What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just gave 2 weeks notice. (wasn't received well) Update: Nobody puts baby in a corner!! (1 Viewer)

I know this thread is about done but for others contemplating quitting you should know that you can spend your full FSA (NOT HSA) balance on the first of the year even though it’s funded equally throughout the calendar year from your paychecks.  :unsure:

HSA gets funded as you go, so no benefit there. Just sayin. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently at 31x annual. But that still includes things that will change in a year. (still paying for daughters car insurance, living in a house that cost 30% more in insurance/taxes/utilities than when we downsize. By May of next year, both will be done with school. 

Also, the wife is still wanting to work for awhile longer. So, we won't be living off any savings right away. 
:thumbup:

That's a great FU number.  I'm not quite there yet.  As long as the market doesn't tank I'll be close in not too long, though.

Whatever, this was never about you but go ahead, live your life :rolleyes:

Seriously, you lasted much longer than most any of us would have. Congrat's on retirement, enjoy it :thumbup:
Sorry. Probably showing my age with that REO Speedwagon quote. Didn't mean any ill will towards you. 

Thanks for the well wishes. 

Sorry. Probably showing my age with that REO Speedwagon quote. Didn't mean any ill will towards you. 

Thanks for the well wishes. 
LOL, I'm older than you, #### off quitter! Go enjoy your "life" of leisure [/grumpyjealousoldmanthatwillwor####ilhedies]

Exactly what I told him.  Cost benefit analysis says that it's not worth the time to try and recover the week or so vacation that I could scam them out of.  I also believe that my company is so incompetent that there is no way they could catch the issue by my last payroll deposit.
I'd concur with that assessment.

Well just a second there, professor. We uh, we fixed the *glitch*. So he won’t be receiving a paycheck anymore, so it will just work itself out naturally. We always like to avoid confrontation, whenever possible. Problem solved from your end.

KCitons said:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

I went to the main office this morning and handed in all my company equipment. The HR Director wasn't there, but her assistant was. (he's a good guy). He was blindsided because he didn't know anything about it. When I started handing him keys and laptop, he looked confused. I told him I'm resigning a second time from the same job. 

Also had a chance to talk to the COO. He wasn't aware that I gave notice either. Or he was lying. But he had no reason to say he didn't know. At that point I was on my way out the door. 

On my way home, I stopped and spent some time with my parents. I hadn't been able to just sit and talk with them for a few months. I'm going to do more of that while I still can. 
You rock.

They suck.

So she didn't tell people, lol.  She will be fired soon.

Should I use my real name or fake name when I apply? 
Real name!!!!  Obviously.  You want them to hire you at half the work for same pay.  Go to interview and tell them you have to work from home, and you want to be the guy who writes all the SOPs.

Joe Summer said:

A few years ago I was working at a job where my workload kept increasing. Several employees had quit in the previous year, but no one had been hired to replace them. When I would ask the owner about it, he would just blow me off.

After about a year, the owner finally hired someone. But the new employee and the owner both made it clear that the new guy would only be acting as a "Manager" -- and he would not be doing any of the actual work that the other employees did.

When I pointed out that this didn't really resolve the workload issues, the manager replied, "Well, that's why my job is to make sure that everyone does a better job managing their time."

The owner echoed those sentiments, and added, "If anyone has a problem with that, then they better start looking for a new job."

I started looking for a new job that afternoon, and by the end of the week I found my next gig. When I informed the owner, he blew a gasket and started screaming at me about how ungrateful and disloyal I was. I told him I was very grateful that he gave me an opportunity 15 years ago, but gratitude cannot compensate for the frustration and low morale.

He then said, "Do you realize how much you're screwing me? I'm going to have to hire two new people to fill your role!"

At that point I no longer felt bad about quitting.

Looking back, quitting that job was one of the best things I've ever done, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Well well, here's an interesting followup: I just got a phone call from the manager that I had referenced above. He wanted to know if I was interested in re-joining the company. It seems that they have had quite a bit of turnover in the past few years, which has resulted in this manager having to absorb most of the workload that used to be on my plate. He complained that he "didn't sign up for this".

I thought about responding with, "Perhaps you just need to do a better job managing your time," but I didn't want to be a jerk. So I just politely declined his offer.

Then he asked if I would at least be willing to train a new hire so that it might reduce the chances of another employee quitting after just a few months.

I said I'd think about it.

I'm happy where I'm at right now, and I don't need a part-time gig. There was a time when I felt a fair amount of loyalty to the company, and a fair amount of respect and regard to the owner. But after the owner accused me of "screwing him" (even if it was said in the heat of the moment), it left a bad taste in my mouth that still hasn't gone away. It'll take more than a few hours of consulting work to make that feeling go away. Does that make me a petty person?

I'm happy where I'm at right now, and I don't need a part-time gig. There was a time when I felt a fair amount of loyalty to the company, and a fair amount of respect and regard to the owner. But after the owner accused me of "screwing him" (even if it was said in the heat of the moment), it left a bad taste in my mouth that still hasn't gone away. It'll take more than a few hours of consulting work to make that feeling go away. Does that make me a petty person?
No, but what it does do is help set your hourly rate expectations.  Set it such that you can do the job and gain internal satisfaction (if they hire you) that they're paying you some ungodly sum.

In my mind I'd be thinking, oh, $200/hr or thereabouts.

Does that make me a petty person?
Nope. There's only one person (well maybe your parents or wife) that are looking out for what's best for you. Your boss had his chance. He failed. If making some extra money on the side alleviates some of the bad feelings, then go for it. I suspect that it won't. You'll be a little richer, but having to spend any time around your old boss isn't going to make you happy. 

What's the price of your happiness? Mines worth more than $200 an hour.   

I thought about responding with, "Perhaps you just need to do a better job managing your time," but I didn't want to be a jerk. So I just politely declined his offer.
Politely declining the offer provides 0 satisfaction, going with the jerky reply would have been immensely satisfying. You only cheated yourself out of those good feelings.

The only way to make up for that lost opportunity would be to call back, ask for more money, accept a reasonable offer, lead them on to think you're returning, then ghosting them permanently.

Users who are viewing this thread