What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

just found out a male teacher gave the 5th grade (1 Viewer)

Sounds like you are overreacting to me.
Really? You think male teachers giving goodnight kisses to 10-12 year old girls is normal?
He probably has kids and it is just habit.
I appreciate good shtick, but this isn't the thread for it.
He doesn't say how he found out about this and his daughter is still with this guy sleeping overnight. So he would do what any concerned father would do, go post on a message board. Either he is fishing, it isn't that big of a deal or he is stupid.
fair enough oink oink. I met with the principal about a completely innappropriate situation that this guy was indirectly involved however he was the main school official he was responsible.He being the jackass that he is, confronted me and my wife acting angry and hurt that im causing him harm in his job. Then he informed us that my daughter is not welcome at his house for the end of school party even tho its terrible because he loves my kid and stormed off. Im like dude she is never going anywhere with you again. (A cop friend says anger and denial are signs that something is wrong).It was later in the day one of the parents who was a chaperone told a friend of ours about the goodnight kisses. My daughter admitted that it happened.im meeting with the principal again tmw.
The principal confronted you, or the teacher confronted you?
teacher.

The guy's hosting parties with fifth graders at his house? Does he have a hot tub?Something appears to be very wrong here.
This.

As a teacher all of this is sounding every alarm I can think of.

The best case scenario is this guy isn't a creep/perv but just an absolute moron. Either way he shouldn't be around kids.

I volunteer daily at my daughters public school.

She's in 1st grade I passed a background check and am allowed to work with the kids one on one. That being said, I try to never touch any of the kids, boys or girls.

In my situation The principal is useless. She is most definitely middle management and seems to just be slogging her way to a pension.

In your shoes I would immediately kick it up the food chain, get the district involved ASAP. Before you meet with the principal again. There is something wrong going on, and you as a parent know it. Trust yourself and do what's right and necessary for the safety of your child.

Explain 5th grade camp. ??
great point. Its a new thing I guess. I didnt like the idea. Now I hate it. All fifth graders go camping, teachers and parents chaparrone.
I was a chaperone at one of these when my son was 3rd - 6th grades, held at a YMCA Camp in Charlotte. It was so well received that we threw our own followup at Jordan Lake just for the school. Can't conceive of setting up a situation which would encourage or even enable such a display.

Actually read beyond before posting and would add that unsupervised end of year parties would definitely be unacceptable, and I'm one to file a complaint on record with the school first. ETA I missed that you are beyond that--Board of Education the next step? Police are always in consideration but at that point you're looking to prosecute imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? You think male teachers giving goodnight kisses to 10-12 year old girls is normal?
He doesn't say how he found out about this and his daughter is still with this guy sleeping overnight. So he would do what any concerned father would do, go post on a message board. Either he is fishing, it isn't that big of a deal or he is stupid.
fair enough oink oink. I met with the principal about a completely innappropriate situation that this guy was indirectly involved however he was the main school official he was responsible. He being the jackass that he is, confronted me and my wife acting angry and hurt that im causing him harm in his job. Then he informed us that my daughter is not welcome at his house for the end of school party even tho its terrible because he loves my kid and stormed off. Im like dude she is never going anywhere with you again. (A cop friend says anger and denial are signs that something is wrong).It was later in the day one of the parents who was a chaperone told a friend of ours about the goodnight kisses. My daughter admitted that it happened.im meeting with the principal again tmw.
The only one putting his job at risk is the teacher. Incredibly stupid in this day and age to put yourself in this situation with children. Interesting enough I started a thread about an "overnight" for my 4th-grader that had the proposal of one-on-one contact with a teacher (I did not allow my child to attend); I got more than a few responses that I was coddling my boy.

You went to the Principle once, I would go to the police this time but would probably look to get some other parents involved. Dude sounds like a major perv.

For the people saying go to the police, what would you tell them and what would you expect them to do?

For the people saying go to the police, what would you tell them and what would you expect them to do?
I'd tell them exactly what was told in this thread. Of course, I would also tell them about the details of the story quickhands doesnt want to talk about.

In any case quickhands, do what you know is right. Never be afraid to protect your kids.

Red alert.

Not sure I'd be involving police but I'd be all up in the administration today like you.

And if they don't seem to agree with you, lean in and kiss them on the forehead so they feel the creepy firsthand.

How the #### is this the only thread without Gordon Gekko nailing a cat to a door or putting a gun in someone's mouth?

It was later in the day one of the parents who was a chaperone told a friend of ours about the goodnight kisses. My daughter admitted that it happened.im meeting with the principal again tmw.
How in the holy hell did this parent let this happen and/or not report it?

I would make a scene. At his house or at school. Not even close to being ok and with every single news story out there, teachers have to be extra careful now days yet this guy still crosses a line.What's some of the other stuff?
its a long story and circumstantial and my stomach cant handle talking about it.
Go over his head to the school. Worst case you'll be a little embarrassed and he'll stop something relatively harmless, but inappropriate. Best case you're saving some future kid from sexual abuse. Trust your gut.

ETA: Oops. Didn't read far enough. Think you're doing the right thing QH. Definitely wouldn't let go of it either now.

The guy's hosting parties with fifth graders at his house? Does he have a hot tub?

Something appears to be very wrong here.
This.

As a teacher all of this is sounding every alarm I can think of.

The best case scenario is this guy isn't a creep/perv but just an absolute moron. Either way he shouldn't be around kids.

Another teacher checking in.

ETA: I hope that nothing happened and that if it did, there is serious consequences. Good luck

Why do you think your 5th grade daughter kept this from you until you asked her about it directly? Was it because she felt scared/embarrassed/etc.? Or because she didn't think it was a big deal?

I feel like my daughters (4th grade and 1st grade) would tell me something like this as soon as they could, but maybe I should talk to them about it.

fair enough oink oink. I met with the principal about a completely innappropriate situation that this guy was indirectly involved however he was the main school official he was responsible.He being the jackass that he is, confronted me and my wife acting angry and hurt that im causing him harm in his job. Then he informed us that my daughter is not welcome at his house for the end of school party even tho its terrible because he loves my kid and stormed off. Im like dude she is never going anywhere with you again. (A cop friend says anger and denial are signs that something is wrong).It was later in the day one of the parents who was a chaperone told a friend of ours about the goodnight kisses. My daughter admitted that it happened.im meeting with the principal again tmw.
Never heard of a teacher having a party for the students at their own house. Seems pretty weird to me.

You're wasting your time with the principal IMO. Because a chapperone witnessed it, I would go directly to the school board with the threat of involving the police!

I mean, the Principal likely approved this event in the first place. They may have skin in the game already.

I'm a 4th grade teacher. Whenever I have to stay afterschool to tutor a female student, I make sure I do it in the Library where there are other adults, or if I have to I do it in my classroom, but make sure there are other witnesses to see what goes on. We had a male teacher a few years back reprimand a female student afterschool for bullying. She didn't like it, and made up a story about how the teacher touched her. She later confessed, but his career was ruined in our district.

Being a male teacher, I know there are rules and also common sense comes into play. I keep my physical contact restricted to High Fives.

That being said, this guy is a ####### creep.

Secondly, I wouldn't let my daughter go to a sleepaway camp in the 5th grade where a male teacher would have ANY access to her. I truly hope nothing more happened. Good luck.

I'm not a teacher but have been in supervisory roles with younger females where counseling was involved. I learned that it is best to not be in your office alone with a female subordinate when you have to talk about work issues or behavioral issues. If she gets upset you never know what she'll say. Unfortunately, it could be her word against yours. Not a good situation to be in.

I'm going to write this off as a Friday fishing trip just so I don't have to accept the potential reality of it.

Sucks if true. Thankfully sounds like it was caught in time before anything worse happened.

Morning update. My wife talked to my daughter. Apparently the girls were all tucked in bed. He came around and kissed them in front of 1 other teacher and 2 parents. This whole thing friggen mystifies me.

This strikes me as grooming and the women didnt stop it. Meeting the principal at 10.

Morning update. My wife talked to my daughter. Apparently the girls were all tucked in bed. He came around and kissed them in front of 1 other teacher and 2 parents. This whole thing friggen mystifies me.This strikes me as grooming and the women didnt stop it. Meeting the principal at 10.
and no one had a problem with it...wow. this guy would have trouble trying to fix his face after I witnessed something like that. unbelieveable.

Morning update. My wife talked to my daughter. Apparently the girls were all tucked in bed. He came around and kissed them in front of 1 other teacher and 2 parents. This whole thing friggen mystifies me.This strikes me as grooming and the women didnt stop it. Meeting the principal at 10.
Why in the hell is a male teacher tucking in 5th grade girls??? The teacher should be fired just for being that stupid.

Actually the whole idea of teachers doing an overnight trip with 5th graders is extremely odd. I have no idea why a school would endorse such a thing.

Why in the hell is a male teacher tucking in 5th grade girls??? The teacher should be fired just for being that stupid.

Actually the whole idea of teachers doing an overnight trip with 5th graders is extremely odd. I have no idea why a school would endorse such a thing.
this

As a youth minister, this is over the line. There are kids in my group that are friends of the family that I still wouldn't dream of kissing, even on the forehead. The sideways hug, the pat on the back or back of the head?? Maybe. You did the right thing in reporting this.

Girls at that age can be very affectionate and you don't always know how to handle it. I have some girls in my group who are huggers. They hug everybody and everything and that includes me. I don't want to discourage it because it's a good quality, but I usually opt for the sideways hug. It does cross my mind occasionally that some kid having a bad day could say that I did something that I didn't do. That's why I usually want other adults in the room with me. When we do youth trips, men are absolutely not allowed in the room with the girls, even doing bed checks. I get one of the female youth ministers to check my girls and I check my boys and help the female youth ministers check their boys. Even with the BOYS, I don't go in the room. I stand outside and they all have to come to the door so I can see them.

Really? I think a trip like that could be very fun and educational. My 5th grade class (maybe 6th grade?) went to a place for a whole week where we learned about science and stuff. There was no kissing but I went like 5 days in a row without pooping.

ETA: This is the place we went -- http://www.naturesclassroom.org/nc_what.htm

Really? I think a trip like that could be very fun and educational. My 5th grade class (maybe 6th grade?) went to a place for a whole week where we learned about science and stuff. There was no kissing but I went like 5 days in a row without pooping.

ETA: This is the place we went -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature's_Classroom
Things have changed since the 1950's

ETA: This is the place we went --

http://www.naturesclassroom.org/nc_what.htm
Things have changed since the 1950's
Place seems to still be operating at like a dozen locations.

Update 2. Wife talked to the her friend who was in the room. She described herself as deer in headlights. She said she brought it up. And the other teacher 60s something ladyy. Said it was ok and a tradition.

I got a big fu for that tradition

ETA: This is the place we went -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature's_Classroom
I just don't see the need for schools to be involved in overnight trips with elementary school children.

Update 2. Wife talked to the her friend who was in the room. She described herself as deer in headlights. She said she brought it up. And the other teacher 60s something ladyy. Said it was ok and a tradition.I got a big fu for that tradition
Oh, well as long as it's been going on a long time... :loco:

I just don't see the need for schools to be involved in overnight trips with elementary school children.
Well, schools shouldn't be prisons. As long as safeguards are in place to prevent creepy dudes from kissing the kids, I think the kids get a lot of value out of it.

Lot of people talking about being careful around elementary school age girls here. Anytime there's an overnight or activity of any kind outside of the classroom setting, it should be 2 deep leadership (2 adults minimum), regardless of whether it's boys or girls, one or several. Also, any adults chaperoning or having contact with the kids should receive training and certification to be there beforehand, including warning signs of grooming techniques of child predators.

Yes, that's a tip from the hard earned lessons of the Boy Scouts. The Catholic Church in my diocese also has required training but I don't think they've formally adopted 2 deep leadership (although they should imo).

I'm a 4th grade teacher. Whenever I have to stay afterschool to tutor a female student, I make sure I do it in the Library where there are other adults, or if I have to I do it in my classroom, but make sure there are other witnesses to see what goes on. We had a male teacher a few years back reprimand a female student afterschool for bullying. She didn't like it, and made up a story about how the teacher touched her. She later confessed, but his career was ruined in our district.

Being a male teacher, I know there are rules and also common sense comes into play. I keep my physical contact restricted to High Fives.

That being said, this guy is a ####### creep.

Secondly, I wouldn't let my daughter go to a sleepaway camp in the 5th grade where a male teacher would have ANY access to her. I truly hope nothing more happened. Good luck.
:goodposting:

I have those "tough" conversations in the hallway as much as possible.

this
goodposting

WTF was a male teacher even doing in the same room as the girls at bedtime? What about the parents that were in the room? Was there a male parent in the room?

Lot of people talking about being careful around elementary school age girls here. Anytime there's an overnight or activity of any kind outside of the classroom setting, it should be 2 deep leadership (2 adults minimum), regardless of whether it's boys or girls, one or several. Also, any adults chaperoning or having contact with the kids should receive training and certification to be there beforehand, including warning signs of grooming techniques of child predators. Yes, that's a tip from the hard earned lessons of the Boy Scouts. The Catholic Church in my diocese also has required training but I don't think they've formally adopted 2 deep leadership (although they should imo).
which is exactly what I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread