What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets Coaching (1 Viewer)

Purpulhippo999

Footballguy
Obviously, the Jets aren't interested in Herm Edwards anymore...now the question is who is his replacement going to be? Donnie Henderson? Jim Haslett? Do I dare say Mike Tice? I think they might give Donnie a shot, but I would like to see JIM FASSEL as the head coach and see how that turns out. Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard on Eric Cassilius on ESPN Sirius radio that they're bringing Mike Tice in for an interview. :confused:

I think Fassel is the chioce. He is familer with New York and should be a good fit. I also think Mike MArtz would be a good choce b/c he only passes the ball and since the Jets have no running backs they will be passing the ball a lot. They could draft Marcus VIck with the fourth round pick and get a good scrambler which would be good for the Jets offense that will lack a #1 back. Peace out and Much Love

I think Fassel is the chioce. He is familer with New York and should be a good fit. I also think Mike MArtz would be a good choce b/c he only passes the ball and since the Jets have no running backs they will be passing the ball a lot. They could draft Marcus VIck with the fourth round pick and get a good scrambler which would be good for the Jets offense that will lack a #1 back.

Peace out and Much Love
Have any of you guys seen Marcus Vick play? I'm a diehard Tech fan and I'm telling you that kid is not a qb prospect. He will play WR in the NFL. He will look eerily similar to Antwan Randle El.

article from yesterday's post. I think the last two "prospects" calls into question the credibility of the entire article. Nice poke at Tice too.The "hype" around Haslett was solely generated by his agent. won't happen.I'd love to see Ferentz, but I heard on the fan that he's close with Belichik and Saban, who would probably talk him out of joining the division.

GOIN' TO K.C.?By MARK CANNIZZARO January 5, 2006 -- THE REPLACEMENTSA look at the prospective next head coach and Post odds:JIM HASLETT (3-1): Has been contacted already. Former Saints coach, who did a nice job holding the ship together under difficult circumstances this season, brought New Orleans to playoffs once - in 2000.MIKE HEIMERDINGER (4-1): Offensive coordinator will come cheap because he's never been a head coach before. Cheap is attractive.KIRK FERENTZ (7-1): Iowa coach thought of as the next big NFL hire because of his ties to Bill Belichick. GM Terry Bradway likes him a lot. Problem for Woody Johnson is, with all the NFL jobs open, he's a hot item.DONNIE HENDERSON (12-1): Defensive coordinator who, like Heimerdinger, would come cheap. He's fiery, but is he even-keel enough?MIKE WESTHOFF (15-1): Special teams coach is one of the best at what he does and deserves a long look. He, too, would be cheap for Woody.STEVE MARIUCCI (20-1): Former 49ers and Lions coach a good offensive mind, but will likely be too costly for Woody's tight purse strings.ERIC MANGINI (50-1): If Patriots defensive coordinator and Bill Belichick protege is hired you'll know Jets assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum had a big say, because Tannenbaum likes him.MIKE TICE (75-1): There's a lot of water around Long Island, where Tice is from, so boat trips could be aplenty.RICH KOTITE (99-1): Don't put this one past the brilliant football mind of Woody Johnson. He is, after all, available and would come cheap.VINNY TESTAVERDE (100-1): He could bring in Wayne Chrebet as his offensive coordinator.

Al Saunders should be on the list. Apparently close to Bradway.
he's already failed as a head coach, granted that was a long time ago but that'll deter some.

Obviously, the Jets aren't interested in Herm Edwards anymore...now the question is who is his replacement going to be? Donnie Henderson? Jim Haslett? Do I dare say Mike Tice? I think they might give Donnie a shot, but I would like to see JIM FASSEL as the head coach and see how that turns out. Your thoughts?
I thought I read that Herm was trying to take Donnie with him.Heimerdinger was the favorite when Herm leaving talk was just a rumor.

Ted Cottrell I really like but it doesn't look like he's ever gonna get a HC gig. Maybe like Romeo, when we think he never will, he'll get his chance.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Maurice Carthon for the NYJ. Pepper Johnson was considerred for the DC in New England, while most knew it was Mangini's job. Having played and coached together for probably 15 years if some franchise takes a chance on Maurice this year, I'd expect Pepper to join him. Gash, Carthon's pupil and someone that played with a similar mindset and alo under BB and Parcells, is the Jets RB coach. DB coach Corwin Brown also played for Parcells and BB IIRC. I think the Jets DL coach used to be a Giants position coach and well Maurice has plenty of ties there.

Mangini is interesting and intriguing but IIRC he's quite young and well I'm not sure if HC isn't too big a jump too quickly for him.

If they don't hire Hemerdinger or Henderson they are nuts.These two are the reason the team won ANY games this year. And some continuity wouldn't be a bad thing.Would rather see two guys who have run top units in the NFL over any college coach. And Fassel is nothing more than average.

GOIN' TO K.C.?

By MARK CANNIZZARO

January 5, 2006 -- THE REPLACEMENTS

A look at the prospective next head coach and Post odds:

JIM HASLETT (3-1): Has been contacted already. Former Saints coach, who did a nice job holding the ship together under difficult circumstances this season, brought New Orleans to playoffs once - in 2000.

MIKE HEIMERDINGER (4-1): Offensive coordinator will come cheap because he's never been a head coach before. Cheap is attractive.

KIRK FERENTZ (7-1): Iowa coach thought of as the next big NFL hire because of his ties to Bill Belichick. GM Terry Bradway likes him a lot. Problem for Woody Johnson is, with all the NFL jobs open, he's a hot item.

DONNIE HENDERSON (12-1): Defensive coordinator who, like Heimerdinger, would come cheap. He's fiery, but is he even-keel enough?

MIKE WESTHOFF (15-1): Special teams coach is one of the best at what he does and deserves a long look. He, too, would be cheap for Woody.

STEVE MARIUCCI (20-1): Former 49ers and Lions coach a good offensive mind, but will likely be too costly for Woody's tight purse strings.

ERIC MANGINI (50-1): If Patriots defensive coordinator and Bill Belichick protege is hired you'll know Jets assistant GM Mike Tannenbaum had a big say, because Tannenbaum likes him.

MIKE TICE (75-1): There's a lot of water around Long Island, where Tice is from, so boat trips could be aplenty.

RICH KOTITE (99-1): Don't put this one past the brilliant football mind of Woody Johnson. He is, after all, available and would come cheap.

VINNY TESTAVERDE (100-1): He could bring in Wayne Chrebet as his offensive coordinator.
I don't have any probs with Woody nor have I seen anything that makes me think the guy deserves any criticism really. Cheap? Tell that to Jet fans that see John Abraham get more $ every year. Not being able to afford Curtis this upcoming year, if it happens, will be more of an old and his time has past kinda thing than an owner being cheap. Herm's done OK in his first head coaching job so IMO Woody's done fine in choosing his coaches. Some said he hired a consultant to help him decide on Herm. Well, if true then that's wise and at least he's not just picking blindly and assuming he knows things he doesn't. I have no prob with him hiring a consultant and never understood why that bugged people."The kid" quietly took over one of america's larger most well known companies and we barely heard a hiccup about it. Leon Hess was a gem of a man and almost any owner to follow him would have received harsh criticism yet Woody really hasn't. He either know what he wants in a man to run his team or he's wise enough to hire a consultant to do so. Whatever it is, this guy makes good well thought decisions. I won't doubt him.

today's ny post has ferentz, heimerdinger, haslett and fassel as top prospects.I wouldn't mind seeing Fassel in there. He knows what the market, media and fans are like and what they expect. I'll even go as far as to say he knows the intricacies of the stadium and how the weather can play a role.He's pretty much level headed, but can get fired up too. remember when he guaranteed the giants would make the playoffs and took over offensive play calling. They not only made the playoffs, but made it to the super bowl.

today's ny post has ferentz, heimerdinger, haslett and fassel as top prospects.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fassel in there. He knows what the market, media and fans are like and what they expect. I'll even go as far as to say he knows the intricacies of the stadium and how the weather can play a role.

He's pretty much level headed, but can get fired up too. remember when he guaranteed the giants would make the playoffs and took over offensive play calling. They not only made the playoffs, but made it to the super bowl.
I wouldn't mind Fassel either. The guy has proven he can coach, and knows the NY market (and beat writers) very well.If he does get hired, it wouldn't surprise me to see Collins brought in (if the Raiders cut him) to challenge Chad.

I don't think either coordinator will get the job, but I prefer Henderson to 'Dinger. From the outside candidates, Ferentz, Mo Carthon, Sean Payton, Mooch, Fassel or Martz would all be fine with me. I'd be pretty pissed about Tice, and Haslett. I guess Westhoff would be ok too, though I never really thought about him as a HC. Truth is that I think as fans, we don't have any idea how good or bad these coaches are. That's why a guy like Haslett is so respected around the league, but us fans view him like smelly turd.

I don't think either coordinator will get the job, but I prefer Henderson to 'Dinger. From the outside candidates, Ferentz, Mo Carthon, Sean Payton, Mooch, Fassel or Martz would all be fine with me. I'd be pretty pissed about Tice, and Haslett. I guess Westhoff would be ok too, though I never really thought about him as a HC. Truth is that I think as fans, we don't have any idea how good or bad these coaches are. That's why a guy like Haslett is so respected around the league, but us fans view him like smelly turd.
:goodposting: wow, I've been all over these boards the past couple days looking for any hint of who the Jets are going to go with and this statement just put a screetching halt to that.

absolutely the truth. what the hell do I know.

peace.

Hey Z-Dog,We tend to agree a lot. I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on preferring Henderson to 'Dinger. I would be very unhappy if Henderson became the HC.

:popcorn:

Was listening to WFAN earlier today. Not that these guys are infallible..or psychic ;) ...but apparently yesterday Mike and Mad Dog were claiming that neither Jets coordinator is on the list for the job. There's also speculation that Henderson geos to KC with Herm.

Hey Z-Dog,We tend to agree a lot. I'm very curious to hear your thoughts on preferring Henderson to 'Dinger. I would be very unhappy if Henderson became the HC.

Hey Chase, I always enjoy your posts.My thoughts on Henderson over 'Dinger are as follows:

1. 'Dinger is a bit of a mercenary, at least as relates to the Jets. After Herm made Hackett the fall guy, right or wrong, for last year's stagnant passing offense, Heimerdinger was brought on in a lateral move. At the time, I and many others speculated that Dinger was mking a lteral move to a larger market so that he could get a head coaching gig after the Jets made a serious championship run this past year or the next.

2. Henderson was brought in to fix the D and reshape it from Cotrell's too-passive D. Henderson came in, and two years in a row has had a top-10 D. He's done it with ltos of help from Johnathan Vilma, true, but his unit also had plenty of injuries and key FA losses. Heimerdinger came to fix a stagnant office, got all sorts of new toys, and failed. Yes, he was hurt by various injuries, and it's really hard to come into a new situation with so much flux and do well. But that doesn't say much for making you the next HC either.

3. I think that Heimerdinger will bring in Billy Volek to compete with Chad, and I think Volek is a BS QB. Of course, if the Titans part ways with McNair instead, and Heimerdinger would bring McNair to NY, that would be more appealing.

Hey!!! Just curious...Jesse Jackson wants to know if the Chiefs interviewed a white candidate before settleing on Edwards... :rolleyes:

I think Fassel is the chioce. He is familer with New York and should be a good fit. I also think Mike MArtz would be a good choce b/c he only passes the ball and since the Jets have no running backs they will be passing the ball a lot. They could draft Marcus VIck with the fourth round pick and get a good scrambler which would be good for the Jets offense that will lack a #1 back.

Peace out and Much Love
Have any of you guys seen Marcus Vick play? I'm a diehard Tech fan and I'm telling you that kid is not a qb prospect. He will play WR in the NFL. He will look eerily similar to Antwan Randle El.
Actually he will be out of the NFL in no time. He's nothing. A zero.

Hey Chase, I always enjoy your posts.My thoughts on Henderson over 'Dinger are as follows:

1. 'Dinger is a bit of a mercenary, at least as relates to the Jets. After Herm made Hackett the fall guy, right or wrong, for last year's stagnant passing offense, Heimerdinger was brought on in a lateral move. At the time, I and many others speculated that Dinger was mking a lteral move to a larger market so that he could get a head coaching gig after the Jets made a serious championship run this past year or the next.

2. Henderson was brought in to fix the D and reshape it from Cotrell's too-passive D. Henderson came in, and two years in a row has had a top-10 D. He's done it with ltos of help from Johnathan Vilma, true, but his unit also had plenty of injuries and key FA losses. Heimerdinger came to fix a stagnant office, got all sorts of new toys, and failed. Yes, he was hurt by various injuries, and it's really hard to come into a new situation with so much flux and do well. But that doesn't say much for making you the next HC either.

3. I think that Heimerdinger will bring in Billy Volek to compete with Chad, and I think Volek is a BS QB. Of course, if the Titans part ways with McNair instead, and Heimerdinger would bring McNair to NY, that would be more appealing.
I can't take a lot out of this season. I thought the Jets D played very well some games early in the season (the first Miami game, the Jacksonville game, the Ravens game) but also let the team down in others (KC, Den, NE). I thought Henderson did a very good job last year, and it's hard to fault him this year when his D is on the field more than any team in the league.On the flip side, 'Dinger gets an INC. He lost his top 2 QBs, his top 2 RBs, his top 2 OL, and his top TE for the season. The top 2 FBs, other OL, and other QBs were also injured during the year. I thought Bollinger really improved as the season went along, as did the OL. But the O was playing with a half deck most of the year.

That being said, Heimerdinger was known to be a strong HC candidate last year, and I was impressed with what he did in TN. He had some nice moments this season, and the Jets certainly went downfield a lot more than in years past. Much of the time the offense looked eerily similar to Hackett's, but that was a product of the player's health.

Shaun Ellis and Dewayne Robertson had dissapointing years, although no doubt in large part due to the lack of success of the offense. But Donnie doesn't strike me as HC material. I know that's subjective and without a ton of evidence, but reading and listening to his interviews, and seeing him in person, I don't think he has the capability of maintaining an even disposition for an entire year. He's firy and passionate, but I think he might burn out. Furthermore, I don't think he knows a lick about offense.

If 'Dinger's coaching the O and Henderson's coaching the D, it might not matter who is the real HC. But Henderson's D failed to show up a lot of times this year (a D that suffered only one serious injury for the first three months), and I worry that he wouldn't be able to succeed as a HC.

i completely agree with you. I aslo wrote a thread on how Fassel would be great for th eJets. Also, the Jets are suposedly interested in Eric Mangini

Users who are viewing this thread