What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jason Hill may start for the Niners at the slot (1 Viewer)

azcards34

Footballguy
49ers will miss Battle, Sims against Arizona

By Daniel Brown

Mercury News

Article Launched: 11/06/2008 07:46:33 PM PST

Even with an extra week off for the bye, some key 49ers are still ailing.

The team announced Thursday that receiver Arnaz Battle (sprained foot) and tackle Barry Sims (sprained ankle) would sit out the Arizona Cardinals game on Monday.

Battle, who leads 49ers receivers with 24 catches, suffered his injury in the fourth quarter against the Seattle Seahawks on Oct. 26.

He had held out faint hope that he would recover in time to run his consecutive-games streak to 43. Instead, Battle remains unsure when he will return.

"I'll just let the foot speak, and I'll know when it's ready," he said.

Jason Hill could step into Battle's role as the slot receiver. Hill meshed well with new quarterback Shaun Hill against Seattle, as the two connected three times for 38 yards and a touchdown in the second half.

As for replacing Sims, the team is hopeful that Jonas Jennings will be able to play for the first time since suffering a shoulder injury in Week 2. Jennings practiced on a limited basis Thursday.

If Jennings can't go, versatile Adam Snyder is a possibility at right tackle. Snyder started the first seven games at left guard. A year ago, he started the final 10 games at left tackle.

"It's a tough transition," Snyder said. "There are different things that happen at tackle than at guard. You just have to deal with them and do your best."

Safety Dashon Goldson (knee) had already been ruled out for the game. Linebacker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roderick Green (illness) did not practice.

Coach Mike Singletary's fiery first few weeks on the job hardly surprised another former Chicago Bear in the coaching ranks. Stanford Coach Jim Harbaugh broke into the NFL in 1987 and was Singletary's teammate until the linebacker retired after the '92 season.

When Singletary blasted tight end Vernon Davis on the sideline and then apologized for his team's performance, it looked familiar to Harbaugh.

"Mike Singletary's always had a high standard," the Cardinal coach said recently. He was that way as a player. "... He's establishing the way he thinks the culture should be run."

Speaking of the old Bears teams, former coach Mike Ditka interviewed Singletary last week for ESPN's weekly "Sunday Conversation." The segment will debut during the 7 p.m. SportsCenter on Sunday.

Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin has bounced back from a horrific helmet-to-helmet collision with New York Jets safety Eric Smith on Sept. 28. Boldin suffered fractures in his face that required seven plates and 40 screws. But he missed just two games, and has had receiving games of 63 and 85 yards since coming back. "No ill effects, none at all," he said in a conference call with Bay Area reporters. "If I had some reservations, I wouldn't be on the field."

article on 49ers WRs

Niners look to youth at receiver

Jason Hill and rookie Josh Morgan can expect plenty of playing time vs. Arizona

By MATT MAIOCCO

PRESS DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Hill is filling in for injured Arnaz Battle as the team’s No. 3 receiver. But that is not the way he sees it. Just like Mike Singletary, Hill wants to remove the “interim” from his title, too.

“I’m going to try to not give them any reason to take the spot from me even when Arnaz comes back,” Hill said Friday afternoon.

When the 49ers take the field Monday night against the Arizona Cardinals, the youngsters will have an expanded role. Hill is scheduled to get the most playing time in his career, while rookie Josh Morgan has officially taken over for veteran Bryant Johnson at split end.

“I’m excited, first of all, to see them get the opportunity, (and) next of all, to take advantage of it,” said Singletary, the 49ers’ interim head coach. “I know they’re talented guys. They make it happen out here and, of course, in the game situations, particularly a Monday night, we’ll see if they’re ready for that step. After the game I’m sure we’ll all know.”

Starting flanker Isaac Bruce, who turns 36 on Monday, is midway through his 15th NFL seasons. Hill and Morgan have combined for two years of professional experience. And nobody knows quite what to expect.

The 49ers have routinely missed since 1996 when it came to drafting wide receivers. After selecting Terrell Owens in the third round of the ’96 draft, the 49ers have chosen 12 wideouts. Ten of those players are no longer around.

Hill, a third-round pick in 2007, and Morgan, a sixth-rounder, should get plenty of chances to show what they can do. Hill played only 30 snaps of offense last season as a rookie.

“This is probably the best opportunity he’s had, but we’ll see,” 49ers receivers coach Jerry Sullivan said. “I’m not going to pass any judgment until I see him do it in a game.”

Said Hill, “Now is the time for me. I’m getting more and more comfortable in the offense. I’ve been patient. I’m calm and collected, but I wanted my turn, and now I have that opportunity.”

Morgan had a strong training camp, but his development was derailed when he lost 15 pounds with a staph infection. He has slowly worked into the mix to supplant Johnson as the starter.

Morgan has 11 catches for 160 yards and a touchdown, but he has also dropped three passes.

“Josh has kind of been up and down a little,” 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz said. “Our expectations for Josh are to be an elite player. I think he can do that. He just needs to move in that direction now.”

Jason Hill has now had two nice games in a row, 7 catches to only 4 for Morgan (tho Morgan got the score) with Shaun Hill under center. Both are available in a PPR league. Who is the guy to have? SF has some nice matchups should Hill turn out to be the guy, and SF gets it turned around a little bit.

It looked like late in the game Morgan got hurt a bit (I thought I saw him feeling some pain in his man area?). I think after that Morgan was out and it was a lot of Hill looking for Hill. I have been waiting to hear if Morgan got hurt.

I think Morgan and Hill are pretty close in long term value but I still favor Morgan a bit.

JMO Jason Hill is the WR to own with Shaun under center for the 2nd half. Don't discount that they've been working exclusively together all season as backups.

I think you can stick a fork in Bruce and Battle for this year.

Few things to note, both good and bad for Jason Hill

-With Singletary the man now expect less passing and more grind it out football, regardless of Martz's presence

-A lot of Jason Hill's action came in the final drive

-Josh Morgan seems to be the big play maker, Hill's role seems to be more of a 'we need a few yards' variety, which is a good thing for PPR but may not be good for his upside

-Shaun Hill seemed to zero in on Jason when he needed an outlet, I bet they've worked a lot together on the scout team

-If history is any indication slot guys in Martz's offenses seem to be decent weekly ppr plays

-This doesn't seem to be your typical Martz offense

-Jason Hill definitely took advantage of his starting opportunity, I doubt they'll decrease his role as long as he keeps this up

Also, this was the first San Fran game I've watched this year, been reading a lot as I have at least one of Jason Hill and Morgan on all of my dyno's but haven't actually watched, so take all of that with a grain of salt.

I think hill was looking for hill a lot 2 games ago when he came in for sully, and he'll probably continue to give hill plenty of opps, but I'm concerned about who would get the td grabs.

on the other hand, morgan's groin is tweaked, so maybe hill > morgroin.

Cracked me up on MNF when Tirico said, "Catch made by Jason Hill. No relation to Shaun."
Out of those three, I like Tirico the most.Decisions, decisions. Bumping up for more opinions (paging anonymous bob).
Since you play in a PPR league I'd go with Jason Hill over Josh Morgan. Hill was really looking for Hill to close out the last game and while Morgan has looked really good for being rookie, Shaun has looked Jason's way a fair amount. Jason Hill is the smart ppr play here.

Cracked me up on MNF when Tirico said, "Catch made by Jason Hill. No relation to Shaun."
Out of those three, I like Tirico the most.Decisions, decisions. Bumping up for more opinions (paging anonymous bob).
Since you play in a PPR league I'd go with Jason Hill over Josh Morgan. Hill was really looking for Hill to close out the last game and while Morgan has looked really good for being rookie, Shaun has looked Jason's way a fair amount. Jason Hill is the smart ppr play here.
Thanks!

I think hill was looking for hill a lot 2 games ago when he came in for sully, and he'll probably continue to give hill plenty of opps, but I'm concerned about who would get the td grabs.on the other hand, morgan's groin is tweaked, so maybe hill > morgroin.
I wouldn't worry about the touchdowns. When Shaun came in two games ago he was really focused on Jason and that resulted in a touchdown. Last game Morgan got the touchdown but Jason Hill still had more targets, receptions and yards. More importantly, Shaun Hill really seems to have something going with Jason Hill. Jason didn't get a touchdown last game but he did have one of his receptions stopped at about the one yard line so he's not being ignored in the redzone - touchdowns are a fluky thing and he just didn't happen to get one against the Cardinals. He's still the better play in ppr leagues.

Thanks!
No problem! :goodposting:

Morgan has been declared Out for this weekend, as has Battle (again).

Link

Rookie receiver Josh Morgan has been ruled out of Sunday's game against the Rams with a groin strain.

Morgan, who has emerged as the starter at split end, sustained the injury Monday night but continued to play. He caught four passes for 54 yards, including a picturesque touchdown.

Receiver Arnaz Battle (foot) and safety Dashon Goldson (knee) have also been ruled out of action.

Running back Frank Gore (neck), tight end Delanie Walker (shoulder) and tackle Barry Sims (ankle) did not practice today, but each is expected to be available for Sunday's game.

With Morgan and Battle out of action, first-year player Dominique Zeigler is expected to get additional playing time. In his NFL debut, Zeigler caught one pass for 22 yards. Zeigler is now the No. 2 at split end, as well as the slot. Zeigler will get on the field when the 49ers go with four wides.

I think hill was looking for hill a lot 2 games ago when he came in for sully, and he'll probably continue to give hill plenty of opps, but I'm concerned about who would get the td grabs.on the other hand, morgan's groin is tweaked, so maybe hill > morgroin.
I wouldn't worry about the touchdowns. When Shaun came in two games ago he was really focused on Jason and that resulted in a touchdown. Last game Morgan got the touchdown but Jason Hill still had more targets, receptions and yards. More importantly, Shaun Hill really seems to have something going with Jason Hill. Jason didn't get a touchdown last game but he did have one of his receptions stopped at about the one yard line so he's not being ignored in the redzone - touchdowns are a fluky thing and he just didn't happen to get one against the Cardinals. He's still the better play in ppr leagues.
For the record, quite a few of those targets came late in the game after Morgan left with his groin injury. With Morgan now out however, Hill becomes a decent play.

I am really suprised noone is talking about this guy. He has performed 2 weeks in a row from the slot after finally getting a chance to play and this week he has his first start in his hometown, now the #2 and playing against the Rams secondary......Expecting a big game from him this week.....

11-15) 13:41 PST -- In the process of losing a game in agonizing fashion, the 49ers nevertheless found themselves a wide receiver. Maybe two, as a matter of fact.

Images

View More Images

More Sports

Raiders-Dolphins capsule 11.15.08

Redwoods League's green backing 11.15.08

Big Brother is watching, even in Northern California wilds 11.15.08

Earth to NFL: Time to toss the headsets 11.15.08

One positive to emerge from the 49ers' chaotic loss at Arizona on Monday night was the sterling play of second-year man Jason Hill - a native San Franciscan, no less.

The 23-year-old Sacred Heart Cathedral product and Washington State standout led the team with six receptions for 82 yards as he and quarterback Shaun Hill (no relation) showed an affinity that went beyond their common surname.

"It's more than just sharing the last name," quarterback Hill said. "Obviously, that's a guy over the last couple years that I've had a chance to throw a lot of balls to with the scout team in practice. I guess there's a little bit of familiarity with him. But he came in and played well, and he has to keep that going."

Receiver Hill plans to do just that, now that he's been elevated to the No. 3 wideout with the injury to rookie starter Josh Morgan, out with a strained groin. In limited playing time to this point, Hill has nine catches for 120 yards and one touchdown.

A 6-foot, 202-pound player, Hill figures to have an expanded role in the offense today at Candlestick Park when the 49ers play the Rams in a desperate duel among 2-7 teams. The game has all the more meaning for a young man who went to games at Candlestick as a kid and is now playing for the hometown team.

"I grew up in the City watching Jerry Rice and John Taylor, and now I'm in the same locker room as those guys were," Hill said. "I made it to quite a few games at the 'Stick. It's a blessing to run through the same tunnel as those guys. It's an honor to put on the same silks (uniform) as them. You dream about it but you don't dream about it."

That last statement required explanation:

"You say it amongst your family and friends but you never say it to yourself and believe it," Hill said, referring to the possibility of playing for the hometown team. "There are 32 teams in the league. You never dream that they'll pick you."

Oh, but they did. The 49ers tabbed Hill with their first of two picks in the third round in a 2007 draft that looks better and better as time goes on.

The first two picks were immediate winners in linebacker Patrick Willis and tackle Joe Staley, then came Hill and defensive end Ray McDonald in the third round. Safety Dashon Goldson (currently injured) in the fourth round and cornerback Tarell Brown in the fifth form a group of players that in year two are either starting or are valuable backups.

Hill, for one, is a player seemingly growing in confidence and maturity by the day after a rookie season in which he was all but invisible with one catch for 6 yards.

One play in particular in Arizona showed Hill's ability to go get the ball and hold onto it. On a fourth-quarter drive that ultimately ended in an interception, Hill ran a short out pattern to the right and got his hands on the back half of the ball but still held on for a 6-yard gain.

It was a terrific catch of a kind many receivers would have been unable to secure. Hill credited his strong hands for the catch. Repeatedly thrusting his hands in a bin of uncooked rice and closing his fingers - a practice from his Washington State days - apparently paid off.

"It was important," Hill said of that catch. "I plan to play in this league a long time, and you have to make plays like that to stay in this league. I caught the ball at the bottom end of the ball. I just squeezed it tight and came up with the catch."

Coming from the defensive side of the ball, coach Mike Singletary was not too familiar with Hill upon taking over for Mike Nolan. The interim coach lumped Hill in with first-year players Morgan and Dominique Zeigler when he spoke to them before Monday night's game.

No matter. They all had their moments, even Zeigler. Just promoted from the practice squad, he and came up with a 22-yard reception on the same fourth-quarter drive in which Hill made his remarkable back-of-the-ball catch.

"I talked to ... all the rookie receivers and just let them know it's time to step up," Singletary said. "We don't have any more rookies. It's time to go. I thought Jason responded really well. It was a great opportunity for him. Hopefully, he continues to perform and do well."

As added incentive, Hill had an opportunity to listen to advice Rice gave him when they spoke before the season.

"He said, 'Always work on you. Do everything you can do. Do the things that you do well. Don't worry if the quarterback doesn't put the ball where it should be. Run your routes correctly,' " Hill said.

It should not be a problem for quarterback Hill to put the ball where receiver Hill can go get it. Their affinity makes Hill-to-Hill a combination worth watching the rest of the season and beyond.

Having bumped this thread initially, I know I'm talking about him. I'm having a major PPR flex conundrum between J Lewis, Betts and Hill. With Morgan and Battle out, it's really hard to sit Hill.

Would love to see some board projections for Hill.

need a big one from him and starting with confidence over Holt but worried about the Singletary effect on the passing game :confused:

Having bumped this thread initially, I know I'm talking about him. I'm having a major PPR flex conundrum between J Lewis, Betts and Hill. With Morgan and Battle out, it's really hard to sit Hill.Would love to see some board projections for Hill.
Grrrr...I picked him up and then dropped him for Santonio Holmes. My league awards pts for kick/punt returns but Holmes hasn't doen alot this year. Anyone have an idea what Hill looks like going forward in PPR?Anythoughts appreciated!!!

who would you say has better upside for the balance of the year, 36 year-old Bruce or Jason Hill? Seems like the slot position in Martz plan is usually the guy to target, although not really sure that's going to be true going forward with Singletary running the show.

Not sure why you say Singletary is running the show. Everytime I see his PC, he is stating, " I don't know, Martz made that call......"

do any homers have a feel on which SF wide receiver is the better play now? johnson looked better last week than hill. in a game where the niners will probably be passing a bit, who would be the better play? i am tending to think hill is a better play than bryant johnson but johnson sort of has a better body of work so maybe is more trustworthy. any thoughts?

do any homers have a feel on which SF wide receiver is the better play now? johnson looked better last week than hill. in a game where the niners will probably be passing a bit, who would be the better play? i am tending to think hill is a better play than bryant johnson but johnson sort of has a better body of work so maybe is more trustworthy. any thoughts?
Johnson is on a trial, one-year deal and hasn't shown to be a future #1. I wouldn't be surprised to see the younger guys getting more work as the season progresses. Look for Hill's 3rd year breakout season next year.

for the balance of this season, though, who would you want on your team? or would you stay away?

for the balance of this season, though, who would you want on your team? or would you stay away?
For the remaider of '08, nobody on the 9ers are any better than a #4 on a bad team. FWIW, Hill is my #7 on a dynasty squad. He could easily elevate to a #4 or 5 next year on that team though.

Depends on how badly your team needs a WR, but as others have said above, I think Hill is the play here as the Niners look to see what they have in him and Morgan as their season winds down.Hill's hands look really good, size isn't bad and when push came to shove against Arizona, Shaun Hill was looking for his namesake on his first progression almost every time.

What do people see as his future in SF?
I held him in my 25 roster dynasty (also own Morgan and thought I would get Crabtree at 1.03). I think he is already better than Jones and Bruce will be gone this year. I would not be surprised to see him as the 3rd WR as all he has to do is beat out Jones. Morgan, Crabtree, and Bruce will fight it out for the two outside spots. Bruce will be gone next year as well. Problem is he may never get above #3 in SF.

I think he will need injuries to get alot of opportunity as Morgan and Bruce and Crabtree are all ahead of him. But he is a guy I continue to monitor.

Users who are viewing this thread