What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaguars OL grade (1 Viewer)

wino1618

Footballguy
What information do you have on the guys replacing the injured Jags starter? Obviously, the OL grade should drop some, but I think a lot of week 1 had to do with the Titans front four. Are the guys stepping in flat-out terrible, or just guys who didn't win jobs in Jacksonville?

There are some other threads with some discussion on this issue.

Per Wannabee and I subscribe to this theory as well...if a team loses a RG/ LG, or C along the OL, it means trouble for the runnning game usually. If they lose a LT or RT, it has a bigger impact on the passing game because those guys keep the speedy DEs at bay while the QB sets up shop back there.

I am all for dumping Jaguar RB right now, especially Fred Taylor. MJD has value because he can catch the ball although they do not utilize him in that way enough...he typically is only about 2-3 catches a game.

What information do you have on the guys replacing the injured Jags starter? Obviously, the OL grade should drop some, but I think a lot of week 1 had to do with the Titans front four. Are the guys stepping in flat-out terrible, or just guys who didn't win jobs in Jacksonville?
I did not see the game, so I really can't answer than part of your question. But Jacksonville was already without their starting center and now lost both starting guards. The backups may be ok, but just remember they are backups for a reason. They have to get a significant downgrade until they prove they can play. I don't see how they can be anywhere near as good with the entire middle of their line gone.

Let's put it this way:

They're starting three backups againt Marcus Stroud this week, a mammoth pro bowl caliber DT who had two sacks against a good Seattle o-line last week. Stroud also came from the Jags, who were all too willing to trade him away. He has revenge in mind.

The interior of that line is going to collapse like a pack of cards. MJD may get his yards Reggie Bush style, but inside runs will be nonexistent and Garrad will be running for his life.

I wouldn't start a single JAX player this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been avoiding these threads like the plague since there seems to be a different one each day.

Here's my take -

Nwaneri is decent guard and wouldn't be bad if his was the only substitution. He didn't play that well last week because he injured his knee but was FORCED to play because the Jags literally had nobody left. I think he will play slightly better this week.

Supposedly, Norman got abused at center several times. This, combined with Tuten Reyes at guard is what has me worried. Reyes has bounced around with several teams.

Jags lost their two best maulers and Manuwai in particular was a tough loss.

Jags picked up Charles Spencer, former high pick of Chargers and released by Texans, and Milford Brown , another vet who had been with Carolina and a couple other teams.

The lone bit of possible help could be Brad Meester coming back from injury to play C/G but that won't be for a few weeks at least.

It'll be interesting to see what the gameplan is. Unlike last week, they had a week to prepare.

Do they keep it simple and just run straight ahead? A lot of pitches off-tackle to MJD? Shorter routes by the WRs? TE screen up the middle?

It'll also be interesting to see how long of a leash they give Reyes and Norman. Do they bring in Milford Brown if one of them struggles?

Either way last week was a kick in the gut for this team and city. Suddenly division talk was turned into surviving the next few weeks.

The soundbite that sticks in my mind is that the Jags have lost 4 of their top 6 olinemen on the active roster.

You can peruse the other threads for additional details, but this is very 2007 Rams -esque.

The other posters have it right -> huge downgrade for Fred, significant downgrade for MJD.

I have argued in other threads that Garrard COULD actually see his fantasy stats get a slight bump, as prior projections reflect Roethlisburger-esque utilization (15 for 18, 1.5 TDs kinda numbers). Garrard has demonstrated his playmaking ability, and now that Jags are going to have to put that to the test.

Despite my potentially rosey forecast for Garrard, I would also say NOT IN WEEK 2. Buffalo is going to MURDER the Jags this weekend. I would take the Bills and the OVER (Jags homers will now chime in with "but the defense is still good" but its a time of possession issue. I see no offense from the Jags this week. At all.

I keep reading about how bad the Jags are going to get beat, but I just don't see it...

1) No matter what people say, Del Rio is a good coach. He may not be a great game planner, but he can motivate and EVERY time I've thought the Jags were in trouble in the last few years, they come through with a big win. This is one of those times.

2) Buffalo played a very depleted Seattle team that had to travel accross the entire country to play them. Going into the heat in Jacksonville will be light years different.

3) Tennessee has a better defense than Buffalo. Also, just as Stroud may be motivated, Jax knows why they let him go. If there is any weakness to his game, you can bet the Jags will know about it and exploit it.

4) MJD & FT aren't just good RB's, they are great. They do not get held down for long and one or both of them will greatly exceed expectations. My money is on MJD and I'm starting him over "safer" options this week.

No matter how much I hear about how bad it is on the Jags O-line, I can't get with the idea that a #### Jauron led team coming off of an easy win at home going into Jacksonville against a proud team with their backs against the wall is going to beat the Jags.

Sure the O-line isn't going to be stellar, but the Jags will get it done this week somehow someway and you can bet that MJD & Taylor will be part of it.

The soundbite that sticks in my mind is that the Jags have lost 4 of their top 6 olinemen on the active roster.You can peruse the other threads for additional details, but this is very 2007 Rams -esque.The other posters have it right -> huge downgrade for Fred, significant downgrade for MJD.I have argued in other threads that Garrard COULD actually see his fantasy stats get a slight bump, as prior projections reflect Roethlisburger-esque utilization (15 for 18, 1.5 TDs kinda numbers). Garrard has demonstrated his playmaking ability, and now that Jags are going to have to put that to the test.Despite my potentially rosey forecast for Garrard, I would also say NOT IN WEEK 2. Buffalo is going to MURDER the Jags this weekend. I would take the Bills and the OVER (Jags homers will now chime in with "but the defense is still good" but its a time of possession issue. I see no offense from the Jags this week. At all.
Time will tell, but three players doesn't a team make.Despite the loss of 3 O-linemen, this is still a great team. Tennessee >>>> Buffalo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SeattleDon't let last week fool you.

I keep reading about how bad the Jags are going to get beat, but I just don't see it...

1) No matter what people say, Del Rio is a good coach. He may not be a great game planner, but he can motivate and EVERY time I've thought the Jags were in trouble in the last few years, they come through with a big win. This is one of those times.

2) Buffalo played a very depleted Seattle team that had to travel accross the entire country to play them. Going into the heat in Jacksonville will be light years different.

3) Tennessee has a better defense than Buffalo. Also, just as Stroud may be motivated, Jax knows why they let him go. If there is any weakness to his game, you can bet the Jags will know about it and exploit it.

4) MJD & FT aren't just good RB's, they are great. They do not get held down for long and one or both of them will greatly exceed expectations. My money is on MJD and I'm starting him over "safer" options this week.

No matter how much I hear about how bad it is on the Jags O-line, I can't get with the idea that a #### Jauron led team coming off of an easy win at home going into Jacksonville against a proud team with their backs against the wall is going to beat the Jags.

Sure the O-line isn't going to be stellar, but the Jags will get it done this week somehow someway and you can bet that MJD & Taylor will be part of it.
I'm a Jags fan so I sure hope you're right, but it sounds to me like you're rationalizing.Also, just as Stroud may be motivated, Jax knows why they let him go. Cuz he cost a lot of money and didn't stay healthy. (Now he's healthy).

"Sure the O-line isn't going to be stellar..." Ya' think? Missing an entire starting interior of a line? I think we passed "not stellar" a mile back.

MJD & FT aren't just good RB's, they are great. They do not get held down for long and one or both of them will greatly exceed expectations. My money is on MJD and I'm starting him over "safer" options this week. I agree with you and MJD will be in my lineup this week as well. I hope you're right.

I'm a Jags fan so I sure hope you're right, but it sounds to me like you're rationalizing.Also, just as Stroud may be motivated, Jax knows why they let him go. Cuz he cost a lot of money and didn't stay healthy. (Now he's healthy).

"Sure the O-line isn't going to be stellar..." Ya' think? Missing an entire starting interior of a line? I think we passed "not stellar" a mile back.

MJD & FT aren't just good RB's, they are great. They do not get held down for long and one or both of them will greatly exceed expectations. My money is on MJD and I'm starting him over "safer" options this week. I agree with you and MJD will be in my lineup this week as well. I hope you're right.
I'm not a Jags fan. I'm making my observations solely as an objective observer and have no reason to try and rationalize. My gut feel is that the sky isn't falling in Jacksonville and the Bills are in for an awakening when they go down there Sunday. The Jags are very good and so are the Bills, but it's in Jacksonville and the Jags have been hearing all week how badly they are going to play and the Bills have been hearing how they are the new favorites to win the division. The Jags will come out VERY fired up.

I have no insight about the Jags and their o-line. My only interest is being a Garrard owner in one league. Anyhoo, the reason I am posting is that after the Bears lost their starting LG and LT (on a line that was already putrid) I was ready to basically toss this season in the crapper. But the backups came in and played at a very high level against a very physical defense in Indy, and managed to create good holes for the run game and keep an immobile QB off his back for the most part. Just a case in point that it might not be as bad in reality as it is on paper. Now that the replacements have had a week of practice with the first unit, they could perform a lot better.

Stroud is going to prove they traded one of the leagues best DT's and is going to make them pay for it.

He will be a monster on sunday.

Interesting read at PFT...

TED SUNDQUIST’S WEEK TWO SCOUTING REPORTS: BILLS AT JAGUARSPosted by Mike Florio on September 12, 2008, 11:25 a.m. EDT [Editor’s note: Former Broncos G.M. Ted Sundquist breaks down three games each week, exclusively for PFT. Here’s his first entry for Week Two.]This is the classic “Tale of Two Cities” game as Buffalo looks to continue its rise as an NFL contender and Jacksonville is faced with an early “must” win to avoid being labeled a pretender. The Bills face the Jags for the third straight year, having split the past two seasons; Buffalo winning at home 27-24 in ’06 and Jacksonville taking last year’s game, 36-14. As with the rest of the AFC East, the Bills see a crack in the door with the injury to Tom Brady, and the Jags just don’t want to fall too far behind in the ultra-competitive AFC South, having just dropped a close game to division rival Tennessee.Offensively, the Bills have to be pleased with continued development of QB Trent Edwards. Edwards was thrust into the starting role in ’07 after a knee injury sidelined J.P. Losman in Week 3. Against Seattle last week he was an efficient 19-30, 215 yards and 1 TD. However Buffalo got off to a snail’s-pace start in the first half. The Bills have five three-and-outs (four to start the game), and a sixth was avoided by a defensive penalty. The only thing keeping the Bills on pace with Seattle was the Seahawks’ own inability to move the chains (five three-and-outs, mixed with two drives of four plays). KEY #1 must be staying out of third down and long on the road. The Bills’ running game needs to get established early, and that could be a tall order versus the likes of Paul Spicer, John Henderson, Rob Meier, and Reggie Hayward. Though normally a bit left-handed, I see the Bills going behind their right side of Kris Chambers and Brad Butler, with added support from TE strength. The Bills statistically are a more efficient rushing team off the right tackle. This pits Chambers and Butler up against Henderson & Spicer. If the Bills can create short yardage on second or third down, it will take the pressure off Edwards and open up the ability to move the chains off the high percentage swing pass, or even allow for some shots downfield.Defensively, the Bills have a chance to pick up where they left off on Sunday. Buffalo recorded five sacks and nine hurries, keeping Matt Hasselbeck off balance and out of rhythm all day (17 of 41, 53.9 rating). Tennessee came after Jags QB David Garrard as well. The Titans defense sacked Garrard seven times, and hurried him 11. He forced two interceptions and finished with a 68.2 rating. The loss of both Vince Manuwai and Mo Williams at the OG positions puts added pressure on center Dennis Norman. Interior stunts and blitz package pick-ups have to be well coordinated. That’s why at times it’s easier to lose an offensive tackle than a center or guard. Look for former Jag DT Marcus Stroud and DT Kyle Williams to create some inside push, which will put pressure in the face of Garrard (KEY #2) and assist both DE’s Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel off the edge in getting to the QB. The Jags have penciled in Uche Nwaneri and Tuten Reyes as replacements at OG.Losing two starters on the O-Line at this point is going to be tough on Jacksonville. Continuity is critical up front, blocking schemes being carefully choreographed to accommodate for pressure from all angles. The best O-Lines are built after years of playing side by side and developing a certain chemistry with each other. Players reach a point where they instinctively know what the man next to them is going to do, when he’s in trouble, when he might rub off to a second level block, etc. Jacksonville couldn’t protect their QB in Week 1 and never established a run game (33 yards and 1.9 average). KEY #3 will be getting RB’s Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew out on the edge and into open space. Jones-Drew was heavily employed off the screen pass in ’07 (third in NFL). To slow down the rush and take advantage of an aggressive Bills front, the Jags might be served well to mix this into their game plan. Also, look for the running game to attack the perimeter more. Buffalo has struggled a bit in stopping the outside run, especially to their right side. Both backs have big-play speed and can hit the home run once in the secondary, another category that has plagued the Bills defense (26th in ’07 giving up runs of 10+ yards). Seattle had 4 runs of 10+ yards this past Sunday.In Jacksonville’s 36-14 victory over Buffalo last season, the defense forced three turnovers (2 picks and 1 fumble recovery). Look for safeties Reggie Nelson and Brian Williams forcing the Bills to cough up the ball as KEY #4 to the game. Williams has CB ball skills and Nelson has shown a knack for opponents’ passes with five interceptions in ’07. He also forced two fumbles last season. Buffalo’s WR’s Josh Reed and Lee Evans are solid, but should be handled with man coverage by the Jags’ corner tandem of Drayton Florence and Rashean Mathis. The two WR’s weren’t much of a factor in last season’s outcome and this should free up the safeties to create some plays in both phases of the game. Getting Williams on the field was a shrewd move by the Jags coaching staff. He’s excellent in pass defense and one of the better (if not the best) tacklers against the run for the Jacksonville secondary. I see these two having big games. KEY #5 will be the ability of Jacksonville’s special teams unit to hang with the explosiveness of Buffalo’s. Last week the Bills ran back a punt for a TD, threw for a TD out of FG formation and then forced and recovered a fumble on the ensuing kickoff. Buffalo scored on a 30-yard pass the very next play. This productivity was the single biggest reason the Bills opened 2008 with a win.
Sundquist has seen much more than the Monday Morning QB's chiming in here and it's not all gloom and doom for the Jags. Jax may be running a lot of off tackle stuff to try and get FT/MJD around the corner.....if they do that it looks like Buffalo could be the ones that are in trouble. Buffalo's kind of a sexy team right now after last week's pummeling of a horrible, injury depleted Seattle team that's always been known for being soft and pretty crappy on the road....especially trips to the east coast. One of the previous posters makes an excellent point also about how well the Bear's OL did against Indy. The bandwagon to bury Jacksonville is filling up a little to quick for me.

There are some other threads with some discussion on this issue.

Per Wannabee and I subscribe to this theory as well...if a team loses a RG/ LG, or C along the OL, it means trouble for the runnning game usually. If they lose a LT or RT, it has a bigger impact on the passing game because those guys keep the speedy DEs at bay while the QB sets up shop back there.

I am all for dumping Jaguar RB right now, especially Fred Taylor. MJD has value because he can catch the ball although they do not utilize him in that way enough...he typically is only about 2-3 catches a game.
Wow. That is one itchy trigger finger. 1 week in with plenty of time for any team to rebound. You may be right but sometimes when you're trying to be ahead of the game and beat the trends before they happen, you out-think yourself. I've seen it time and time again in this game. Hell, I've done it.

Sundquist has seen much more than the Monday Morning QB's chiming in here and it's not all gloom and doom for the Jags. Jax may be running a lot of off tackle stuff to try and get FT/MJD around the corner.....if they do that it looks like Buffalo could be the ones that are in trouble. Buffalo's kind of a sexy team right now after last week's pummeling of a horrible, injury depleted Seattle team that's always been known for being soft and pretty crappy on the road....especially trips to the east coast. One of the previous posters makes an excellent point also about how well the Bear's OL did against Indy. The bandwagon to bury Jacksonville is filling up a little to quick for me.
Yeah, except Sundquist manages to screw up a few details. Some minor, some more major. He says several times that the O-line only lost 2 players. But Brad Meester is their starting Center and he's out this week. So they're actually down THREE linemen. Losing 3 interior linemen is not a good situation.And it's Kirk Chambers for the Bills, not Chris Chambers. And Chambers may not even be playing if they decide to start Peters and move Walker back to RT.

Yeah, except Sundquist manages to screw up a few details. Some minor, some more major. He says several times that the O-line only lost 2 players. But Brad Meester is their starting Center and he's out this week. So they're actually down THREE linemen. Losing 3 interior linemen is not a good situation.And it's Kirk Chambers for the Bills, not Chris Chambers. And Chambers may not even be playing if they decide to start Peters and move Walker back to RT.
Actually Sundquist would be right. They did lose 2 OL in the Tennessee game. Meester was already a scratch and they were planning without him. Jax has been game planning without Meester for awhile so I'm not sure why you'd consider him a loss at this time.How good will Peters be after sitting out so long? Will he screw up the Buffalo OL Chemistry? It's a possibility.

With the interior line withering away, I wouldn't sit Drew in PPR leagues. The guy could end up with quite a bit of dump-off/screen action.

It's Freddy inside the tackles and Gerrard's mistakes under pressure that worry me the most.

Although the loss of Maurice Williams hurts the line, it isn't catastrophic. Uche Nwaneri put a very good fight in his claim for the starting job coming out of camp. I expect some drop-off, but not a great amount. I can't say the same for Tuten Reyes. This is where it will show.

Once Brad Meester comes back, Dennis Norman can slide over to Guard in place of Reyes. If one more injury occurs, however, I think you can write the Jags off. The defense is good, but not that good.

Actually Sundquist would be right. They did lose 2 OL in the Tennessee game. Meester was already a scratch and they were planning without him. Jax has been game planning without Meester for awhile so I'm not sure why you'd consider him a loss at this time.How good will Peters be after sitting out so long? Will he screw up the Buffalo OL Chemistry? It's a possibility.
If he's right, it's only on a technicality. The fact is that the Jaguars are playing with three backups on their offensive line. Norman may currently be the starting center and may have started Week 1 at center, but if Meester was healthy, Norman certainly wouldn't be playing there. And when Meester comes back, he'll be inserted as the starting Center. He's right in that the Bills have had trouble containing the edge at times, so if the Jags are going to have success on the ground, that's where it's going to have to be. But my guess is that the Bills will take advantage of the backup interior linemen and just use Williams and Stroud to clog up the middle while letting the linebackers float outside more. I may end up being wrong on Peters, but I don't think that the Bills end up playing him again this week. He'll start next week, but I think he sits another week. We shall see. If they do though, then it's the exact same line that they had last season. So chemistry won't be the issue. Knowing the playcalls with a new OC would be the issue.

Give me a great OL and a marginal running back over a great RB and a marginal OL any day of the week...Barry Sanders not included.

Give me a great OL and a marginal running back over a great RB and a marginal OL any day of the week...Barry Sanders not included.
Better take LT off the list as well then. It was just a few years ago that LT was considered the best RB in fantasy in spite of his OL. Most good RB's are a result of good run blocking, I agree, but sometimes an OL is overrated because their RB/QB makes them look good.

Better take LT off the list as well then. It was just a few years ago that LT was considered the best RB in fantasy in spite of his OL. Most good RB's are a result of good run blocking, I agree, but sometimes an OL is overrated because their RB/QB makes them look good.
Not very often...and Fred and MJD are not Barry and LT.

Users who are viewing this thread