What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jacksonville being allowed to vacate their home stadium for 2 years is completely unacceptable (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I have heard many farcical stories that do not come into fruition so I try to not blow an MoP gasket every time I disagree with ownership/leadership for NFL teams
The brutality I typically bestow on Stephen Ross and the Miami Dolphins, that cannot be overlooked as I unleash fury on Khan and what I am reading and hearing.
I root for Miami, bleed teal n orange but I'm honest about how awful this man(Ross) has been as an owner including being suspended and losing 1st round draft picks in a Daniel Snyder era
That's hard to beat

Ross wanted public money for the Hard Rock...XXX

They finally are gifted a franchise QB, finally got a decent Head Coach, no thanks to the owner who hired Urban Meyer
Khan knew that dude was no good and a creep, he wasn't swindled or got the wool pulled over his eyes.
Now the fans have to suffer for 2 years?
Just build a stadium yourself Khan and then tear down the current one.
Don't make it the problem of the few fans you managed to salvage all these years.
Not when things are lookin' the best they've ever been

I don't understand how fans tolerate this BS

Last edited:
They finally are gifted a franchise QB, finally got a decent Head Coach, no thanks to the owner who hired Urban Meyer
Khan knew that dude was no good and a creep, he wasn't swindled or got the wool pulled over his eyes.
Now the fans have to suffer for 2 years?
Just build a stadium yourself Khan and then tear down the current one.
Don't make it the problem of the few fans you managed to salvage all these years.
Not when things are lookin' the best they've ever been

I don't understand how fans tolerate this BS
Agreed. Jacksonville fans deserve better than this clown show that they’ve had to endure and might have to endure if this actually happens. Goodell and the nfl should step in on this

I always loved his 60 Minutes interview after he purchased the team, it was a while back but worth another look

I especially enjoy the 12:00 mark as the news caster destroys the Jags record and questions Shahid Khan...

"Why did you buy this team? Why not buy one of the...for lack of a better phrasing, marquee NFL teams?"
Absurd question you would think but I always enjoy what Khan says next

Khan responds..."Well because you buy what's available for sale so this isn't like going on Craigslist and picking up an NFL team"
There's a lot more in this answer as we look back 10+ years then we ever could have understood at the time.
He tried to make Jacksonville the official team of Europe and I want to stress that he's increased the value of the Jags, that's not at all in question here.

I'm shocked to hear that you could suspend or relocate a team for 2 years while repairs are made at home.
Are they going to play in Orlando? What's the plan?

I always loved his 60 Minutes interview after he purchased the team, it was a while back but worth another look

I especially enjoy the 12:00 mark as the news caster destroys the Jags record and questions Shahid Khan...

"Why did you buy this team? Why not buy one of the...for lack of a better phrasing, marquee NFL teams?"
Absurd question you would think but I always enjoy what Khan says next

Khan responds..."Well because you buy what's available for sale so this isn't like going on Craigslist and picking up an NFL team"
There's a lot more in this answer as we look back 10+ years then we ever could have understood at the time.
He tried to make Jacksonville the official team of Europe and I want to stress that he's increased the value of the Jags, that's not at all in question here.

I'm shocked to hear that you could suspend or relocate a team for 2 years while repairs are made at home.
Are they going to play in Orlando? What's the plan?
Totally agree. It’s crazy to think that an NFL franchise didn’t have this situation planned out in advance. And that the NFL would implicitly sanction this. It’s almost as if it’s all a giant scam that Khan and Goodell half planned out. But wait — that would never happen right? Goodell wouldn’t be party to anything sketch right?

Sounds like the city announced it, right? I'll admit I haven't looked that far into it but I'm not sure I see the sketchy part?

Or are you guys getting at that the Jags just may "temporarily" move to London while the stadium gets worked on?

These guys are so transparent. They've been dying to move the Jaguars to London for years now. Shad Khan wanted to be Europe's team? For what? What possible thing other than jersey sales could that possibly bring forth other than moving them there?

You haven't heard the last of Jacksonville at Wembley. I guarantee that rumor will hover over the franchise like a cloud.

Having the only NFL team in London, especially as NFL picks up there, would be massive. The value of the team might double, and Shad has Fulham as well. Being a rich sports owner in London>Being a rich sports owner in Jacksonville.

Having the only NFL team in London, especially as NFL picks up there, would be massive. The value of the team might double, and Shad has Fulham as well. Being a rich sports owner in London>Being a rich sports owner in Jacksonville.
I’d think the only drawback would be travel. Which for billionaires and billionaire companies isn’t that big a hindrance.

Oh, I agree with you and agreed with your prior ranking. London is one of the crown jewels for potential franchise expansion. Jacksonville is the pits of the already existing. But the people of Jacksonville deserve better than how they're being played.

how much of a premium with the players union demand be payed to ALL PLAYERS to support a league with a team based in Europe? why would 31 other owners support the hit on profitability associated with this compensation shift? I call bs.

It’s being allowed because they will use it as an excuse to make London the home city for 2 years as a trial run. Their fanbase is going to have to come from ‘new’ fans as it were because all UK fans have teams they have followed since liking the sport.

Fans always deserve more,but at the end of the day they are at the bottom of the food chain. Money drives the sports owner and always will. Kahn wants to move the franchise to London and is doing all he can to accomplish this. Regular season games have proven wildly popular in Europe,if he's the only horse in the race over there he's already factored out the profit he can make. The NFL wants to add two teams in the near future,I can see The Jags moving to London and an expansion team added either in England or Germany with a second expansion team in the states,Orlando is already making a play with Pat Williams at the helm.

The stadium in Jacksonville is pretty poor though. Went down to the Gator Bowl last year and remarked it is on the Fedex Stadium tier of bad NFL stadiums. Dated, lot's of bottlenecks, and not really near much of anything to do pre or post game.

The stadium in Jacksonville is pretty poor though. Went down to the Gator Bowl last year and remarked it is on the Fedex Stadium tier of bad NFL stadiums. Dated, lot's of bottlenecks, and not really near much of anything to do pre or post game.
well, it has a pool and you can wander over to emerson avenue and get shanked.

There is discussion in Cleveland about renovating the Brown's stadium. Talk is they play in Columbus for 2-3 years. Not sure if the Bengals can influence that or not. Still a ways o go before anything is decided.

There is discussion in Cleveland about renovating the Brown's stadium. Talk is they play in Columbus for 2-3 years. Not sure if the Bengals can influence that or not. Still a ways o go before anything is decided.

I know the conversation is starting in Cincinnati (the team prefers renovation to new which feels like an interesting twist on such situations). Imagine the Browns and Bengals sharing Columbus for a couple years :loco:

-QG

Gotta go with the Breakers for a couple of seasons if it's Orlando, right?

Seriously, that seems like really poor timing in the context of their franchise history. Gainesville seems a bit more reasonable for Jags fans if they have to go that route. Then again, probably more corporate bucks in Orlando, counting on a smaller portion of the existing fanbase to make the drive. You also might wrestle away a few young fans from the Bucs or Dolphins in Central FL.

Approximately on par with the Panthers innaugural season in Clemson or the Bears in Champaign. All temporary homes that were closer to other NFL markets.

These guys are so transparent. They've been dying to move the Jaguars to London for years now. Shad Khan wanted to be Europe's team? For what? What possible thing other than jersey sales could that possibly bring forth other than moving them there?

You haven't heard the last of Jacksonville at Wembley. I guarantee that rumor will hover over the franchise like a cloud.
A ton of new business relationships that maybe begin from a simple advertising inquiry call.

Germany finally got a game last year so I'm sure London said some sort of whatever about it. Now Goodell can deal with interest from both. I wouldn't be surprised if Australia got a game next. For any location, the league wants bidders.

As far as this thread- Hawaii has always wanted a team but nothing ever got serious afaik. It got so stale, I don't think it's been discussed since the pro bowl left. If anyone reminds Kahn of this, he'll go. Nothing in the US offers the same ego splash as a temporary home. Families won't want to relocate here or play there oh but Hawaii for two years?

The Giants played at The Yale Bowl in 1974 and at Shea Stadium in 1975 before Giants Stadium opened in 1976

Remember when Jax hosted the SB and the media had to stay on a cruise ship?

It’s being allowed because they will use it as an excuse to make London the home city for 2 years as a trial run. Their fanbase is going to have to come from ‘new’ fans as it were because all UK fans have teams they have followed since liking the sport.

I mean it is basically this - there are plenty of us here that have been watching for 20, 30, 40 years, easily predating the International Series games, and while some in the US might suddenly gain allegiance to a team if a franchise moved to their city, that's not how it works here. You would need to get a combination of older fans suddenly coming to the sport purely on account of there being a team based in London (which I think would be minimal numbers), or wait for kids with no previous ties to get into the game on account of the team being here, rather than the game being played here, AND have said kids actually choose to support the London team over the other 31. It's something I've said before in other threads but it's worth repeating.

If anything the same thing happens in Germany as well, albeit more extreme, you just need to look at the extreme negative reaction to RB Leipzig in soccer, they wouldn't buy into moving a team and making them the Berlin Bratwursts in the slightest

The fans finally get a franchise QB they always dreamed of and you want to rob them of his best seasons as he rises up the charts working towards the ever evolving 2nd contract for a modern NFL QB, it's likely to be in the $300M+ range, this is awful for the fans of the Jags. They could literally rise up and win a Super Bowl while they are on hiatus from Jacksonville, Khan's wildest dreams but totally blows for the fan base there in Jacksonville.

I know the conversation is starting in Cincinnati (the team prefers renovation to new which feels like an interesting twist on such situations). Imagine the Browns and Bengals sharing Columbus for a couple years :loco:

-QG
I don’t think the Browns could sell out Ohio Stadium. 102K

Maybe the Hall of Fame Stadium in Canton? 23K

Or the Akron Zips stadium? 30K

Cincinnati has the Bearcats stadium at 40K a lot closer.

Bears played at Champaign while Soldier Field was renovate. David Terrell complained about the winds blowing the manure smell from the nearby farms.
The Vikings played two seasons at UofM as well. This is hardly unprecedented.

I think MoP's (@Ministry of Pain) problem, other than canned tuna, is the possibility of an NFL team moving to London. I kinda agree but, at the end of the day teams move all the time. The Jaguars will certainly get a large home field advantage, particularly over west coast teams but they will also suffer a bigger road disadvantage (particularly to the west coast).

IMO nothing to see here.

This would rule actually. Believe they have done college football at Bristol too.
I imagine the distance from the field to the stadium would be significantly more. LA Coliseum but worse. People in the nosebleed section may be closer to Tampa than Jax Beach

Users who are viewing this thread