What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jakeem Grant, WR, MIA. The Little Engine That Could (1 Viewer)

ShamrockPride

Footballguy
Dude's balling first 3 weeks. I'll say it...behind only Tyreek, this is the fastest guy in the NFL. Dolphins can still work him a lot more into the offense if they choose. He a killer in leagues with return yards. Idk what the work limit is on a dude his size, but it can't be too far off from Tyreek, who's got 4" and 15 lbs on him. I'd love to see him get a little more than the 5 or so offensive touches a game he getting now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Parker might have thrown a wrench in this situation. Grant was playing on ~50% of the snaps but only played 20% vs. OAK. It looks like he and Wilson (who also took a large snap percentage hit) rotated with Parker. Stills (~90%) and Amendola's (~70%) remained unchanged. 

Gase is doing a great job with his usage of Grant.  He is electric with the ball in his hands.  Very exciting player.  Seems like he is worth an add with the hope that Gase continues to find ways to get him the ball.

Parker might have thrown a wrench in this situation. Grant was playing on ~50% of the snaps but only played 20% vs. OAK. It looks like he and Wilson (who also took a large snap percentage hit) rotated with Parker. Stills (~90%) and Amendola's (~70%) remained unchanged. 
Albert Wilson average 12.6 yards per snap on his 10 plays - 52 yards receiving and 74 yard TD pass

say what?

1 pt / 10 return yards?

making Lockett 3rd in your  format?

and makes Andre Roberts fantasy relevant
1 per 20 plus bonuses for long TDs (which is essentially all of them obviously). Lockett is actually only 14th. 

ETA: Was curious - Roberts is pretty far down. He’s in the same realm as Amendola and Higgins. Not rostered. 

1 per 20 plus bonuses for long TDs (which is essentially all of them obviously). Lockett is actually only 14th. 
gotcha

ours is 1 pt per 25 and bonuses on any YFS play over 40 (& another pt on 40+ TDs)

i.e., Geronimo Allison put 18.60 on his 2-76-1 day

Lockett is WR5 (rostered) in our full PPR format and Grant WR12

well he's probably the best 5'6" player in the league ATM right?

(Sproles is still hurt I believe & also older than dirt)

IDK looking at snap counts & targets I just can't see this guy being relevant

he's a playmaker so he'll have some good games but he's pretty far down the Dolphins targets pecking order

gotcha

ours is 1 pt per 25 and bonuses on any YFS play over 40 (& another pt on 40+ TDs)

i.e., Geronimo Allison put 18.60 on his 2-76-1 day

Lockett is WR5 (rostered) in our full PPR format and Grant WR12
That’s strange that they’re essentially flip flopped in our leagues with similar scoring. 

Gase is doing a great job with his usage of Grant.  He is electric with the ball in his hands.  Very exciting player.  Seems like he is worth an add with the hope that Gase continues to find ways to get him the ball.
I disagree with this - if he was doing a great job, Grant would be getting more snaps and more targets. He's one of those guys that coaches will always say "we have to get him more touches", but they never really do, even after every other touch goes for a TD. Andy Reid was like this with Tyreek to some extent way back when. Now it seems he's figured it out. 

I'll never understand why it's so damn difficult to "find ways" to get electric players the ball. Just give them the ball - tear up your old school playbook if you have to. 

I disagree with this - if he was doing a great job, Grant would be getting more snaps and more targets. He's one of those guys that coaches will always say "we have to get him more touches", but they never really do, even after every other touch goes for a TD. Andy Reid was like this with Tyreek to some extent way back when. Now it seems he's figured it out. 

I'll never understand why it's so damn difficult to "find ways" to get electric players the ball. Just give them the ball - tear up your old school playbook if you have to. 
Just snap the damn thing right to them. Or pitch them the ball as soon as the QB receivers it. Pretty simple right? Lots of ways to skin a cat. 

Just snap the damn thing right to them. Or pitch them the ball as soon as the QB receivers it. Pretty simple right? Lots of ways to skin a cat. 
Exactly - all guys like this need is a small crease and they're gone.....but I guess "installing" packages takes weeks....so....can't do it.

I'll eat my words if Grant becomes a legit part of the offense playing 50% or more of the snaps, but I'm not holding my breath. If you remember, he completely tore up preseason LAST YEAR, and played well in a couple of games at the end of last season. Did that compel Gase to get him more involved? No, it didn't. They've had plenty of opportunities.....hopefully this time it sticks. 

Exactly - all guys like this need is a small crease and they're gone.....but I guess "installing" packages takes weeks....so....can't do it.

I'll eat my words if Grant becomes a legit part of the offense playing 50% or more of the snaps, but I'm not holding my breath. If you remember, he completely tore up preseason LAST YEAR, and played well in a couple of games at the end of last season. Did that compel Gase to get him more involved? No, it didn't. They've had plenty of opportunities.....hopefully this time it sticks. 
This seems overly critical to me.  Jakeem Grant was on nobody's radar to start the season.  The way Gase is using him has made him relevant.  He is doing exactly what you contend he is not doing - finding ways to get him the ball and installing plays for him.  He is earning more PT, but the WR room in Miami is pretty solid.  Stills, Wilson, and Amendola belong on the field too, and Parker probably does as well.  The Fins, who nobody saw coming are 3-0.  While they are probably not nearly as good as 3-0 would suggest, they do still remain 3-0 and the offense is far exceeding anybody's expectations - with Grant being a big part of that.  I'll be the first Dolphins fan to rant and rave about their patheticness in any way I can possibly justify it, but criticizing Gase right now for not properly utilizing a guy who 90% of football fans couldnt name last week (and who he is utilizing very well) seems overly harsh.  

Another return TD last week on pure speed, but just 1 target all game. Honestly how hard is it to just toss this dude out on a screen and let his legs make something happen? Give him a good old jet sweep (he only has 1 carry all season)? Like wtf...

Again, a killer in return yard leagues. I'm in one, and he is currently the #12 WR on the year.

For dynasty anyways he should be a FA soon. There has to be a better landing for him to get the ball more. For those of us not in return yardage leagues Gase leaves a lot to be desired. What's Jakeem on pace for, 60 targets?

I often look at his salary for DFS. If he's cheap, he is a great boom bust type. 

In redraft, his size and usage concern me. 

There is no game reason to not play him more. He can block reasonably well so a coach would normally want a WR in there that attracts attention. I gotta wonder if Gase isn't trying to limit his exposure to hits and caps his usage. He's half crazy to be playing at his size...I mean, c'mon. 

Stills and Wilson are out. I assume that Grant will start tonight and possibly see a good number of targets.

Does anyone know if he will still also continue to handle the return duties?

Stills and Wilson are out. I assume that Grant will start tonight and possibly see a good number of targets.

I don’t see why he wouldn’t. I’m firing him up for dfs but I feel his % will be bigger than I’d like. 

Trying to figure that out too- assume he will as he’s pretty dangerous back there

Previous 7 weeks Grant returned 14 of the Dolphins 15 kickoff returns. Last night he wasn't on the field for kickoff returns.

Listed as a starting #3 WR after Stills trade. Still taking all the kicks. Only question will be how his speed is after a year of various leg issues (Achilles, "non-ACL related" surgery). He's definitely made some big downfield plays as a receiver a couple years ago, so he's shown he can do it. Could be an interesting bye week option.

Started a thread on this guy this morning as I couldn’t find one....this is what I posted......

I couldn’t find a thread on this guy and am I not sure he deserves one. However there are some positives to his situation that could lead to being a FF contributor (especially in return leagues):

He is listed as a starting WR. 

He has the ability to score from any point on the field and is playing for a team that should be throwing quite a bit.

They just resigned him to a contract extension which makes me assume they value his abilities.

He is listed as the KR and PR. Although he only played 10 games last season he was 11th in yardage for punt and kick returns.

If I average out his last year stats over 16 games he ends up with 243 points. This puts him near a top 12 finish at WR.

I think it is a safe estimate that his targets go up from last year. IF he can stay healthy he is a cheap flier in return leagues that provides some upside.

Started a thread on this guy this morning as I couldn’t find one....this is what I posted......

I couldn’t find a thread on this guy and am I not sure he deserves one. However there are some positives to his situation that could lead to being a FF contributor (especially in return leagues):

He is listed as a starting WR. 

He has the ability to score from any point on the field and is playing for a team that should be throwing quite a bit.

They just resigned him to a contract extension which makes me assume they value his abilities.

He is listed as the KR and PR. Although he only played 10 games last season he was 11th in yardage for punt and kick returns.

If I average out his last year stats over 16 games he ends up with 243 points. This puts him near a top 12 finish at WR.

I think it is a safe estimate that his targets go up from last year. IF he can stay healthy he is a cheap flier in return leagues that provides some upside.
I said in my last post 2 years ago, my b. Guess it's just been a long year lol, seems like 2. Anyway...

The extension is def a good sign. I was initially tempted to say he could finish as a top 30 guy in return leagues, but I'm hesitant now with Miami clearly tanking and Tunsil gone. Could be a mess. I'm cautiously optimistic, if for nothing else that he at least has the opportunity we've been waiting for with those wheels.

I said in my last post 2 years ago, my b. Guess it's just been a long year lol, seems like 2. Anyway...

The extension is def a good sign. I was initially tempted to say he could finish as a top 30 guy in return leagues, but I'm hesitant now with Miami clearly tanking and Tunsil gone. Could be a mess. I'm cautiously optimistic, if for nothing else that he at least has the opportunity we've been waiting for with those wheels.
There should be a whole lot of kick returns...

Listed as a starting #3 WR after Stills trade. Still taking all the kicks. Only question will be how his speed is after a year of various leg issues (Achilles, "non-ACL related" surgery). He's definitely made some big downfield plays as a receiver a couple years ago, so he's shown he can do it. Could be an interesting bye week option.
One league of mine started using return yardage this year.  I enjoy it because finding guys like Grant who should have a decent role in the offense AND return both kicks & punts are money.  

Jakeem Grant caught 4-of-5 targets for 43 yards and a touchdown in Week 10 against the Chargers.

Grant played the No. 2 role with Preston Williams sidelined. He led the Dolphins in yards and scored on a red-zone throw from Tua Tagovailoa. Grant should have a top-three role until Williams returns, but his ceiling is low with a rookie quarterback.

- Rotoworld

Jakeem Grant suffered a high ankle sprain and will not play in Week 17 against Buffalo. 

Grant injured his ankle on Saturday night against the Raiders. He caught five balls for 43 yards before leaving the game. DeVante Parker (hamstring), who missed Week 16, is iffy for Week 17, leaving Mike Gesicki and Lynn Bowden as Miami's top pass catching options. Gesicki will be a high-end TE1 against a Bills defense that's been generous to tight ends all year. Bowden should be a solid WR3 PPR option with Grant sidelined. 

RELATED: 

Lynn Bowden

, Mike Gesicki

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 28, 2020, 10:58 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread