What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jack Lambert in his prime (1 Viewer)

Pretty impressive highlight reel.  Even if most of them are cheap shots.  :boxing:

Could a guy as thin as he was be effective vs. today's mammoth O-lineman?
The O-lines were smaller then as well.Lambert would have grown as much as eveybody else did in the NFL.

Jack is a guy you would want on your team. Only 2 cheap shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty impressive highlight reel. Even if most of them are cheap shots. :boxing:

The O-lines were smaller then as well.Lambert would have grown as much as eveybody else did in the NFL.
Maybe you misunderstood my question.Could Jack Lambert, in his prime, at the 160 pounds ( :P ) or whatever weight he played at, succeed in the NFL today. He would not only have to deal with 300 lb. guards, but FBs who weigh much more than he did.

I'm big into hypotheticals.

Like.... what if the Raiders didn't suck every year.

Figured I'd save y'all the trouble. :thumbup:

isn't the dude in the HOF? I think the obvious answer is yes. He was just mean enough to scare the piss out of everyone on the field. I don't think meanness is weight related.

Outside of a handful of QBs, Kickers, and Punters, I would argue no player from pre-1980 or so would be able to succeed in todays game. Some players back then with massive talent, but this has become a size/speed game. Players back then had neither compared to todays players on the whole.

Outside of a handful of QBs, Kickers, and Punters, I would argue no player from pre-1980 or so would be able to succeed in todays game.

Some players back then with massive talent, but this has become a size/speed game. Players back then had neither compared to todays players on the whole.
As usual, diesel knows what time it is. :thumbup:

Call me crazy if you wish, but not only do I think Lambert would not "succeed"... but I would dare say that he wouldn't even be able to be a backup in todays game.

:shrug:

Outside of a handful of QBs, Kickers, and Punters, I would argue no player from pre-1980 or so would be able to succeed in todays game.

Some players back then with massive talent, but this has become a size/speed game. Players back then had neither compared to todays players on the whole.
As usual, diesel knows what time it is. :thumbup:

Call me crazy if you wish, but not only do I think Lambert would not "succeed"... but I would dare say that he wouldn't even be able to be a backup in todays game.

:shrug:
At his playing weight, no, it just wouldn't be possible. However, get Jack on the weight training/nutrition that everyone has today and I think the intensity that he brought to the game would make him a dominant player.

This question has been asked many times, and every single person who has ever played with or against Jack Lambert has the same answer. Yes.

This question has been asked many times, and every single person who has ever played with or against Jack Lambert has the same answer.

Yes.
So what you are saying is that a bunch of players who have no experience playing in todays NFL think he could succeed in todays NFL? Id rather see a bunch of today's players and coaches say the 160lb 5.0-40yddash(guessing) Lambert would succeed in taking on a block from 250lb Lorenzo Neal and then shedding off him to make a play on a 225 lb Ladanian Tomlinson with sub 4.5 speed.

Lambert was a great player...in his time. This is hardly the same game though. Same rules, different game.

John Elway on Jack Lambert.."He had no teethe, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, you can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant. I cant tell you how badly I wanted out of there" Elways first play from scrimmage in the NFL

This question has been asked many times, and every single person who has ever played with or against Jack Lambert has the same answer.

Yes.
So what you are saying is that a bunch of players who have no experience playing in todays NFL think he could succeed in todays NFL? Id rather see a bunch of today's players and coaches say the 160lb 5.0-40yddash(guessing) Lambert would succeed in taking on a block from 250lb Lorenzo Neal and then shedding off him to make a play on a 225 lb Ladanian Tomlinson with sub 4.5 speed.

Lambert was a great player...in his time. This is hardly the same game though. Same rules, different game.
you are pretty stupid. Lambert was 6'4, 220lbs. Yeah, the book on him as a 2nd round draft pick was he "needed to add weight". didn't stop him from dominating for 11yrs and waltzing into the Hall of Fame, did it? Lambert would beat the hell out of today's players just like he did 25 yrs ago, because he was nasty, he played all out and he hit like a 280lber.

Yes.

you are pretty stupid. Lambert was 6'4, 220lbs. Yeah, the book on him as a 2nd round draft pick was he "needed to add weight". didn't stop him from dominating for 11yrs and waltzing into the Hall of Fame, did it? Lambert would beat the hell out of today's players just like he did 25 yrs ago, because he was nasty, he played all out and he hit like a 280lber.
Sadly, that was the smartest thing you typed there. Smart as in, its the only thing that has some chance of being correct.

Pretty impressive highlight reel. Even if most of them are cheap shots. :boxing:

Maybe you misunderstood my question.Could Jack Lambert, in his prime, at the 160 pounds ( :P ) or whatever weight he played at, succeed in the NFL today. He would not only have to deal with 300 lb. guards, but FBs who weigh much more than he did.

He was a 220 lb Middle LB moron. NOT A LINEMAN. So he was at worst 20-30 lbs lighter than todays LBs....and 3 times as nasty and dedicated. You did notice the people he hit going backwards, didn't you?

jack was great sure, but let's be honest, someone like tomlinson would run him the #### over.
You do realize that Lambert played 2 games a yr and sometimes 3 times against Earl Campbell and Pete Johnson.

I know let's say Jack was a little french girl with ponytails, would he still dominate in today's NFL. No, really.

jack was great sure, but let's be honest, someone like tomlinson would run him the #### over.
Maybe he would...once. What you would then see is Lambert living in the weight room, working out like a ######## fiend, and occassionally glancing at a calender with the next Pitt-SD game circled in red ink.

My understanding is that what he lacked in size and talent he made up for with intimidation. Today I think we have enough defenders laying knockout punches that I'm not sure he'd have been as effective.All in all though the great ones seem to find a way to be the best. If he practiced against today's better athletes he still probably would have been a gem.

lambert played in the NFL at about 6'4", 220 pounds. he would not even get a chance at being a middle linebacker in the NFL now, but he would make a ferocious safety. one thing is for certain, he would definitely be in the NFL and you damn well better believe he'd be a pittsburgh steeler.

His playign weight was at 220#. You'd have to think that if he played today with some condition and strength training that he could get up 245 without losing much speed. I'd take Lambert + 25 pounds in a matchup of any RB you can think of today.

His playing weight was at 220#. You'd have to think that if he played today with some condition and strength training that he could get up 245 without losing much speed. I'd take Lambert + 25 pounds in a matchup of any RB you can think of today.
Absolutely.It's funny how this hypothecial question is "phrased":

1. If Lambert was playing today.

2. If everyone else playing today was as they are now.

3. If Lambert didn't do the physical improvements to his body and speed.

Why not also add this:

4. If Lambert didn't have any legs.

I'm not sure of the purpose of this one-sided hypothetical you're throwing out there, but it sounds like you just aren't willing to give the olden-days players any credit for THEIR ability and THEIR drive.

Succeed? He wouldn't even make a team. Hell, if Jack Lambert had been born 25 years later he probably never would have gone into football.He would, however, have made one hell of an Ultimate Fighting Champion.

He was a 220 lb Middle LB moron. NOT A LINEMAN.
:rolleyes: Thanks for the insight. Don't know what I would have done without you.

:thumbup:

There are only two categories to put NFL players in; football player or athlete. Jack Lambert was a football player and one of the best; these types of players could play play the game at a high level in any era.

There are only two categories to put NFL players in; football player or athlete. Jack Lambert was a football player and one of the best; these types of players could play play the game at a high level in any era.
:goodposting: The hypothetical as posed (i.e., Jack Lambert with no benefit from today's training/nutrition in today's NFL) is useless. It is equivalent to saying he stepped into a time warp during his prime and arrived in 2006... could he play? And even if that happened, as someone else said, he'd be a great safety.

Jim Brown? Sayers? OJ? Plenty of guys that had the talent to succeed today. Yes, size is a big issue today, but older guys were probably better football players. Today, everybody goes for the highlight hit & thus tackling is horrible.As for Lambert, no question he'd be successful today. He was the leader of one of the greatest defenses the game has seen. Only Ray Lewis comes close to matching him in intimidation. Lambert was just wired differently, guys today wouldn't know what to make of that freak.

His playing weight was at 220#. You'd have to think that if he played today with some condition and strength training that he could get up 245 without losing much speed. I'd take Lambert + 25 pounds in a matchup of any RB you can think of today.

Why not also add this:

I'm not sure of the purpose of this one-sided hypothetical you're throwing out there, but it sounds like you just aren't willing to give the olden-days players any credit for THEIR ability and THEIR drive.
This thread is terrible and it's ridiculous to try to compare players from other eras who didn't have the benefit of sports science that guys today do. Does anyone think Lambert had a personal trainer telling him which exercises to do and cooking meals for him?Lambert would have worked out and had an Adam Archuleta transformation:

When Archuleta began the Evo-Sport program, he benched 265 pounds in 2.76 seconds in the concentric or ascending phase of the lift. He squatted 273 in 3.47 seconds, ran the 40 in 4.79-4.81 and had a 26-inch vertical jump. Today, his personal best in the bench press is 530 pounds in 1.09 seconds and in the squat, 663 pounds in 1.24 seconds. At an individual workout for NFL scouts, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds and jumped 39 inches vertically.

:rolleyes: Thanks for the insight. Don't know what I would have done without you.

You are the idgit saying he was 160 lbs and couldn't go against 300 lb lineman. If you don't think this guy could succeed today you have no clue as to what a true "football player" is.

His playing weight was at 220#.  You'd have to think that if he played today with some condition and strength training that he could get up 245 without losing much speed.  I'd take Lambert + 25 pounds in a matchup of any RB you can think of today.

Why not also add this:

This thread is terrible and it's ridiculous to try to compare players from other eras who didn't have the benefit of sports science that guys today do. Does anyone think Lambert had a personal trainer telling him which exercises to do and cooking meals for him?Lambert would have worked out and had an Adam Archuleta transformation:

When Archuleta began the Evo-Sport program, he benched 265 pounds in 2.76 seconds in the concentric or ascending phase of the lift. He squatted 273 in 3.47 seconds, ran the 40 in 4.79-4.81 and had a 26-inch vertical jump. Today, his personal best in the bench press is 530 pounds in 1.09 seconds and in the squat, 663 pounds in 1.24 seconds. At an individual workout for NFL scouts, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds and jumped 39 inches vertically.
evo-sport = human growth hormone

People get all worked up over size and speed, but instincts, desire, and technique are more important, IMO.I don't think football was a year-round job until the 80's, and it didn't turn into a science until the 90's, with all the trainers, supplements, workout routines, steroids, etc. Personally, I think if Lambert in his prime stepped into a time machine and got off in todays NFL, he'd still be a star.If you think Lambert would not be good, then you'd have to say Ali, Foreman, and Frazier would get dominated by today's heavyweights.

:goodposting:

I'm reminded of the guy who asked John Madden (I think it was Madden) how many yards he thought Jim Brown would be able to rush for in "today's NFL". Madden answered, "He'd be lucky to get to 1000 yards." When asked what made him think that, he explained, "Gee, the guy's over 60 years old! What do you want?"Same thing here. He was great for a reason. James Farrior outwieghs him by 20 pounds and is playing at or near All-Pro level. Even at the time he played, Lambert was on the small side. Anyone who watched him live knows that those 20 pounds are as meaningless now as they were then.

Earl Campbell would dominate today.

His fellow all-pro LB - Jack Hamm, was 6'1" 225lbs - an all pro for 8 years running. Randy Gradishar, another of the greatest every to play the game was 6'3" 232. Woody Hayes said he was the best lb he'd ever seen. I would take any three of those guys today....just because they don't weigh 250 lbs doesn't mean they wouldn't still dominate at their position today.

My other personal story occured during a very important Sunday scrimmage we had shortly before the season started. We were all very tired and ornery after several weeks of camp, and I -- like everyone else -- was in no mood for anyone to be hassling me. I was a 6'3", 240-pound rookie tight end, so I had about 20 pounds on Lambert. The particular play called for me to release inside and block down hard on Lambert to set up a sweep around the right side. Lambert didn't see me coming until the last instant. He tried to square up but couldn't, and I drilled him -- just floored him. The play went for a score, and he got up cussing and yelling with the wildest eyes I've ever seen! I was fairly certain that Mr. Lambert did not appreciate being decked, especially by a rookie like me. Making sure that everyone (especially Lambert) could hear him, Coach Noll runs over to me and yells "Great block, Mark! Super hit! You knocked Jack flat on his ###! That's what I wanna see from every tight end in camp! Now let's go, line it up again right now, same play!" Oh ####, Coach! You gotta be kiddin' me! Run it again? Oh, ####! I glanced over at Lambert, who was now clearly cranked up a couple of notches beyond ferocious. Had he any teeth, he would have been spitting through them. As we broke the huddle, Noll brushed by me with a thin-lipped grin and half-whispered in my ear-hole, "Let's see what happens this time, rookie." So we line it up again, and by this time Lambert is practically jumping out of his skin. I feel a virtual hug of kinship and understanding from a number of my offensive teammates, some of whom lowered their heads (perhaps in a brief silent prayer for me). On defense, they were all smiles... they knew what was coming. So Bradshaw takes the snap and L.C. Greenwood (nicknamed "Hollywood Bags") mysteriously allows me to slip past him without a touch (wow, I'm pretty quick, huh?) and before I could go more than about three steps, WHAM! Lambert hits me at full speed and flattens me like I'm a 3rd string punter! Not to be cliche, but I suspect my momma felt that hit... it left me a bit dazed. Lambert then steps on me and catapults over my body to make a vicious hit on Thunder Thornton (our 2nd-year running back), who was trailing me on the play. Needless to say, Jack stopped Thornton cold, then proceeded to stand over me, screaming and hollering and calling me some very bad names. In the heat of the moment, I lost my head. As Lambert turned to walk away, I dug my way out from under Thornton (who was still draped across my legs, perhaps shaking out the cobwebs), angrily scrambled to me feet and took a swing at Lambert, catching him flush across the earhole. In retrospect, that was not a very smart thing for a rookie tight end to do to an already angry Jack Lambert. I thought he was mad before... but he wasn't. Now he was mad. We exchanged some wild punches -- and what can only be described as "colorful" language -- before the coaches and some teammates pulled us apart. I was never so relieved in my life! I didn't sense that relief from him, however.
funny story about Lambert

Pretty impressive highlight reel.  Even if most of them are cheap shots.  :boxing:

You are the idgit saying he was 160 lbs and couldn't go against 300 lb lineman.
Me saying he was 160 lbs. = :sarcasm: Go back and notice the :P which I parenthetically included IMMEDIATELY after the comment, and also notice that I have not edited that post. It was there all along.

I'm embarrassed for you that you are this thick.

And if you call me a "idgit" one more time, we are gonna have a problem.

:11:

I don't understand all of this talk about size. Isn't Ray Lewis shorter by a couple of inches with only about 20 lbs of added size? He's been pretty good.There are literally dozens of NFL ready college kids coming out that fall into this same weight range with less height. If they can be successfull, why can't a stud like Lambert?I wish Lambert was in your room as you typed this. He would mash you.

It's funny how this hypothecial question is "phrased":
Actually this whole thread is pretty hilarious, in an "I'm so stupid I think stats and numbers are all that matters" kinda way. lol.GB kids and their FF message board posts :thumbup:

:rolleyes:

You can't measure heart. Jack Lambert had it. I wonder how many of todays players could have played 20 years ago when you could really HIT people.

There is no doubt in my mind that Lambert would succeed in today's NFL. Playing today Lambert would have another 20 lbs of muscle. The only thing that couldn't get any bigger was his intensity.

You are the idgit saying he was 160 lbs and couldn't go against 300 lb lineman.
Me saying he was 160 lbs. = :sarcasm: Go back and notice the :P which I parenthetically included IMMEDIATELY after the comment, and also notice that I have not edited that post. It was there all along.

I'm embarrassed for you that you are this thick.

And if you call me a "idgit" one more time, we are gonna have a problem.

:11:
why exactly am I thick? you are the one positing that he wouldn't be the same player in today's game....your entire premise is ridiculous.

Jack Lambert discovered hockey as an adult, and now coaches youth hockey. Had Jack discovered hockey as a child, he could have been the nastiest defenseman the NHL has ever seen.And, by the way, I agree with those who have already said that these hypotheticals are a complete waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread