What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jones' future may have Bears' brass at odds (1 Viewer)

From KFFL News and Notes

Apr 23 K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports the Indianapolis Colts dropped their interest in trading for Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones when they heard he had left the team's offseason conditioning program. 

My thoughts:

More likely they dropped their interest when they realized a 3rd rounder wouldn't cut it and/or Drew Rosenhaus wanted significant coin.  Colts can deal with Condon; not sure what their relationship with DR is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think anyone needs to read more into other than what K.C. said. Jones left because of money issues and Indy, nor the Bears for that matter, will be giving him more money. The ONLY reason Jones is/was attractive was because of the low starting money he's due. Otherwise, no reason to deal for him (like Alexander/James last year) if he's moaning about a new contract.I hope TJ isn't stupid enough to sit out into the preseason over a contract he's got no shot at getting. Instead of crying for better starter money, he'll be one of the better paid backups in the league if he sits out too long.

I wouldn't give Benson any shot of getting his paws on the starting job.

-------------

As far as the recent Tony Hollings signing, probably more for special teams reasons. But also could be preparing for the worst with the Jones situation and gives them an extra back behind Benson & Peterson.

Wow...Cedric Benson with absolutely NO shot at that starting gig there in Chi Town whatsoever under any circumstances? None, nunya, nada, zip, zilch, zero, aintgonnahappen on even the coldest day in hell? Ive gotta say I hope youre dead wrong, but with that Chicago handle, Ive gotta think you know a little something more here than me....what exactly is it youre not telling us? Did Cedric Benson suddenly get traded to Cleveland???

From KFFL News and Notes

Apr 23 K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports the Indianapolis Colts dropped their interest in trading for Chicago Bears RB Thomas Jones when they heard he had left the team's offseason conditioning program.  

My thoughts:

More likely they dropped their interest when they realized a 3rd rounder wouldn't cut it and/or Drew Rosenhaus wanted significant coin.  Colts can deal with Condon; not sure what their relationship with DR is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think anyone needs to read more into other than what K.C. said. Jones left because of money issues and Indy, nor the Bears for that matter, will be giving him more money. The ONLY reason Jones is/was attractive was because of the low starting money he's due. Otherwise, no reason to deal for him (like Alexander/James last year) if he's moaning about a new contract.I hope TJ isn't stupid enough to sit out into the preseason over a contract he's got no shot at getting. Instead of crying for better starter money, he'll be one of the better paid backups in the league if he sits out too long.

-------------

As far as the recent Tony Hollings signing, probably more for special teams reasons. But also could be preparing for the worst with the Jones situation and gives them an extra back behind Benson & Peterson.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Benson doesn't have a shot at the starting job, Hollings is for special teams and Jones will be the best paid back-up in the league--who's the starter? Peterson??? :confused:

From KFFL News and Notes

My thoughts:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-------------

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Benson doesn't have a shot at the starting job, Hollings is for special teams and Jones will be the best paid back-up in the league--who's the starter? Peterson??? :confused:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Benson definitely has a shot. That chance is a lot less IMO if Jones is on the field in training camp & preseason. If Jones is not, he (Jones) might not get the job back. Peterson is behind Benson in the pecking order. My post was basically: Jones better not let the contract squabble go on and on (like Benson's in 2005) or he may never see his starting job again. And he can forget about moaning about a contract when he's backing up Benson. I'm sure Jones wants Benson to earn the starting gig, not to give it to him on a silver platter.

Last edited by a moderator:
as a benson owner, i've no fear that he gets the starting gig, this year..

we're not even talking about TJ right now had benson NOT held out last year..

he would've started from day 1. Chicago's ownership is too cheap to let the multi-milion dollar man named C. Benson sit on the bench...they used a high draft pick on him, and will not allow him to be a 2nd stringer..TJ is an afterthought at this point..

If Jones doesn't hold out, I think he'll be the starter. That said, Benson definitely has a shot, a good one at that.. but just like anyone else, he won't be handed the job and he'll have to earn it. Unfortunately, TJ is making it easier for him at this point in time. If we see TJ hold out going into training camp, then Benson's value will rise quickly. If not, TJ has a lot of value until Benson can prove he's up to the task of blocking and catching the ball out of the backfield. Right now, it's all speculative on both sides..

Wow...Cedric Benson with absolutely NO shot at that starting gig there in Chi Town whatsoever under any circumstances?  None, nunya, nada, zip, zilch, zero, aintgonnahappen on even the coldest day in hell?  Ive gotta say I hope youre dead wrong, but with that Chicago handle, Ive gotta think you know a little something more here than me....what exactly is it youre not telling us?  Did Cedric Benson suddenly get traded to Cleveland???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So bump worthy....You don't draft a guy 4th overall to fetch water for everyone...You think they pay the kid $20 million in gauranteed money because they like the way he collects the towels after practice. Benson is the future of the bears and the future starts now.....Good luck with TJ. My money is that you won't be able to get a wad of gum for the guy after week 6....

Wow...Cedric Benson with absolutely NO shot at that starting gig there in Chi Town whatsoever under any circumstances?  None, nunya, nada, zip, zilch, zero, aintgonnahappen on even the coldest day in hell?  Ive gotta say I hope youre dead wrong, but with that Chicago handle, Ive gotta think you know a little something more here than me....what exactly is it youre not telling us?  Did Cedric Benson suddenly get traded to Cleveland???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering where you got that I said Benson had no shot of the starting job, then I realized I put "I" when I meant "If I were Jones, I wouldn't give....."

Wow...Cedric Benson with absolutely NO shot at that starting gig there in Chi Town whatsoever under any circumstances?  None, nunya, nada, zip, zilch, zero, aintgonnahappen on even the coldest day in hell?   Ive gotta say I hope youre dead wrong, but with that Chicago handle, Ive gotta think you know a little something more here than me....what exactly is it youre not telling us?  Did Cedric Benson suddenly get traded to Cleveland???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering where you got that I said Benson had no shot of the starting job, then I realized I put "I" when I meant "If I were Jones, I wouldn't give....."
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK...you had me shiverring in me timbers already there over heres.....confusion dilluted. thanks for the bounce-back. and hurry up and get on board the Cedric bandwagon because tickets are no longer cheap! :yes:

So they end up with Cedric Benson backed up by Adrian Peterson - which isn't exactly chopped liver.   Briggs and Manning Jr. locked up long term.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looked like chop liver to me last year. The Bears weren't nearly as good without Thomas Jones. Benson has proven nothing except that he holds out when he doesn't get his way and when he finally gets some time, he gets hurt. I think trading away TJ for a third round pick is a stupid idea. :thumbdown:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:goodposting:

I guess you numb nuts can't read game logs and see that Adrian Peterson ran for over 120 yards when Thomas Jones was injured last season.

Jones isn't going anywhere either btw....

The Bears picked up Tony Hollings just in case Thomas Jones decides to 'get cute' and hold out at the advice of his new agent, Drew RodentHouse.

[SIZE=8pt][benson owner][/SIZE]

You can never tell which defenses are going to improve dramatically from year to year, but on paper... here on May 8th, Chicago's fantasy playoff schedule looks to be VERY favorable. Whomever is the starting RB entering these weeks could be in for some big days.

Week 14 - Chicago @ St. Louis

Week 15 - Tampa Bay @ Chicago

Week 16 - Chicago @ Detroit

Week 17 - Green Bay @ Chicago

[SIZE=14pt]TRADE THOMAS JONES!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt][/benson owner][/SIZE] :unsure:

I got rid of this headache, I traded T.J. and Benson for Edge and Reggie Brown. I just try and stay away from the Bears and Broncos endless mind games.

I got rid of this headache, I traded T.J. and Benson for Edge and Reggie Brown. I just try and stay away from the Bears and Broncos endless mind games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't say Jones or the Bears are playing a mindgame. TJ deserves a raise, but the Bears are paying Benson to be the 20-25 carry back. Tough situation for Jones, he is either going to hold out for the season, and never get the big extension due to his age, or he is going to come back knowing that his time as starter is coming to an end. I don't see any scenario where the Bears end up giving in to Jones' demands, unless Benson gets injured during training camp.

The only mind games is wondering who is going to get the carries, if T.j. is healthy, no prob., but if dinged Benson will get carries too. The consern is that Benson is paid alot of money. T.J. is worth alot to, but I don't see the Bears trading him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread