What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jacksonville Jaguars Defense in 2018....what happened? (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
What happened to the Jacksonville defense in 2018?

Injuries?  What injury or injuries hurt them the most?  I thought they had depth?

I ask because I know they were the one defense people were willing to jump on during during drafts.

Thoughts?

If I remember correctly, pre-draft there was some talk about their schedule being significantly more difficult this year than last.  I don't remember if the concern was aimed more at the position players or if it included the D as well.

Don't follow the Jags specifically but I wonder how much Paul Posluszny's retirement affected them. Skills are simpler to replace than leadership and it looks like the unit is leaderless. Jalen Ramsey running his mouth isn't it. 

They just shut out the colts??? Has more to do with no forunette most of the season and blake bortles terrible play....put the defense in tough spots

What happened?  Playing from behind really changes the ability to be as aggressive as they were in 2017.  Not playing vs. Jacoby Brissett and Tom Savage/TJ Yates twice a year decreased the gaudy sack/turnover/TD #s numbers.  Lots of inexplicable blown assignments and boneheaded penalties that extended drives.  Perhaps Myles Jack didn't develop to superstar status that was expected this year and Telvin Smith perhaps took a step back.  DJ Hayden and AJ Bouye missing time thrust less experienced DBs into more bigger roles.

That said, they are still one of the best in the NFL in terms of points allowed and yards allowed

What happened?  Playing from behind really changes the ability to be as aggressive as they were in 2017.  Not playing vs. Jacoby Brissett and Tom Savage/TJ Yates twice a year decreased the gaudy sack/turnover/TD #s numbers.  Lots of inexplicable blown assignments and boneheaded penalties that extended drives.  Perhaps Myles Jack didn't develop to superstar status that was expected this year and Telvin Smith perhaps took a step back.  DJ Hayden and AJ Bouye missing time thrust less experienced DBs into more bigger roles.

That said, they are still one of the best in the NFL in terms of points allowed and yards allowed
This.

Great fantasy defenses benefit from offenses giving them the lead, where opponents have to pass more to catch up.  Hard to score fantasy points when the opponent is running the ball a lot.  The JAX offense took a big step backwards this year.  Bortles was horrible and Fournette was out the lineup much of the year.

JAX was so much better than any other defense in 2017 because everything went right.  Anyone drafting them to duplicate the 2017 success was delusional.

That said, the JAX defense is still really good, even though they have given up a lot of big plays this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread