What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

J-E-T-S RB situation (1 Viewer)

Kilgore

Footballguy
Anybody have any insight into this? Is Bilal the #1 on the depth chart? Is Ivory sliding? Concerned owners are dying to know!

TIA,

KT

I was a bit down on Ivory ..... but the Jets have run the ball this pre-season some ... I expect a full load from him game 1

now is that 20-65-0 or 22-118-2 ??

who knows

Ivory will be the starter , bilal will see plenty of snaps before week 5, as Goodson is suspended the first 4 games... Probably will be the third down back, ivory will probably get it on the goal..

Line has looked pretty good in preseason

I disagree about the line looking good. They are only averaging 3.2 yards per carry in the preseason. The run-blocking should improve with Ducasse starting (almost hard to believe it as I type it. He had looked completely lost before this season).

Ivory hasn't looked good at all, but that might be due to missing a lot camp reps with the hamstring injury. Powell has looked pretty good, but he is a jack of all trades and master of none. Ivory and Powell are going to share reps. Once Goodson is added to the mix, I expect all three to share reps with Goodson mostly in on third down.

Even as a Jets fan I'm avoiding this situation.

I would discount the 4th game for ypc, the line looked bad with all starters on the bench, my eyes in games 2 and 3 thought it looked ok,

I don't think they were pushing ivory, I think we'll get a good solid look at what he can do in game 1, they were taking it very easy on him, the wildcat was mixed in with some success as well.

Thought the run game looked ok this preseason overall..

Ivory was the only Jet drafted in my 10-team 15-round draft (no Team Def or IDP).

And it was by me as my RB6 at pick #134 and I hated doing it b/c I kinda thought the Jets might get shut out of our entire draft.

And I'll probably cut him in my first transaction.

But who knows, you have to think the game plan is running and defense for the Jets. So maybe he surprises :shrug:

-QG

Ivory has shown no signs he can stay healthy, if he does he will likely start but I think Powell is the back to own mostly because his cost is so much lower. This team is going to be terrible, but their main problem last year was turnovers and the passing game stalling out. Green was a top 15 rb in the dumpster fire that was the 2012 NYJ.

Ivory has shown no signs he can stay healthy, if he does he will likely start but I think Powell is the back to own mostly because his cost is so much lower. This team is going to be terrible, but their main problem last year was turnovers and the passing game stalling out. Green was a top 15 rb in the dumpster fire that was the 2012 NYJ.
His inability to stay healthy cannot be underestimated..

The Jets running back played in only 22 games over three seasons at Washington State because of injuries, achieving rushing stats in 14 of them (thanks to sports-reference.com).

When he transferred to Tiffin University after getting kicked off the Cougars he played very well in five games before a knee injury sidelined him for the rest of the season. Between both schools Ivory never played more than five consecutive games in college.

Ivory went undrafted but the Saints picked him up before the 2010 season. That year he hurt his knee (MCL), suffered a concussion, a separated shoulder and a hamstring strain before a Lisfranc injury capped his season. Only three of the injuries (knee, hamstring, foot) cost him playing time -- he managed to play in 11 straight games (12 total).

A sports hernia in August of 2011 forced him to begin that year on the PUP list. He was activated in Week 9 but was out for Weeks 10-14 with a hamstring injury. Ivory played in six games in 2011 with a high of four consecutive games.

During OTAs in the spring of 2012 he hurt his hamstring and was a "healthy scratch" until November. He played five straight games before his hamstrings cost him three more games.

Ivory already cost himself 17 days of camp this summer with a hamstring problem.
He's talented but his durability is clearly a very serious concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for what it's worth, his ADP is still 69, and Dodds has him ranked 66.

Bilal, by contrast, has an ADP of 156, and Dodds has him ranked 147.

In my 14-team league, I got Ivory as the 31st RB taken, at the start of the 5th (basically the last viable starter left).

Bilal was the 45th RB taken, at the start of the 9th, 56 picks later. So both went well ahead of their projections.

I'm praying that Ivory wasn't a wasted pick. Certainly not the RB I wanted there, but thought he was the RB I had to take.

I don't see much news about Ivory. Is he banged up CURRENTLY?

TIA,

KT

If it makes anyone feel better, I actually took Ivory ahead of his ADP, at the back end of the fourth round of a sixteen-team draft. Simply put, I'm betting on him and may regret it, but I've always liked the way he runs. I already had Lynch, R. Bush, and Lacy, so I didn't look at it like too much of a gamble.

I remember when Lynch was going in the 8th round in 2011, Rotoworld was advising people to drop him, and I'd jumped to take him right where I took Ivory. I didn't regret it the second half of that year.

Goodson may be the back to own by the end of the year.
You have to wonder about the felony charges for weapons and drugs. It's not like work takes precedence over felonies, as we have seen.

eta* in other words, he may be tied up in court or possibly punished before his suspension is even over, depending on how quickly the justice system moves with him.

You have to wonder about the felony charges for weapons and drugs. It's not like work takes precedence over felonies, as we have seen.

eta* in other words, he may be tied up in court or possibly punished before his suspension is even over, depending on how quickly the justice system moves with him.
No court dates have been set yet so I'm guessing he will make it through the season.

eta* he was arrested in may they don't seem to be in a hurry.

No court dates have been set yet so I'm guessing he will make it through the season.

eta* he was arrested in may they don't seem to be in a hurry.
Very true -- but you never know. I'd just be worried adding him and I'm not sure anybody drafted him, unless you're in a really deep league.

Definitely a possibility and at the very least he has a higher ceiling than Powell. There's a reason he's moved between teams over the past several years (CAR, OAK and now NYJ) however and I think it pertains to durability and ball security issues.

Got Ivory in the 10th rd (99 overall) yesterday. For a 4th RB, I'll take a shot on him having any upside.

Hard to predict what my Jets will do. For the first four games, I would expect 65/35 Ivory/Powell, as long as Ivory is healthy. Goodson is a total wild card. He's exactly what the Jets need on offense on paper as a compliment to Ivory. He's made big plays in limited time before, and if he looks good, I think he'll be a nice PPR sleeper when he gets back.

There will likely be value in this backfield by season's end, but it's very hard to predict right now.

Hard to predict what my Jets will do. For the first four games, I would expect 65/35 Ivory/Powell, as long as Ivory is healthy. Goodson is a total wild card. He's exactly what the Jets need on offense on paper as a compliment to Ivory. He's made big plays in limited time before, and if he looks good, I think he'll be a nice PPR sleeper when he gets back.

There will likely be value in this backfield by season's end, but it's very hard to predict right now.
I agree that Goodson is a real wildcard; he could be worth nothing. However, Goodson is an extrely talented back who has never lived up to his enormous potential. If he has gets life in order, gets himself into shape and plays focused and motivated, Goodson could be a quality starter.

I agree that Goodson is a real wildcard; he could be worth nothing. However, Goodson is an extrely talented back who has never lived up to his enormous potential. If he has gets life in order, gets himself into shape and plays focused and motivated, Goodson could be a quality starter.
I have to agree, Goodson is a talented RB. I own him in 3 dynasty leagues, but I am worried that the Alex Green signing might pave the way for Goodson's exit due to his legal concerns. We'll see.

Glad I found a guy willing to take Ivory and Lacy off my hands for Ray Rice. I think Lacy will be fine, but I have ZERO confidence in ANY offensive player on the Jets, including Ivory due to the complete and utter lack of any talented QB's or WR's on their roster.

Does the depth chart make sense? I mean is Powell really the starting rb or is it going to be him in for the first play and a whole bunch of Ivory after that?

Glad I found a guy willing to take Ivory and Lacy off my hands for Ray Rice. I think Lacy will be fine, but I have ZERO confidence in ANY offensive player on the Jets, including Ivory due to the complete and utter lack of any talented QB's or WR's on their roster.
Steal and a half for you.

people think the Jets are gonna be just as bad on offense as last year... but that's almost impossible to do. the new WCO with Marty Morningwheg (sp?) is actually a functional system. Unlike the Tony Sparano crapshow.

They will score points and take shots.

if the Jets run 35 times ... what's the breakdown?

TBB doesn't have the run D it had last year if pre-season is any indication

Ivory 20

Powell 10

other 5 ?

You'd have to think Powell on 3rd downs, goal line Ivory ??

people think the Jets are gonna be just as bad on offense as last year... but that's almost impossible to do. the new WCO with Marty Morningwheg (sp?) is actually a functional system. Unlike the Tony Sparano crapshow.

They will score points and take shots.
On the ground or in the air?

RW's take..

Bilal Powell is listed as the starting running back on the Jets' Week 1 depth chart, with Chris Ivory at No. 2.
The Jets appear poised to go with a committee in Week 1, but early-down thumper Ivory could still easily end up the chairman. Ivory had a roughtraining
camp and preseason, but Powell was barely replacement level as a runner last season, and has averaged 3.7 yards on his 123 career carries. That's compared to 5.1 YPC on 256 lifetime totes for Ivory. Our best guess is that Ivory will get the majority of the work on first and second down with Powell keeping the seat warm for Mike Goodson in third-down/passing situations. That's despite the fact that Powell was less than impressive as a pass catcher and protector in August. Goodson is serving a four-game suspension.

(Rotoworld)ESPN New York reports Bilal Powell has been struggling to catch the ball out of the backfield and in pass protection.

Analysis: Beat writer Rich Cimini is handing the third-down job to Mike Goodson once he returns from his four-game suspension. The Jets need someone to fill the role while he's out. Powell's "had a couple of drops and pass-protection issues." Cimini thinks Gang Green could look to ex-Jet Leon Washington to fill the role if he ends up getting cut by the Patriots. Powell has minimal upside and isn't worth a roster spot in standard 10- and 12-team leagues.

On the ground or in the air?
mostly thru the air.... since it's Andy Reid's offense alot of screens to RBs.

The running plays are mostly draws and counters, alot of the shotgun.

Both Sparano and Schotty (the Jets last two coordinators) were very predictable with bringing in run heavy personnel and then running. This new system is not like that at all. I was made fun of by other FBG for pointing out that the Jets were 5th in PPG this preseason. But it is a much better system.

Ivory is living up to his billing as guy I'm most likely to make my first cut of the season when I need/want to pick someone up.

-QG

Powell was cut in one of my leagues and sitting out there on the wire. No one seems to like him, but good god, a starting RB has to be rostered, right?

Powell was cut in one of my leagues and sitting out there on the wire. No one seems to like him, but good god, a starting RB has to be rostered, right?
I am thinking of cutting him in dynasty for Cierre Wood or Michael Cox. Not too sure about that now, because of exactly what you said above.

I just can't see how Powell retains the job. They brought in both Ivory and Goodson over Powell in the off-season and now that Goodson is suspended, they picked up Alex Green for at least the next few weeks. In my opinion, best case for Powell is he plays in a timeshare for the next 2-3 weeks while Ivory gets fully back from the injury, Goodson is suspended, and Green learns the offense. After that, I think he ends up as third or fourth on the depth chart with almost no value. And this is coming from a guy who owns Powell.

Goodson, Ivory or Green? Not exactly the tri-fecta of talent there.

Why couldn't Powell beat them out as the tallest midget? Seems like Bloom and Waldman have been high on him for a couple years.

Why couldn't Powell beat them out as the tallest midget? Seems like Bloom and Waldman have been high on him for a couple years.
Powell "could" suddenly turn the corner and beat them out but I don't see it. The only one I think he might beat out is Green.

Powell 3.7 ypc (123 rushes)

Green 3.4 ypc (138 rushes)

Goodson 4.5 ypc (160 rushes)

Ivory 5.1 ypc (256 rushes)

Powell "could" suddenly turn the corner and beat them out but I don't see it. The only one I think he might beat out is Green. Powell 3.7 ypc (123 rushes)

These ypc numbers aren't apples to apples. Totally different offenses and situations.

Powell "could" suddenly turn the corner and beat them out but I don't see it. The only one I think he might beat out is Green. Powell 3.7 ypc (123 rushes)

These ypc numbers aren't apples to apples. Totally different offenses and situations.
Agreed. They aren't apples to apples but when your talking a full yard to a yard and a half, that's a big difference regardless of offensive situation.

Powell clearly the guy to own right now. Ivory has been banged up, played off the bench, has never caught passes and is not starting. Why are we supposed to think that will change?

If they actually start Powell over Ivory, I'm going to bang my head against bricks. Oh, wait. There's something for that. :wall:

To the guy that got someone to trade Rice for Ivory and Lacy -- that's exactly the type of deal I'm looking for. Only I'm not sure to get it.

Ivory is living up to his billing as guy I'm most likely to make my first cut of the season when I need/want to pick someone up.

-QG
This worries me.
LOL I'm sure it does :)

Anyway as someone who lives in the area the wiseguy angle still seems to be that Ivory is the guy - or that it'll be a full blown committee. The carry breakdown in the first game will be the most telling thing - i.e. are they just trying to light a fire under Ivory by naming Powell starter.

I'm not convinced that Powell would be able to do anything more than get into a time-share.

-QG

I just can't see how Powell retains the job. They brought in both Ivory and Goodson over Powell in the off-season and now that Goodson is suspended, they picked up Alex Green for at least the next few weeks. In my opinion, best case for Powell is he plays in a timeshare for the next 2-3 weeks while Ivory gets fully back from the injury, Goodson is suspended, and Green learns the offense. After that, I think he ends up as third or fourth on the depth chart with almost no value. And this is coming from a guy who owns Powell.
I don't agree. The Alex Green signing was for depth, given that Goodson is out and they basically had an injury ridden Ivory and Powell. They needed someone else in case Powell gets hurt, but he isn't there because they think he is better. Goodson has barely practiced with the team and no preseason. He isn't going to step in and take anything over in week 5. Plus, Goodson is injury prone himself and is a guy who has been touted for a while but has never been able to seize a job. Then you have Ivory, who is more talented than Powell, but hasn't been able to stay healthy even in preseason.

Powell is going to see a lot of reps just because he will be the most experienced, most reliable, most healthy guy left standing. And reps can translate into a useful fantasy player even if his is just a JAG.

276 - 1063 - 8

That was Shonne Greene at 3.85 per carry.

Powell last year year was at 3.97 per carry.

Powell looked better on every rush over Ivory this preseason.

powell was there for every snap of mini camp and trianing camp, he was the primary guy all summer.

that being said, ivory was banged up for the start of camp and they eased him in slow.

i do think the team knows they need to limit ivory's carries.

powell was used in some pistol and wildcat formations they unveiled a bit during the preseason.

I dont think he is going anwyhere.

i think we can see anywhere from 8-15 touches a game, with limited goalline. If Ivory gets hurt I do think he will get the goalline then.

When goodson comes back, powell will lose some third down carries and touches.

We are looking at a 3 headed monster.

hes worth rostering in deeper leagues and someone to keep an eye on if ivory gets hurt.

If Goodson does come back to the team - I could see Powell ending up the odd man out. Ivory is a better runner, Goodson is a better third down back and Green has a rare size speed combo that I'd like to see him harness into an effective RB.

Users who are viewing this thread