What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Javon Walker Trade - Tally is in! (1 Viewer)

Javon Walker Trade - Tally is in!

• Good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

• Should have kept him

• Other (explain)

• Total voters

Big Score

Footballguy
The trade of Walker by Thompson, has netted the Pack;

Daryn Colledge - OT

Will Blackmon - WR

Ingle Martin - QB

Johnny Jolly - DT

Tyrone Culver - FS

Thompson & the Pack turned one player (albeit arguably an elite player) into potentially five four.

(Obviously there is the potential that not all five four players will pan out)

How do you see Thompson's handling of the Walker situation?

EDIT: To take out the Ingle Martin - QB pick. As pointed out - a swap of existing 5th rounder with Atlanta, dropping Packers 9 spots in 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:
voted other: win-win :thumbup:

denver clearly added the best player on a win now team...green bay added some much needed depth in a rebuilding effort

Last edited:
They netted 4 players from that trade. They already had a 5th round pick prior to the Walker trade and that pick went from selection #139 to #148. That selection was used on Martin.

Didn't the Pack only get a second?
trade downs...the packers traded down multiple times throughout the draft
1. (Acquired from the Broncos for Javon Walker, then traded along with pick no. 139 to Atlanta for nos. 47, 93, and 148)2. They then traded pick #93 to St. Louis for pick nos. 109 and 183)

people keep pointing that Walker only had one good year when he actualy had 2.

it takes 3 years to become or rise to the elite and Walker did that while having a great 2nd year as well.

he's young still has more potential and a higher ceiling then any other WR coming from this wideout weak draft.

ACL's are recoverable. its not the end of the world that he had an ACL injury, i'd gamble on him and the recovery of the injury then any pick that was selected.

Didn't the Pack only get a second?
trade downs...the packers traded down multiple times throughout the draft
1. (Acquired from the Broncos for Javon Walker, then traded along with pick no. 139 to Atlanta for nos. 47, 93, and 148)2. They then traded pick #93 to St. Louis for pick nos. 109 and 183)
Ok, thanks. I do remember being very :confused: when three teams in a row trade one pick. Just lost track after that.

it takes 3 years to become or rise to the elite and Walker did that while having a great 2nd year as well.

he's young still has more potential and a higher ceiling then any other WR coming from this wideout weak draft.

ACL's are recoverable. its not the end of the world that he had an ACL injury, i'd gamble on him and the recovery of the injury then any pick that was selected.
That may be true but Walker wanted out and he would have ultimately left GB via free agency. The Packers did a great job to get 4 draft picks for him.

The 9 TDs in his second season was a strong number. The 41 receptions were not. Plenty of WRs have caught a lot of TDs in one season and never amounted to nothing. Hell, the Packers signed one this off-season by the name of Marc Boerigter. The fact is Walker has only had one season in which he performed as a first-round pick. That's it. Now I like him quite a bit and I believe he's a genuine talent but I'm not going to sit here and pretend he did much in his first two seasons that would merit his first-round standing because he did not.

With regard to the trade, it's too soon to evaluate it. The Packers did well in terms of adding a large number of players in exchange for one. Colledge should step in immediately and be an impact player in terms of fortifying the offensive line. If any of the other players becomes a starter and/or makes a noticeable impact in the future this trade will have worked out quite well for the Packers. It should also be noted that the Packers received more for Javon Walker than the Vikings did for Daunte Culpeppre so I hope those who criticize the trade also criticized the Culpepper deal for the Vikings or else their credibility will take a major hit IMO.

The Broncos did well here getting Walker in exchange for a second-round pick. A healthy Javon Walker is worth much more than they gave up so it's a good risk for them to take. They badly needed a WR to complement Rod Smith and now they got one who has the potential to be better (keep in mind Smith is still pretty darn good). They took a calculated risk in terms of Walker's health and contract situation but it's a good risk IMO given the talent involved.

If I had to vote, I'd say right now it was a win-win for both teams.

I love the way Thompson traded down and acquired more picks. He definitely added some much needed help and depth. For that reason I like the trade(s).

This will be one to look back on in a few years and see just how good/bad it really turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted other because I think they should have kept the pick prior to the trade - picked Chad Jackson and then traded Walker away. But it wasn't a bad trade.

It's a good trade for both teams when you factor in the things surrounding Walker. If Walker would have been on good terms with the Pack...it would have been a bad trade for them. In the overall scheme, the Broncos got the better end of the deal but the Packers did a good job with the bad situation that was created.

They netted 4 players from that trade. They already had a 5th round pick prior to the Walker trade and that pick went from selection #139 to #148. That selection was used on Martin.
Corrected & thanks.

Daryn Colledge - OT

Will Blackmon - WR

Ingle Martin - QB

Johnny Jolly - DT

Tyrone Culver - FS

Thompson & the Pack turned one player (albeit arguably an elite player) into potentially five.

(Obviously there is the potential that not all five players will pan out)

It's Walker plus:# 5th round, No. 139: Quinn Ojinnaka, OT, Syracuse

for those players.
Corrected & thanks.

It's a good trade for both teams when you factor in the things surrounding Walker. If Walker would have been on good terms with the Pack...it would have been a bad trade for them. In the overall scheme, the Broncos got the better end of the deal but the Packers did a good job with the bad situation that was created.
:goodposting: Obviously Denver got the better end of the deal from a talent standpoint I don't mind the trade at all. The rift between Walker and the Pack was too great and if Walker would've played for the Pack this year it would've been uncomfortable for everyone involved. And what good does it do GB when Walker leaves at the end of the year? I'm just happy they got something (in the ballpark) for what he was worth.

So you voted should have kept him?

Daryn Colledge - OT

Will Blackmon - WR

Ingle Martin - QB

Johnny Jolly - DT

Tyrone Culver - FS

Thompson & the Pack turned one player (albeit arguably an elite player) into potentially five four.

(Obviously there is the potential that not all five four players will pan out)

EDIT: To take out the Ingle Martin - QB pick. As pointed out - a swap of existing 5th rounder with Atlanta, dropping Packers 9 spots in 5th.
Good trade for both team, but great for the Packers. If Colledge turns into the player I think he can be then the Packers will have made out like bandits. Between Jennings and Blackmon they should be able to find at least one good starting WR.

Denver got a steal, a great WR for not much, I mean Seattle gave up a 3rd round pick for Nate B., who will never be much more than a #3 WR, but Walker is the real deal.

Denver got a steal, a great WR for not much, I mean Seattle gave up a 3rd round pick for Nate B., who will never be much more than a #3 WR, but Walker is the real deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah Denver got the better end of the deal but it wasn't as bad as Minnesota trading Culpepper for what ended up being Ryan Cook. :lmao:

I originally voted "bad", but what I was really thinking was that Denver got the better of the deal. You guys have convinced me that it was win-win.

<<Packer Homer Disclaimer>>

Denver clearly got the betetr end of the deal.

Walker needed to go, but the Packers should have gotten more for him. Thompson seems to have this philosophy of loading up on late round picks and then taking people who might have been undrafted free agents anyway.

I would like to have seen the Packers get a CB or S in return along with a pick.

Given Woodson's history of injury and the poor effort to replace the loss of Darren Sharper last year, teh secondary remains their signle biggest liability and it was largely unaddressed.

I'll add a write-in vote for "inevitable". They really didnt have a lot of choice in the matter and ended up getting something while minimizing the headache.

Users who are viewing this thread