What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Huston: Director Hall of Fame **VOTE HERE** (1 Viewer)

What movie should John Huston go into the Movie HOF with?

• The Maltese Falcon

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • The African Queen

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • The Asphalt Jungle

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Key Largo

• The Man Who Would Be King

• The Misfits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fat City

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
the thing that gets lost in perspective on The Maltese Falcon was how modern it was. Sam Spade's gleeful corruption, willing cynicism yet unshakeable core. The kaleidoscopic perfidy of the Gutman gang, the grey area in which law enforcement operated, Miss O'Shaughnessy's liquid scruples. deliciously free of puff - the stuff dreams are made of.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just looking at my Netflix app, and apparently the #1 show in the US is “Is it Cake”.

I’m not sure if I’m more troubled about what that says about Netflix or the American public.
Whatever NF puts up on their homepage is what will be the top watched shows that week.  It’s just mindless click on whatever NF recommends and half watch, half use your phone. 

the thing that gets lost in perspective on The Maltese Falcon was how modern it was. Sam Spade's gleeful corruption, willing cynicism yet unshakeable core. The kaleidoscopic perfidy of the Gutman gang, the grey area in which law enforcement operated, Miss O'Shaughnessy's liquid scruples. deliciously free of puff - the stuff dreams are made of.

The 1931 film version of The Maltese Falcon has some of that but generally strikes a lighter tone in spite of it being pre-code. What it doesn't have is the great casting and performances of Huston's version.  The latter version is far superior of course but the original film is decent.

I was just looking at my Netflix app, and apparently the #1 show in the US is “Is it Cake”.

I’m not sure if I’m more troubled about what that says about Netflix or the American public.
I'd go with the latter. My word. That sounds like a dirty double entendre or something from Fear Factor with Joe Rogan or whatever that show was. 

I think African Queen highly regarded too.
Tangent - I never realized the "Jungle Cruise" ride at Disneyland was inspired by this movie (terrible captain jokes on the ride notwithstanding), until I saw a preview for the new Dwayne Johnson flick and thought it was an AQ remake.

Whatever NF puts up on their homepage is what will be the top watched shows that week.  It’s just mindless click on whatever NF recommends and half watch, half use your phone. 

Netflix's algorithm heavily promotes their original programming.  There's some prestige content but a lot of it is low budget crapware.  I assume the economics are better for Netflix to own hit content outright than to pay third parties.

I have no idea whether their DVD service still carries old movies but it's just wrong that it's harder to watch a lot of films now than it was in the VHS era.

Netflix's algorithm heavily promotes their original programming.  There's some prestige content but a lot of it is low budget crapware.  I assume the economics are better for Netflix to own hit content outright than to pay third parties.

I have no idea whether their DVD service still carries old movies but it's just wrong that it's harder to watch a lot of films now than it was in the VHS era.
Pretty much.   I mean, we have instant access to a lot of content for rent on Prime or Apple, so there is that.    I think the sentiment that you are getting at and I grumble at is the idea that I have 5 streaming subscriptions to services that are 1/2 movies on their site, and I am having to use the library or rent for $3-7 a lot of movies that I want to watch.   

I agree with 80s above that NF is the worst of the services too.   I'm lucky if I have 10 things I want to watch in my queue, and usually it's just a reminder for one of the few shows I like or a stand up I wanted to watch.  

I think NF has gone into turbo drive making their original content because as Paramount+, HBO Max, Peacock, etc have gone up they have taken back their content they used to license to NF. NF used to have Friends, The Office, etc. Now those are key parts of new streaming platforms. NF is trying to make an original content library from scratch.

I think NF has gone into turbo drive making their original content because as Paramount+, HBO Max, Peacock, etc have gone up they have taken back their content they used to license to NF. NF used to have Friends, The Office, etc. Now those are key parts of new streaming platforms. NF is trying to make an original content library from scratch.

Paramount+, HBO Max, Peacock, etc. could stream a lot more content from the vaults of Paramount, Warners, Universal, etc. but they don't for a variety of reasons. Instead they cycle through a subset of familiar stuff that people who watch a lot of movies have probably already seen. 

We have a bunch of OTT services but I watch more movies on TCM than anywhere else.  I find more interesting films on ad-supported channels like Tubi, IMDB and Pluto than I do on Netflix these days.

Paramount+, HBO Max, Peacock, etc. could stream a lot more content from the vaults of Paramount, Warners, Universal, etc. but they don't for a variety of reasons. Instead they cycle through a subset of familiar stuff that people who watch a lot of movies have probably already seen. 

We have a bunch of OTT services but I watch more movies on TCM than anywhere else.  I find more interesting films on ad-supported channels like Tubi, IMDB and Pluto than I do on Netflix these days.
Yeah NF is horrible. I just refused to do ads so HBO Max and TCM are my go to streamers. Criterion is even better but I don’t know why I haven’t subscribed  yet. 

IMO the most cost effective combo for movie geeks (especially the ones looking for foreign or classics) would be:

Kanopy + Mubi + HBO/Criterion    

Kanopy is free, but I get that it's not available everywhere.   There is always an interesting rotation of stuff I've never heard of on Mubi, and then one of the other two to round it out (HBO if you want a mix of more current/TV/blockbusters).   That's about $22/month and I doubt many of us would be bored looking for great ideas.   

Now, that doesn't solve the gripe above about not being able to find a lot of specific titles, just IMO a great bang for the buck.  

Yeah NF is horrible. I just refused to do ads so HBO Max and TCM are my go to streamers. Criterion is even better but I don’t know why I haven’t subscribed  yet. 
If you had to choose one or the other, I am not sure why you haven't dropped NF for Criterion.     I bet you would use it 5x more than NF at least.   Maybe just switch and then a couple times a year switch back to NF for a month to catch up on the few prestige flicks they will put out each year? 

If you had to choose one or the other, I am not sure why you haven't dropped NF for Criterion.     I bet you would use it 5x more than NF at least.   Maybe just switch and then a couple times a year switch back to NF for a month to catch up on the few prestige flicks they will put out each year? 
Easy answer. I don’t pay for NF. My wife and I share a bunch of streaming services with 2 other couples. We all pay for 1 or 2 services and then share the passwords. None of them are interested in Criterion unfortunately. 

Users who are viewing this thread