What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joseph Addai, RB, LSU - How good is he? (1 Viewer)

SammyJankis

Footballguy
I was thumbing through the Sporting News NFL Draft Preview yesterday. Looking at Pompei's ratings and he had Joseph Addai as the #2 RB behind Bush, but ahead of D'Angelo Williams, Lawrence Maroney and a good bit ahead of Lendale White.

How good is Addai? He is one of the few RBs I haven't seen play live of the top prospects. My understanding to date was that Bush was #1 with a bullet and that Williams, Maroney and White were all in the running to be the 2nd RB off the board in the late first round.

I had always considered Addai one of those guys in the "next tier" of RBs in this draft. However, I popped over to Great Blue North and they have Addai ranked as the #42 overall prospect.

So how good of a prospect is Addai? How high do you see him going and is there any chance he could come off the board before D. Williams or Maroney?

Some people whose opinions I respect like him a lot more than me.

I guess he gets a bump for being excellent in pass protection.

He has great speed.

He has nice hands.

He has good size.

He is a top top character guy. Bright, hardworking, team leader.

What's not to like?

He's not very productive. He didn't separate himself from other RBs at LSU. He ran for a pedestrian YPC with a solid line. Other backs were better with lesser lines facing the same teams. I don't see the wiggle he gets credit for. I don't see the vision he gets credit for. I don't see much power, or a willingness to take on defenders. He was criticized for a couple days at the Senior Bowl for taking everything outside, not hitting holes between the tackles, and not running hard. He took the criticism well, and ended up doing everything they asked, making a nice impression that has just been getting stronger because of his combination of solid attributes. Pretty flawless guy from a point by point scouting report. I think something is missing.

He has great speed.

He has nice hands.

He has good size.

What's not to like?

He's not very productive. He didn't separate himself from other RBs at LSU. He ran for a pedestrian YPC with a solid line. Other backs were better with lesser lines facing the same teams. I don't see the wiggle he gets credit for. I don't see the vision he gets credit for. I don't see much power, or a willingness to take on defenders. He was criticized for a couple days at the Senior Bowl for taking everything outside, not hitting holes between the tackles, and not running hard. He took the criticism well, and ended up doing everything they asked, making a nice impression that has just been getting stronger because of his combination of solid attributes. Pretty flawless guy from a point by point scouting report. I think something is missing.
sounds like a poor man's ronnie brown.

When I saw Addai play he seemed to lack that runners instict that it takes to stay alive in the NFL.

If I had to compare him to an NFL RB I'd say Dominic Rhodes.

He has great speed.

He has nice hands.

He has good size.

What's not to like?

sounds like a poor man's ronnie brown.
Nothing wrong with that. A poor man's Ronnie Brown could be a pretty good player.

I have seen almost all of his games, and the Dominic Rhodes comparison is fair with regards to his talent. He doesn't have great moves or great vision but fights hard for every yard and can fly through a hole if it is there. The thing I loved about him is that he treats every play as if it's the game winning play in a championship game. He will outwork everyone on the field. He does everything a coach will ask him to do, and is as good a blocker as advertised. He is very much a team player.

I was reading the Sporting News draft issue yesterday as well and noticed how high they were on Addai.

I was impressed with his inside running the 1st time I saw Addai at LSU, but was underwelmed with his Senior Bowl game, he just didn't show much there.

They also have Demetrius Williams as their #1 WR!?

FWIW they had Fason as a 1st rounder laster year and the 4th RB off the board.

He has great speed.

He has nice hands.

He has good size.

What's not to like?

That something is usually vision; the attribute that made Curtis Martin a HOF without great physical skills. It is usually the least talked about because it is subjective, but it is truly a critical component of success.

Hijack, but this could be a very astute call. The top tier guys have very little on a few of the second tier guys. I mentioned Demetrius as a guy I would wait for before drafting Holmes or Jackson so early. Back to Addai. I like what psychobillies reports. If he does fight for yardage and play with so much heart, and I have no reason to question someone who's seen every game, then I'm happy to move him up my rankings some. I have him lower than just about anyone out there, and I'm not comfortable being the outlier, because I really like Addai's intangibles. He's the kind of guy you want to succeed. So solid and likeable, coachable and hardworking.

I am beginning to think that if the Colts do go RB in round 1, Addai could be stongly considered alongside Maroney. Addai has been mentioned as the best combo of receiving and blocking availabe. If the ratings for running for both are close for Indy, they could go for the better fit for a passing offense.

Hijack, but this could be a very astute call. The top tier guys have very little on a few of the second tier guys. I mentioned Demetrius as a guy I would wait for before drafting Holmes or Jackson so early.
Williams upside is there with any WR in the draft. I see a lot of Brandon Lloyd in him, but also a little of Chad Johnson.

Hijack, but this could be a very astute call. The top tier guys have very little on a few of the second tier guys. I mentioned Demetrius as a guy I would wait for before drafting Holmes or Jackson so early.
Williams upside is there with any WR in the draft. I see a lot of Brandon Lloyd in him, but also a little of Chad Johnson.
Agree with the Johnson comparison. I think he's kind of a lesser Darrell Jackson/Chad Johnson combo.

The only question I have is will he be able to handle the physical corners. I have the same question about Holmes though. So give me Manny Lawson or DeMeco Ryans or Tye Hill in the first round, and I'll pick a WR to work with in camp later.

He was criticized for a couple days at the Senior Bowl for taking everything outside, not hitting holes between the tackles, and not running hard. He took the criticism well, and ended up doing everything they asked
Sounds like a very good thing to me.

I am beginning to think that if the Colts do go RB in round 1, Addai could be stongly considered alongside Maroney. Addai has been mentioned as the best combo of receiving and blocking availabe. If the ratings for running for both are close for Indy, they could go for the better fit for a passing offense.
Agree with this. If Polian does go RB at #30 (and that is far from a given), I've felt for some time that Addai comes the closest to "his" prototypical, mult-faceted RB.

Season tickets to LSU. LSU is a RBC school. Injuries and his development changed that last year. Did more at LSU then Dominick Davis. Comes up big in big games. Not as good as Williams but as good as Maroney. Would not be surprised if he was the third RB picked and he would fit the Colts offense perfectly. Solid late first or early second round pick. Like all players, his fantasy value will depend on what team drafts him.

As compelling as the argument for Addai is (well-rounded, work ethic), I would still take Maroney over him for the Colts. Maroney is more talented running the ball. You can pair him with a Shawn Bryson type if his blocking and receiving never come around. I actually think Maroney can round into a nice receiver if there's some coaching attention. He looked pretty natural the few times the Gophers asked him to catch out of the backfield. I would rather go with the natural RB and develop him into the complete package than go with the guy who is already a complete package, but has limited upside as a pure runner. Maroney can take over games and salt them away, Im not sure Addai can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen almost all of his games, and the Dominic Rhodes comparison is fair with regards to his talent. He doesn't have great moves or great vision but fights hard for every yard and can fly through a hole if it is there. The thing I loved about him is that he treats every play as if it's the game winning play in a championship game. He will outwork everyone on the field. He does everything a coach will ask him to do, and is as good a blocker as advertised. He is very much a team player.
If he's only got "Dominic Rhodes"-level talent, why would he be drafted in the first round? Much less drafted at all? Dominic Rhodes was undrafted. You'd hope that Addai would have much more talent than Dominic Rhodes. Being compared to Dominic Rhodes is an insult, not a compliment! Moreover (referring to another post in this thread), since the Colts already have Dominic Rhodes, exactly why would they want his football-twin?

As compelling as the argument for Addai is (well-rounded, work ethic), I would still take Maroney over him for the Colts. Maroney is more talented running the ball. You can pair him with Shawn Bryson type if his blocking and receiving never come around. I actually Maroney can round into a nice receiver if there's some coaching attention. He looked pretty natural the few times the Gophers asked him to catch out of the backfield. I would rather go with the natural RB and develop him into the complete package than go with the guy who is already a complete package, but has limited upside as a pure runner.
I question what makes you think Addai has "limited upside" as a runner. A "complete package" means he is a good runner. Sounds like Vince vs. Matt QB debate to me. Go with the one who is ready to play.

As compelling as the argument for Addai is (well-rounded, work ethic), I would still take Maroney over him for the Colts. Maroney is more talented running the ball. You can pair him with Shawn Bryson type if his blocking and receiving never come around. I actually Maroney can round into a nice receiver if there's some coaching attention. He looked pretty natural the few times the Gophers asked him to catch out of the backfield. I would rather go with the natural RB and develop him into the complete package than go with the guy who is already a complete package, but has limited upside as a pure runner.
I question what makes you think Addai has "limited upside" as a runner. A "complete package" means he is a good runner. Sounds like Vince vs. Matt QB debate to me. Go with the one who is ready to play.
He is a "good" runner. Im not sure that he's a gifted runner. I think Maroney could be one.Maroney has shown better running instincts (cutting/vision) and breakaway ability during games. Addai might be timed faster, but I think Maroney played faster. I don't think Addai's cuts are as sudden or decisive as Maroney's, and I don't think his vision is at Maroney's level either.

As compelling as the argument for Addai is (well-rounded, work ethic), I would still take Maroney over him for the Colts. Maroney is more talented running the ball. You can pair him with Shawn Bryson type if his blocking and receiving never come around. I actually Maroney can round into a nice receiver if there's some coaching attention. He looked pretty natural the few times the Gophers asked him to catch out of the backfield. I would rather go with the natural RB and develop him into the complete package than go with the guy who is already a complete package, but has limited upside as a pure runner. Maroney can take over games and salt them away, Im not sure Addai can.
Funny cause I could see Addai as the Bryson type if he doesn't have the vision or "it" value. He'll still have good speed, be a solid blocker, good reciever and well coached team player.

In limited viewings I don't see much in him either.

My LSU buddy, always gave the thumbs down on him as well.

I think he is getting a lot of credit pre-draft for possibly going to INDY.

I could see Indy picking him before Maroney or LenDale if both still available, making him the #3RB to go.

I was thumbing through the Sporting News NFL Draft Preview yesterday. Looking at Pompei's ratings and he had Joseph Addai as the #2 RB behind Bush, but ahead of D'Angelo Williams, Lawrence Maroney and a good bit ahead of Lendale White.

How good is Addai? He is one of the few RBs I haven't seen play live of the top prospects. My understanding to date was that Bush was #1 with a bullet and that Williams, Maroney and White were all in the running to be the 2nd RB off the board in the late first round.

I had always considered Addai one of those guys in the "next tier" of RBs in this draft. However, I popped over to Great Blue North and they have Addai ranked as the #42 overall prospect.

So how good of a prospect is Addai? How high do you see him going and is there any chance he could come off the board before D. Williams or Maroney?
Dan Pompei's article was odd...I have no problem with his rankings being against the consensus. But the format of the article was done by round, implying where Pompei thought each player would be drafted. And by that measure, his rankings are a complete debacle. He has Charlie Whitehurst as a 1st rounder, Joe Addai as RB2 and a 1st rounder, Tye Hill as a 2nd rounder, Elvis Dumervil as a 2nd rounder, Darryl Tapp as the 2nd DE taken (1st rounder), Leonard Pope as a 3rd rounder (TE7), Demetrius Williams as the top wideout... :tfp:

Addai may not have completely separated himself as a RB at LSU, but I wouldn't say that is at all a bad thing. He played in a crowded backfield, and for the most part, a coach who didn't believe in playing just one back. The surprising thing about Addai was that he became one of LSU's most dependable receivers. He has excellent hands and instincts coming out of the backfield, and is always looking for extra yardage. He was never shy about contact at LSU.

Last year may have seemed kind of pedestrian, but he showed his true colors against Miami in the Peach. He was plagued all year by a high ankle sprain, and the team in general was handicapped by the hurricanes - may not seem like a big deal, but when every player loses an average of 10 pounds in the first two weeks of the season, it's not a good thing. They faught exhaustion and finally were rested.

He is not a home-run threat, but neither was Edge in Indy. He's a tough runner who will hit the hole hard, but doesn't really juke the second-level guys. He usually finds contact because he does not having the lateral quickness of many backs. As others have mentioned, he's excellent in protection. He's just got great football instincts and he's a solid kid.

Having said all that, most LSU fans will tell you they were shocked to see his 40 times at the combine. He rarely got a chance to show his speed at LSU, and the NFL loves the measurables....so he definitely made himself quite a bit of money that day.

Addai may not have completely separated himself as a RB at LSU, but I wouldn't say that is at all a bad thing. He played in a crowded backfield, and for the most part, a coach who didn't believe in playing just one back. The surprising thing about Addai was that he became one of LSU's most dependable receivers. He has excellent hands and instincts coming out of the backfield, and is always looking for extra yardage. He was never shy about contact at LSU.

Last year may have seemed kind of pedestrian, but he showed his true colors against Miami in the Peach. He was plagued all year by a high ankle sprain, and the team in general was handicapped by the hurricanes - may not seem like a big deal, but when every player loses an average of 10 pounds in the first two weeks of the season, it's not a good thing. They faught exhaustion and finally were rested.

He is not a home-run threat, but neither was Edge in Indy. He's a tough runner who will hit the hole hard, but doesn't really juke the second-level guys. He usually finds contact because he does not having the lateral quickness of many backs. As others have mentioned, he's excellent in protection. He's just got great football instincts and he's a solid kid.

Having said all that, most LSU fans will tell you they were shocked to see his 40 times at the combine. He rarely got a chance to show his speed at LSU, and the NFL loves the measurables....so he definitely made himself quite a bit of money that day.
Addai showed the best speed of any of the top five backs during the combine....

I have Addai as the #4 RB, much higher on him than Maroney.

------------------------------------------------------

First round RBs:

1. Bush - Can do everything well.

2a. Williams - some injury concerns, but definitely not attitude. The guy can do most everything well. Performed at a high level for a long time. He is the draft's "steady-eddie" as he's not the flashiest, nor the strongest. He just gets the job done.

2b. White - The man-boobs may have immaturity issues, but the boy is a player on the field. The yards after initial touch are no joke. Depending on which stat you use, he was better than Bush in certain areas.

4. Addai - another well rounded player. I'm just scared he's another workout warrior / combine riser like Justin Fargas was. Has a somewhat upright running style instead of lowering his center of gravity. He could be the last first round RB taken or he may fall to round 2.

Second round RBs:

5. Maroney - Only 2 things going for Maroney in my book are that he could land in a good situation and he has a very nice 2nd gear. I fully expect him to be slow to produce in the NFL since he is afraid to block, runs upright, doesn't catch well, needs a huge hole to run through, and is a twig man. Hammy problems already and I expect plenty of ankle problems in the NFL.

6. Drew - Can catch, accelerate, and has moves. Bad thing is that he's pretty dang small in stature, otherwise he'd be above Maroney on the list. Destined for kick-off duty unless the right team takes him (example: Atlanta). Runs low to the ground and not because he's so short.

Third round RBs:

7. Calhoun - story of the draft... another undersized RB with good skills. He can accelerate and turn on a dime, good hands, and good route runner. Has problems blocking and breaking tackles.

8. Norwood - Not that he really deserves to be a third round pick, just that there aren't many bigger backs to be taken (and he's not really a big guy). Straight line runner with a quick "off the ball" move. Has some wiggle to make opponents miss, but doesn't break many tackles. A decent project RB to work with though.

Its kind of hard for your 4.4 speed to be an asset if you're not elusive.
touche'If he is picked before White and Maroney, do you think he being drafted too high? I could see Indy passing up White for him, but Maroney and Addai still on the board, who knows...both could fit in well.

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. To clarify, he has to get past the second-level to take it to the house....and that is where he has his most difficulty. He has excellent open-field speed, but it's getting to that open-field that's the problem. His feet are a huge asset after contact, but not really before.

touche'If he is picked before White and Maroney, do you think he being drafted too high? I could see Indy passing up White for him, but Maroney and Addai still on the board, who knows...both could fit in well.
Yes, I think he's drafted too high as RB2 or RB3. I appreciate his well rounded skill set, however those skills can be developed. What can't be developed is the set natural instincts for running the football (cutting/vision/suddenness). If I'm taking an RB in the first, I'm taking one who will provide better production in the running game than an average NFL RB, and sign a quality 3rd down back in FA (which comes much cheaper than a quality chain mover).

None of this is to knock Addai. He's going to be a quality NFL RB and help his team win games. I just don't see him as a first round quality RB.

I have seen almost all of his games, and the Dominic Rhodes comparison is fair with regards to his talent.  He doesn't have great moves or great vision but fights hard for every yard and can fly through a hole if it is there.  The thing I loved about him is that he treats every play as if it's the game winning play in a championship game.  He will outwork everyone on the field.  He does everything a coach will ask him to do, and is as good a blocker as advertised.  He is very much a team player.
If he's only got "Dominic Rhodes"-level talent, why would he be drafted in the first round? Much less drafted at all? Dominic Rhodes was undrafted. You'd hope that Addai would have much more talent than Dominic Rhodes. Being compared to Dominic Rhodes is an insult, not a compliment! Moreover (referring to another post in this thread), since the Colts already have Dominic Rhodes, exactly why would they want his football-twin?
I didn't mean to imply that they are the exact same player. I meant to compare his elusiveness and vision to that of Rhodes. I think he could be a quality back in most situations, and would take him over Rhodes any day due to his toughness, effort and speed.Like jogima said, I will admit that I was suprised when he ran THAT fast at the combine.

Users who are viewing this thread