What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kamala Harris' border crisis. Biden put her in charge. (1 Viewer)

Bill Melugin

@BillFOXLA

BREAKING: Per federal source, DHS is preparing to discipline multiple horseback Border Patrol agents who were accused of “whipping” Haitian migrants in Del Rio last summer. I’m told DHS will imminently allege “administrative violations”, agents will be able to respond @FoxNews

Per federal source, this announcement is expected to come down any day now. It’s unclear what “administrative violations” the BP agents will be accused of, but they are not being accused of any criminal conduct. The horseback unit involved is based out of Carrizo Springs, TX.

New immigration policy:  Just throw out the cases against illegal immigrants.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/biden-administration-quietly-erasing-immigration-court-caseload-de-facto-amnesty

I remember how our pro immigration folk said we should let them all in so they can get their due process, and if at that time they should be deported, so be it.  This policy is disgusting.
Democrats simply don't  care about our immigration laws. I agree it's disgusting.

CNN: 46 migrants dead in a truck

"At least 46 people were found dead inside of a semi-truck in San Antonio Monday, according to authorities, in a scene that Mayor Ron Nirenberg called a “horrific human tragedy....”
These sorts of horrors will only increase the greater border enforcement becomes. There is no way to stop these people from coming here. They will quite literally risk giving up their lives to do so. 

It will. Because they will try it anyway. There is no way to deter them. If you set mines all across the border they would still come. You will never stop them. 
I think your statement is fundamentally incorrect. We've seen when enforcement goes up the border encounters go down.  Which leads to less chances of someone dying trying to cross the border.

This border free for all is a gold mine for the cartels and coyotes who don't give a crap about human life. 

I think your statement is fundamentally incorrect. We've seen when enforcement goes up the border encounters go down.  Which leads to less chances of someone dying trying to cross the border.

This border free for all is a gold mine for the cartels and coyotes who don't give a crap about human life. 
Just like the drug wars, you can spend billions trying to enforce the border. You will fail. And it will cause more horror. 

The only way to solve this problem is to completely redo our legal immigration system and allow most of these people a safe path to coming here. Only then can you successfully seal the border against the bad guys. 

Just like the drug wars, you can spend billions trying to enforce the border. You will fail. And it will cause more horror. 

The only way to solve this problem is to completely redo our legal immigration system and allow most of these people a safe path to coming here. Only then can you successfully seal the border against the bad guys. 
Is your take that our war on drugs would be going better if we stopped all enforcement? 

Is your take that our war on drugs would be going better if we stopped all enforcement? 
No. I am not in favor of stopping all enforcement here either. 
I think we would manage drugs better if we legalized some more of them. On a thoughtful basis. I think we would manage the border  better if we allowed many more people in. On a thoughtful basis. 

I think we would manage drugs better if we legalized some more of them. On a thoughtful basis. I think we would manage the border  better if we allowed many more people in. On a thoughtful basis. 
We're on pace for over 2.5 million border encounters in 2022.  How many years are we going to be able to sustain this? 

Agree 100%.  Too bad we don't have Dems in charge of all three branches to propose something like this.

We're on pace for over 2.5 million border encounters in 2022.  How many years are we going to be able to sustain this? 

Based on the help wanted signs, at least another decade.  Wouldn't hurt to be able to get a fast food meal for under $10 and expect them to be actually open during dinner hours.  

Thanks for proving you weren't serious about your take. 
I’m completely serious. There will never be a time when we can’t take in more immigrants. We are not a lifeboat, we will never be full. Our entire purpose as a nation is to take in immigrants. 

Agree 100%.  Too bad we don't have Dems in charge of all three branches to propose something like this.
Don’t get me started on the Dems on this issue, in some ways they are worse than the Republicans who at least are honest about their attitudes. Most Democratic politicians are complete cowards when it comes to this topic. 

Don’t get me started on the Dems on this issue, in some ways they are worse than the Republicans who at least are honest about their attitudes. Most Democratic politicians are complete cowards when it comes to this topic. 

Small business is in favor of more workers who want to work.  I suspect big business is too.  Great opportunity to fight inflation.  Change the name from immigration reform to war on inflation or American business act and we might get something done.

Small business is in favor of more workers who want to work.  I suspect big business is too.  Great opportunity to fight inflation.  Change the name from immigration reform to war on inflation or American business act and we might get something done.
I wish more people thought like you. But I doubt that changing names will solve this problem. Far too many people these days are anti-immigration whatever you call it.  

Based on the help wanted signs, at least another decade.  Wouldn't hurt to be able to get a fast food meal for under $10 and expect them to be actually open during dinner hours.  
It's unfortunate the plan to fight inflation likely comes with increasing the unemployment rate. Bringing in another 2.5 million people per year doesn't decrease demand for goods. 

Forever. 
 Too many humans will impair the environmental health of the United States. Whether it is due to the overconsumption of natural resources, food, and energy; the degradation of soils and deforestation; or the overwhelming production of waste and pollution, the overpopulation of the U.S. may cause its own apocalyptic demise.

https://artifactsjournal.missouri.edu/2019/06/a-population-ca-lypse-the-danger-of-overpopulation-on-the-environment-within-america/

It's unfortunate the plan to fight inflation likely comes with increasing the unemployment rate. Bringing in another 2.5 million people per year doesn't decrease demand for goods. 
Wrong. The amount of goods created by such a terrific move would completely outweigh the amount of demand. 
If only we really did take in that amount of people every year…but don’t get my hopes up. 

Too many humans will impair the environmental health of the United States. Whether it is due to the overconsumption of natural resources, food, and energy; the degradation of soils and deforestation; or the overwhelming production of waste and pollution, the overpopulation of the U.S. may cause its own apocalyptic demise.

https://artifactsjournal.missouri.edu/2019/06/a-population-ca-lypse-the-danger-of-overpopulation-on-the-environment-within-america/
Stop fearmongering. That article is nonsense. 
https://www.bushcenter.org/catalyst/north-american-century/benefits-of-immigration-outweigh-costs.html

The benefits of immigration far far outweigh the costs. This has always been true and continues to be true. 

It has to.  Right now it's a free for all to put any warm body at any price in a position.  And based on my experience, your average illegal immigrant would be much more productive in these jobs than then person who's spent a two years worth of vocation tech school tuition on face piercings and neck tattoos.

Demand for goods is fine.  Wouldn't hurt the GDP to have some affordable labor to produce products in the USA instead of China.

Did you mean to post this in the abortion thread?

I’m completely serious. There will never be a time when we can’t take in more immigrants. We are not a lifeboat, we will never be full. Our entire purpose as a nation is to take in immigrants. 

why is it only immigrants from the south get to walk in?
Coming from anywhere else in the world, there is a process. 

Individuals interested in how to immigrate to USA from Europe can apply for various types of visas, among which:
business visas,
visas for persons of extraordinary ability,
work visas,
fiancé visas,
spouse visas,
investor and entrepreneur visas.

The United States has embassies and consulates in most European countries which is why the immigration procedure must start there except for cases in which the foreign citizen has a US sponsor who must initiate the process here, in the USA.

Employment and family reunification are by far the most sought channels for European immigration to the USA and for this purpose, a sponsor is required.

The procedure on how to relocate to USA from Europe in order to obtain a Green Card will imply the following steps:
find the suitable type of visa and file the application with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS),
if a sponsor is required, the sponsor who can be the employer or family member must start the procedure,
once the application is approved, an immigration interview is scheduled,
after the interview, the accepted applicant must file the documents required to obtain the solicited visa.

What should be noted by those who want to know how to move to USA from Europe is that only a limited number of employment visas are issued per year which is why it is recommended to start the application procedure at the beginning of the fiscal year which in the US starts in autumn.

Whats it like living in never never land? lol
I live in the greatest country in the history of human civilization. I am a proud believer in American exceptionalism. Immigration is a huge part of the reason for our greatness as a nation, probably the single most important factor, according to Ronald Reagan among many others. 

why is it only immigrants from the south get to walk in?
Coming from anywhere else in the world, there is a process. 

They should be able to come in from all over. The problem for those on our southern border is that for the vast vast majority, there is no process, no line for them to get into. That’s what needs to be solved. 

They should be able to come in from all over. The problem for those on our southern border is that for the vast vast majority, there is no process, no line for them to get into. That’s what needs to be solved. 
 so instead of solving it by creating proper and accessible pathways we are just gonna say "F it" and open the gates?

here's the deal, you cant create "a line" without first blocking off the wider areas. But nobody wants to do that. I agree with you, there needs to be a process created, but until you start limiting the access while at the same time setting up areas or embassies where immigrants can apply for lawful entry, nothing will be solved. 

so instead of solving it by creating proper and accessible pathways we are just gonna say "F it" and open the gates?

here's the deal, you cant create "a line" without first blocking off the wider areas. But nobody wants to do that. I agree with you, there needs to be a process created, but until you start limiting the access while at the same time setting up areas or embassies where immigrants can apply for lawful entry, nothing will be solved. 

I’m willing to enforce the border in exchange for a better more open immigration system. That’s what I’ve always wanted. I really don’t care about the order of events as long as one follows the other. But most of the people who call for enforcing the border also call for more restrictions on the legal means for these people to come here, not less. And I’m opposed to that. But it doesn’t matter what I think- the reality is that attempting to enforce the border while at the same time restricting legal immigration for these people is doomed to failure. It will never work. 

I’m willing to enforce the border in exchange for a better more open immigration system. That’s what I’ve always wanted. I really don’t care about the order of events as long as one follows the other. But most of the people who call for enforcing the border also call for more restrictions on the legal means for these people to come here, not less. And I’m opposed to that. But it doesn’t matter what I think- the reality is that attempting to enforce the border while at the same time restricting legal immigration for these people is doomed to failure. It will never work. 
you realize we have an even longer northern border that seems pretty damn secure. I mean, they completely shut it down during covid....so they are doing something right. 

But in contrast, I recognize there is a vast difference in the people who are migrating from the south vs those in the north. But we need to be looking at the root cause of this mass migration, b/c I dont believe that long term it is sustainable for this country. So instead of typical gov't and knee-jerk reactions like just open it up or completely shut it down, we need to figure out WHY these people are coming here. We spend billions of $$ overseas, maybe we need to start working with South America and get them straightened out. 

you realize we have an even longer northern border that seems pretty damn secure. I mean, they completely shut it down during covid....so they are doing something right. 

But in contrast, I recognize there is a vast difference in the people who are migrating from the south vs those in the north. But we need to be looking at the root cause of this mass migration, b/c I dont believe that long term it is sustainable for this country. So instead of typical gov't and knee-jerk reactions like just open it up or completely shut it down, we need to figure out WHY these people are coming here. We spend billions of $$ overseas, maybe we need to start working with South America and get them straightened out. 
The northern border is secure because the Canadian economy is secure. There’s no huge desire of Canadians to seek a better life. It’s not because of anything we did. 

This excerpt from USA Today is an excellent summary of the situation:

Vice President Kamala Harris, appointed as the administration's point person on immigration, traveled to Central America last year, but the efforts have not led to major action or progress

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-border-is-closed-white-house-defends-policies-after-deaths-of-at-least-50-migrants-in-texas/ar-AAYXBYL?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz
This administration's position is that "the border is closed" so there is nothing more they should be doing.

I know it's a different discussion/tangent but I really disagree with this from an environmental and climate change perspective.  Overpopulation is a real concern.  

Users who are viewing this thread