What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaworski on Cutler (1 Viewer)

Chaos Commish

Footballguy
He likes him. He really likes him.

“It’s not my decision, obviously. It’s a tough decision,” Jaworski said. “I have studied all the quarterbacks, and I like [Jay] Cutler the best of them.”

Jaworski says his preference for the Vanderbilt star is not to belittle the accomplishments of the more heralded Matt Leinart and Vince Young. He just believes that the Commodore quarterback is NFL-ready because of the circumstances he played under.

“I think Matt Leinart is going to be very good, and I think Vince Young is going to be very good. … Everyone has different opinions. What I like about Cutler is that he threw with pressure on him,” Jaworski said. “His offensive line wasn’t that good, and I saw throws that you have to make at the NFL level, people around him, bodies, throwing from different platforms, around people, sidearm, over the top, and taking hits looking down the gun barrel.

“I didn’t see a whole lot of separation from his wide receiving corps, so he was throwing through tight windows. He had to throw accurately with pressure on him. That projects well in the National Football League.”

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and even one of Jaworski’s ESPN cohorts regards Cutler as the draft’s most overrated player right now.

“Mel [Kiper] has his own opinion. I look at the game tape, and that doesn’t lie,” Jaworski said. “When you look at every pass Vince Young has thrown, every pass Jay Cutler has thrown, and every pass Matt Leinart has thrown, you get a pretty good idea. I don’t need anyone to tell me. I played 30 years at the quarterback position, so I’ve got a pretty good feel for it.”
Sounds like Jaws watched the same film I did. Not to pat myself on the back, but you gotta respect Jaws, and he's reporting the exact same things two weeks before the draft that I was writing two weeks before Christmas. Cutler > Leinart. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutler > Leinart. :yes:
In physical ability? In leadership skills? Looks?In other words, as a complete package, do you like Cutler better than Leinart to lead your NFL franchise for the next 8-10 years?

Sounds like Jaws watched the same film I did. Not to pat myself on the back, but you gotta respect Jaws, and he's reporting the exact same things two weeks before the draft that I was writing two weeks before Christmas.

I reported it 3 weeks before Christmas.

Hey Chaos,

You're nothing if not consistent in your defense of Cutler. And while I am a big Jaws fan, I can't help but think he likes Cutler the best because he sees himself in Cutler. Always under pressure, having to make plays when you don't have a lot of help, finding a way to win ugly.

Time will tell, you're not alone in your like for Cutler, although you are in the minority (as you know).

Sounds like Jaws watched the same film I did. Not to pat myself on the back, but you gotta respect Jaws, and he's reporting the exact same things two weeks before the draft that I was writing two weeks before Christmas.

Fullback Fro > Chaos Commish :yes:

Always respect the opinion of Jaws. The guy does his homework like no one else. One line that caught my attention though...

"What I like about Cutler is that he threw with pressure on him"

I agree and disagree with that statement. I agree with what Jaws said about lack of protection and surrounding talent. Yet, on the flipside Cutler had zero pressure on him compared to Leinart and Young. Being QB at Vandy is nothing compared to be a QB ot UT or SC. Therefore we don't know how Cutler will react being in a big media market or playing in big games where there's real pressure actually on him. Not saying he can't deal with it because we can't know due to his circumstances. Yet, we do know the other two can handle those situations.

Hey Chaos,

You're nothing if not consistent in your defense of Cutler. And while I am a big Jaws fan, I can't help but think he likes Cutler the best because he sees himself in Cutler. Always under pressure, having to make plays when you don't have a lot of help, finding a way to win ugly.

Time will tell, you're not alone in your like for Cutler, although you are in the minority (as you know).
I had the same thought (bolded). In fact, Jay is similar to Jaworski in many ways. It's going to come down to what's between his ears, I think.

Hey Chaos,

If he wakes up in a cold sweat screaming LT's name than he will definetly be a Jaws clone.

Always respect the opinion of Jaws. The guy does his homework like no one else. One line that caught my attention though...

I agree and disagree with that statement. I agree with what Jaws said about lack of protection and surrounding talent. Yet, on the flipside Cutler had zero pressure on him compared to Leinart and Young. Being QB at Vandy is nothing compared to be a QB ot UT or SC. Therefore we don't know how Cutler will react being in a big media market or playing in big games where there's real pressure actually on him. Not saying he can't deal with it because we can't know due to his circumstances. Yet, we do know the other two can handle those situations.
I think Jaws is referring to pressure on the field from the defense i.e. Leinart's and Young's protection was better than Cutler's

What kind of track record does Jaworski have with his ability to scout?? In other words, when he talks...should we listen?? Or is this another effort for a sportscaster to get his name in the lights??

TIA

Different kinds of pressure. Young and Leinart typically had great protection. Jay would get hammered in three tics. Also, many of Vandy's games last year were true pressure cookers on the field. At Tennessee, at Gainesville... both every bit as pressure packed as many of Young and Leinart's arenas. Those were Jay's best moments, btw.

What kind of track record does Jaworski have with his ability to scout?? In other words, when he talks...should we listen?? Or is this another effort for a sportscaster to get his name in the lights??

TIA
I think we can all respect him for breaking down tape, but I have no idea about his record for evaluating talent. I am a little tired of anyone scouting Cutler and being impressed then being accused of attention whoring. The dude looks great on film. He has the best arm of the bunch and it isn't close. He is very very accurate. Much moreso than Leinart, who cannot throw deep, sails the ball, cannot hit the sideline with velocity and never hits those small windows. All things Cutler excells at and translate to the next level.

TIA
A fair question. I will say that Jaworski certainly watches quite a bit more film than most talking heads, by virtue of all the time he spends at NFL Films for the NFL Matchup show. But, that said, so does Merrill Hoge (his co-host) and you won't find an ESPN personality with a worse batting average.

TIA
Are you serious? Yes, you should listen.

Always respect the opinion of Jaws.  The guy does his homework like no one else.  One line that caught my attention though...

I agree and disagree with that statement.  I agree with what Jaws said about lack of protection and surrounding talent.  Yet, on the flipside Cutler had zero pressure on him compared to Leinart and Young.  Being QB at Vandy is nothing compared to be a QB ot UT or SC.  Therefore we don't know how Cutler will react being in a big media market or playing in big games where there's real pressure actually on him.  Not saying he can't deal with it because we can't know due to his circumstances.  Yet, we do know the other two can handle those situations.
Different kinds of pressure. Young and Leinart typically had great protection. Jay would get hammered in three tics. Also, many of Vandy's games last year were true pressure cookers on the field. At Tennessee, at Gainesville... both every bit as pressure packed as many of Young and Leinart's arenas. Those were Jay's best moments, btw.
I strongly disagree that it was the same pressure. Vandy is expected to lose and if they do it's no big deal. That's the type of program they have. That just isn't the case with UT and SC where winning is the only expectation. Young or Leinart in the Rose Bowl or Leinart at ND are situations where there were major implications and the weight of the world was resting on the arm of the QB. Not saying Cutler can't handle that because he hasn't been in that situation. It's one of thoise intangibles we won't know until he gets to the NFL. Who knows he may thrive in that environment.

Always respect the opinion of Jaws.  The guy does his homework like no one else.  One line that caught my attention though...

I agree and disagree with that statement.  I agree with what Jaws said about lack of protection and surrounding talent.  Yet, on the flipside Cutler had zero pressure on him compared to Leinart and Young.  Being QB at Vandy is nothing compared to be a QB ot UT or SC.  Therefore we don't know how Cutler will react being in a big media market or playing in big games where there's real pressure actually on him.  Not saying he can't deal with it because we can't know due to his circumstances.  Yet, we do know the other two can handle those situations.
I strongly disagree that it was the same pressure. Vandy is expected to lose and if they do it's no big deal. That's the type of program they have. That just isn't the case with UT and SC where winning is the only expectation. Young or Leinart in the Rose Bowl or Leinart at ND are situations where there were major implications and the weight of the world was resting on the arm of the QB. Not saying Cutler can't handle that because he hasn't been in that situation. It's one of thoise intangibles we won't know until he gets to the NFL. Who knows he may thrive in that environment.
Chaos and I have debated Cutler offline and I posed a question to him...name me one college QB that had a comparable W-L record to Cutler AND his propensity for turnovers and turned into a successful NFL QB.To his credit he threw out a few guys including Trent Green and Matt Hasselbeck as examples in Cutler's defense.

But I retorted that neither guy cost an NFL team a high 1st round pick (Hassy was a 6th rounder, Green was an 8th rounder); ergo the risk/reward was significantly altered.

Chaos, for the record, also said he would NOT draft Jay Cutler in the top 10 were he an NFL GM.

TIA
I think we can all respect him for breaking down tape, but I have no idea about his record for evaluating talent. I am a little tired of anyone scouting Cutler and being impressed then being accused of attention whoring. The dude looks great on film. He has the best arm of the bunch and it isn't close. He is very very accurate. Much moreso than Leinart, who cannot throw deep, sails the ball, cannot hit the sideline with velocity and never hits those small windows. All things Cutler excells at and translate to the next level.
I'm also high on Cutler, but when it comes right down to it I couldn't take him over Leinart in the draft. It's not the talent I question since they both are very talented guys, but Leinart has proven himself year after year in the biggest spotlight in football. If he goes to the Titans he'll actually be under less media attention than in LA. There seems to be less risk with Leinart even though I prefer Cutler's skills and Leinart is the most NFL ready QB in the draft. The risk factor and NFL readiness are the reason I also have Cutler above Young.

You should read about the pressure they put on themselves to break the decades long drought at Tennessee. Emotional pressure at UT and USC is definitely higher. Jaws was referring to physical pressure. You cannot possibly think Leinart and Young faced anything similar.

Chaos, for the record, also said he would NOT draft Jay Cutler in the top 10 were he an NFL GM.
Absolutely true. Obviously, I don't think Leinart merits such a high pick either, but the resume demands it. I hope he's up to it. Since he won't be in the NFC East, I wish him success. And to further the record, I like Young better than both.

You should read about the pressure they put on themselves to break the decades long drought at Tennessee. Emotional pressure at UT and USC is definitely higher. Jaws was referring to physical pressure. You cannot possibly think Leinart and Young faced anything similar.
1) All world physical traits2) Intangible leadership

3) Terrible supporting cast

4) Success amidst tons of pass rush pressure

Are we talking about J.P. Losman or Jay Cutler? Oh that's right...both :yes:

Chaos and I have debated Cutler offline and I posed a question to him...name me one college QB that had a comparable W-L record to Cutler AND his propensity for turnovers and turned into a successful NFL QB.To his credit he threw out a few guys including Trent Green and Matt Hasselbeck as examples in Cutler's defense.

But I retorted that neither guy cost an NFL team a high 1st round pick (Hassy was a 6th rounder, Green was an 8th rounder); ergo the risk/reward was significantly altered.

I wouldn't draft him in the Top 10 either, and I am a huge Cutler fan. Obviously that is just a ton of risk. That said I think he is going to be a very fine pro player. From what I read Jaws wasn't saying to Draft Cutler in the top of the draft, just that he thinks Cutler will be succesful. I think Leinart and Young will be good as well though. I know it isn't likely that all 3 QBs turn out to be great players, but I think it is possible with these guys.

Playing in the SEC East vs playing in Conference USA isn't that comparable to be honest. Loshaman consistently played bad schools with very few NFL prospects. Granted I am an SEC fan so I probably have a bias.

I zeroed in on the emotional/intangible aspect. Being in a city like Boston I tend to really focus on that because I've seen more than my share of athletes unable to handle this type of pressure and pretty much implode.

Cutler > Leinart.  :yes:
In physical ability? In leadership skills? Looks?In other words, as a complete package, do you like Cutler better than Leinart to lead your NFL franchise for the next 8-10 years?
Leinart is a handsome guy..NTTAWWT

I'm also high on Cutler, but when it comes right down to it I couldn't take him over Leinart in the draft. It's not the talent I question since they both are very talented guys, but Leinart has proven himself year after year in the biggest spotlight in football. If he goes to the Titans he'll actually be under less media attention than in LA. There seems to be less risk with Leinart even though I prefer Cutler's skills and Leinart is the most NFL ready QB in the draft. The risk factor and NFL readiness are the reason I also have Cutler above Young.
Fair enough. Not to hijack my own topic, but there's been several interesting blurbs in a half dozen or so articles claiming the Titans are torn between all three QBs. I have two sources I really trust and I have been trying to get this validated. Both responded last night, and while one was more detailed they said the same thing. Here's how I understand it.

Leinart supporters are led by Chow and are in the smallest minority.

Cutler supporters are led by Fisher and number higher than Leinart supporters.

Young supporters are led by Adams and most of the scouting department.

The Cutler and Young factions are equally negative on the other but both like Leinart a strong second to their preference, thus bumping Leinart considerably in the decision process, which is still far from settled. Sounds like fun.

Who was the last "indisputabley great" quarterback prospect?

As in there was no question he would succeed and lead his team from the get go?

Sounds like Jaws watched the same film I did.  Not to pat myself on the back, but you gotta respect Jaws, and he's reporting the exact same things two weeks before the draft that I was writing two weeks before Christmas. 

Cutler > Leinart.  :yes:
I was there when he popped out of the womb, I said right than and there that this kid is NFL ready.

Sounds like Jaws watched the same film I did.  Not to pat myself on the back, but you gotta respect Jaws, and he's reporting the exact same things two weeks before the draft that I was writing two weeks before Christmas. 

Cutler > Leinart.   :yes:
I was there when he popped out of the womb, I said right than and there that this kid is NFL ready.
I was there when the parents were having sex :excited:

1) All world physical traits

2) Intangible leadership

I am not sure where you heard Losman was a great leader. I recall him having a selfish attitude at Tulane, and pretty much everyone on the team hated him.

No way he is, or no way he was considered as such?

Just because it's not quite turning out that way yet, doesn't mean that wasn't the perception.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just because it's not quite turning out that way yet, doesn't mean that wasn't the perception.
I'd say he was most definitely NOT considered a lock to be great.

What kind of track record does Jaworski have with his ability to scout??  In other words, when he talks...should we listen??  Or is this another effort for a sportscaster to get his name in the lights??

TIA
Are you serious? Yes, you should listen.
Are you serious??Jaws once touted Cade McNown as the most polished QB of the '99 draft. He was quoted as saying, "He (McNown) can make an immediate impact in the National Football League," Jaws said.

Silly me for requesting his overall track record, especially with QB's... :rolleyes:

Absolutely true. Obviously, I don't think Leinart merits such a high pick either, but the resume demands it. I hope he's up to it. Since he won't be in the NFC East, I wish him success. And to further the record, I like Young better than both.
Do you think Young warrants a top 10 pick over Leinart and Cutler?

I dunno, he was the unquestioned #1.If not him, I would have suggested Vick, but I understand the questions about his running style at the time.

:hey: Ooo. Ooo. Memememe!Answer: Yes

Playing in the SEC East vs playing in Conference USA isn't that comparable to be honest. Loshaman consistently played bad schools with very few NFL prospects. Granted I am an SEC fan so I probably have a bias.
Not to mention Losman's attitude, which made even his former RB Mewelde Moore admit he didn't like him.

I dunno, he was the unquestioned #1.If not him, I would have suggested Vick, but I understand the questions about his running style at the time.
Regardless, all I'm saying is that there are going to be big questions about ANY QB coming out since it's THE make or break position to draft. But when you have the potential franchise-style QB (of which any of these three have the potential to be) you take them because you HAVE to.

Who was the last "indisputabley great" quarterback prospect?

Palmer. Those that were questioning him, never saw him.

Who was the last "indisputably great" quarterback prospect?

Elway?
Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman and John Elway all come to mind at first thought...
But there was great debate between Manning/Leaf.I don't remember the buzz around Aikman.
There were more questions about Peyton and Aikman than Eli. Elway, I will give you. And more to the point, I agree with your position regarding drafting a potential franchise QB.

:hey: Ooo. Ooo. Memememe!Answer: Yes
That's why I love this QB class, eveybody has their own views of these guys. Should be good discussion for awhile.

What if the 49ers hadn't drafted Alex Smith last year?

They most certainly would have had a chance at one of the top 3 guys this year.

Wouldn't they have been better off taking someone like Braylon Edwards or one of the top 3 backs than Smith? Couldn't they have gutted it out with Tim Rattay last year and upgraded the QB position this year?

My point here is that Smith isn't even close in terms of "franchise-type" ability compared to the top 3 this year. There are times you bypass the BPA at QB, even if it's your biggest need.

Users who are viewing this thread