What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jalen Hurts - When will he be benched for Gardner Minshew (1 Viewer)

Jalen Hurts - When will he be benched for Gardner Minshew?

• Total voters
Hurts has been fantasy gold for us all. The situation is a perfect storm. Bad defense, terrible scheme for RB's, QB that can run well, has some weapons at receiver.

I don't watch their games much and the one I did he does have a super slow delivery but he didn't look terrible either. Seems madness that they would bench him before the end of the year but this is a thing bad franchises do when desperate. Bench him for Menshew is the answer, really? Anyways, will be sad if he gets the boot. 

What are people's backup plans with tight benches and limited FABB? Pick up Menshew now, Trey Lance?

Hurts has been fantasy gold for us all. The situation is a perfect storm. Bad defense, terrible scheme for RB's, QB that can run well, has some weapons at receiver.

I don't watch their games much and the one I did he does have a super slow delivery but he didn't look terrible either. Seems madness that they would bench him before the end of the year but this is a thing bad franchises do when desperate. Bench him for Menshew is the answer, really? Anyways, will be sad if he gets the boot. 

What are people's backup plans with tight benches and limited FABB? Pick up Menshew now, Trey Lance?
I wouldn't pick up Minshew in advance, just wait until it happens to pick him up.  I doubt he'd get massive FAAB once announced as the starter.  I did grab Daniel Jones in my league, also considering Wentz.  Trey Lance might be a good option, that will improve as the season goes on.

I wouldn't pick up Minshew in advance, just wait until it happens to pick him up.  I doubt he'd get massive FAAB once announced as the starter.  I did grab Daniel Jones in my league, also considering Wentz.  Trey Lance might be a good option, that will improve as the season goes on.
I'm down to essentially zero dollars and our league has this ridiculous set up where you can't bid 0 dollars so you have to keep a handful of bucks around for the playoffs just in case. Even with our benches being small the QB free agents are no bueno (Wentz and DJ gone) so I have to get creative.

Hopefully Hurts lights up the Lions this weekend but I have a bad feeling about this :lol:

I'm down to essentially zero dollars and our league has this ridiculous set up where you can't bid 0 dollars so you have to keep a handful of bucks around for the playoffs just in case. Even with our benches being small the QB free agents are no bueno (Wentz and DJ gone) so I have to get creative.

Hopefully Hurts lights up the Lions this weekend but I have a bad feeling about this :lol:
Me too - that's why I created this thread

Eagles fan and Hurts owner here.

This team is a dumpster fire. Coach is way in over his head, as are all the young assistant coaches he picked.

General sentiment is we lose to the winless Lions, then the DC gets canned, as the first sacrificial lamb. That creates even further chaos and insecurity, leading to worse (panic) coaching, and even more terrible on field play by all. Hurts should absolutely get the chance to start all year, but the fact is he likely won’t show improvement under these atrocious circumstances, so he’ll eventually get the hook. Could be announced prior to a game, after he (lousily) completed a full game. Better chance he gets an in game hook. I’m rolling with Danny “Loose Change” Dimes this week against the Chiefs, and then taking it one week at a time (standard coach speak) but leaning towards and seeing myself rolling with Dimes here on out. His skill position players are finally getting healthy, and at least Garrett is calling the plays, someone who has somewhat of a clue what he’s actually doing.

Good luck, all!

This team is a dumpster fire. Coach is way in over his head, as are all the young assistant coaches he picked.

General sentiment is we lose to the winless Lions, then the DC gets canned, as the first sacrificial lamb. That creates even further chaos and insecurity, leading to worse (panic) coaching, and even more terrible on field play by all. Hurts should absolutely get the chance to start all year, but the fact is he likely won’t show improvement under these atrocious circumstances, so he’ll eventually get the hook. Could be announced prior to a game, after he (lousily) completed a full game. Better chance he gets an in game hook. I’m rolling with Danny “Loose Change” Dimes this week against the Chiefs, and then taking it one week at a time (standard coach speak) but leaning towards and seeing myself rolling with Dimes here on out. His skill position players are finally getting healthy, and at least Garrett is calling the plays, someone who has somewhat of a clue what he’s actually doing.

Good luck, all!
I'm not an Eagles fan (Bills fan here) but I am a Hurts manager, and that scenario you described seems quite likely to me.

NajehHejan said:

Good luck, all!
When the Red headed Clapper is considered smarter than the Eagles coaching staff, then that is a sad testimony on how bad they suck. Clappa Red couldn’t call a flag football game. Signed, 8 years of Garrett burned Cowboy fan. 

They are also in the bottom half of pressure allowed stats. They are not good.
Pressures allowed is often a QB stat (just like sacks are QB stat). 

Eagles are tied for 2nd in most pocket time (2.5s) and are 9th worst in pressure %/dropback. Hurts is has the 4th highest time-to-throw in the NFL at 3.01s/dropback. The players that top this list are either (a) bad QBs or (b) rushing QBs - or both. Top 5 are Zach Wilson, Lamar J, Winston, Hurts, and Geno Smith (or Bridgewater).

How do we untangle what is the OL and what is Hurts?

Well ESPN has a great stat called "pass block win rate" which is a calculation of how often the OL holds their blocks for 2.5 seconds (by this time the QB needs to have thrown the ball). 

The Eagles have the 8th best PBWR. This tells us that the Eagles pressures are almost entirely due to Hurts. You also have to factor in scheme but given how all rushing QBs lead to a team spike in sacks and pressures, I'm guessing this is mostly Hurts. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pressures allowed is often a QB stat (just like sacks are QB stat). 

Eagles are tied for 2nd in most pocket time (2.5s) and are 9th worst in pressure %/dropback. Hurts is has the 4th highest time-to-throw in the NFL at 3.01s/dropback. The players that top this list are either (a) bad QBs or (b) rushing QBs - or both. Top 5 are Zach Wilson, Lamar J, Winston, Hurts, and Geno Smith (or Bridgewater).

How do we untangle what is the OL and what is Hurts?

Well ESPN has a great stat called "pass block win rate" which is a calculation of how often the OL holds their blocks for 2.5 seconds (by this time the QB needs to have thrown the ball). 

The Eagles have the 8th best PBWR. This tells us that the Eagles pressures are almost entirely due to Hurts. You also have to factor in scheme but given how all rushing QBs lead to a team spike in sacks and pressures, I'm guessing this is mostly Hurts. 
One other consideration is the heavy use of RPO.  The first thing the QB is deciding is not where to throw the ball, it's whether to make the handoff or not.  There is at least 1 to 1.5 seconds consumed in that decision.  Then if he keeps it he needs to find a player to throw to.  So of course his time to throw will be longer if he is throwing after keeping an RPO.

Sounds like something a coach should understand and maybe change things up.

One other consideration is the heavy use of RPO.  The first thing the QB is deciding is not where to throw the ball, it's whether to make the handoff or not.  There is at least 1 to 1.5 seconds consumed in that decision.  Then if he keeps it he needs to find a player to throw to.  So of course his time to throw will be longer if he is throwing after keeping an RPO.

Sounds like something a coach should understand and maybe change things up.
I will let Eagles fans confirm or deny this but he seems to misread the DE/OLB on a lot of those RPOs. I have not watched much of the Eagles this year though. 

This seems bizarre to even consider to me.

The Eagles traded away their franchise QB to make Hurts the starter.  Why in the world would they give up on that after half a season when the dude doesn't even have a full season's worth of starts yet.

Sure if you have a shot at a proven veteran like Watson or Russ then yea, you definitely take that over Hurts.  Or a top draft pick (which they will have from the Fins) to make a Kyler Murray type move.

But for Gardner Minshew?

Is it time for the Jets to move on from Zach Wilson, or the Bears to move on from Justin Fields?  Those guys only have 5-6 fewer starts than Hurts and have both been MUCH worse than Hurts ever has.
This isn't true. They traded Wentz away because of Wentz, NOT because they were set on making Hurts a starter. HUGE difference.

hurts has been terrible. He's played WORSE then his numbers, much worse. Poor decisions, late throws, inaccurate throws even with a clean pocket and an open receiver. MAYBE he can get better, and we know what Minshew is so there's no good reason not to give Jalen a good long look (at least to the bye), but it's not because they wanted him to be the starter. He was drafted to be a backup and he looks like a backup

I will let Eagles fans confirm or deny this but he seems to misread the DE/OLB on a lot of those RPOs. I have not watched much of the Eagles this year though. 
They seem to run a lot of regular option plays where he can handoff to the RB or keep it and run himself off tackle or outside. Regardless of what the defense does Hurts keeps it nearly every time. Rarely hands off on the RPOs either, no matter what the Defense is doing.

Eagles aren't helping with play calling. HUrts is almost never under center.....regardless of down and distance. It's very odd, and seems to indicate that something is very very wrong with where he's at in his development. (I was livid watching him take a snap from 4 yards deep on 4th and goal from inside the 1!)

Users who are viewing this thread