What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper League need one: Ridley, Claypool or Hurts (1 Viewer)

Retired

Footballguy
14 team, .5 ppr. and I'm drafting 13th in a snake. I can keep 2 players, so for starters I'm holding on to Tyreek in the 7th round. I could also keep Claypool or Jalen Hurts - both would cost a 14th round pick. I could go another way and keep Calvin Ridley but he would cost me a 1st round pick. Keeping him would give me two star WRs but I fear I'd fall short on setting up my RB squad.

Thanks for any thoughts!

With that few players I usually just keep the best two players as it's basically a redraft.  

For this situation I would go with Claypool and that gives you flexibility with your first rounder.  It's likely Ridley will still be there and this allows you to be flexible with that pick based on availability.   

Thanks gents. I like the idea of tossing Ridley back (even though it hurts, lol) and keeping that first round open. Hurts is interesting but he's still a bit of a question mark I guess. Lots of mouths to feed in Pittsburg but Claypool may be awesome especially once Juju leaves and I'll have him for the years ahead - guess I'll go that route. Hope they use him more than they did last December.

Gally said:
With that few players I usually just keep the best two players as it's basically a redraft.

Sort of off topic but: I never have really understood this take. The player's round value represents the caliber of player that you are giving up to keep him. Isn't that 100% relevant? Granted, I know you're saying that's just a rule of thumb, and in fact even making the exception in this case. But I don't get why one wouldn't want to consider the round in every case. Now I totally get that after the first half of the rounds, give or take, things start to drop off a lot (odds of 12th rounder winning the league for you are ... not great). So, a guy who costs round 12 vs. a guy you don't like quite as much who costs round 16, the round doesn't make a huge difference, and you could take the better guy. Just seems like a difference in the round sacrificed always represents a difference in the net value of keeping a guy. Just a question of how much of a difference.

Sort of off topic but: I never have really understood this take. The player's round value represents the caliber of player that you are giving up to keep him. Isn't that 100% relevant? Granted, I know you're saying that's just a rule of thumb, and in fact even making the exception in this case. But I don't get why one wouldn't want to consider the round in every case. Now I totally get that after the first half of the rounds, give or take, things start to drop off a lot (odds of 12th rounder winning the league for you are ... not great). So, a guy who costs round 12 vs. a guy you don't like quite as much who costs round 16, the round doesn't make a huge difference, and you could take the better guy. Just seems like a difference in the round sacrificed always represents a difference in the net value of keeping a guy. Just a question of how much of a difference.
I guess I should have said I don't factor it in that much.  I do look at the round and it does cross my mind of "Player X in round Y is a good value" but generally I would rather keep the better player because they are better.  Where it really comes into play is in the first couple rounds where keeping a player as your 1st round pick (or 2nd round pick) is a little more projection-able.  Meaning I should have a good idea of the players that will be available for my first round pick and I may like those options better so I won't keep the guy as a first rounder even though he is better than the 7th rounder I am keeping instead.  The reason being that keeping the 1st rounder takes away all flexibility.  Where throwing the 1st rounder back still allows you to draft that guy if he is there but gives you the flexibility to take someone you like better if it presents itself.  

When you start debating the 5th round vs 12th rounder discussions and are only keeping one guy......just give me the better player.  He will help my team more.  Now if I think the players are the same caliber then I keep the later one because of the value aspect.  

Hopefully this makes sense.  

I guess I should have said I don't factor it in that much.  I do look at the round and it does cross my mind of "Player X in round Y is a good value" but generally I would rather keep the better player because they are better.  Where it really comes into play is in the first couple rounds where keeping a player as your 1st round pick (or 2nd round pick) is a little more projection-able.  Meaning I should have a good idea of the players that will be available for my first round pick and I may like those options better so I won't keep the guy as a first rounder even though he is better than the 7th rounder I am keeping instead.  The reason being that keeping the 1st rounder takes away all flexibility.  Where throwing the 1st rounder back still allows you to draft that guy if he is there but gives you the flexibility to take someone you like better if it presents itself.  

When you start debating the 5th round vs 12th rounder discussions and are only keeping one guy......just give me the better player.  He will help my team more.  Now if I think the players are the same caliber then I keep the later one because of the value aspect.  

Hopefully this makes sense.  
Yeah, I get what you're saying more clearly now ✔ It's basically an opinion that any round pick outside the first few is not very significant. Not irrelevant, just insignificant.

Thanks for the discussion. I can't keep anyone drafted before the third round so my top RBs are out. At the end of last season I thought Jeff Wilson might be a keeper in the 14th but he's toast. Thus I don't have much of a choice but to keep Tyreek in the 7th, Claypool in the 14th and go RB/RB in the first rounds and build from there.

Cheers

do not put yourself in a hole by going after RB/RB... I take the best player available and move forward.  If two players are close in value, then I review the position and my needs.  Tyreek and Claypool are the two I would keep, knowing that I could not keep Ridley.

Users who are viewing this thread