What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeeps keeping Iced-over Memphis moving : a Feel Good Story : (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Disclaimer: this is my Jeep club but this wasn't my idea, nor have I been out driving (sold my keep)... just have been trying to help with logistics and media requests. 

TLDR: Jeep Club gives thousands of free rides to healthcare workers to keep hospitals/clinics staffed during ice storm and pandemic.

Much of the south is iced over pretty good and Memphis is no exception. We got close to a foot of snow on top of nearly an inch of ice. Bad juju. City ground to a halt with no real blow/salt infrastructure to speak of. 

A bunch of members of Midsouth Jeep club got together and started giving rides to healthcare workers. Then the club officers got involved and an ad-hoc dispatch and ride request system was put in place. Then more members got involved... The results have been incredible: 

- Over 3000 ride requested so far 

- Over 2000 rides given to healthcare workers and first responders so far 

- Over 150 Jeep drivers covering north Mississippi, East Arkansas, West Tennessee 24 hours a day

- Hospitals now relying completely on service to stay open, sending employees direct to us.

- No money accepted.  Hospitals have offered to contract and pay for rides. The club/members have flatly refused compensation. 

- Centralized text group with dispatchers, 70+ core drivers working around the clock 

- Members have been assisting stuck police, fire and ambulance units across the city as well.

- Other runs that have been accepted. Are medicine/supply runs to assisted living facilities... driving organ donor couriers to airport or to recipients (one was Be The March marrow for a cancer patient). 

- Some drivers running 16-18 hours a day, logging 400+ miles and 4-5 tanks of gas out of their own pockets. 

- We've had about 8 members' jeeps damaged between broken axles, being rear ended, etc. The club is looking into offsetting repair expenses.

- Outpouring of support from healthcare workers and the community has been amazing. A true feel good story during a crappy time.

If anyone wants to see some images or read some of the stories, search "Mid South Jeeps" on Facebook and join the Group (not page). It's a really positive slice of humanity. I couldn't be more proud of this club and its members.

Users who are viewing this thread