What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jet trade Mawae? draft Cutler? (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Two people with knowledge of the Jets' strategy said the team is open to exploring trade possibilities for Mawae, who is coming off triceps surgery and is due to count $4.5 million on the cap.

**snip**

Several people familiar with the Jets' thinking said the team has pulled back on its earlier pursuit of a veteran quarterback who would require a multiyear commitment and instead is focusing on drafting a quarterback in the first round. The belief in league circles is that Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum are targeting Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler with the fourth overall pick.

Such a move would coincide with signing a second-tier veteran -- Aaron Brooks, Jon Kitna, Brian Griese and Sage Rosenfels are possibilities -- and almost certainly would spell the end of Pennington's career as a Jet. It's one of numerous scenarios the team is contemplating.

"The only reason you don't cut Pennington is because you can't afford to," one of the people familiar with the Jets' plan said. "If you're going to draft Cutler, the Chad Pennington era is over."

Releasing Pennington before March 3 would cost $12 million on the salary cap but would save owner Woody Johnson the $3-million roster bonus Pennington is due to receive that day. The two sides are trying to find a middle ground and will meet later this week at the Indianapolis scouting combine.

**snip**

They're trying to keep all their options open, having engaged in discussions about acquiring Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey, for example.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...ports-headlines

Like I just posted in the Jets thread...

If nothing else, It's of the Jets best interest to at least keep the Cutler hype as high as possible..... Keep the "leaks" coming.....

The name of the game for the Jets will be stockpiling picks and players and dropping down if / when they can.

I don't know/understand what the offseason rules are here with Memphis making those "official" team threads. The two stories combined make for an interesting scenario IMO so I thought I'd post it as it's own thread.

I don't know/understand what the offseason rules are here with Memphis making those "official" team threads. The two stories combined make for an interesting scenario IMO so I thought I'd post it as it's own thread.
I wasn't complaining..... Just sayin'.

I wasn't complaining..... Just sayin'.
NP at all, really though I have no clue and wish the mods would let us know their thoughts

Two people with knowledge of the Jets' strategy said the team is open to exploring trade possibilities for Mawae, who is coming off triceps surgery and is due to count $4.5 million on the cap.

**snip**

Several people familiar with the Jets' thinking said the team has pulled back on its earlier pursuit of a veteran quarterback who would require a multiyear commitment and instead is focusing on drafting a quarterback in the first round. The belief in league circles is that Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum are targeting Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler with the fourth overall pick.

Such a move would coincide with signing a second-tier veteran -- Aaron Brooks, Jon Kitna, Brian Griese and Sage Rosenfels are possibilities -- and almost certainly would spell the end of Pennington's career as a Jet. It's one of numerous scenarios the team is contemplating.

"The only reason you don't cut Pennington is because you can't afford to," one of the people familiar with the Jets' plan said. "If you're going to draft Cutler, the Chad Pennington era is over."

Releasing Pennington before March 3 would cost $12 million on the salary cap but would save owner Woody Johnson the $3-million roster bonus Pennington is due to receive that day. The two sides are trying to find a middle ground and will meet later this week at the Indianapolis scouting combine.

**snip**

They're trying to keep all their options open, having engaged in discussions about acquiring Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey, for example.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...ports-headlines
Why in the hell would the J. E. T. S. draft this guy at #4 when they could drop down to 7th or 8th and still get him while picking up another pick and saving money on Cutlers contract (#4 money is a lot more than #7 or #8 money)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why in the hell would the J. E. T. S. draft this guy at #4 when they could drop down to 7th or 8th and still get him while picking up another pick and saving money on Cutlers contract (#4 money is a lot more than #7 or #8 money)
see 2nd post, I think it's that they'd take D'Brick with first pick they have and Cutler with traded pick they get for Abe.

see 2nd post, I think it's that they'd take D'Brick with first pick they have and Cutler with traded pick they get for Abe.
Must of over looked that post, my bad.if they ended up with Brick and Cutler look out for the J.E.T.S. within the next couple of years

I know it makes logical sense, but it takes two to tango. Why would the 49ers or Bills trade up with the Jets? Every year people talk about 'trading down' as if it is easy to do or teams are chomping at the bit to trade up. Now if the Jets are willing to offer John Abraham to the 49ers or Bills to trade spots, it just might happen. :P

I think people are playing far, FAR too much Madden.
:D
In all fairness the article says ' If they can position themselves" - It doesn't really say that they can trade Abe for a draft pick high enough to get Cutler or Ferguson....The Jets will have a good number of draft picks as well as Abe and moving down from 4....

Either way, I agree with the sentiment that they will have to pick between Ferguson and Cutler and then fill the other spot later on, possibly in round 1...

Of course their 2nd round pick is high so, they could either move up from their using that pick as a chip or use that pick to take an OL.

No..... It's the fact that talking UP Cutler at this point could only help them and the value at 4 when they want to trade down.

No..... It's the fact that talking UP Cutler at this point could only help them and the value at 4 when they want to trade down.
well true but if they don't truly show the interest in Cutler his value won't change so it's one of those "can't have one without the other" type scenarios. Know what I mean?

well true but if they don't truly show the interest in Cutler his value won't change so it's one of those "can't have one without the other" type scenarios. Know what I mean?
But how can you tell if they TRULY show interest - No matter what they are going to go through the motions and study the guy- They were all over him at the Sr. Bowl... Cutler's stock has risen since the Sr. Bowl.. Why? Cuz every team is prodding the guy and talking him up..... Before the game he was looked at as a mid round pick - Now they say aorun 10... and now the Jets are adding fuel to the fire at 4...

If nothing else, It's of the Jets best interest to at least keep the Cutler hype as high as possible..... Keep the "leaks" coming.....

The name of the game for the Jets will be stockpiling picks and players and dropping down if / when they can.
:goodposting:

I didn't know teams were lining up at the Jets front door and offering their 1st round draft pick for a player the Jets just franchised and is due to make something in the 8 million per year range in 2006.

I didn't know teams were lining up at the Jets front door and offering their 1st round draft pick for a player the Jets just franchised and is due to make something in the 8 million per year range in 2006.
I must have missed the post where someone said teams were lining up at their door to offer a 1st. Could you point that out to me please?

I must have missed the post where someone said teams were lining up at their door to offer a 1st. Could you point that out to me please?
Let me know if you need me to make the text bolder or bigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be noted that even though the Jets would have to pay JA 8.3 million with the franchise tag, if he were to be traded his new contract would likely be less than that for whatever team he ended up going to. He wants a multi year deal, but I don't think he expects 8.3 million a year

Can somebody explain to me why the perception is Abraham is worth a 1st round pick?
I see more people laughing at the prospect than actually saying it....The article said the Jets could Possibly manuever the draft in such a way to get a QB and a OT not that Abe would bring in a high 1st round pick alone.... I'd think that Abe plus the Jets high 2nd round pick could give them a late 1st round pick, no?

That said - What do you say he's worth... Jets gave a 2nd round pick for McCareins - Fins gave a 2nd rounder for Feeley.... Any other examples....

same newspaper

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...l=ny-jets-print

This article hints the Jets franchised Abraham in order to trade him for a first round pick and that they'd like Cutler and D'Brick with the two picks they'd then have.
I make it a habit not to try to talk football with Jet fans. It's pretty much a train wreck each time.YOUR post here sugests the Jets want a 1st rd pick for Abe? NO? stay with me here Bri.
:rolleyes: Is Bri a Jets fan? Read the article - Also not written by a Jets fan.

I make it a habit not to try to talk football with Jet fans. It's pretty much a train wreck each time.
that's your prerogative but yet you're posting in this thread NOT contributing to the discussion, just postin' with a hook and some worms
YOUR post here sugests the Jets want a 1st rd pick for Abe? NO? stay with me here Bri.
it doesn't suggest teams are lining up at the door, nor is it my viewpoint but the viewpoint of an author at NewsdayCan we put the tacklebox away now please?

Can somebody explain to me why the perception is Abraham is worth a 1st round pick?
I see more people laughing at the prospect than actually saying it....The article said the Jets could Possibly manuever the draft in such a way to get a QB and a OT not that Abe would bring in a high 1st round pick alone.... I'd think that Abe plus the Jets high 2nd round pick could give them a late 1st round pick, no?

That said - What do you say he's worth... Jets gave a 2nd round pick for McCareins - Fins gave a 2nd rounder for Feeley.... Any other examples....
If your a Jets fan PRAY the new regime isn't as stupid as Wannstadt/Spielman and the Jets old GM in refernece to those deals you just mentioned.If a team can trade a 1st rd pick for Doug Jolley I guess anything can happen.

If your a Jets fan PRAY the new regime isn't as stupid as Wannstadt/Spielman and the Jets old GM in refernece to those deals you just mentioned.If a team can trade a 1st rd pick for Doug Jolley I guess anything can happen.
Please tell us what pick the Jets gave up for Jolley.research it a little and come back to us and let us know how the Jolley straight up for a 1st round pick went..... No wonder you can't grasp the concept of the Jets 'MANUEVERING" to get in the 1st round using Abe as a Chip....

You really think the Jets traded a 1st round pick for Jolley straight up?

OK. Since I'm not contributing I'll leave the Jet fans alone.

I will say this though . . . if they don't address their Oline problems very early in the draft it won't matter who their QB will be. He'll get killed just like last years line was directly responsible for knocking out 3 starting QB's

I think they overpaid for McCareins and IIRC for Jolley last year(wasn't he traded for a 1st?).I'm not sure if that affects the value of Abe in a trade but it may. Do teams ignore that as an "oops" and not use them to gauge trade value? Do teams think the Jets can be had in a trade?

He's a far better NFL player than McCareins so if McCareins was worth a second then I can see the logic that he's worth a 1st. I'm just not sure that's how it works.

Because he is very talented when on the field. And some team that is close and feels a disruptive DE gets them over the top would certainly like to have him over a rookie.I wouldn't pay a 1st rdr, but I'm not a GM.

That said - What do you say he's worth... Jets gave a 2nd round pick for McCareins - Fins gave a 2nd rounder for Feeley....  Any other examples....
I think they overpaid for McCareins and IIRC for Jolley last year(wasn't he traded for a 1st?).I'm not sure if that affects the value of Abe in a trade but it may. Do teams ignore that as an "oops" and not use them to gauge trade value? Do teams think the Jets can be had in a trade?

He's a far better NFL player than McCareins so if McCareins was worth a second then I can see the logic that he's worth a 1st. I'm just not sure that's how it works.
The Jets moved DOWN from pick 26 to pick 47 - 19 spots in the Jolley deal and also got two 6th rounders....Amazing people still say the Jets traded Jolley for a 1st round pick with out adding the picks in return.

The Jets still wound up with Justin Miller who many had them pegged to take at 26....

So instead of a draft that netted Miller, and Nugent.. they wound up with Miller, Jolley and Nugent....

It wasn't THAT bad of a trade - Not great but, not the joke some peopel make it out to be... Personally I wouldn't have taken Nugent but, that has nothing to do with the actual trade.

:tfp:

there are a lot of delusional jets fans out there if they believe that abraham is going to help them land reggie bush (another thread) or somehow put them in position to acquire BOTH d'brick and cutler. abe's expected contract isn't going to land the jets more than a bottom half of the 2nd round selection and moving up to 1.01 will take the 1.04, abe, and a 2nd

at this point the jets can't count on penny, have an unproven head coach, talent that doesn't really fit their new scheme, play in a difficult division, have a lot of media scrutiny, and unrealistic fans. this isn't going to go well for the jets or their fans this season (see smilie above)

Last edited:
:tfp: there are a lot of delusional jets fans out there if they believe that abraham is going to help them land reggie bush (another thread) or somehow put them in position to acquire BOTH d'brick and cutler.
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME...... :lmao: For starters.... Who would want Reggie Bush given the Jets situation...2nd this thread was started by a Pats fan.. 3rd The article was mis-quoted and was also NOT a Jets fan...

what would old Mawae be worth?

I would think the Bills, Cards, Texans(whichever teams have made it their offseason purpose to redo their OL) might be interested for his leadership and positive influence on young linemen.

at this point the jets can't count on penny, have an unproven head coach, talent that doesn't really fit their new scheme, play in a difficult division, have a lot of media scrutiny, and unrealistic fans. this isn't going to go well for the jets or their fans this season (see smilie above)
Hey... I never loved Penny

Hated Herm /Bradway

Feel we now have a coach with some semblance of Football knowledge who could adapt the systems around the talent as opposed to the last cheerleader "Play to win the Game" guy.

And I'm 100% realistic and excited about the changes..

Not sure why people are reading bits and pieces of info and piling on Jet fans.....

To this Jet fan THIS is already going well...

No we don't know what Mangini and co. will bring but, personally, I though Herm was worthless and Bradway wasn't much better - So I'm happy..

Hated Herm /Bradway

Feel we now have a coach with some semblance of Football knowledge who could adapt the systems around the talent as opposed to the last cheerleader "Play to win the Game" guy.

Not sure why people are reading bits and pieces of info and piling on Jet fans.....

No we don't know what Mangini and co. will bring but, personally, I though Herm was worthless and Bradway wasn't much better - So I'm happy..
it sounds like YOU are being realistic...i just can't say the same for many of your fellow jets fans. the reason i guess my post was perceived by you to be "piling on" is because the number of threads regarding the jets (and how move x is going to happen) are non-stop. at some point it will hit many jets fans that they are likely going to suck this (and next) season while they wait for the current regime to fix the mistakes of the past one

Because he is very talented when on the field. And some team that is close and feels a disruptive DE gets them over the top would certainly like to have him over a rookie.I wouldn't pay a 1st rdr, but I'm not a GM.
I understand Abraham has value. But when I look at Patrick Surtain who is equally as talented as Abraham is at his position, equally hard to come by and has far more locker room cred only pulled 2nd round value.

at this point the jets can't count on penny, have an unproven head coach, talent that doesn't really fit their new scheme, play in a difficult division, have a lot of media scrutiny, and unrealistic fans.  this isn't going to go well for the jets or their fans this season (see smilie above)

Hated Herm /Bradway

You sound exactly like me when the Dolphins got rid of Wannstadt & Spielman.

it sounds like YOU are being realistic...i just can't say the same for many of your fellow jets fans. the reason i guess my post was perceived by you to be "piling on" is because the number of threads regarding the jets (and how move x is going to happen) are non-stop. at some point it will hit many jets fans that they are likely going to suck this (and next) season while they wait for the current regime to fix the mistakes of the past one
Unless you're a playoff team or a real good team already like KC, I think any team with a new regime has to look to take a step back and needs 2 years to get their program in gear..This thread was started by a Pats fan and your reaction is one of the reasons I hate seeing so many new threads for 1 team...

I think we're also getting hit with a few offseason Newbies.....

I post on Jet homer boards and you'll be hardpressed to find a Jets fan who is optomistic about Wins and Losses for the upcoming year - What we all want to see is what Miami saw last year PROGRESS - Like Nick Saban said, Wins and Losses aren't the most improtant thing right now.

The team could go 1-15 next year and It could possibly be the happiest season ever for me as a Jets fan (not saying much) IF they clear this salary cap problem, start building an OL, find a QB and start putting together a System... Heck, Miami didn't even find a QB and it was a success......

Baby steps..... At this point I'm just glad Herm and Bradway are gone - Nothing would have been worse than to hear their excuses again and the same ole BS.

I post on Jet homer boards and you'll be hardpressed to find a Jets fan who is optomistic about Wins and Losses for the upcoming year
It is all so sad. Just 365 days ago the Jets were considered somewhat young (defensively anyway) and a legit AFC Championship contender.I am secretly a part-time Jets fan and just flabergasted at their fall.

That's because it's EXACTLY where the Jets are right now - Hoping to follow the path of Saban....

I said last year Miami made a ton of great moves and had them pegged at over 8 wins...

That said - we BOTH need a franchise QB at this point before anyone becomes a true contender.

That's because it's EXACTLY where the Jets are right now - Hoping to follow the path of Saban....

I said last year Miami made a ton of great moves and had them pegged at over 8 wins...

That said - we BOTH need a franchise QB at this point before anyone becomes a true contender.
We finally agree.I just don't see how the Jets could possibly take Cutler at #4 (my wanting Cutler to land with the Dolphins with the #16 pick aside) when they have serious Oline issues to address. Passing on D'Brickshaw at #4 would be a huge mistake on their part IMO.

I post on Jet homer boards and you'll be hardpressed to find a Jets fan who is optomistic about Wins and Losses for the upcoming year
It is all so sad. Just 365 days ago the Jets were considered somewhat young (defensively anyway) and a legit AFC Championship contender.I am secretly a part-time Jets fan and just flabergasted at their fall.
Well, that's the NFL...... The Defense still isn't so bad - Add some bulk in the middle of the DL and some depth and it's a pretty good defense that needs a little help from the offense.... Can't wait to see what Mangini does with the unit - especially the secondary.Again, with that defense it's a really similar situation to Miami's last year....

Granted, Saban had much better credentials and his staff was more respected so, the Jets are behind quite a bit - But, when you talk about Jet fan optomism, I think it needs to be contained at least in the hopeful mold of what we saw in Miami....

PROGRESS.... Wins and losses mean little.... A real high draft pick next year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world..... Add you RB THEN!!!!

This year - Build the OL, Get a QB up to speed and next year draft the RB who is much easier to just add to an offense.

it sounds like YOU are being realistic...i just can't say the same for many of your fellow jets fans.  the reason i guess my post was perceived by you to be "piling on" is because the number of threads regarding the jets (and how move x is going to happen) are non-stop.  at some point it will hit many jets fans that they are likely going to suck this (and next) season while they wait for the current regime to fix the mistakes of the past one
Unless you're a playoff team or a real good team already like KC, I think any team with a new regime has to look to take a step back and needs 2 years to get their program in gear..This thread was started by a Pats fan and your reaction is one of the reasons I hate seeing so many new threads for 1 team...

I think we're also getting hit with a few offseason Newbies.....

I post on Jet homer boards and you'll be hardpressed to find a Jets fan who is optomistic about Wins and Losses for the upcoming year - What we all want to see is what Miami saw last year PROGRESS - Like Nick Saban said, Wins and Losses aren't the most improtant thing right now.

The team could go 1-15 next year and It could possibly be the happiest season ever for me as a Jets fan (not saying much) IF they clear this salary cap problem, start building an OL, find a QB and start putting together a System... Heck, Miami didn't even find a QB and it was a success......

Baby steps..... At this point I'm just glad Herm and Bradway are gone - Nothing would have been worse than to hear their excuses again and the same ole BS.
I agree with you're sentiments, although I won't give up my dream of seeing Reggie Bush wearing a Jet uniform. If we can get a QB for the future and the begining of a young OL, I'll be happy. As far as you're "newbie" statement goes, this is the 1st year I've posted at this site. Have been a regular poster at fftoday for several years.

Abraham made it clear late last season, his first injury-free campaign since 2002, that he wanted the Jets, or someone, to sign him to a long-term contract. It is becoming increasingly apparent that the Jets will not be that team.

According to published reports, Abraham has told friends he wants out of New York, no matter what the cap-strapped Jets decide to do. The franchise tag would guarantee him a salary of $8.3 million for the 2006 season.

They now will likely try to trade him, but cap considerations could make this scenario difficult. The Jets would need to clear $34 million off their 2006 cap by March 3, the day free-agency begins, to be able to absorb the salary-cap hit that would come from franchising and then trading Abraham.

In any event, it appears that Abraham will be someplace else in 2006, and that leaves a gaping hole. While 2002 No. 1 pick Bryan Thomas, who has filled in for both Abraham and Shaun Ellis during his Jets' career and has finally shown flashes of being the player the Jets expected, he has actually been much more effective against the run.

He has yet to develop into the type of pass-rusher the Jets hoped he would, and worse yet, Ellis' production usually has declined when Abraham wasn't on the opposite end to take pressure off him.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/jets/home.htm

I wonder what happens if Abraham doesn't sign the one year contract offerred with the franchise tag. Apparently the Jets really need him to sign before March 3rd but that would mean he'd have to take part in their offseason workouts and well he just doesn't do that. Suppose he doesn't actually sign it but they find someone willing to trade for him. They can remove the tag right? Then does the new team have to pay him the truckload of the franchise tag comes with? Do the Jets take a cap hit if he's traded(his rights I suppose) before he actually signs the contract?

Users who are viewing this thread