What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (3 Viewers)

roger craig is simply money......he seems like a guy that has a couple of bodies stuffed in the trunk of his car, but i have never seen this guy lose.

he bets aggressively. understands how to find DDs. i have supreme confidence he wins the decades tourney.
I agree with you about him. He's my favorite player of all time. But he won't win. When it's the best against the best, it comes down to buzzing speed. In his two Battle of the Decades games thus far, Roger's buzzer has shown to be his weakness. He was killed on the buzzer by 3 of the 4 opponents. He tried to ring in on the first 13 regular clues yesterday but only got in on three, two that the others didn't try to ring in on and one beating the woman. He has no chance against Brad Rutter, who is GOAT on the buzzer and has at least equal knowledge. And no chance against Jennings for the same reason. I'm hoping he makes the final vs Rutter and Jennings, but if he does I fear he gets locked out.
jennings is in this? i havent seem him, just rutter.
Yes he was on a few weeks ago and won.

There's ####### strategy to this???

Also, what makes one 'good on the buzzer'?
The buzzer is the single most important aspect of the game. Mastering the buzzer almost guarantees victory.

The only reason "Watson" beat humans in the game is because it was plugged into the buzzer delay system itself and could always ring in first and never mis-time the trigger.

The buzzer is the single most important aspect of the game. Mastering the buzzer almost guarantees victory.

The only reason "Watson" beat humans in the game is because it was plugged into the buzzer delay system itself and could always ring in first and never mis-time the trigger.
Ok. But what's the strategy? Do you need to time it off a cue? Are you locked out if you buzz to early or too many times?

Ok. But what's the strategy? Do you need to time it off a cue? Are you locked out if you buzz to early or too many times?
Alex reads the clue aloud. At the very instant he's done speaking the last syllable, a person triggers the system to allow people to buzz in. There's an element of human error there. Some randomness and variance. It's like when a basketball team has to get off a shot in 1.3 seconds and the timekeeper has to start the clock just as the inbounds pass touches a hand. If you time it just right, you'll push the button just a nanosecond after the person has allowed you to buzz in, but you have to be 'in the zone' and in sync with the guy who's triggering it. It's not a producer, IIRC, I think it's just a PA, basically some 22-year-old kid one step up from the interns.

If you miss and buzz early, you're locked out for at least 1 second. It might be 1.5 or 2.0 seconds, not sure. But it hurts. It's basically giving up control to the other players.

When the PA hits the button to open up the buzzers, lights come on at the sides of the board to tell players it's time to ring in. If you actually wait to see the light and register it in your vision, it's too late.

"Watson" had the edge because his trigger was hard-wired into the system. As soon as the button was pushed to allow the players to ring in, it got a signal (sent at the speed of light) to his programming that said "if you know the answer, ring in", and it could obviously respond as fast as his processor could process it and send the signal back (at the speed of light). He was impossible to beat off the buzzer.

The best players scan the entire clue as soon as the screen comes up. Hit the big words and search their minds for the answer. Decide on their guess. All before Alex is done reading. Then, they intensely focus on the last 2-3 words of the clue and wait for Alex to get there, read along, and try to time the cadence along with the PA hitting the button. Like how a drag racer will time the 3-2-1-go lights.

If you actually wait to hear the whole clue, you'll never win a game.

Ringing in early gets you a .25 second lock-out IIRC. Ken Jennings, obviously, was a master at ringing in.

And the whole thing about Watson having an unfair advantage is 100% true

Brad v Ken will be epic. I'm pretty excited about this. Rutter is a freaking wiz. He might hold the longest winning streak if the rules allowed.

We get to see Pam Mueller tonight :wub:

Brad v Ken will be epic. I'm pretty excited about this. Rutter is a freaking wiz. He might hold the longest winning streak if the rules allowed.

We get to see Pam Mueller tonight :wub:
Please let Colby win tonight so he can get destroyed by those 2 in the final.

Setting up to another classic for sure,I don't think Ken has much for Brad but you never know.

Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter and Roger Craig are the 3 finalists. The 2 day, $1 million tourney starts tomorrow, Thursday May 16th.

Jennings holds the record for the most consecutive wins (74, and is the 2nd highest money winner).

Rutter is the all time Jeopardy money winner ($3+ million), has never lost a match and has won 3 tournaments of champions.

Craig holds the record for the most money won in a single game ($77k, which broke Jennings' record of $75k).

Should be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have watched all of the seasons and Jennings and Rutter are the best I've seen. Should be a great final.

Brad Rutter is the GOAT. He is going to crush these two pretenders.
I agree that Brad Rutter is the GOAT and predict he will win, but come on calling Ken Jennings and Roger Craig pretenders. These are the three guys everyone thought would be in the final when this tournament started, and they didn't disappoint. I don't think Roger has a chance, but I certainly wouldn't count Ken out. If Brad wins, he cements his GOAT status. If Ken wins, he moves into co-GOAT status with Brad.

Ringing in early gets you a .25 second lock-out IIRC. Ken Jennings, obviously, was a master at ringing in.

It is not.

http://www.designdimension.com/projects/ibm-watson-jeopardy-challenge

Have some inside knowledge about this.

If it remember correctly the lock out/when it could ring in was longer for Watson than the players.
When would Watson ever hit a lock out if it would never ring in early?

http://www.wired.com/2011/02/ibm-watson-speed/

Wired.com: How does Watson actually ring its buzzer?

[IBM Watson researcher Eric] Brown: Watson has a mechanical button-presser. It uses the same signaling device [the button] that the human competitors use in the game. Once Watson has decided that it wants to ring in because it has found an answer with a high-enough confidence, and it receives the signal that the buzzers are open and you can ring in, it then has to trigger the mechanical button presser and mechanically press the button.
To reiterate, Watson got signaled that it was OK to ring in, and only then would it trigger the button presser. So what if it was physically pushing a button electromechanically? It's still faster and more accurate than a human could do. Instant reflex to the signal.

The only way a human could "beat" Watson to the buzzer, if both a human and Watson knew they wanted to ring in, was for a human to start pressing down earlier than he was allowed to, and hoping by the time the button depressed that the OK signal had been sent. That's the only way to beat something that can ring in with zero reaction delay to the OK signal. Would have to anticipate the OK sign.

It is not.

http://www.designdimension.com/projects/ibm-watson-jeopardy-challenge

Have some inside knowledge about this.

If it remember correctly the lock out/when it could ring in was longer for Watson than the players.
When would Watson ever hit a lock out if it would never ring in early?

http://www.wired.com/2011/02/ibm-watson-speed/

Wired.com: How does Watson actually ring its buzzer?

[IBM Watson researcher Eric] Brown: Watson has a mechanical button-presser. It uses the same signaling device [the button] that the human competitors use in the game. Once Watson has decided that it wants to ring in because it has found an answer with a high-enough confidence, and it receives the signal that the buzzers are open and you can ring in, it then has to trigger the mechanical button presser and mechanically press the button.
To reiterate, Watson got signaled that it was OK to ring in, and only then would it trigger the button presser. So what if it was physically pushing a button electromechanically? It's still faster and more accurate than a human could do. Instant reflex to the signal.

The only way a human could "beat" Watson to the buzzer, if both a human and Watson knew they wanted to ring in, was for a human to start pressing down earlier than he was allowed to, and hoping by the time the button depressed that the OK signal had been sent. That's the only way to beat something that can ring in with zero reaction delay to the OK signal. Would have to anticipate the OK sign.
I could be wrong but I think it was locked out longer than the humans which means programed not to hit the button before (just a guess .5 or second). That still could be an advantage though because Watson will always hit the button at the exact moment it can with no doubt.

Crushed! Just like I said!

Kidding, of course. These three were very evenly matched. Great final. Pretty amazing that Brad is totally undefeated still, going through three super-tournaments.

Arthur in the finals instead of Roger would have made it for me. Not sure he'd win but pretty sure he'd piss Ken/Brad off and possibly throw them off.

Very surprised KJ blew tonight's final. It was his for the taking. And he blew the easy half of the question IMO.

Was kinda shocked to hear that Julia was without a job,doubt that will last long given her performance.

She has gotten lucky a few times but her overall knowledge is very good as her win streak now shows.

I think the change to unlimited wins ruins the show. I am so sick of Julia winning every game and she's basically a pleasant, likable person. I think they should limit wins to about 10 and let them win more $ in the annual Tournament of Champions.

I think the change to unlimited wins ruins the show. I am so sick of Julia winning every game and she's basically a pleasant, likable person. I think they should limit wins to about 10 and let them win more $ in the annual Tournament of Champions.
I hope she wins about 25 more games.

The recent competition has been quite lacking.
What you have to keep in mind about these contestants that win 10,15, 20+ games...

The more games they play the better they get. Most of it has to do with ringing in. The returning champ has had a ton of practice/experience using the signaling device. The other two new contestants are basically rookies. It is going to get harder and harder for the other contestants to take down someone who has played the game so many times.

They should bring back past titans of Jeopardy as coolers. It could be like boss battles in video games.

You win 10 straight, you get Roger Craig in your 11th game. 20 in a row, you have to face Jennings. 30 straight, Rutter shows up to hand you your buttocks. God forbid you get through all of them and get to 50 wins... they bring in Tanner F'n Boyle to do the Bristol Stomp all over your ##### ###.

They should bring back past titans of Jeopardy as coolers. It could be like boss battles in video games.

You win 10 straight, you get Roger Craig in your 11th game. 20 in a row, you have to face Jennings. 30 straight, Rutter shows up to hand you your buttocks. God forbid you get through all of them and get to 50 wins... they bring in Tanner F'n Boyle to do the Bristol Stomp all over your ##### ###.
More like you get Tanner as a doormat in episode 1, but due to a questionable technicality on a poorly-worded clue, he comes storming back 50 episodes later with the full force of a bunch of internet nerds behind him.

More like you get Tanner as a doormat in episode 1, but due to a questionable technicality on a poorly-worded clue, he comes storming back 50 episodes later with the full force of a bunch of internet nerds behind him.
As he is the only Jeopardy champion to have ever written my username in a kid's HS yearbook, virtually guaranteeing that said kid will be confused by it for the rest of his/her life, he is automatically the greatest Jeopardy champion ever. I will not argue this.

I think it would be difficult for them to do this in practice because of the taping schedule.

I seriously like the boss battles idea, though. It doesn't happen that often, I'm sure they could give a lot of past champions an appearance fee to show up once or twice a year when someone goes on a long streak. Would drive ratings way up for those episodes too.

I think it would be difficult for them to do this in practice because of the taping schedule.
I would think they could draw from a fairly large pool of past champs for the 10-match battle. Not many people go to 20 or 30 (and fewer would if you had to face a past legend at 10 and/or 15 wins), you could have Craig as the 20-win boss, Jennings at 30, and Rutter at 40. Almost no one would make it far enough to necessitate those guys coming in, but I do see your point. It would be pretty cool, though.

They could just roll in Watson whenever, though. It's like when you get 15 wins in a row on Madden NFL and the Playstation pulls out all the stops to keep you from the perfect season, and Elvis Grbac throws for 520 yards in a game.

I would think they could draw from a fairly large pool of past champs for the 10-match battle. Not many people go to 20 or 30 (and fewer would if you had to face a past legend at 10 and/or 15 wins), you could have Craig as the 20-win boss, Jennings at 30, and Rutter at 40. Almost no one would make it far enough to necessitate those guys coming in, but I do see your point. It would be pretty cool, though.
That would be great if they could pull this off somehow. I like the "boss" idea.

Watching Julia right now destroying the competition as usual. Does anyone else get the sense that she makes Trebek sick to his stomach?

Users who are viewing this thread