What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

K.Allen vs J.Hunter...who do you like and why? (1 Viewer)

I believe Jake the fake Locker a bust so would go with Allen. Not that Rivers is looking spry but I don't like what I've been seeing from the Titans coach staff and brass. I believe Hunter went to one of the worst landing spots for early returns, he's a hold for a while.

This isn't even close IMO. Hopkins, Patterson and Hunter all went within 8 picks of one another. They make up a tier.

Allen went 42 picks later. It's fair to debate him with Terance Williams, Markus Wheaton, Aaron Dobson, Marquise Goodwin and Stedman Bailey.

Here is Greg Cosell's take.

In his piece, Cosell labels Hunter as the “most physically talented wide receiver” while additionally calling the former Volunteer “the most intriguing receiver on the board” and being “most explosive as a route runner” of the receivers in this year’s NFL Draft. Cosell compares Hunter to both A.J. Green in several aspects (including “fluidity” in movements) and even to Randy Moss due to Hunter’s vertical (Cosell does temper these comparisons with the acknowledgement that Hunter will need some develop to match the contributions of Green or Moss in the NFL).

Hunter has both size and vertical ability in his favor (with the best vertical of receivers at the NFL Combine), while also flashing a 4.44 40-yard dash time for scouts in Indy.

Cosell makes it clear that he expects Hunter to be off the board within the top-32 next Thursday night — even if he acknowledges lingering effects from a 2011 ACL injury and a tendency to have easy drops at the collegiate level (which he balances out by claiming his “acceleration and vertical explosiveness clearly projects to the NFL”).

In my mind this is a strange two to compare. You have a very polished but unflashy player in Allen against an extremely raw athletic freak in Hunter. Maybe the question is more about how you draft and the types of risk you take. If you want solid production but likely not going to be a true elite player you take Allen. If you're aiming for the next Fitzgerald or Moss, but also can tolerate a complete bust you take Hunter.

This isn't even close IMO. Hopkins, Patterson and Hunter all went within 8 picks of one another. They make up a tier.Allen went 42 picks later. It's fair to debate him with Terance Williams, Markus Wheaton, Aaron Dobson, Marquise Goodwin and Stedman Bailey.Here is Greg Cosell's take.In his piece, Cosell labels Hunter as the “most physically talented wide receiver” while additionally calling the former Volunteer “the most intriguing receiver on the board” and being “most explosive as a route runner” of the receivers in this year’s NFL Draft. Cosell compares Hunter to both A.J. Green in several aspects (including “fluidity” in movements) and even to Randy Moss due to Hunter’s vertical (Cosell does temper these comparisons with the acknowledgement that Hunter will need some develop to match the contributions of Green or Moss in the NFL).Hunter has both size and vertical ability in his favor (with the best vertical of receivers at the NFL Combine), while also flashing a 4.44 40-yard dash time for scouts in Indy.Cosell makes it clear that he expects Hunter to be off the board within the top-32 next Thursday night — even if he acknowledges lingering effects from a 2011 ACL injury and a tendency to have easy drops at the collegiate level (which he balances out by claiming his “acceleration and vertical explosiveness clearly projects to the NFL”).
Greg Cossell also called Ryan Nassib the best QB in the draft and assumed he would be a 1st. I love Cossell, but he hits and misses a lot as well.

In my mind this is a strange two to compare. You have a very polished but unflashy player in Allen against an extremely raw athletic freak in Hunter. Maybe the question is more about how you draft and the types of risk you take. If you want solid production but likely not going to be a true elite player you take Allen. If you're aiming for the next Fitzgerald or Moss, but also can tolerate a complete bust you take Hunter.
Maybe not if you are on the clock and these are the best two rookie WRs left on your draft board. :hophead:

This isn't even close IMO. Hopkins, Patterson and Hunter all went within 8 picks of one another. They make up a tier.Allen went 42 picks later. It's fair to debate him with Terance Williams, Markus Wheaton, Aaron Dobson, Marquise Goodwin and Stedman Bailey.Here is Greg Cosell's take.In his piece, Cosell labels Hunter as the most physically talented wide receiver while additionally calling the former Volunteer the most intriguing receiver on the board and being most explosive as a route runner of the receivers in this years NFL Draft. Cosell compares Hunter to both A.J. Green in several aspects (including fluidity in movements) and even to Randy Moss due to Hunters vertical (Cosell does temper these comparisons with the acknowledgement that Hunter will need some develop to match the contributions of Green or Moss in the NFL).Hunter has both size and vertical ability in his favor (with the best vertical of receivers at the NFL Combine), while also flashing a 4.44 40-yard dash time for scouts in Indy.Cosell makes it clear that he expects Hunter to be off the board within the top-32 next Thursday night even if he acknowledges lingering effects from a 2011 ACL injury and a tendency to have easy drops at the collegiate level (which he balances out by claiming his acceleration and vertical explosiveness clearly projects to the NFL).
Greg Cossell also called Ryan Nassib the best QB in the draft and assumed he would be a 1st. I love Cossell, but he hits and misses a lot as well.
He didn't assume Nasib would be the 1st qb taken. His own personal ranking of Nassib was that he was the top QB. Obviously way too early for hits & misses.

Maybe not if you are on the clock and these are the best two rookie WRs left on your draft board. :hophead:
I agree. If I'm staring down the barrel of a 1.08-1.10 pick and have to pull the trigger, I'm looking for a very good reason to take Hunter over Allen. Seems like Allen's slide on draft day is due mostly to his injury history and the most recent (Oct 28, '12 knee) which affected his pro day workout and inability to take part in the combine. It's a tough call to make at this point but SD looks a lot less crowded on paper and might provide better opportunity for Allen, and a better return on the draft pick if you had to pick today.

Maybe I'm just the President of the Justin Hunter fan club or something.

-tied for second longest broad jump in combine history. (Explosive)

-39.5" vertical at combine, 40.5" at pro day. Those are elite. To give perspective, it's better than Kobe Bryant (38"), and about the same as Dr J. (41"). (Explosive)

-4.44 40 (very good)

This is all after coming back from an ACL tear about 16 months earlier.

His combine numbers compare favorably to AJ Green, although he admittedly weighed 15 lbs less at the same height. Hunter is now reportedly up to 6'4" 202 lbs. (9lbs less than Green)

-He put up 76/1083/9 in the SEC the year following his ACL tear.

He is clearly a size/speed freak of nature.

A lot of what is going on in the NFL is jump balls. At 6'4" with an elite vertical, Hunter is gonna win a lot of those battles. He certainly did in the SEC.

Britt is a UFA after this season. He's extremely likely not to be welcomed back. I'd like it if Hunter had a better QB, but if Locker doesn't improve, they'll likely cut ties in the near future, and go with Ryan Fitzpatrick as an interim.

Allen fell to the middle of the third round, and that doesn't happen unless there are legitimate concerns about his abilities.

Kitrick Taylor said:
Maybe I'm just the President of the Justin Hunter fan club or something.-tied for second longest broad jump in combine history. (Explosive)-39.5" vertical at combine, 40.5" at pro day. Those are elite. To give perspective, it's better than Kobe Bryant (38"), and about the same as Dr J. (41"). (Explosive)-4.44 40 (very good)This is all after coming back from an ACL tear about 16 months earlier.His combine numbers compare favorably to AJ Green, although he admittedly weighed 15 lbs less at the same height. Hunter is now reportedly up to 6'4" 202 lbs. (9lbs less than Green)-He put up 76/1083/9 in the SEC the year following his ACL tear.He is clearly a size/speed freak of nature.A lot of what is going on in the NFL is jump balls. At 6'4" with an elite vertical, Hunter is gonna win a lot of those battles. He certainly did in the SEC.Britt is a UFA after this season. He's extremely likely not to be welcomed back. I'd like it if Hunter had a better QB, but if Locker doesn't improve, they'll likely cut ties in the near future, and go with Ryan Fitzpatrick as an interim.Allen fell to the middle of the third round, and that doesn't happen unless there are legitimate concerns about his abilities.
Hunter is a track guy, they generally do well in shorts/tights(aka combine).

You mentioned what Hunter did in the "SEC", i'll repost a debate we had from another thread:

If the Vikings drafted Patterson to be a traditional X WR - there is major risk, obviously, he doesn’t look close to being ready to offer that. But if they drafted him to get him the ball in space – like Harvin – is he really any riskier than Hopkins or the average 1st round WR prospect? What he did will transfer. He'll make people miss and be very dangerous with the ball in his hands. That’s why he was drafted and how I think he’ll be used. In which case, I don’t see the major risk, since they won’t be asking him to beat NFL corners with his route running and hands. Take Harvin and put him in a Hakeem Nicks role and he's likely to fail too.
I agree with what you're saying here Coop. They are going to have to be very creative in how they use him.I didn't expect most to agree with me on this, so it's no surprise I'm getting some push back.Consider this. Patterson played 8 games vs the SEC in his career. He went 26/375/3 in the receiving dept in those games. Most of his damage came in the return game or running the ball. Basically, he is a complete project at WR. Combine that with scouts calling his interviews "very unimpressive," and the Rams opting to trade up for a player with similar talents, but that is only 5'8" and 174lbs. They called him "very raw" and said they had "some character concerns."
In the same 8 games this past year in the SEC, Justin Hunter went 39/568/2. Considering Hunter was in the Tennessee program for his whole career, had a rapport with Tyler Bray, knew the offensive system, etc. It's not that much more than Patterson who was only at Tennessee last year.

Patterson's WR totals in 3 years in college= 159 receptions 2610 yards 29 TD. It's not like he's never played the position or didn't produce.
In 8 games in the SEC Hunter had 39/568/2, looks a little different from the 76/1083/9 you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
craxie said:
the first thing a receiver has to do is catch the ball
You do realize that Calvin Johnson, Roddy White and Terrell Owens are just a few of the WRs that struggled with drops early in their career. James Jones struggled with drops for most of his career, then had something like one dropped pass all last season. I think it was Xue that pointed out that Hunter has an issue with hand placement as he's about to receive the ball. Something that certainly be coached.

Kitrick Taylor said:
Maybe I'm just the President of the Justin Hunter fan club or something.-tied for second longest broad jump in combine history. (Explosive)-39.5" vertical at combine, 40.5" at pro day. Those are elite. To give perspective, it's better than Kobe Bryant (38"), and about the same as Dr J. (41"). (Explosive)-4.44 40 (very good)This is all after coming back from an ACL tear about 16 months earlier.His combine numbers compare favorably to AJ Green, although he admittedly weighed 15 lbs less at the same height. Hunter is now reportedly up to 6'4" 202 lbs. (9lbs less than Green)-He put up 76/1083/9 in the SEC the year following his ACL tear.He is clearly a size/speed freak of nature.A lot of what is going on in the NFL is jump balls. At 6'4" with an elite vertical, Hunter is gonna win a lot of those battles. He certainly did in the SEC.Britt is a UFA after this season. He's extremely likely not to be welcomed back. I'd like it if Hunter had a better QB, but if Locker doesn't improve, they'll likely cut ties in the near future, and go with Ryan Fitzpatrick as an interim.Allen fell to the middle of the third round, and that doesn't happen unless there are legitimate concerns about his abilities.

You mentioned what Hunter did in the "SEC", i'll repost a debate we had from another thread:

>

If the Vikings drafted Patterson to be a traditional X WR - there is major risk, obviously, he doesn’t look close to being ready to offer that. But if they drafted him to get him the ball in space – like Harvin – is he really any riskier than Hopkins or the average 1st round WR prospect? What he did will transfer. He'll make people miss and be very dangerous with the ball in his hands. That’s why he was drafted and how I think he’ll be used. In which case, I don’t see the major risk, since they won’t be asking him to beat NFL corners with his route running and hands. Take Harvin and put him in a Hakeem Nicks role and he's likely to fail too.
I agree with what you're saying here Coop. They are going to have to be very creative in how they use him.I didn't expect most to agree with me on this, so it's no surprise I'm getting some push back.Consider this. Patterson played 8 games vs the SEC in his career. He went 26/375/3 in the receiving dept in those games. Most of his damage came in the return game or running the ball. Basically, he is a complete project at WR. Combine that with scouts calling his interviews "very unimpressive," and the Rams opting to trade up for a player with similar talents, but that is only 5'8" and 174lbs. They called him "very raw" and said they had "some character concerns."
In the same 8 games this past year in the SEC, Justin Hunter went 39/568/2. Considering Hunter was in the Tennessee program for his whole career, had a rapport with Tyler Bray, knew the offensive system, etc. It's not that much more than Patterson who was only at Tennessee last year.

Patterson's WR totals in 3 years in college= 159 receptions 2610 yards 29 TD. It's not like he's never played the position or didn't produce.
In 8 games in the SEC Hunter had 39/568/2, looks a little different from the 76/1083/9 you posted.
And AJ Green had 28/452/5 vs the SEC his final year.

I realize Hunter is no lock for stardom. I just think in this draft class of also rans, he's the most likely candidate (outside of Austin) to become a star in this league.

Invictus~Bronte said:
I believe Jake the fake Locker a bust so would go with Allen. Not that Rivers is looking spry but I don't like what I've been seeing from the Titans coach staff and brass. I believe Hunter went to one of the worst landing spots for early returns, he's a hold for a while.
If you consider him a bust, then long term, you'd have to think he won't be starting there.

That said I prefer Allen because he could quickly become the WR1 in San Diego. That position has traditionally been pretty solid in terms of fantasy production. I think the rumors of Rivers' demise have be overstated. He'll bounce back.

Kitrick Taylor said:

>

I realize Hunter is no lock for stardom. I just think in this draft class of also rans, he's the most likely candidate (outside of Austin) to become a star in this league.
Yes in FIVE games his junior year AJ Green put up 28/452/5

In 8 games Hunter put up 39/568/2

Why throw out a stat like AJ Green's without talking about him missing 4 games?

Kitrick Taylor said:

>

>

Not looking for a pissing match tdmills. Site I looked at didn't mention AJ Green's games played. Not trying to mislead.

Kitrick Taylor said:

>

>

Patterson's WR totals in 3 years in college= 159 receptions 2610 yards 29 TD. It's not like he's never played the position or didn't pr

oduce.

Not looking for a pissing match tdmills. Site I looked at didn't mention AJ Green's games played. Not trying to mislead.
Didn't know pointing out discrepancies in information or disagreeing was a "pissing match"

Kitrick Taylor said:
Allen fell to the middle of the third round, and that doesn't happen unless there are legitimate concerns about his abilities.
I'm not the president of the Justin Hunter fan club but he definitely has upside. Knowing that Allen fell to the third round, I wouldn't be drafting him in the 1st round of any rookie draft.

What about Robert Woods? Isn't he pretty much right in the wheelhouse with these guys? I tend to like his situation better than Hunter's but not as much as Allen's. Skill wise they were all selected reasonably close to one another (34, 41, and 76 for Hunter, Woods, and Allen respectively). Obviously Dobson and Williams are in there as well.

Seems there are 5 wideouts in there but most people clearly favor the bookends (Hunter and Allen) in rookie drafts. Why?

I think WIlliams going to Dallas is the best situation of all of them. YOu have a very good QB and Dez to draw coverage. The only thing standing between Williams and starting is Glassjaw Austin.

What about Robert Woods? Isn't he pretty much right in the wheelhouse with these guys? I tend to like his situation better than Hunter's but not as much as Allen's. Skill wise they were all selected reasonably close to one another (34, 41, and 76 for Hunter, Woods, and Allen respectively). Obviously Dobson and Williams are in there as well.

Seems there are 5 wideouts in there but most people clearly favor the bookends (Hunter and Allen) in rookie drafts. Why?

I think WIlliams going to Dallas is the best situation of all of them. YOu have a very good QB and Dez to draw coverage. The only thing standing between Williams and starting is Glassjaw Austin.
I've been meaning to post this. Woods vs. Hunter is a much better comparison. If you're looking for a safe WR2 type then I'd take Woods all day over Allen.

I think the Pats reached for Dobson myself, but it's a great offense to be in. I don't really like Williams either but again that's another good offense.

Had to make this call earlier today and went with Hunter over Allen based on the upside of the elite athleticism. Could've had em both I guess, but took Ball at 1.9 with a need for a RB2.

I'll go with Hunter. Higher pick. Better athletic tools.

Neither is without risk, but give me the fringe 1st rounder with the 6'4" frame, 4.4 speed, 40" vertical, and 11'6" broad jump.

Justin Hunter is going to be a bust. He has speed and a nice vert, but avg agility and didn't bench press. Body type looks extreamly injury prone. He can easily add weight but that's not my biggest concern. If you know how to look at stats you can tell that he didn't dominate at all. Look at his numbers, his stats are padded vs Akron, Troy, Georgia St, and Kentucky. Those game are like half of his yards and all of his TD's. He's NFL worthy but I don't see star potential.

Allen was just being mentioned as a 1st round pick. I don't know what to make of his pro-day but he has great hands on tape. He gets to work with the better QB. I'll take Allen.

I'll go with Hunter. Higher pick. Better athletic tools.

Neither is without risk, but give me the fringe 1st rounder with the 6'4" frame, 4.4 speed, 40" vertical, and 11'6" broad jump.
I also took Hunter over Allen. I have adequate depth at WR (start 2/3 with Harvin, Bowe, Shorts, Hilton, Boldin, Hankerson, Holmes, and recently drafted Patterson) and would rather take the risk to get a top tier guy over a lower ceiling (IMO). Plus, as a Titans fan, I'll be cheering for Hunter anyway.

Hunter might bust, but he's worth the risk.

This is kind of my thoughts as well. Earlier I leaned Allen but draft position and measurables are swaying me in the other direction.

Justin Hunter is going to be a bust. He has speed and a nice vert, but avg agility and didn't bench press. Body type looks extreamly injury prone. He can easily add weight but that's not my biggest concern. If you know how to look at stats you can tell that he didn't dominate at all. Look at his numbers, his stats are padded vs Akron, Troy, Georgia St, and Kentucky. Those game are like half of his yards and all of his TD's. He's NFL worthy but I don't see star potential.Allen was just being mentioned as a 1st round pick. I don't know what to make of his pro-day but he has great hands on tape. He gets to work with the better QB. I'll take Allen.
That's pretty much true against everyone who plays against Kentucky.

Overall, SEC WR play is rarely about sustained domination like you see in other conferences. I wouldn't read much into it simply because you might be mislead by the "stats". When you see Justin Blackmon playing wide open, never-pressed, shootouts, those stats are going to look different than watching Julio Jones play agains pro-style SEC teams every week who ALL seemingly have future 1st and 2nd round corners.

So when I look back at just the player, the thing about Hunter that is impossible to ignore in this comparison against Allen is the size and speed; basically the stuff you can't teach. A team may be able to teach Hunter how to run a route like Reggie Wayne but no team can ever teach Allen how to run that fast or jump that high.

I took Allen over Hunter, and probably would have taken Dobson over him too. I didn't see the 4.40 speed when watching Hunter on film. Always getting wrapped up by the legs because of his long stride. Rarely seen him break tackles and only seemed to seperate when he already had five yards on the defender. Not to mention he has issues catching the ball at times. There was just something missing when i watched him. He goes up for the jump ball in the endzone though, i'll give him that. Allen, while not a burner, has plenty of football speed. Looks like Nicks speed to me. Probably 4.55 when healthy. He consistantly made defenders miss in the open field and catches just about everything thrown at him. Electric, hungry and probably now has a huge chip on his shoulder. While the knee is a concern, reports are that it is 100% and he just needs to get it back into shape. With a NFL caliber QB throwing to him i see nothing but good times.

I like Hunter due to upside. Allen is likely safer and in a better situation. But the NFL valued Hunter more and I think his upside is much higher.

Users who are viewing this thread