What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kiffin fired. Really. No, I'm serious (1 Viewer)

What a stupid, stupid, stupid man Al Davis is. The team was clearly going in the right direction despite the heavy overspending on crappy players this past offseason. Combine a young Lane Kiffin with a GM who knows what he's doing and you'll have a respectable team for the next 20 years.

But because Lane doesn't kiss his butt, Davis decides to fire the 6th coach in the last 8 years. Brilliant.

Edit to add: This is giving me a headache and I'm not even a fan of the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to pay him huh? Way to create a second Shanahan.
Well, there's currently one coaching opportunity left in the AFC West for a former Raiders coach to kick the crap out of the Raiders when they meet. Meet your newest Chiefs head coach! I can't wait for Al's presser. Did someone remember to put the plastic bag over the mic?

Maybe its unpopular, but i'm gonna go with Al Davis on this one. I mean the guy has had 4 games to get this figured out.

Its not like his QB is a first year starter, his RB a rookie, his o-line shakey, invisible WRs, and a rumored defense. How hard is it to beat 3 playoff teams in the AFC anyway?

WHat insubordination what listed?
Kiffin refused to resign when Davis wanted him to do so.
Next coach better get his money up front.
I wonder how the Kiffin and Shanahan deals will affect the search for the next Raider head coach. Any coach worth his salt would be foolish to work for the Raiders, but even if one did, he would be more foolish not to get a large part of his money paid up front.

ok, so i need resolution on the shanny thing

i have heard he got paid, i have heard he never got paid, i have heard the money was donated

what's the scoop?

someone let me know, and show me a source!

Davis couldn't stand that he wasn't winning titles. Detroit just about had the "joke of a franchise" title wrapped up, so this was a wise move.

Davis couldn't stand that he wasn't winning titles. Detroit just about had the "joke of a franchise" title wrapped up, so this was a wise move.
Especially since the Bidwells now have a semblence of a clue...the suck out loud title in the NFL is now a two-team cliff dive.

ok, so i need resolution on the shanny thing

i have heard he got paid, i have heard he never got paid, i have heard the money was donated

what's the scoop?

someone let me know, and show me a source!
All I could find was this, from the Sports Illustrated vault:
Mike Shanahan has won more regular-season games than any NFL coach over the past two seasons, but one battle he feels he'll never win is a financial dispute with his former boss, Raiders owner Al Davis . That's why Shanahan, coach of the 9-2 Broncos , has given up trying to collect the $250,000 he says Davis owes him under the contract Shanahan signed to become the Raiders' coach in 1988. Though the league has ruled in his favor, Shanahan this week will ask that Davis instead donate the money—plus interest—to the Oakland Unified School District. "It's a lot of money, but I'd rather see it go to the schoolchildren of Oakland ," Shanahan says. "It's time to move on."

The $250,000 is what Shanahan says he was due when Davis fired him four games into the '89 season. According to Shanahan , Davis told him the money would be forthcoming—unless Shanahan took a job with the Broncos , for whom he had worked as an assistant before being hired by Davis . When Shanahan objected, he says Davis told him, "If I don't want to pay you, it'll cost you more money going through the court system than the money you'll get from the contract."

Each side presented its case at an arbitration hearing conducted by the NFL in Los Angeles in 1990, and the league ruled in Shanahan 's favor. Davis appealed, and last week the league said it was still awaiting a reply from Shanahan 's lawyers.

"This is a new twist, and it's as ridiculous as all the others," Raiders chief executive Amy Trask says of the coach's demand. " Mr. Shanahan had his day in court, so to speak, where we found proof that [shanahan and the Broncos] had perjured themselves."

Trask declined to elaborate on the perjury accusation, other than to say, "Since we presented proof that he and the Broncos perjured themselves, we haven't heard a peep from Shanahan, the Broncos or the NFL ." Asked on Monday about the Raiders' charge, Shanahan laughed."

Kiffin didn't want to draft J. Russell....

If he is trying to make Kiffin look bad....thats statement won't do it.... :lmao:

Has anyone ever seen Al Davis and Alannis Morrissette in the same room?

Cheese-n-rice - when they break up, they really like to air their public laundry.

:lmao: :unsure:

Matt Millen is as qualified to be the head coach of the Raiders as he was to be the GM of the Lions, perfect for Al as Millen does a good job sucking up to the boss.

Am I really watching this??????????

How far gone from reality is Al Davis that he thought it would be a good idea to read a letter about individual players, especially his "franchise QB" and the doubts that some had in drafting him.

Am I really watching this??????????How far gone from reality is Al Davis that he thought it would be a good idea to read a letter about individual players, especially his "franchise QB" and the doubts that some had in drafting him.
Don't worry about it - he's "BEYOND THE WALL" :unsure: :confused:

Being a Raiders fan just has to be the worst right now. I used to give RaiderNation (the FBG, not the nation) a lot of crap. I can't anymore, I'm sorry dude.

Being a fan of this team is the sports equivalent of aids.

5 minutes in, and this has already been declared the best news conference ever.
I so want to work for the Raiders now. This is great. The question to Kifflin was have you talked to Al Davis about your job. ANd Kifflin tells the media no he has not talked to Al Davis.And Davis is saying that they talked at the airport about a variety of topics so Kifflin is a liar.... :unsure:

Am I really watching this??????????How far gone from reality is Al Davis that he thought it would be a good idea to read a letter about individual players, especially his "franchise QB" and the doubts that some had in drafting him.
Don't worry about it - he's "BEYOND THE WALL" :rolleyes: :confused:
I'm hoping that GW will hold a press conference like this at the end of his tenure, so we can find out all of the workings "WITHIN THE WALL"

Al is making some pretty fierce statements in his press conference, claiming Kiffin was trying to get fired, lying to players, lying to the media, lying to the owner, etc.

Al is making some pretty fierce statements in his press conference, claiming Kiffin was trying to get fired, lying to players, lying to the media, lying to the owner, etc.
It is what management does when they fire someone, and they want to get out of paying their contract.But, on the other hand, most high level organizations know it is not wise to do so in a press conference, prior to a lawsuit even being filed.

Davis complains about Kiffin complaining about the players he has on the team now, than says how he wishes they still had Moss, Gannon, and Kerry Collins.

Capella said:
Being a Raiders fan just has to be the worst right now. I used to give RaiderNation (the FBG, not the nation) a lot of crap. I can't anymore, I'm sorry dude.Being a fan of this team is the sports equivalent of aids.
I had to turn off that press conference. What a train wreck in Oakland.

ADP said:
Kiffin didn't want to draft J. Russell....If he is trying to make Kiffin look bad....thats statement won't do it.... :bag:
have you seen what he calls a fade pass? beyond awful.

I thought Al Davis was more articulate and convincing than I expected.

He sold out Monte Kiffin and put out an interesting story why Bobby Petrino left so suddenly last year to go to Arkansas, too.

I thought he came off as intelligent and genuinely empassioned about Raider football.

I must be going nutty.

He sold out Monte Kiffin and put out an interesting story why Bobby Petrino left so suddenly last year to go to Arkansas, too.

I thought he came off as intelligent and genuinely empassioned about Raider football.

I must be going nutty.
That, honestly, has never been in doubt. Al has always been a smart guy and devoted his life to the franchise. Still doesn't change the fact that he is absolutely nuts in a lot of ways.

I haven't found a link to Al's yet, but here's one to Kiffin. Short. He'll have a PC tomorrow, he says, where I presume he'll answer some of the allegations from Davis. You know, actually, I bet he doesn't. I think Kiffin will have more class than to air a bunch of dirty laundry to justify his position.

Link

And on a tech note, I despise web developers who can only write code for one browser. I keep having to switch to IE to view NFL videos, and it's so ridiculously stupid.

I haven't found a link to Al's yet, but here's one to Kiffin. Short. He'll have a PC tomorrow, he says, where I presume he'll answer some of the allegations from Davis. You know, actually, I bet he doesn't. I think Kiffin will have more class than to air a bunch of dirty laundry to justify his position.

Link

And on a tech note, I despise web developers who can only write code for one browser. I keep having to switch to IE to view NFL videos, and it's so ridiculously stupid.
I don't think it's called "airing dirty laundry" at this point. He should be preparing for litigation.

Wow, Davis was all over the place during that press conference. I still don't see how the termination is "for cause" and not performance based as Davis says. I am sure his lawyers helped him write that letter but it still rambled a ton leading me to believe that Al put his thoughts in at certain points. Some of my observations and thoughts:

1) His letter basically tells Kiffin to go out and coach the team. Kiffin then proceeds to do so. He makes decisions on the number of CB's to dress for the Buffalo game, tells Ryan what defenses to run, what defensive personnel will be used for the Buffalo game, etc. Davis may be pissed that they got torched by Denver in week one or that they ran out of DB's at the end of the Buffalo game but that would be a coaching decision that he didn't agree with and didn't work out. Don't see how that amounts to anything more than a performance based termination if those are some of the reasons prompting the termination.

2) Davis talked about how he was upset that Kiffin spilled the beans a few months ago about some of their conversations with each other. Then Davis is upset today that Kiffin denied talking to him in the airport after the Buffalo game and called him a "liar." So, Al is upset when Kiffin talks about their conversations and then gets upset when Kiffin doesn't want to talk to the press about the conversation at the Buffalo airport. Kiffin was in a no-win situation. Whatever he would say Davis was going to piss and moan about. Don't see how any of these actions are for cause either.

3) Davis was upset with Kiffin wanting to get rid of some long term Raiders (i.e. Zach Crockett) who Kiffin felt were not going to help the team win. Davis said something to the effect of "he doesn't know how to handle people who have been in the Raider family for a long time, you just can't get rid of them...we don't do that." Don't see how Kiffin wanting to get rid of a player and replace him with another that he thought was better is a for cause termination. He is trying to improve the roster, not coddle washed up players.

4) Davis regretted trading Moss for a 4th round pick when talking about how Kiffin was lamenting the fact that there were no playmakers at WR this year. Davis certainly has final say on personnel decisions so he needs to take some ownership on trading Moss -- that is certainly not Kiffin's fault; if Davis didn't want to trade Moss and Kiffin did then Davis would have not traded him (just like the pick of Russell at No. 1-- Davis had the final say on that over Kiffin's apparent objections). Davis still thinks he made some great free agent decisions and draft picks (Russell) and that the team should be competing for a championship right now; that is just not reality. Unfortunately, he stuck Kiffin with that expectation despite leaving him with an inexperienced QB and players like Javon Walker for him to throw the ball to.

5) As I see it, Davis didn't like Kiffin's "bad attitude" (which I interpreted as not saying "yes sir" everytime Al told him to do something), disagreed on some personnel decisions and bringing Ryan back as defensive coordinator, and was not happy with some of the play calling and clock management this year. To me, even if Kiffin was wrong on all accounts, it amounts to a performance based termination. There is no just cause. I never saw any circumstance where he told Kiffin to do something and Kiffin refused. It was just a bunch of ramblings on how Kiffin and Davis did not see eye to eye on personnel decisions, play calling, and Kiffin talking to the media about stuff that Davis either didn't agree with or thought wasn't true.

6) I don't see how any coach worth a hill of beans would want the job. 5 head coaches in 6 years. Kiffin actually had the longest tenure of their last three coaches and now Davis is going to refuse to pay him (just like he pulled with Shanahan) for the remainder of his contract. Considering Al wants final say on personnel decisions and will not take accountability for making bad picks, or signings, the head coach is always going to be perceived as underachieving even though he doesn't have enough talent to compete at a high level. I also thought it was stupid for Davis to say during Q and A that he saw the next head coach as only needing to be there for 4-5 years as that's what it really takes nowadays.

If Kiffin is smart, he should just issue a general statement denying Davis' allegations about him and just state that he doesn't believe he was fired for cause. Sitting around answering questions tomorrow is not going to help him with litigation and he certainly isn't going to convince Davis that he was somehow wrong about thinking he fired him for cause.

Battles said:
Does Al think talking equals sending a letter? I'm confused.
So is Al. I use to admire him in the 70's and 80's unfortunately his only qualification now is the poster boy for advanced stem-cell research.Never thought Al would approch Marge Shotz status.Sad to see :sadbanana:

I must be going nutty.
Someone do a reality check for me. Did I hear all of this correctly? Did Al Davis say that Monte Kiffin told him that he wanted to come coach for the Raiders even though he was under contract... and that Davis then had his lawyers tell the Bucs they only discussed Lane. Which by his previous statement was a lie. And then further reiterates it was a lie by saying again that Monte in reality was discussing wanting to come coach for the Raiders?Did he not admit to tampering and to lying about the contact he had with Monte Kiffin?

Also, what was it he called Chris Mortensen? "A practiced liar" or "a professional liar" or something like that?

I must be going nutty.
Someone do a reality check for me. Did I hear all of this correctly? Did Al Davis say that Monte Kiffin told him that he wanted to come coach for the Raiders even though he was under contract... and that Davis then had his lawyers tell the Bucs they only discussed Lane. Which by his previous statement was a lie. And then further reiterates it was a lie by saying again that Monte in reality was discussing wanting to come coach for the Raiders?Did he not admit to tampering and to lying about the contact he had with Monte Kiffin?

Also, what was it he called Chris Mortensen? "A practiced liar" or "a professional liar" or something like that?
Davis said that Monte called to talk to him about how to handle Lane. Davis claimed he knew it was 'really' because Monte wanted the defensive coordinator job. Davis said had to let the league know about the conversation otherwise his failure to do so could be considered tampering.He called him Mortensen and basically accused Kiffin of leaking stories to Mortensen.

I must be going nutty.

Davis said that Monte called to talk to him about how to handle Lane. Davis claimed he knew it was because Monte wanted the defensive coordinator job and Davis had to let the league know about it otherwise his failure to do so could be considered tampering.He called him Mortensen and basically accused Kiffin of leaking stories to Mortensen.
I don't think that's what Davis said.IIRC he said Monte Kiffin told him that Kiffin wanted to come coach for the Raiders but he was under contract. Davis didn't say that all they discussed was how to handle Lane... he said he had his lawyers tell the Bucs that. Twice he indicated that they discussed Monte Kiffin's desire to coach for the Raiders.

Users who are viewing this thread