What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeff Fisher doesn't think CJ is that good! (1 Viewer)

RE: touches. The Texans couldn't really stop the run (CJ was 13 for 65), and TEN was never far behind in the game, so abandoning the run is very peculiar. If they were putting 8 or 9 in the box it didn't show.
I take it you did not watch the game. On the Titans first drive, Johnson got thirty yards on three carries. The Texans made the adjustments and contained him from then on. If Kerry Collins had been able to throw accurate passes with those D-linemen in his face the Titans would've had sustained drives. Sustained drives are what the Titans are built on. They are not a team used to playing without a lead. The problem wasn't Fisher, it was Collins.
Actually it was 29. So that means he went 10 for 36 the rest of the game. Forget for the moment that tossing out some of his best runs is statistically misleading, you abandon running CJ whose averaging 3.6 yards a carry once the other team has "adjusted"? If they ran it 10 more times it would have worn down the defense. That is titan ball. They mysteriously got away from it, and they lost.
Worn down the defense??? How? The Texans were loading the box and stuffing the run to put them in passing situations. As a fellow CJ3 owner, I understand your frustration about his lack of touches, but it's clear you didn't actually watch this game or else you'd understand why the game shook out as it did.
Every team loads the box against them, that doesn't mean it's effective. TEN has run over a lot of teams by sticking with the run because, at some point, it wears the other team down. Sure.. if the team isn't getting even 2 YPC or something, then fine... move away from it, as they did against CHI as a recent example. But 4.2 YPC as a team?? 4.2 YPC when the other team is loading up against the run is precisely why they should have kept to it. The play calling was unforgivable.

And no, I didn't start CJ so I don't have a fantasy axe to grind.
the problem was that Collins couldn't complete an open pass yesterday. When teams stack the box you still need to be able to pick up 1st downs and they couldn't do it. So after the 1st two series it was essentially, CJ run (-1 yards), 2nd and 11 - incomplete pass, 3rd and 11 (screen pass for 3 yards/missed pass to TE/etc.).
^B-I-N-G-O^This 4.2 ypc talk is without context. At the risk of repeating myself, the Titans got about one-third of their total rushing yardage on three plays on their first drive of the game. Three rushes, 29 yards, 9.67 ypc. Subsequently, the Titans rushed for 71 yards on 21 carries for a whopping 3.38 ypc.

Fisher's play selection wasn't the reason Chris Johnson didn't have a big game. Blame Kerry Collins.
That puts it in to context, thanks. The Titans offensive line isn't good enough to move the 24th ranked defense off the line and/or their coach doesn't want them to so they can explore other options. The Titans lost the game. They did nothing on offense. They play the Steelers and Indy in the last two games. Is the coaching staff hoping to go into the playoffs on a three game losing streak demoralized and without a firm understanding of who they are? Fisher better not let this team slip away. With Haynesworth possibly out they need to find a way to win games.
I really don't think you can lay this at the feet of Fish. On a number of the play calls the WR/TE was open but for some unexplicable reason Collins couldn't come close to completing the passes that he has nearly every week he's been a starter. The Texans didn't do anything different than the other teams have over the 2nd half of the season...they stacked the box and that's usually led to Collins hitting the open WR's/TE's and making the defense pick their spots. On Sunday Collins couldn't complete wide open passes and when that happens there's nothing you can really do except change QB's (which isn't an option at this point).

RE: touches. The Texans couldn't really stop the run (CJ was 13 for 65), and TEN was never far behind in the game, so abandoning the run is very peculiar. If they were putting 8 or 9 in the box it didn't show.
I take it you did not watch the game. On the Titans first drive, Johnson got thirty yards on three carries. The Texans made the adjustments and contained him from then on. If Kerry Collins had been able to throw accurate passes with those D-linemen in his face the Titans would've had sustained drives. Sustained drives are what the Titans are built on. They are not a team used to playing without a lead. The problem wasn't Fisher, it was Collins.
Actually it was 29. So that means he went 10 for 36 the rest of the game. Forget for the moment that tossing out some of his best runs is statistically misleading, you abandon running CJ whose averaging 3.6 yards a carry once the other team has "adjusted"? If they ran it 10 more times it would have worn down the defense. That is titan ball. They mysteriously got away from it, and they lost.
Worn down the defense??? How? The Texans were loading the box and stuffing the run to put them in passing situations. As a fellow CJ3 owner, I understand your frustration about his lack of touches, but it's clear you didn't actually watch this game or else you'd understand why the game shook out as it did.
Every team loads the box against them, that doesn't mean it's effective. TEN has run over a lot of teams by sticking with the run because, at some point, it wears the other team down. Sure.. if the team isn't getting even 2 YPC or something, then fine... move away from it, as they did against CHI as a recent example. But 4.2 YPC as a team?? 4.2 YPC when the other team is loading up against the run is precisely why they should have kept to it. The play calling was unforgivable.

And no, I didn't start CJ so I don't have a fantasy axe to grind.
the problem was that Collins couldn't complete an open pass yesterday. When teams stack the box you still need to be able to pick up 1st downs and they couldn't do it. So after the 1st two series it was essentially, CJ run (-1 yards), 2nd and 11 - incomplete pass, 3rd and 11 (screen pass for 3 yards/missed pass to TE/etc.).
4th qtr runs by CJ... (all 2 of them):1-10-HOU 33 (8:16) 28-C.Johnson left end pushed ob at HOU 20 for 13 yards (23-D.Robinson).

1-10-HOU 49 (3:47) 28-C.Johnson right tackle to HOU 44 for 5 yards (90-M.Williams).

Tell me again why CJ did not get the ball more???
BECAUSE THEY WERE STUFFING THE RUN AND KEYING ON CJ3. Listen to someone who actually watched this game. Here are some plays that might give you some additional perspective: 1-10-HOU 15 (10:36) 28-C.Johnson right tackle to HOU 17 for -2 yards (98-A.Weaver).

2-12-HOU 17 (10:00) 5-K.Collins pass short right to 28-C.Johnson to HOU 16 for 1 yard (35-J.Reeves, 52-X.Adibi).

1-10-TEN 25 (10:54) 28-C.Johnson right tackle to TEN 21 for -4 yards (66-Deljuan Robinson).

2-14-TEN 21 (10:17) 5-K.Collins pass short middle to 28-C.Johnson to TEN 22 for 1 yard (52-X.Adibi, 66-Deljuan Robinson).

1-10-TEN 20 (7:39) 28-C.Johnson right end pushed ob at TEN 20 for no gain (26-E.Wilson).

1-10-HOU 48 (7:08) 28-C.Johnson up the middle to HOU 49 for -1 yards (57-K.Bentley).

2-1-TEN 45 (12:58) 28-C.Johnson up the middle to TEN 45 for no gain (99-T.Johnson).

And that's just CJ. Lendale White had eight carries, three of which went for negative yardage. The Titans were not able to run the ball against the Texans because the Texans were loading the box, tackling well in the open field, and putting pressure on Kerry Collins and forcing him to get rid of the ball. His accuracy was off all day, thus allowing the Texans defense to get off the field quickly.

Conversely, Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson were having their way with that punkass##### Cortland Finnegan and the rest of the Titans DBs. Although the Texans were unable to get much separation on the scoreboard (thanks in part to an uncharacteristic FG miss by Kris Brown), that offense can chew up yardage and clock when they're clicking, and they clicked against the Titans.

All you need to know is right here.

Fisher's decision to not kick the FG is very questionable, but the decision to not give CJ3 more carries was the right one under the circumstances. The defense was challenging his quarterback. Kerry Collins is an NFL quarterback. He has to make those throws.

Tell me again why CJ did not get the ball more???
There are two obvious answers.1. Jeff Fisher hates fantasy football.2. Jeff Fisher hates home field advantage.Take your pick.
:lmao: :lmao:
Fisher's decision to not kick the FG is very questionable, but the decision to not give CJ3 more carries was the right one under the circumstances. The defense was challenging his quarterback. Kerry Collins is an NFL quarterback. He has to make those throws.
Sorry you had to watch that in person, but you didn't convince me that it was the best decision to only give CJ 2 carries the entire 4th quarter when the 2 carries he had were very effective. Collins wasn't hitting the broad side of a barn but CJ had a 13yd run and a 5yd run. Sure, keep going to what doesn't work. :wall: Teams lose like this all the time. They are struggling with the run so they totally abandon it even when down only 1 score. This infrequently wins games unless you have a QB that is lights out. Suffice to say Collins was not that guy on sunday.

1-10-HOU 15 (10:36) 28-C.Johnson right tackle to HOU 17 for -2 yards (98-A.Weaver).

2-12-HOU 17 (10:00) 5-K.Collins pass short right to 28-C.Johnson to HOU 16 for 1 yard (35-J.Reeves, 52-X.Adibi).

1-10-TEN 25 (10:54) 28-C.Johnson right tackle to TEN 21 for -4 yards (66-Deljuan Robinson).

2-14-TEN 21 (10:17) 5-K.Collins pass short middle to 28-C.Johnson to TEN 22 for 1 yard (52-X.Adibi, 66-Deljuan Robinson).

1-10-TEN 20 (7:39) 28-C.Johnson right end pushed ob at TEN 20 for no gain (26-E.Wilson).

1-10-HOU 48 (7:08) 28-C.Johnson up the middle to HOU 49 for -1 yards (57-K.Bentley).

2-1-TEN 45 (12:58) 28-C.Johnson up the middle to TEN 45 for no gain (99-T.Johnson).

So if we chalk this up to a good (not great) running team being shut down by in inferior defense having a great day, how does that make you feel about this team over the next two weeks and into the first round of the playoffs. This team has to figure out how to put points on the board. The receiving game has been inconsistent, dropping too many balls, even when Collins is on. How will they compete the next two weeks against the best defense in the NFL and then a very potent offense. They should be able to run on Indy; as a matter of fact I think they will need to beat Indy to establish some positive momentum going into their first round bye week. They may not need to win the last (2) game(s) to gain a seeding advantage but this is a team without playoff experience that could be going into the playoffs losing 4 of 6 games. Victories over the Lions and Cleveland aren't ego boosters.

1-10-HOU 15 (10:36) 28-C.Johnson right tackle to HOU 17 for -2 yards (98-A.Weaver).2-12-HOU 17 (10:00) 5-K.Collins pass short right to 28-C.Johnson to HOU 16 for 1 yard (35-J.Reeves, 52-X.Adibi).1-10-TEN 25 (10:54) 28-C.Johnson right tackle to TEN 21 for -4 yards (66-Deljuan Robinson).2-14-TEN 21 (10:17) 5-K.Collins pass short middle to 28-C.Johnson to TEN 22 for 1 yard (52-X.Adibi, 66-Deljuan Robinson).1-10-TEN 20 (7:39) 28-C.Johnson right end pushed ob at TEN 20 for no gain (26-E.Wilson).1-10-HOU 48 (7:08) 28-C.Johnson up the middle to HOU 49 for -1 yards (57-K.Bentley).2-1-TEN 45 (12:58) 28-C.Johnson up the middle to TEN 45 for no gain (99-T.Johnson). So if we chalk this up to a good (not great) running team being shut down by in inferior defense having a great day, how does that make you feel about this team over the next two weeks and into the first round of the playoffs. This team has to figure out how to put points on the board. The receiving game has been inconsistent, dropping too many balls, even when Collins is on. How will they compete the next two weeks against the best defense in the NFL and then a very potent offense. They should be able to run on Indy; as a matter of fact I think they will need to beat Indy to establish some positive momentum going into their first round bye week. They may not need to win the last (2) game(s) to gain a seeding advantage but this is a team without playoff experience that could be going into the playoffs losing 4 of 6 games. Victories over the Lions and Cleveland aren't ego boosters.
I am not a Titans fan. I am a recovering Oilers fan who despises that team and that owner with every cell in my body so I would love to see them implode and choke their first playoff game. However, if I were a Titans fan, I wouldn't worry much about Collins or the running game as much as I'd worry about playing the next two games without Haynesworth and Vandenbosch.

Sorry you had to watch that in person, but you didn't convince me that it was the best decision to only give CJ 2 carries the entire 4th quarter when the 2 carries he had were very effective. Collins wasn't hitting the broad side of a barn but CJ had a 13yd run and a 5yd run. Sure, keep going to what doesn't work. :lol: Teams lose like this all the time. They are struggling with the run so they totally abandon it even when down only 1 score. This infrequently wins games unless you have a QB that is lights out. Suffice to say Collins was not that guy on sunday.
You are being willfully obtuse. If you're a subscriber, you really should read the game recap.

Users who are viewing this thread