What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Wockenfuss Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

In 1985 during my Senior year of college, some friends and I drove from Eastern Illinois University to Tampa for Spring break. One of the guys had a condo there. I spent much of the time attending Spring training games at the Cardinal and Mets games. The Mets played the Phillies one afternoon and our seats were right by the Phils bullpen in the front row. Wockenfuss was the bullpen catcher and after a few innings I asked him through the fence if he was bored. He looked very bored. He said yes and we spent most of the next couple of hours talking about baseball and spring training and the fact that he was the platoon half of my DH slot on a recent Strat-o-matic team. It was a great day and I will always appreciate JW for those two hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
That card doesn't list his position as C/OF like some of the other years.

I always thought that was cool because it was so rare. The only other players I recall having that designation were Brian Downing and Dale Murphy for a his first couple of years in the majors (he came up as a catcher).

Awesome video :) Glad it was the real deal.

That "batting stance" guy on youtube does a terrible Wockenfuss :thumbdown:

-QG

As a young person, sitting in the cheap sits at old Tiger Stadium...

wandering over and looking out at he bull pen and hollering at the backup catcher. Wocky looks up and flips us off....

Priceless.

I always thought that was cool because it was so rare. The only other players I recall having that designation were Brian Downing and Dale Murphy for a his first couple of years in the majors (he came up as a catcher).
Fascinating. I can't think of many who would have played enough C and OF in the same season to warrant a C/OF designation.

Keith "Real Estate" Moreland caught some for the Cubs in the early 1980s when he wasn't playing RF. Also from that era, Charlie Moore was the RF for Harvey's Wallbangers but also caught a little in the majors.

Only other guy who comes to mind immediately is Eli Marrero, who came up in the late 1990s as a catcher for the Cardinals but started playing some outfield after a couple seasons and was a full-time OF at 30.

Fascinating. I can't think of many who would have played enough C and OF in the same season to warrant a C/OF designation.

Keith "Real Estate" Moreland caught some for the Cubs in the early 1980s when he wasn't playing RF. Also from that era, Charlie Moore was the RF for Harvey's Wallbangers but also caught a little in the majors.

Only other guy who comes to mind immediately is Eli Marrero, who came up in the late 1990s as a catcher for the Cardinals but started playing some outfield after a couple seasons and was a full-time OF at 30.
Ryan Doumit and Evan Gattis are two recent examples. Also, Pirates tried the C/OF deal with Jason Kendall back in 2001.

Wockenfuss deserves to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame as a special contributor. He should be in the Tigers ring of honor at the very least.

That name... that stance.

His impact on youngsters of the 70s cannot be measured.

We should find this guy. Maybe he's on Twitter. I think he'd come and rap with us if he knew we had a Wockenfuss shrine.

BTW, I totally had these Pony cleats in little league.

We should find this guy. Maybe he's on Twitter. I think he'd come and rap with us if he knew we had a Wockenfuss shrine.

BTW, I totally had these Pony cleats in little league.
If my notebook is correct, I believe Doctor Detroit is Facebook friends with Mr. Wockenfuss. In fact, Wockenfuss "liked" a post by Dr. D.
Damn right.

I'm going to send him a picture of of fantasy baseball trophy from 2014 when I get it in March. John Wokenfuss Dinnerware is a juggernaut my friend.

I found a 1980 Richie Hebner Tiger glass at my MILs when we were cleaning her house out. No John Biltons though..

hitting-stance-john-wockenfuss.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread