What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kenechi Udeze (1 Viewer)

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
Vikings | Udeze to be Lost for the SeasonSun, 2 Oct 2005 06:35:07 -0700According to FOXSports.com's John Czarnecki, Minnesota Vikings DE Kenechi Udeze (knee) will be lost for the season after he undergoes knee surgery later this week.

Ouch - they were expecting big things from that kid. Wonder if Minny is going to get anything out of their DL this season. They look marginal at best and I certainly won't/wouldn't be counting on any of them for consistent performance on a weekly basis.Thanks for the sharing the news.

I think they are planning on starting Spencer Johnson in his place. I have to think Erasmus James is going to be seeing a lot of playing time sooner rather than later. He could be a nice pick up in case he lives up to his potential as a dominant pass rusher.

What was the exact knee problem that required surgery? I don't recall hearing that he was injured in last week's game, though I might have missed it.

What was the exact knee problem that required surgery? I don't recall hearing that he was injured in last week's game, though I might have missed it.
Vikings defensive end Kenechi Udeze was one of three players downgraded on the injury report Friday and will not play on Sunday at Atlanta. Udeze was listed as questionable on Wednesday with a chondral defect in his left knee and downgraded to doubtful on Thursday. On Friday, he was listed along with Brian Williams and Nate Burleson as out.

Head athletic trainer Chuck Barta said Udeze got a second opinion on his knee this week and will have a scope scheduled next week to take a look at the meniscus.

"He has some ongoing symptoms," Barta said. "He's getting more fluid in there."

Udeze has a "chondral defect" in his knee. There are two types of cartilage in the knee joint. The meniscal cartilage, which most of us are more familiar with, provides the cushion between the thigh and shin bones. There is also articular cartilage, which overlies all the bony surfaces of the knee joint and the thigh bone in particular. Like the bone itself, the cartilage can be fractured or bruised. A chondral defect is an injury to the articular cartilage, and may mean anything from bruise to fracture. This is the type of injury that, when severe enough, leads to things like microfracture surgery, although minor injuries may improve with rest and the usual treatments. Early last week, Mike Tice (groan) was quoted as saying that Udeze had just "jammed his knee up" and it was thought since he went back into the game that it was unlikely to be anything serious. The injury was even minimized after his MRI on Monday. Problem is, MRI ain't the greatest exam to properly diagnose the severity of chondral defects and sometimes misses them altogether. So, the guess here is, Udeze's knee is messed up much more than originally believed (the trainer's comment that they're also interested in checking his meniscus is telling), and the scope this week will show that. They may let him try to play through the pain, but he's unlikely to be very effective this season if he does.

**Disclaimer** I've got some understanding of orthopedic issues, but am not an orthopedic surgeon. Feel free to correct any of the above if I'm wrong.

I think they are planning on starting Spencer Johnson in his place. I have to think Erasmus James is going to be seeing a lot of playing time sooner rather than later. He could be a nice pick up in case he lives up to his potential as a dominant pass rusher.
Does anyone know if James played yesterday? I didn't see the game, and see that he has a goose-egg for stats.

I think they are planning on starting Spencer Johnson in his place.  I have to think Erasmus James is going to be seeing a lot of playing time sooner rather than later.  He could be a nice pick up in case he lives up to his potential as a dominant pass rusher.
Does anyone know if James played yesterday? I didn't see the game, and see that he has a goose-egg for stats.
Yes he played. Got a dumb penalty for hitting out of bounds and was promptly taken out of the game. He didn't make any plays.

Heard Udeze is getting surgery on his knee either today or tomorrow and is expected to return in 2-3 weeks.

Duluth News Tribune

• Defensive end Kenechi Udeze is ahead of schedule on his rehabilitation and already back at his starting spot. Udeze suffered a serious injury to his left knee last September, but he said he feels fine.
noticias.info (I have no idea why...)

Q: How is Kenechi Udeze coming along? Is he on track with his rehab?

A: The guy that we see here is the only guy that I know, and it doesn't look like he's injured at all to me. I don't have that prior experience with him, but I haven't thought about the injury at all, so he must be 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duluth News Tribune

• Defensive end Kenechi Udeze is ahead of schedule on his rehabilitation and already back at his starting spot. Udeze suffered a serious injury to his left knee last September, but he said he feels fine.
noticias.info (I have no idea why...)
Q: How is Kenechi Udeze coming along? Is he on track with his rehab?

A: The guy that we see here is the only guy that I know, and it doesn't look like he's injured at all to me. I don't have that prior experience with him, but I haven't thought about the injury at all, so he must be 100%.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've noticed that they get some pretty good interviews on the site when I'm googling for stuff. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread