to pick him up in the late 1st.
Typically I jump at drafting those players that drop for questionable reasons, but if the uncertainty on his injury/timetable continues and the fact that its a foot injury has me steering clear. He would drop that far for a reason.

If he starts practicing a week from now and sees even a few carries in a preseason game, that would be good enough for me to consider him at that point. Otherwise, this reeks of Jamaal being THE bust of the 1st (or 2nd if he drops that far) round.

ETA: Even if he slips to late 1st, I have trouble seeing the upside of picking a banged up Charles over McCoy or Trent
I agree. The risk reward balance in the 1st is way to high for the news thats out currently. Him busting would put you at a huge disadvantage imo.

conversely, if his stock plummets to the late 1st and he goes off in the way some think, he could easily be the steal of the draft...

conversely, if his stock plummets to the late 1st and he goes off in the way some think, he could easily be the steal of the draft...
I dont think him having a great year makes him a steal if he goes in the 1st still. Last year, he was RB8. Honestly, I thought he was overrated going into this year.

WTF, this is the kind if stuff about preseason that drives me nuts. Nobody, I mean NOBODY can get their story straight here.
Sounds pretty straight to me.

1) Charles got injured in practice.

2) Walked off field but was carted to locker room.

3) First XRays (bones) were negative.

4) Still hurts and he is having trouble putting weight on it.

5) MRIs are forth coming for other possible mechanical damage.

6) Depending on who you asked and at what you asked you had varying responses on the severity, emotions and limited information.

I think you would be at the same spot in the regular season game.

In ppr he could go off and be rb1 if he fell to late first round and than you swing around and got dez I think Ud b pretty good.

More details just in...Andy Reid was simply sending Mr. Charles to the local Five Guys for Andy's afternoon double cheese with mushrooms and a large fry. Nothing to see here.

In ppr he could go off and be rb1 if he fell to late first round and than you swing around and got dez I think Ud b pretty good.
this is pretty much what i meant above. if he falls to the late first and he goes off as rb1, he could be a huge steal.

FYI, in an auction last night where folks were aware of this story, he went for $55 (out of $250). I snagged Knile for $3 late just in case. Honestly, I hope he's fine, but that late in the draft, why the heck not take a stab?

What I find amusing is on Twitter, they are giving us a play by play of his life right now.

Unreal how people and the media spazz because people want to know about their fantasy players having a sore foot.

This coming from an obsessed fantasy football nut, the need to be ahead of everything by the media is so unreal they almost look like gossip columnists.

Bathroom break:

Adam Teicher @adamteicher

After riding exercise bike using hand levers only, Charles is.now leaving practice field. Not wearing boot on injured right foot

The problem here is you assume he is indeed banged up and that affects your decision.

Go back to 2011. THe perception on Foster was similar and in that case he did in fact have a lingering banged up issue. But...he still finished top 3 RB and those people that let him fall to 1.10 or so got destroyed as soon as the calendar turned to October :)

I can still recall those sounds..."Dangit! I knew i shouldn't have taken Chris Johnson/DMAC/Insert your other Rb here!

Multiple K.C. beat writers reporting on twitter than Charles has met with two orthepedists and his foot checked out with both. He is day-to-day.

All of the Jamaal Charles owners, take a deep breath and go celebrate with a cold one.

Multiple K.C. beat writers reporting on twitter than Charles has met with two orthepedists and his foot checked out with both. He is day-to-day.

All of the Jamaal Charles owners, take a deep breath and go celebrate with a cold one.
Good, now get to practice, kid!! That's the next step.

Rotoworld...

After meeting with two orthopedics, Jamaal Charles (foot) has been listed as day to day. Analysis: The Chiefs can breathe a sigh of relief. Everything has checked out just fine with Charles' foot and he could be back on the practice field as soon as Wednesday. His injury is being called a "strain."

Did he wipe after taking a deuce is all I want to know, I'm sure that is on twitter somewhere. :toilet:

I'll check back for the update. :popcorn:

no more practice, next he steps on the field is gameday if it was up to me
me too
Let me guess, you guys are already Charles owners.

For those of us who have yet to redraft, a little practice would do wonders.

Would anyone still take him over Martin after this scare in a ppr redraft?
I have the exact same decision and previously was going to go Charles. I just have a major man crush on the guy watching him play and obviously should be special in the Andy Reid offense.

But I agree with all those that say the 1st round pick should be all about the safest option (all else being equal). Assuming complete recovery, I would still take Charles at 3-5 no hesitation, but this is enough of a scare to go with the Artist Formerly Known as the Muscle Hamster at #2.

me too

times 2, and gave up a lot for him in both

me too

+5. I would not draft Charles in the first 5 picks if he has not practiced before game 1 (assuming you get a late draft) because there is no need for me to have to "guess" on my top first rd picks' health. Why invite the headache. I'd draft the next guy I have slotted there.

If you already have him, I get why you would not want him to practice--you're stuck whether you like it or not.

Would anyone still take him over Martin after this scare in a ppr redraft?
I have the exact same decision and previously was going to go Charles. I just have a major man crush on the guy watching him play and obviously should be special in the Andy Reid offense.

But I agree with all those that say the 1st round pick should be all about the safest option (all else being equal). Assuming complete recovery, I would still take Charles at 3-5 no hesitation, but this is enough of a scare to go with the Artist Formerly Known as the Muscle Hamster at #2.
I would still take him if I learn he practiced during the week without any setbacks. Prior, to that, I would not draft Charles ahead of Martin for now.

My draft is after almost all the preseason games are done--good and bad, so we'll see.

Things are tougher if I had to draft this Saturday and I'd have to pass.

whether that pick is Martin is another issue ;) .

Copying series of thoughts I just tweeted. Read from the bottom please. :)

Detail from Charles' trainer is excellent news. Not entirely out of the woods, but should be trustworthy if you're drafting this weekend.

1. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel3m
    Rare to get specific information like that about an injury. @proatc arguably best in his business. Great that he was allowed to share.

Expand
  2. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel5m
    If strain near bone, medical staff will not want to risk chance that injured tendon separates from bone or risk avulsion fracture of 5th met

Expand
  3. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel6m
    Very good sign that they are allowing Charles to weight bear, but if strain is near metatarsal, they'll go very slowly with him.

Expand
  4. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel7m
    Second, makes more sense that team "reassured" by negative "precautionary" x-ray. Most important nearby structure there is fifth metatarsal.

Expand
  5. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel8m
    First, that's not where the most concerning midfoot structures live. So reports that team not concerned about Lisfranc, etc. are reasonable.

6. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel9m
    Injury felt to be tendon strain at outside of foot. Can infer lots of important details from that piece of information.

7. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel10m
    From @adamteicher via Chiefs trainer Rick Burkholder, diagnostic code on Charles has been (hopefully) cracked ~ http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/13/4407292/charles-rides-bike-at-chiefs-practice.html

me too

+5. I would not draft Charles in the first 5 picks if he has not practiced before game 1 (assuming you get a late draft) because there is no need for me to have to "guess" on my top first rd picks' health. Why invite the headache. I'd draft the next guy I have slotted there.If you already have him, I get why you would not want him to practice--you're stuck whether you like it or not.
Just as long as you feel the same about RGIII ....

Agree. Give me a whole bunch of those 13 point (ppr) first drives like he put up the other night....when it counts.

me too

+5. I would not draft Charles in the first 5 picks if he has not practiced before game 1 (assuming you get a late draft) because there is no need for me to have to "guess" on my top first rd picks' health. Why invite the headache. I'd draft the next guy I have slotted there.If you already have him, I get why you would not want him to practice--you're stuck whether you like it or not.
Just as long as you feel the same about RGIII ....
i do. rg3 is practicing 11 on 11 drills....at least starting Wednesday :)

Copying series of thoughts I just tweeted. Read from the bottom please. :)

Detail from Charles' trainer is excellent news. Not entirely out of the woods, but should be trustworthy if you're drafting this weekend.

1. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel3m
    Rare to get specific information like that about an injury. @proatc arguably best in his business. Great that he was allowed to share.

Expand
  2. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel5m
    If strain near bone, medical staff will not want to risk chance that injured tendon separates from bone or risk avulsion fracture of 5th met

Expand
  3. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel6m
    Very good sign that they are allowing Charles to weight bear, but if strain is near metatarsal, they'll go very slowly with him.

Expand
  4. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel7m
    Second, makes more sense that team "reassured" by negative "precautionary" x-ray. Most important nearby structure there is fifth metatarsal.

Expand
  5. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel8m
    First, that's not where the most concerning midfoot structures live. So reports that team not concerned about Lisfranc, etc. are reasonable.

6. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel9m
    Injury felt to be tendon strain at outside of foot. Can infer lots of important details from that piece of information.

7. Jene Bramel@JeneBramel10m
    From @adamteicher via Chiefs trainer Rick Burkholder, diagnostic code on Charles has been (hopefully) cracked ~ http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/13/4407292/charles-rides-bike-at-chiefs-practice.html

So, now we want to know if the injury was near the bone, right? And then he is in the clear? Great post. Thank you.

So, we do not know how close his injury was to the bone yet, right?

We do not know if he is danger of reinjuring but it is better than nothing--he'd play if he'd have to.

The most recent news available is from rotoworld:

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk Jamaal Charles (foot) is unlikely to suit up for Friday's preseason game, but would play if it were the regular season.
The Chiefs have no reason to push the envelope with their best player. Rookie Knile Davis should get the start against the 49ers. Charles has a good shot at being ready for Kansas City's regular season dress rehearsal against the Steelers on August 24. Aug 14 - 3:34 PM

I had a strained foot last month. I took it easy for five days, functioned normally, just didn't go running. My foot is fine.

Everything I read on Charles says he is FINE. No injury. X-ray negative. MRI negative.

Why do people insist on saying reports are mixed, we aren't sure, etc; the over reaction and ignoring of all the tests and facts is truly ridiculous.

I had a strained foot last month. I took it easy for five days, functioned normally, just didn't go running. My foot is fine.

Everything I read on Charles says he is FINE. No injury. X-ray negative. MRI negative.

Why do people insist on saying reports are mixed, we aren't sure, etc; the over reaction and ignoring of all the tests and facts is truly ridiculous.
Well at least I feel comfortable taking you among the first five picks now. NFL coaches and teams have a history of not being completely forthcoming regarding injuries. A couple years ago when McFadden had a sprained foot the Raiders said he might play the next week and he never made it back the rest of the season. I will not feel comfortable with Charles till he at least starts practicing again.

I'll take on this one.

Because Jene Bramel's tweets showed that there would be concern depending on WHERE the strain was--if it was near the bone, there is a chance he could injure it more.

So, if news comes out it was near the bone, I am staying away. THAT is why I was curious as to the extent/details of the injury.

Jene Bramel@JeneBramel5m

Charles practices, per rotoworld.

Jamaal Charles returned to Chiefs practice Sunday and participated "with no hesitation" following last week's foot scare.
Charles admitted the right foot strain "caused soreness to travel halfway up his leg," but he's good to go now. He called the minor injury "weird" and "definitely scary" in a pre-practice interview with reporters. The Chiefs have not decided Charles' availability for their third exhibition game. Profootballtalk.com has reported Charles is likely done for the remainder of preseason.

Users who are viewing this thread