What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julius Jones (1 Viewer)

Kevin Jones, Stephen Jackson, Tatum Bell and Julius Jones all have a lot of value right now. He's at a minimum top 4.

It's all about opportunity and Jones (both of them! :-) will be getting alot!Bell in Denver is awesome too!Some talented RBs are falling in the right places this year! ( Alot better than last! )

Kevin Jones, Stephen Jackson, Tatum Bell and Julius Jones all have a lot of value right now. He's at a minimum top 4.
Julius is by far in the better position as far as teams go. Jackson will sit behind faulk until marshall decides to leave. That could be atlest 2 or 3 years. KJones has Mooch for a coach (nuff said) and is in a RBBC environment with Piner and Bryson.Bell who I thought was undervalued on these boards is going to a team that has QDod and hearst. Alot of ?? there.I hate to say it but if i had the top pick in a rookie draft and needed a RB it would be Julius over the other 3. How sad is that. :(

I don't play much Dynasty, but if I had the #1 rookie pick it would be Kevin Jones in a landslide.

I think Steven Jackson will be playing a lot sooner than people realize. None of the four RB's landed in great situations, but all of them landed in respectable situations. Julius Jones and Kevin Jones look like opening day starters. Jackson is behind a brittle, aging veteran. Bell will have every opportunity to win the starting job in Denver.

Julius in redraft just shot up to something like RB20. In dynasty... I have no idea how dynasty rookie drafts are going to shake out this year. 1.05 isn't looking so horrible any more with about six RBs who are either really good or in really good situations.

After today, my picks 11 and 12 in my dynasty league rookie draft just became a TON more valuable!!With Bell and Julius Jones going where they did, it just pushed a stud QB or stud WR down to that spot. I know that they aren't as valuable as the RB's but my chances of landing a star player were just increased greatly! I also hold picks 17 and 18, and should be able to get great value there as well.

Julius in redraft just shot up to something like RB20. In dynasty... I have no idea how dynasty rookie drafts are going to shake out this year. 1.05 isn't looking so horrible any more with about six RBs who are either really good or in really good situations.
Not sure he's top 20, but he could be when all is said and done. You have to immediately project him as the Cowboys starter with a good chunk of the team's carries. Bell could arguably be the most productive rookie RB, but we need to better understand his role in Denver with Q-Dog and Hearst in tow.

Jones has Mooch for a coach (nuff said) and is in a RBBC environment with Piner and Bryson.
So you're saying that Mooch is a bad coach? Or that he runs RBBC? Maybe it's cause he had HEARST/BARLOW, I hardly compare Bryson & Pinner to either Hearst or Barlow. :rotflmao:

I don't think the Cowboys are surely done at RB, so, sorry for the pun with the Cowboys, let's hold our horses here. I know Dallas has been linked to just about every running back rumor there is and many deals have been beaten, damn, sorry again :P dead like a horse. But Lamont Jordan is still there. Anthony Thomas is still there. William Green is certainly not safe staying in Cleveland. With the extra picks Dallas robbed Buffalo of, hell, trade for 2005 free agent Shaun Alexander. Far fetched there... but ... Travis Henry or McGahee could be had for the right price. Michael Bennett and Onterrio Smith (not to mention Moe Williams) make for a crowded backfield in Minnesota. Curtis Martin has played for Parcells, on two different teams and Tuna drafted him. That's far fetched but.... there are a few options.Let's look at thistoo. Troy Hambrick, as bad as he sucked, is still with the team... Cason resigned... Anderson gets some 3rd down looks as the tailback.There are some decent enough free agents out there that could help the team. James Stewart. Antowain Smith. Amos Zereoue. Eddie George could change teams.Trung Canidate or Ladell Betts could get cut or traded to Tuna...I don't think they go in blindly and expect Julius to carry the full load all year. They could still bring in a guy (or two) to help out. Or maybe to supplant Jones. He's going to make too many rookie mistakes to be a 300 carry type guy (not to mention that his body might not support that either). That Julius flunked out of school and had to sit a year says he would be a canidate for rookie errors. I don't think Parcells would live with that all year without having another guy to throw in, at least for when might be pissed off at Julius. His history at Notre Dame leads you to question his maturity, character, and intelligence.And, Julius has not proved anything yet in the NFL, so his first year will be an experiment of sorts. 2004 may not be the stuff dreams are made of. To further speculate on top of this and assume he'll be a great starter or franchise back in year 2, 3, 4 and beyond for our keeper/dynasty purposes is sketchy. 2004 is sketchy, even though it's loaded with an ideal type opportunityfor Julius.Let's say he has a great 2004 season, they only bring in some marginal guys to help out and he's the best they've got. There's reason to believe the Cowboys could bring in a better guy next year through free agency, a trade, or the draft if Julius is not standout material. Let's face it, not many people believe Julius is greatly different than any number of guys who've already played in the NFL. He could surprise, but nobody truly expects a surefire 2nd round miracle, aka, Clinton Portis, now.I think the Boys should have taken Jackson, :eek: but I think they made out way, way better, potentially Leaps and Bounds, this trade got you to the Super Bowl better, in the trade, in the long run. :excited: Buffalo could fall down this year and the Boys could get a super high #1 next year. Heck, they'd be thrilled if Buffalo picked #12 again next year.I don't see how Buffalo has greatly improved their team for 2004, especially in two very key areas, on the offensive side of the ball and in the defensive pass rush area. Yeah, they got Lee Evans, possibly a big reach at #13, especially in this WR rich draft, who will probably not make a huge difference for them in 2004 as WR's usually need a couple-few years to acclimate. And, they spent the #1 from Dallas on a project QB. Losman is pretty close to being a punk, if not one, and he has maybe 3-5 years before he's ready for several aspects of the NFL life and game. Sadly, the team's offensive improvement may have to come from their coaching staff and they have their work cut out for them as they have essentailly the same Offensive Unit that didn't come close to getting it done last year. I think they'd have been better served going DE for some pass rush production to help the team out in a critical area and sitting on a WR later. It's hard to imagine the latter part of their draft class, second round, third round, and second day picks, especially in this day when the 350th best player has a book printed on him, making game changing impacts. Not as many guys fall through the cracks and while some of the gamble boom or bust players there will blossom, they are risky for a reason, they are most often more marginal talents in the long run. For every Tom Brady drafted in the Sixth round, there are 30 other guys drafted in that round that end up as faceless players on the 49 man roster to the average fan. not stars. The Buffalo Bills already have some pass rushers they've drafted later in the draft and they've not turned out to much so far. I doubt the Bills will have improved defensively through the draft this year, and overall, without much free agency help and the departure of a stud CB like Antoine Winfield, they could regress even.The Cowboys gave up one chance to be significantly better this year by passing on Steven Jackson who many, if not most, people had as the best back on the board. But if Jones doesn't help significantly in improving the fortune of the team, the Cowboys have bitten the bullet here for 2004 and are poised to do great things with the fantastic trade they've made with Buffalo. This trade is significant. Potentially it's amazing. Go Cowboys!!!!! In maybe, not definetely if Julius Jones can be a stud, swallowing some pride in 2004, something most teams won't do as their is too much pressure and too many motivations for the "Just win -(NOW)- baby"approach, the Cowboys have set themselves up for a enormously better chance at an amazing player with Buffalo's 2005 1st round pick. This is a risky trade for the Bills. If they finish 22nd or worst the value numbers are overwhelmingly in favor of the Cowboys. Even if they win the Super Bowl next year, granting the Cowboys the 32nd pick, the value numbers are overwhelmingly in favor of the Cowboys still. The Bills are trying to resurrect the career of a 30-something year old quarterback with mobility problems. They have an offensive line lacking in talent and success in deterring pass rushers. They have an aging star WR in Eric Moulds who struggled immensely in staying on the field in 2003 and catching passes subsequently when on it. They have long odds to face if they expect Lee Evans to star in his first year. The defense was ignored early and has not improved on paper here. Wow. What if Bledsoe gets injured and the Bills have to throw J.P. Losman into the mix in his first year? What if Takeo Spikes and Nate Clements go down? They could presently be holding the #1 pick in the 2005 draft. Go Cowboys!!!!!This possibly could be the worst trade in NFL history. And The Bills get J.P. Losman?I doubt Losman, who I think needs a major attitude adjustment from the biggest, strongest, rankest, meanest, nastiest, and dirtiest of defensive lineman to knock him out of his cocksure ways, will ever live up to justify this trade - especially if the Boys get a great pick, which is already guaranteed as it will be no worse than the last in Round One. It already has the potential for being the #1 overall and the Cowboys could take the best college football player in the land. Immediately, just on paper, without the benefit of knowing who these players will be, the trade is a frightening success. Speculatively, this trade could win the Cowboys a Super Bowl. A #1 overall can change a franchises' history.Most relevantly, in this discussion of Julius Jones and his prospects, the trade would be dreamlike if Julius were to turn to be an excellent running back. Lastly, our fairy tale would be complete if the other trade considerations Dallas received turned out to be momentous, the Cowboys turn into a great team subsequently, the team then enables a spectacularly productive running game to emerge, Julius Jones becomes an excellent running back in the system, and fantasy players have our happily- ever-after ending, something we all want, the #1 Running Back in Fantasy Football. Well, to rain on the parade, I still wouldn't be surprised to see Amos Zereoue with a Dallas jersey on also in 2004. ha, ha , ha

might be pissed off at Julius. His history at Notre Dame leads you to question his maturity, character, and intelligence.
---you said this....Bills take:
"I think he's a pretty-well rounded back," Parcells said of his newest running back. "He's quick, elusive and sees it well. And he's a high-character player. That's important to me."
--Parcells :rolleyes: Second I think you are way off on thinking they will get famous Amos who failed in Pitt as the starter behind a 1990's BUSEddie George/Curtis Martin??? LOL yea and maybe we can get Earl Campbell too! Those guys are older than dirt. If they wanted old they woulda kept Emmitt.For the love of god why would we want Shaun Alexander? That guys goes down easier than Marvin Harrison staring at Ronnie Lott. No thanks.Im not trying to gang up on you or insult you but i think you are way off. Sorry just mho

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think they go in blindly and expect Julius to carry the full load all year. They could still bring in a guy (or two) to help out. Or maybe to supplant Jones. He's going to make too many rookie mistakes to be a 300 carry type guy (not to mention that his body might not support that either). That Julius flunked out of school and had to sit a year says he would be a canidate for rookie errors. I don't think Parcells would live with that all year without having another guy to throw in, at least for when might be pissed off at Julius. His history at Notre Dame leads you to question his maturity, character, and intelligence.And, Julius has not proved anything yet in the NFL, so his first year will be an experiment of sorts. 2004 may not be the stuff dreams are made of. To further speculate on top of this and assume he'll be a great starter or franchise back in year 2, 3, 4 and beyond for our keeper/dynasty purposes is sketchy. 2004 is sketchy, even though it's loaded with an ideal type opportunityfor Julius.
I'm going to disagree with you here. Yes, he was academically ineligible, at a school that a lot of the players in the draft wouldn't even make the academic requirements to get into, let alone be able to stay eligible at.He spent the season off working academically to regain his eligibility, and working out with Thomas Jones. He showed back up his senior year more muscular and in better shape than he'd ever been. How many players did we hear about who showed up at the combine or at their pro days out of football shape, when they knew their draft position could be on the line? Yet Jones put in the time during a whole year off to improve himself. That's work ethic, the kind of thing Parcells wants to see in his players. Yeah, he screwed up, but he showed character in how he dealt with it, and made himself better for having been through it.Yes, he's going to make some rookie mistakes. His blitz pickup is going to need some work, and frankly he isn't the brightest guy in the world. I'm sure he'll be in Parcell's doghouse a few times, but Julius Jones hits the hole hard, has good enough speed to turn the corner... and most importantly, he's got good enough moves to make the first guy miss.I think he's going to do very well in Parcell's style of offense.

I think the trade Dallas made was definitly in thier favor and the Bills motivations so far questionable.But the thing that I think many people fail to recognise is that Parcells probobly did not really think Steven Jackson or Kevin Jones are that good. If he did he would have taken one of them. Instead he takes this great trade all the while knowing that these rbs are not clearly any better than the likes of Chris Perry Julius Jones and perhaps even Bell Cobbs or Turner.Then Dallas gets to thier next pick and they take Julius Jones who they must have felt was the best rb available and perhaps the most well rounded.So how can anyone say that Steven Jackson or Kevin Jones are clearly so much better than Julius Jones as to warrant passing on a trade like this?It seems obvious to me that the Tuna did not think so and I think Parcells knows a bit more about football than anyone here.I am intersted in making comparisons between Curtis Martin and Julius Jones at this point and see if there is some commonality between them.Bottom line is Parcells sees somthing in Julius that perhaps the rest of us have not recognised yet.

:rolleyes: Second I think you are way off on thinking they will get famous Amos who failed in Pitt as the starter behind a 1990's BUS
just for the record, I don't think Zeroue is a bad back, he's proven effective in some situations... he looked pretty good the year before playing with Bettisthe Steelers and a lot of people were excited about him... he was a useful player to say he's a failure is an exaggeration IMO. I'd have him on my team... maybe not as a #1 feature back but one I'd definetely feel comfortable working in in certain situations... especially for third downs, the guy's pretty good catching the ballI think the fact that the whole Steelers Offense struggled in 2003 contributed mightily to his struggles, the line sucked, Maddox struggled subsequently, and the defense was a sieve, contributing more pressure to an offense that had problems already, it was cyclicalI think he would work nicely with Jones, Julius will need help I think, heck, Priest Holmes even gets a blow for 1 series usuallyI'M ALSO NOT PREDICTING A.Z. WILL BE IN A COWBOYS UNIFORM NEXT YEARJust an example of a guy Dallas would at least bring in for a look... Maybe they keep both Hambrick and Cason with Anderson, I don't know...A.Z. will be around for a few more years, he can help a team somewhere...

well, we can debate his character, intelligence, and maturity a lot, and maybe tomorrow I will... but athletes get a tutor for damn near every subject... Notre Dame is a tough school neverthless...but he was bad enough to be ineligible... what was he doing the whole semester? and this guy has a brother who "breaks his hand hanging up the phone"Larry Fitzgerald is a high character guy... Jonathan Vilma is a high character guy... any guy who flunked out of school with a full scholarship, with every resource known to God available to him, a guy with a pending NFL career ahead of him... a guy that let down the 100 or so guys on the Notre Dame football team...well, you call Julius Jones a "high character" guy and it's an insult to guys that really lay themselves on the line like Fitz and Vilma... I read an article about Vilma and between the time he spent on school and in football the guy didn't have enough time to sleep... he only got like tops 5-6 hours a night... I gotta figure when I'm in class all day, then have to go hit 300 pounds guys for 3 hours after that I'm pretty tired... he prioritized school and football, probably school first... he graduated with a 3.5 in finance...I'm not saying Julius Jones doesn't have character - I'm saying he's not a "HIGH CHARACTER" guynevertheless, there are just a few concerns about the guy, possibly many, football and personal

KJones has Mooch for a coach (nuff said) and is in a RBBC environment with Piner and Bryson.
don't see this at all. the lions thought about taking kevin jones at no. 6, but didn't because they saw a lack of teams taking RBs this year. tom rathman, the RB coach for the lions, absolutely loves this kid. kevin jones was a heisman trophy candidate ... what the heck have pinner or bryson ever done? i don't see this as RBBC at all. if jones signs, goes to all the camps, he will be the leading rusher among rookies this year and probably win rookie of the year.as for julius jones, he's thomas' brother and that's enough to scare me off.

Well I have been doing a bit of digging looking for comonalities between Julius Jones and Curtis Martin. I wish I could find a rookie scouting report on Martin in 1995. If any one can find this I would be very interested to read it. But it has been buried somewhere under 10 years of reporting.Some things I could find though are that they are similar in terms of measurables.Curtis Martin5' 11" 205 lbsI wish I had a 40 time for him thoughJulius Jones5' 10" 217lbs4.47 40 I think this is plenty fast and probobly similar to Martins speedParcells has stated that he likes Jones vision charecter and elusiveness. I wonder about his durability? It seems to me that toughness is a important element in Parcells regards for players. Curtis Martin certainly has toughness but I am uncertain about Julius Jones. Does anyone know if he had significant injuries in College? And did he play through them? Or how did he handle such situations?looking at where both rbs were taken Curtis Martin was the 10th overall rb taken in 1995 with pick 10 in the 3rd round or 74th overall. Now Julius Jones has been taken 11th in the 2nd round or 43rd overall. And perhaps what is more significant than Jones being taken earlier than Martin was is that he is the 1st player taken by Parcells in 2004 where as Curtis Martin was the 3rd selection made by Parcells in 1995. But this does show a trend also I think in that Parcells does not look for the same things in a rb to fit his system or ideal for the position as other scouts or draft gurus do. But we all know how much opportunity he gives his rbs.Coming into this draft I was a bit leery of Julius Jones as a prospect primarily because of the performance of his brother. But now I am looking for as much information about him as I can gather. Because I cannot think of many players who are in a more coveted position than Julius Jones is right now if he does indeed become Parcells workhorse.

To set the record straight, yes, Julius messed up in his first stint at ND. But, if you think ND just let Julius back in on a lark, you're very sadly mistaken. Jones, not only went to ASU during his hiatus from ND, but excelled in the classroom. Oh yeah, he also made the Dean's list at ND and will graduate on time. Jones is a very high character guy, who passed on his lessons to the other players on the ND team. When he was clearly the better player in the first three games of the season, he didn't whine and cry about playing time even though he was far outplaying Grant. He waited his turn, won over his teammates (including Grant) and went on to have nearly the best season in ND history while playing just over 7 games as a starter. Jones worked his ### off while at ASU, mostly thanks to his brother who told him he could come there ONLY if he followed his schedule. Jones followed his brother to 6 a.m. workouts every day prior to going to class. He showed up at ND during the 2002 season his own, paying for his own ticket to stand on the sidelines supporting his teammates. He will be a solid NFL player cause he'll work for it. He's learned the lessons of complacency and isn't likely to repeat them. I'm just sorry he was drafted by Dallas, even though that's probably a good fit scheme and personnel wise. I just detest the Cowpokes and their overblown bravado. America's team phooey.

But this does show a trend also I think in that Parcells does not look for the same things in a rb to fit his system or ideal for the position as other scouts or draft gurus do.
While you may be 100% on with this statement, I am not convinced that J.Jones was the RB that Parcels was after from the get go. If he had taken J.J. before K.J. and Bell etc. I'd be more inclined to believe it. There seems to be some neccessity/options dwindling in this one. Now Jones may turn out to be a perennial pro-bowler but I think Bill was caught off guard here by the Rams & Bengels drafting Jackson & Perry in the 1st, which may in turn have forced Detroit to trade up and grab K.Jones as well and then T.Bell is off the board two picks before his 2nd rounder. Just my .02 Penguin

While you may be 100% on with this statement, I am not convinced that J.Jones was the RB that Parcels was after from the get go. If he had taken J.J. before K.J. and Bell etc. I'd be more inclined to believe it.
You may be right, but I don't like the reasoning. It would've been stupid to draft Jones above his "perceived" value just to prove a point.

You may be right, but I don't like the reasoning. It would've been stupid to draft Jones above his "perceived" value just to prove a point.
Shawn, You are 100% right there. It's getting late and my thoughts are getting "foggy" :sleep: I think the point I was trying to convey was that I find it hard to believe that J.Jones was the top value pick on the Cowboys board prior to the draft. I think Parcells didn't expect 4 RB's to go off the board between picks 23 - 42 (he knew Buffalo was taking Losman at #22) The Rams & Bengels picks had to catch him a little off guard. Hey, who knows, Julius might wind up being the best Jones ever to tote the rock. I just think when the Cowboys made that trade with the Bills (and it was a great value trade in my mind btw) that they didn't expect to end up with J.J.

I understand your point Penguin and I am kind of trying to figure out the same thing in regards to Julius Jones.It would be hard to figure out how Parcels actualy had all of these rbs ranked coming in to the draft. And I am not saying Julius Jones was the best rb on Parcells board. But I think it may be possible. Or it may just be that Parcells percieved the relative abilities of Julius to be comparable enough to Kevin Jones that he was willing to take the trade offered by the Bills. I certainly do not think he expected Jackson and Jones to still be available with the 43rd pick although he may have thought Perry or Bell might be.Just looking at the measurable though Julius Jones seems like more of a combination of the abilities that Perry and Bell have. He is faster than Perry and may run with more power than Bell. This is all speculation but I could see Parcells possibly still taking Julius Jones even if Perry and Bell had still been available. I somewhat doubt he would have taken Julius Jones over Kevin Jones but I do not think he made this trade thinking he would have that option.I guess my point though is that the Tuna may not have been significantly suprised or dissapointed that the rbs taken before Julius Jones were no longer available. If he were then I expect he would have gone another direction with the pick. And it is not inconcievable for me to think that he may have targeted Julius Jones all along.

Julius JonesHeight: 5-09 Weight: 217 Position: HB College: Notre Dame Drafted: Pick 11 of the 2nd round by Dallas  Career Notes Highly respected athlete who returned to the team with a banner senior campaign after sitting out the 2002 campaign due to academic ineligibility ... Earned All-American mention as a senior, joining his brother, Thomas, who earned All-American honors as a senior in 1999 while leading Virginia in rushing with 1,798 yards (163.45 per game to rank third nationally) that set an Atlantic Coast Conference record. Thomas was the sixth pick in first round of 2000 National Football League draft by the Arizona Cardinals, played for Tampa Bay in 2003 and recently signed with the Chicago Bears ... Julius started 17 of 45 games for the Irish, carrying 634 times for 3,018 yards (4.8 avg) and 26 touchdowns, joining Vagas Ferguson (3,472, 1976-79), Allen Pinkett (4,131, 1982-85) and Autry Denson (4,318, 1995-98) as the only players in school history to gain over 3,000 yards rushing in a career ... His 634 rushing attempts rank fourth in school annals ... Added 250 yards and a score on 28 catches and 426 yards with a touchdown on 38 punt returns (11.2 avg) ... Also had 72 kickoff returns for 1,678 yards (23.3 avg) and a score, breaking the old Irish all-time record of 1,613 yards by Tim Brown (1984-87) ... His total kick return yards of 2,104 broke Brown's previous school record of 2,089 ... His 5,372 all-purpose yards topped the old Notre Dame all-time record of 5,327 by Denson. Analysis Positives: Has an athletic, cut body with well-defined upper and lower frame muscles ... Has quick feet and sudden moves coming out of his stance ... Fast-twitched through the holes, showing the vision to pick and slide as he finds the rush lanes ... His burst allows him to squeeze through holes, as he stays at the proper pad level to gain leverage ... Has enough power to be adequate running inside ... Has the body control to turn the corner, showing good hip swerve to elude and get up field ... Has the vision to read blocks in space ... Effective on screen passes, but has a small window to catch ... Shows a good feel for the underneath pass ... Willing blocker with face-up ability, good toughness and good anchor to sustain ... Can make the big play if given protection until he hits the perimeter ... Good at getting his shoulders square to get up field ... Patient runner who uses his blocks well ... His balance and ability to spot the small seams makes him effective as a returner. Negatives: Not really a self-motivated player and does not take well to hard coaching ... Marginal student who has no problems learning, but is just a little too lazy digesting the play book ... Has adequate power, but not enough to take on defenders one-on-one ... Not mentally tough, letting minor injuries linger ... Just used on screens, as he is a marginal route runner who looks late for the ball ... Needs to protect the ball better and show better anticipation for contact ... Will sometimes run up the back of the offensive lineman, but has enough pick and slide agility to gain yards inside ... Prone to go down from the initial tackle, especially when defenders attack his feet ... Has good foot quickness and change of direction agility, but is not sudden off cuts, gathering himself before accelerating. Injury Report Campus Agility Tests 4.47 in the 40-yard dash ... 345-pound bench press ... Bench presses 225 pounds 16 times ... 37-inch vertical jump ... 4.16 20-yard shuttle ... 31 1/8-inch arm length ... 9 ¼-inch hands ... Right-handed ... Wears contacts ... 16 Wonderlic score. Cheers! :banned: :banned: :banned:

I like Jones, but without reading anyone else's opinions on where he'd go, I thought mid first round and later for Julius in dynasty drafts.1. Kevin Jones2. Fitz3. Roy Williams4. Kellen Winslow Jr. 5. Stephen JacksonI guess you could slip Jones up there somewhere, but remember , this is dynasty. This is "forever," not just this year. Stephen Jackson will get his chance in St. Louis and should do well.To draft Julius Jones just because, isn't a good enough reason. You have to believe he's a good player and a good fit for Dallas, then draft him. If I'm drafting 1.07 and Stephen Jackson is still on the board because of Marshall Faulk, that's just a steal. Marshall Faulk gets hurt every year now, and come weeks, 14 and 15 of this year, you will see Stephen Jackson in the lineup.

Not really a self-motivated player and does not take well to hard coaching ... Marginal student who has no problems learning,Yeah right made the dean's list last year at ND. Willingham isn't your everyday coach that let's people do as they will. He's a taskmaster and Julius had no problems.Not mentally tough, letting minor injuries linger .Played the last two or 3 weeks, possibly longer with an ankle injury that nobody knew about outside of the team. Never complained or used it as an excuse.Needs to protect the ball better and show better anticipation for contact .That may have been true early in his career at ND, but had only a couple of fumbles his senior year.Prone to go down from the initial tackle, especially when defenders attack his feet ..Thomas rarely went down on the first hit and often broke through tackles. Gained a lot of yardage after initial contact including a couple of big gainers. See the Pitt game. What was this service anyway, they obviously didn't do much research.

A fried of mine was telling me that Tuna did not like what he saw when he interviewed Kevin Jones who I guess let his father do all the talking for Kevin. This leads me to conclude that Parcells did not consider Kevin to have the same heart and cofidence as Julius and therefore may not have taken well to Parcells style of coaching.So perhaps Julius was the rb Parcells was targeting all along....

With the extra picks Dallas robbed Buffalo of, hell, trade for 2005 free agent Shaun Alexander. this trade got you to the Super Bowl better, in the trade, in the long run. :excited: Buffalo could fall down this year and the Boys could get a super high #1 next year. Heck, they'd be thrilled if Buffalo picked #12 again next year.I don't see how Buffalo has greatly improved their team for 2004, especially in two very key areas, on the offensive side of the ball and in the defensive pass rush area. Yeah, they got Lee Evans, possibly a big reach at #13, especially in this WR rich draft, who will probably not make a huge difference for them in 2004 as WR's usually need a couple-few years to acclimate. And, they spent the #1 from Dallas on a project QB. Losman is pretty close to being a punk, if not one, and he has maybe 3-5 years before he's ready for several aspects of the NFL life and game. Sadly, the team's offensive improvement may have to come from their coaching staff and they have their work cut out for them as they have essentailly the same Offensive Unit that didn't come close to getting it done last year.
Don't let your Dallas bias or Buffalo hatred be too obvious, someone may think your opinion is a little slanted :lol: Regardless, the only difference between Buffalo's offense last season, and the on before was Peerless Price, and Moulds injury. Evans should immediately provide the deep threat Price was, he's mature, and fast, as long as he stays healthy. McGahee was a non-factor last year, but should provide a needed change of pace at the least at RB. And Sam Wyche is a QB guru, so Bledsoe should improve.I would think Dallas will get a 20-24 pick next year from the Bills, nothing better.And at that expectation, the trade was not a rip off by any stretch of the imagination.Losman may be a punk, but we don't grade NFL players on character, but production. He's got a strong arm, will have a year to learn the ropes, and should be at least decent. But the Bills think he's got all the tools to be a franchise QB, and if so, they end up with a better QB situation than Dallas.

I like Jones, but without reading anyone else's opinions on where he'd go, I thought mid first round and later for Julius in dynasty drafts.1. Kevin Jones2. Fitz3. Roy Williams4. Kellen Winslow Jr. 5. Stephen JacksonI guess you could slip Jones up there somewhere, but remember , this is dynasty. This is "forever," not just this year. Stephen Jackson will get his chance in St. Louis and should do well.To draft Julius Jones just because, isn't a good enough reason. You have to believe he's a good player and a good fit for Dallas, then draft him. If I'm drafting 1.07 and Stephen Jackson is still on the board because of Marshall Faulk, that's just a steal. Marshall Faulk gets hurt every year now, and come weeks, 14 and 15 of this year, you will see Stephen Jackson in the lineup.
On one hand I'm inclined to agree with your rankings, as I'm not very high on Julius.But still, I don't think there's any way on God's green earth that he drops out of the top 5 in a run-of-the-mill dynasty league. Rookie RBs who are virtual locks to start as the featured back from day 1 don't grow on trees, and it is pretty much a sure thing that several of the teams picking in the top 5 will have major problems at RB that need to be addressed. Somebody will reach for him at the top of the draft, hoping he's the next Curtis Martin.

Jackson will sit behind faulk until marshall decides to leave. That could be atlest 2 or 3 years.
Marshall will not play until Marshall decides to leave. Marshall will play until Marshall is no longer the better RB. I doubt that will be 2-3 years. Either way, that shouldn't devalue Jackson too much since you are discussing dynasty value. Jackson will a good amount of carries this year and should be the starter within a year or two.
KJones has Mooch for a coach (nuff said) and is in a RBBC environment with Piner and Bryson.
I disagree Jones will be in a pure RBBC in Detroit. Even if he is a little bit at the beginning, I'll once again point out that you are discussing dynasty value and the presence of Pinner and Bryson right now isn't all that important.
Bell who I thought was undervalued on these boards is going to a team that has QDod and hearst. Alot of ?? there.
Again, in dynasty, it doesn't matter a whole lot who is there right now. I wouldn't hardly consider the fact that Hearst is there. He is of little threat to Bell's dynasty value. Q is a different story, though. I'd guess Bell eventually beats out Q.
I hate to say it but if i had the top pick in a rookie draft and needed a RB it would be Julius over the other 3. How sad is that. :(
I'd gladly trade down to anyone moving up to #1 for Julius.

Redraft:K. Jones - He'll get plenty of touches for a team that needs a runner and is letting its young talent develop.J. Jones - by the bulk of carries alone, he will have value. Ceding many 3rd downs to Anderson will cut into his value some. T. Bell - I expect him to be starting by Week 5.C. Perry - I know I'm in the minority, but I think Perry will get the bulk of the carries and the vast-majority of catches out of the backfield for the Bengals.S. Jackson - Faulk has missed some significant time in recent years. While injuries are impossible to predict, I'd imagine Martz will use Jackson to spell Faulk even when Marshall is healthy.Dynasty:K. Jones - He'll be playing plenty this year, and should be their horse for years to come.S. Jackson - So you have to wait a year or two, big deal. If you want more then 1 stud buzzard feature back on your roster, you either have to sell the farm in a trade or take them early in a dynasty draft and show some patience.J. Jones - He'll be given the opportunity to be Parcells feature piece. THat cannot be ignored.Chris Perry - Like I said, I think Perry will be overlooked and a career on par with Duce Staley is about what I expect, which means he'll be solid for a while.T. Bell - I know Denver RBs are all the rage, but Shannny has shown he isn't averse to parting ways with even the most talented RB. Colin

Marshall will not play until Marshall decides to leave. Marshall will play until Marshall is no longer the better RB. I doubt that will be 2-3 years. Either way, that shouldn't devalue Jackson too much since you are discussing dynasty value. Jackson will a good amount of carries this year and should be the starter within a year or two.
Actually, I think you're wrong. How did Warner amass a 1-8 record over his last 9 starts in the NFL. Because Martz kept throwing him back to the wolves because of some misguided loyalty to the guy. There was something wrong with Warner. His hand was messed up. His passes wobbled all over the place. Yet Martz kept throwing him back in there. Trust me, Faulk will play as long as he wants as long as Martz is the coach. If Martz gets canned, then there may be something to talk about that's different, but I don't see that happening....

Actually, I think you're wrong. How did Warner amass a 1-8 record over his last 9 starts in the NFL. Because Martz kept throwing him back to the wolves because of some misguided loyalty to the guy. There was something wrong with Warner. His hand was messed up. His passes wobbled all over the place. Yet Martz kept throwing him back in there. Trust me, Faulk will play as long as he wants as long as Martz is the coach. If Martz gets canned, then there may be something to talk about that's different, but I don't see that happening....
Well, I may have been a little off by saying Marshall will stop playing when someone else is better, but I certainly don't think it will take 2-3 years of being the second best RB on the team before he loses his job to Jackson. After all, Warner is as good as gone now. You're right that Martz showed a great deal of loyalty to Warner, but he has made the switch to the better player. I don't think he'll take as long with Faulk.

Well, I may have been a little off by saying Marshall will stop playing when someone else is better, but I certainly don't think it will take 2-3 years of being the second best RB on the team before he loses his job to Jackson. After all, Warner is as good as gone now. You're right that Martz showed a great deal of loyalty to Warner, but he has made the switch to the better player. I don't think he'll take as long with Faulk.
I agree with you on the time frame. 2-3 years is pretty optimistic. Faulk is 31. No way he's starting at 33 or 34. No way. But I do believe that he will play beyond when he shouldn't be. I think Faulk finishes the season and Jackson eases in next season. Faulk is pretty level headed. He took less money to stay when he signed his last contract, so maybe he will bow out a little early and not have to put the coaching staff in the position of having to make a tough decision. That being said, Faulk is still a fierce competitor and will probably play longer than he should...

I guess you could slip Jones up there somewhere, but remember , this is dynasty. This is "forever," not just this year.
Hey Cowboy...What kind of Dynasty Leagues are you in? In my league, we have player contracts and a salary cap. The longest a guy can be signed for in my league is 3 years (2 year deal with an option for a 3rd). Dynasty isn't forever. Keeper leagues are. Dynasty imply that extra level of contracts.So, if Marshall bucks the trend and plays 2 more years, this guy is just going to ride the pine except in games that Marshall is injured....

On pure PRIDE alone, Jackson will get a good amount of carries.This was Martz choice. you bet your ### he wants to prove that he knows what he is doing....Jackson gets 25% of the carries on PRIDE alone.

Jackson gets 25% of the carries on PRIDE alone.
What does Jackson's pride have to do with getting onto the football field? I think it should say..."Jackson gets 25% of the carries on FAULK INJURY alone."Colin

What does Jackson's pride have to do with getting onto the football field? I think it should say..."Jackson gets 25% of the carries on FAULK INJURY alone."Colin
They talked to Martz on Sunday about Jackson and Faulk's role.Martz's comment was they they will 'find a way to work him (Jackson) in'.I don't see that being 25% of the carries. I see a series, maybe 2 a game.. just to give Faulk a breather. Jackson may have been the best back on the board.. but he's proven ZERO at the pro level. How many RBS came into the NFL with high hopes and totally TANKED? It's a bit premature to say he gets 25% of Marshall's work load without even hitting practice field with the first team.

If Faulk is healthy, Faulk will be the primary ball carrier - any other thought is naivety and draft day delusion.That said, I think if the Rams miss the playoffs or bow out of the playoffs early again, Faulk will retire after this year. He might be cajoled into returning, but he has no reason in the world to return unless he is at the top of hisgame, healthy, and on a competitive squad.The Rams' end result this year will say a lot to whether Faulk (or for that matter Martz) return in 2005.That said, Jackson is the handcuff to Faulk to hedge against Faulk's annual 3-4 games missed. When Faulk is healthy, Jackson's fantasy value is minimal.

With the #5 overall pick in a dynasty league, I'm hoping Jackson being a backup causes him to drop to me.Colin
Colin, How many guys would you rank above Jackson? I'm sitting at the #1 pick, and was pining for Jackson, but the situation he's in will probably make me go with Kevin Jones instead.

Don't let your Dallas bias or Buffalo hatred be too obvious, someone may think your opinion is a little slanted :lol: Regardless, the only difference between Buffalo's offense last season, and the on before was Peerless Price, and Moulds injury. Evans should immediately provide the deep threat Price was, he's mature, and fast, as long as he stays healthy. McGahee was a non-factor last year, but should provide a needed change of pace at the least at RB. And Sam Wyche is a QB guru, so Bledsoe should improve.I would think Dallas will get a 20-24 pick next year from the Bills, nothing better.And at that expectation, the trade was not a rip off by any stretch of the imagination.Losman may be a punk, but we don't grade NFL players on character, but production. He's got a strong arm, will have a year to learn the ropes, and should be at least decent. But the Bills think he's got all the tools to be a franchise QB, and if so, they end up with a better QB situation than Dallas.
Send security. Someone is using Switz' handle. Were he really here he would not say that Buffalo will be in the top 3rd of NFL records next year not that Loosman does not have some questions behind him.Hey, has anyone considered the value of that #1 pick in light of the inevitable supplemental draft to be held for Clarett?

Hey, has anyone considered the value of that #1 pick in light of the inevitable supplemental draft to be held for Clarett?
Yes. Considering that best case, Clarrett would probably slot in somewhere between G. Jones, Moore, and Cobbs (because he's not that good), the value of the #1 pick would likely stay the same.Colin

With the #5 overall pick in a dynasty league, I'm hoping Jackson being a backup causes him to drop to me.

Colin
I actually have #5 as well, and this has played out quite nicely. I saw the top four rookie picks as K Jones, S Jackson, Roy Williams, and Fitzgerald. Given the draft, I would now say that Julius Jones and Chris Perry make it viable top six (or seven, with Bell). I'm almost hoping the original four go first, since Jackson's backing up for a bit, Jones and Williams will fight with Rogers for TDs in Detroit, and Fitzgerald will fight with the slew of Arizona WRs.

Users who are viewing this thread