What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jermaine Kearse WR Seattle. (1 Viewer)

Shawn

Footballguy
This kid is really shining in the absense of Percy Harvin. He had 2 TDs in last night's preseason, game. 1 was on a beautiful pass from Russell Wilson, the other was on a return . I think he ran it 102yards if my memory is working alright. He is doing all the right things to be noticed by Pete Carroll. What do you guys think? Is there anything to see here?

He's having an awesome pre-season for sure, and I think the return was for 107yds. :thumbup:

With that being said...for fantasy purposes there is nothing to see here. He probably locked himself into a roster spot after last night, but not much more than that. As far as position goes he will be the 4th or 5th WR for depth purposes.

Interesting position battle between Kearse and Stephen Williams for sure. Williams has looked good as well, but he's a different type of WR. Seems to me that Williams would be more suited for SIdney Rice's spot...

One thing is certain, Harper is a long ways away from playing time...

In dynasty leagues, there's definitely something to see. In fact I just bid on him in two dynasty leagues. He has favorable metrics from his pro day and he's making the most of his opportunities. I was reading something where he was making Brandon Browner look silly in practice and that Kearse loves going H2H against him and Sherman. Seems like a guy to keep an eye on for sure and if you have a dev roster, definitely worth a stash.

for fantasy purposes there is nothing to see here. He probably locked himself into a roster spot after last night, but not much more than that. As far as position goes he will be the 4th or 5th WR for depth purposes.
:goodposting:

I have to agree with this assessment. If Harvin returns Kearse won't be more than WR5 on this team.

1 was on a beautiful pass from Russell Wilson...
I'm not saying the pass wasn't beautiful, but the route that Kearse ran was way better. He had the hips of the CB completely turned the wrong way when he made his break.

At this point it seems likely that Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Harper, and Kearse all make the final roster. Would they carry 6 WRs and keep Williams as well?

When Harvin returns, if they have carried 6 WRs, he would presumably bump one of those guys... if they have carried only 5 WRs, would he bump one, or would they move to carrying 6 WRs? I realize this will be somewhat dependent on injuries and other needs. But any insight from what they have done in past seasons?

do SEA homers think rice AND tate will be retained in 2014?

rice sort of like miles austin, could be vulnerable, paid like WR1, won't be when harvin returns, and has been hurt a lot in recent years...

heard recently on broadcast seahawks one of just two teams with so much money invested in top two WRs...

i'm guessing they keep at least ONE? speculation was it could be rice, despite expense... if he can stay healthy (tate has been more resilient?), he provides better complementary weapon to harvin with height?

if one of them is gone next year, kearse could be closer to relevance depending on his standing vs. baldwin...

does kearse have talent to pass baldwin on depth chart if he makes roster?

i take it past performance doesn't get a lot of good will with carroll, as his leitmotif (recurring theme) is competition...

do SEA homers think rice AND tate will be retained in 2014?
I have my doubts.

rice sort of like miles austin, could be vulnerable, paid like WR1, won't be when harvin returns, and has been hurt a lot in recent years...

heard recently on broadcast seahawks one of just two teams with so much money invested in top two WRs...
For the next two years they can get away with it. They have several star players still in their rookie contracts like Sherman, Wilson, Wagner, etc.

i'm guessing they keep at least ONE? speculation was it could be rice, despite expense... if he can stay healthy (tate has been more resilient?), he provides better complementary weapon to harvin with height?

if one of them is gone next year, kearse could be closer to relevance depending on his standing vs. baldwin...

does kearse have talent to pass baldwin on depth chart if he makes roster?
I doubt it, but only because they play different spots. Tate lines up as the split end way more often while Baldwin works the slot. Kearse has played a lot more SE while in Seattle and has the profile of more of an outside guy.

i take it past performance doesn't get a lot of good will with carroll, as his leitmotif (recurring theme) is competition...
So true. I had doubts when they brought in Carroll and he preached his "competition" mantra over and over, but over time he's remained true to his word. Player well or get benched. Play better and you'll see the field. I've lost count of the number of guys that have been benched, cut, promoted, etc.

I doubt it, but only because they play different spots. Tate lines up as the split end way more often while Baldwin works the slot. Kearse has played a lot more SE while in Seattle and has the profile of more of an outside guy.
Do you see Kearse as Tate's replacement next year?

I think Tate is playing for a contract, but that decision is so far into the future that we can't have any idea what the Seattle WR position group is going to look like because of the questionable health of Rice and Harvin.

I will say this about Tate. He's a singlular talent in a few ways. He runs with short choppy steps giving him great balance like a RB. He makes guys miss way more than you would expect. He also does a good job on jump balls down the sidelines. He's not so tall, but when the ball's in the air he fights for it (Don't bring this up around Green Bay fans). I've watched Kearse since his freshman year at UW. I can't say he separates himself in any special way like Tate does, but Kearse works hard at his craft. His route running is solid. He catches the ball. He's a team guy that will do what he's asked on special teams.

No, I can't say I believe that Kearse is a replacement for Tate. I guess it could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Agree Tate is playing for a contract. Assuming Harvin comes back with no apparent long term effects, I expect Seattle to release (likely) or trade (unlikely) Rice after this season, which will save $7.3M on the 2014 cap. That would enable them to resign Tate if he plays well enough to justify that.

If Tate improves on what he did last year I sincerely doubt Seattle retains him. Someone will be willing to pay much more than what Seattle is. There is the possibility they decide to get rid of Rice and keep Tate I guess, but I'm doubtful on that.

I think Tate is playing for a contract, but that decision is so far into the future that we can't have any idea what the Seattle WR position group is going to look like because of the questionable health of Rice and Harvin.

I will say this about Tate. He's a singlular talent in a few ways. He runs with short choppy steps giving him great balance like a RB. He makes guys miss way more than you would expect. He also does a good job on jump balls down the sidelines. He's not so tall, but when the ball's in the air he fights for it (Don't bring this up around Green Bay fans). I've watched Kearse since his freshman year at UW. I can't say he separates himself in any special way like Tate does, but Kearse works hard at his craft. His route running is solid. He catches the ball. He's a team guy that will do what he's asked on special teams.

No, I can't say I believe that Kearse is a replacement for Tate. I guess it could happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I wouldn't have bet on it, but I might have been wrong. The way things are sizing up so far Kearse will certainly be given an opportunity to win Tate's job.

I wouldn't have bet on it, but I might have been wrong. The way things are sizing up so far Kearse will certainly be given an opportunity to win Tate's job.
They will draft someone.

They will draft someone.
And Kearse will outplay them.

They will draft someone.
And Kearse will outplay them.
Unless they go WR in the 1st I like Kearse's chances.

So what is the update with this kid? I personally believe Wilson is going to take the next step, from a stat perspective, and start putting up top 5 fantasy QB numbers.

Is Kearse the real deal?

So what is the update with this kid? I personally believe Wilson is going to take the next step, from a stat perspective, and start putting up top 5 fantasy QB numbers.

Is Kearse the real deal?
I'm starting him in a few leagues, looks like Wilson has extra confidence in him. Hoping for a TD tonight. Would be happy with 6 / 70 yards though.

I'm wondering if I should drop James jones or Brian quick to pick up kearse before tonight's game. But them I think "James jones, Brian quick, ketamine kearse...what's the difference? They're all same tier"

He looked good in the SB and pre-season, but I think the real benefit of Harvin playing other than himself, is Willson/Miller. The middle has been open since Harvin got on the field.

I appreciate the responses as I am thinking about picking him up as well.

Is he being used as the legitimate #2 receiving threat on the team or do we think it will be the Percy Harvin show (as long as he is on the field)? Wilson loves Baldwin as his safety net so while he doesn't seem like a big play fantasy guy (looks like Bobby Engram 2.0 to me) he still eats into targets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is he being used as the legitimate #2 receiving threat on the team or do we think it will be the Percy Harvin show (as long as he is on the field)? Wilson loves Baldwin as his safety net so while he doesn't seem like a big play fantasy guy (looks like Bobby Engram 2.0 to me) he still eats into targets.
Kearse is more athletic than Baldwin. He can do more with less. From what I've seen in preseason, Harvin doesn't play the role of a traditional #1 receiver.

In this offense, that's Kearse. Russell Wilson knows what his weapons are capable of.

Harvin in space.

Kearse downfield.

Kearse is more athletic than Baldwin. He can do more with less. From what I've seen in preseason, Harvin doesn't play the role of a traditional #1 receiver.

In this offense, that's Kearse. Russell Wilson knows what his weapons are capable of.

Harvin in space.

Kearse downfield.
Thanks Em.

I really haven't seen much of the Seattle 1s in preseason, was Kearse heavily targeted with the #1 offense? Is he starting or coming off the bench?

I'm on board. Picked him up tonight 10 min before game time. Dropped James jones for him. Choochoo!!

Fantasy implications of Harvin trade:

http://rotoexperts.com/82597/harvin-trade-creates-opportunity-kearse/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Harvin Trade Creates Opportunity For Kearse

{...} What the Harvin departure means Fantasy wise is that Jermaine Kearse becomes a very appealing pickup for depth at WR. He is more of the pure downfield threat that Seahawk followers and Fantasy players were hoping to see Harvin become, but never did. Kearse already has a fine rapport with Russell Wilson and will now get opportunities to make more significant plays. Kearse has a knack for timely plays and TD catches in important situations, and I recommend him as a WR5 add with some upside to become a darkhorse contributor to your Fantasy team.

Sneaky start alert.

Not sure who Kearse will be matched up with. Either the rookie Hayden, who just came off the PUP and his first game and only had 5 snaps. or it could be the slow aging Carlos Rogers. Most people will say beastmode will have a field day, but the Raider rush defense has improved a lot over the past couple of games. No one having any success running to Mack's side. I think Seattle will pick the easier route via the air. Why not Kearse? I see a big day ahead for him.

With Richardson tearing his ACL it looks guaranteed that the Seahawks will keep Kearse as a RFA.

I thought he'd be far better and really improve with Harvin gone. All in all he didn't. I assume this sends them looking for another WR in free agency

I thought he'd be far better and really improve with Harvin gone. All in all he didn't. I assume this sends them looking for another WR in free agency
When you say improve, are you referring only to fantasy production? Or play on the field?

As a Seahawk homer I'm happy with his play on the field. He's made many catches through the second half of the season that I didn't expect to see. In particular the one-handed over the shoulder deep ball this past week was a thing of beauty. Playing in the Seattle offense the WRs have to know their chances are going to be limited. The Seattle brain trust would prefer to not throw the ball at all. The more they can steam roll teams the better. Keeps their defense rested on the sideline and controls tempo.

Overall, if I had known this was the season we were going to get out of Kearse back in September I would have been thrilled.

Article describing the mentality that Seattle WRs need to have:

Seattle receivers understand role in Seahawks offense

RENTON, Wash. (AP) -- There is a certain humility that must come with choosing to be a pass catcher for the Seattle Seahawks.

Seattle's offensive structure leaves so few opportunities for its wide receivers and tight ends to stand out that they often get panned for not bringing a dynamic element to the Seahawks' passing game.

But give them the opportunity to shine - as they did in Seattle's 31-17 win over Carolina in the NFC divisional playoff game on Saturday - and that group of Seahawks can be on par with other receiving units around the league.
.<snip>

When you say improve, are you referring only to fantasy production? Or play on the field?

As a Seahawk homer I'm happy with his play on the field. He's made many catches through the second half of the season that I didn't expect to see. In particular the one-handed over the shoulder deep ball this past week was a thing of beauty. Playing in the Seattle offense the WRs have to know their chances are going to be limited. The Seattle brain trust would prefer to not throw the ball at all. The more they can steam roll teams the better. Keeps their defense rested on the sideline and controls tempo.

Overall, if I had known this was the season we were going to get out of Kearse back in September I would have been thrilled.
yeah, I agree. I think it's just the mentality out there that in order to be a considered a productive WR you have to meet some minimal criteria of stats - which might be the case if you're looking to put him in your fantasy lineup, but not necessarily in real life football. He does everything they need him to do and that is asked of him in this offense.

Kearse belongs in the conversation - there were 14 players with 6+ receptions & 75 yards, all premium names. Kearse was among them.

Users who are viewing this thread