What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kindergarten Redshirting / good? / bad? / fair to younger kids? (1 Viewer)

If I had to do it over again I would have held my youngest son back. He was struggling even in preschool. Found out in 2nd grade he had dyslexia. Was always a concern whether to hold him back. The school pushed to keep him at grade level because he had an IEP, blah blah blah. He's a sophomore in high shool now and through a lot of specialized tutoring, he's doing well. But will most likely never be at grade level in reading. I believe holding him back would have helped.

I graduated high school at 17 and turned 18 the summer before college. I was always one of the youngest people in my grade. It didn't affect me academically, as I was near the top of my class, but I was pretty skinny early on in HS and not the greatest socially. I don't wish my parents held me back, though.
Exact same situation here. And I'm holding my kid back. Apparently people are different and we can't make blanket statements about individual situations.
Why are you holding your kid back?
As I stated earlier, the main thing is that he's socially immature. He's also going from a private half-day kinder class of 9 to an all-day public kinder class of 20. He's also got some sensory processing stuff that I won't get into here.
I can't say I agree with the socially immature angle, but I certainly understand the rest of your reasoning.
Thanks for your partial permission to make my own choices about raising my kids. It means a lot to me!!

In our state wrestling is very popular. It is VERY common for parents of "studs" to hold their middle school kids back a year. As long as they are club wrestling and not wrestling for a middle school, it does not effect their eligibility.

Personally, I think it is pathetic.
this is a totally different thing. I have never heard of anything like this
Not wrestling, but same concept..http://deadspin.com/why-rich-lacrosse-parents-are-making-their-kids-repeat-1570381983
Great article.

""There's no social reason, emotional reason, or academic reason they're [redshirting]," the parent says. "It's to have an advantage physically over everybody else. It's institutionalized cheating, and it's everywhere, and the thing that's troubling is everybody's closing their eyes.""

My kid did not attend nursery school and will repeat kindergarten. He never completed his work in class but is not dumb. He is quite social. Assuming he understands schoolwork next year and the light goes, he would graduate high school at the age of 18. He was one of the youngest students in his class this year.

In our state wrestling is very popular. It is VERY common for parents of "studs" to hold their middle school kids back a year. As long as they are club wrestling and not wrestling for a middle school, it does not effect their eligibility.

Personally, I think it is pathetic.
Same thing happens here too. I've have 2 students that, because of wrestling, repeated 7th grade (per parent request). BUT our district is pretty much opposed to this so the kids enroll at a nearby Christian school for 7th part 2 and then come back for 8th.

There is one powerhouse wresting HS here where I would wager 75% of their studs were held back at some point. Fortunately my school doesn't feed into that one.

Here's a very sad story from that program. This kid was so fun to watch. http://www.bakersfield.com/sports/2006/02/11/land-s-last-stand.html

Read the spoiler after the above. Since he couldn't wrestle his senior year he lost interest in school. I'm not sure if he graduated.

So this parent thinks it is everywhere, and the National Center for Education Statistics thinks it is 6% based on data collected.

I am going to side with the data here...

At 6% it means there might be one student in your classroom who was held back

I graduated high school at 17 and turned 18 the summer before college. I was always one of the youngest people in my grade. It didn't affect me academically, as I was near the top of my class, but I was pretty skinny early on in HS and not the greatest socially. I don't wish my parents held me back, though.
Exact same situation here. And I'm holding my kid back. Apparently people are different and we can't make blanket statements about individual situations.
As I stated earlier, the main thing is that he's socially immature. He's also going from a private half-day kinder class of 9 to an all-day public kinder class of 20. He's also got some sensory processing stuff that I won't get into here.
I can't say I agree with the socially immature angle, but I certainly understand the rest of your reasoning.
Thanks for your partial permission to make my own choices about raising my kids. It means a lot to me!!
I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your kids, but I am giving my opinion on this issue and it is an issue to a lot of folks.

Who determines what constitutes redshirting?
per the National Center for Ed Stats:

A child who enrolled in kindergarten for the first time in 2010-11 is classified as an early, on-time, or delayed kindergarten entrant depending on whether the parent reported enrolling the child early, enrolling the child when he or she was old enough, or waiting until the child was older relative to school guidelines about when children can start school based on their birth date. SOURCE: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, Early Childhood Longitudinal Study, Kindergarten Class of 2010-11 (ECLS-K:2011), Preliminary Restricted-Use Data File. see Digest of Education Statistics 2012, table 136.

Quite a bit of judging here on both sides.

As a counter example, Finnish students don't start formal schooling until the age of 7. My friend who grew up there is adamant that US children start formal education too early, believes at that age much of their time should be dedicated to play. She makes a decent case.

We have an August and May children, boys, both < 3. Might consider holding back the Aug one but have some time to decide.
Who is judging?
My bad, I was reading a few articles and glanced through the comments, mixed them up with here. Looks like only JohnnyU judging within this thread, pretty open otherwise
LOL, of course I'm judging. That's what this thread is about and I gave my opinion when I think it is wrong. I'm judging from the point of view that parents are holding kids back for reasons that give unfair advantages to rich kids over the poor and minorities and younger kids in lots of cases. However some are legitimate reasons, I get that.
The main advantage rich kids will always have over poor kids is, by and large, parents in wealthier families give a #### about education and those in poor families don't.

I have heard the hockey thing bc my son plays hockey. He is screwed bc he is a November birthday. Nothing to do with school though so carry on

We have never had a kid held back for athletics in the 15 years I have taught MS.

I have heard the hockey thing bc my son plays hockey. He is screwed bc he is a November birthday. Nothing to do with school though so carry on

We have never had a kid held back for athletics in the 15 years I have taught MS.
Most youth sports leagues go by age and not grade anyway. They all have their own cut-offs, most of which differ slightly from sport to sport.

Obviously HS football and basketball are big exceptions.

As a counter example, Finnish students don't start formal schooling until the age of 7. My friend who grew up there is adamant that US children start formal education too early, believes at that age much of their time should be dedicated to play. She makes a decent case.

We have an August and May children, boys, both < 3. Might consider holding back the Aug one but have some time to decide.
Who is judging?
My bad, I was reading a few articles and glanced through the comments, mixed them up with here. Looks like only JohnnyU judging within this thread, pretty open otherwise
LOL, of course I'm judging. That's what this thread is about and I gave my opinion when I think it is wrong. I'm judging from the point of view that parents are holding kids back for reasons that give unfair advantages to rich kids over the poor and minorities and younger kids in lots of cases. However some are legitimate reasons, I get that.
The main advantage rich kids will always have over poor kids is, by and large, parents in wealthier families give a #### about education and those in poor families don't.
Man, that is an over generalization if I ever heard one. At least I only complained about specific reasons parents hold kids back as an unfair advantage. Lots of poor mothers and fathers care about their child's education but can't afford to hold their kid back because of day care cost.

Who is judging?
Man, that is an over generalization if I ever heard one. At least I only complained about specific reasons parents hold kids back as an unfair advantage. Lots of poor mothers and fathers care about their child's education but can't afford to hold their kid back because of day care cost.
You say it is an over-generalization, I think it is a broadly accurate generalization. There are certainly plenty of exceptions in both directions, but the meat of the curve fits my statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
My nephew has to go to summer school or he won't graduate kindergarten :bag:

What a weird thing to freak out about.
No one is freaking out, just discussing an interesting topic.
Yeah, hearing people ##### about obscure things that "aren't fair" is enlightening. The distances people will go to make excuses is always fascinating.
If you don't like it, leave. I happen to think this is a very interesting topic.
Discussing the pros and cons is interesting. Having some ####### judge what people decide for their own kids on the basis of some crap social justice argument is tedious.

What a weird thing to freak out about.
No one is freaking out, just discussing an interesting topic.
Yeah, hearing people ##### about obscure things that "aren't fair" is enlightening. The distances people will go to make excuses is always fascinating.
If you don't like it, leave. I happen to think this is a very interesting topic.
Discussing the pros and cons is interesting. Having some ####### judge what people decide for their own kids on the basis of some crap social justice argument is tedious.
You seem to have a lot of pound signs in your posts.

20 years in public education here...but take this as anecdotal:

Every kid is different but if i had to generalize I would say it was better to wait. Especially for boys.
13 years in school. Dec 22 birthday. Started early despite school objections. Male. I disagree. I was the youngest and smallest in my class until very late in high school when I had a growth spurt. Got girls, made the teams, even won some student council elections. In 5th grade they wanted to skip me ahead a year. I wish they had as my teacher was right. I was extremely bored and unchallenged at my own grade level. It would become a problem.

You felt bentley's son was socially mature enough to enter? You probably should have spoken up to him at the time then
I personally don't agree with social reasoning for holding a kid back, but that is my opinion. Kids figure it out on their own in most cases.
My nephew is one of those socially immature kids who should have waited to enter kindergarten. He was born early Sept. and because he was a bright kid they had him start kindergarten when he was still only 4. He was always the youngest kid in class and had trouble in school despite being highly intelligent.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
CoolHandLukeB said:
I didn't turn 18 until a month into college. It sucked.
Listen to this guy, he's knows things that suck.

Thunderlips said:
I'm a bit confused about the sports thing. When I was in school, if you were a certain amount older....you couldn't play your senior year. How would that benefit a future in sports?
It's FBG's - their kids are going pro as high school seniors.

I do wish we had pushed my son up a level in little league this year. He was bored as an older second grader playing in a league that was supposed to be 1st & 2nd graders, but had some Kindergarteners. He was like a foot taller than some of his teammates.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Our younger daughter has a May birthday, is small for her age, was very shy and we considered holding her back, but ultimately did not. Now, she just finished 3rd grade, but will be entering an accelerated cluster for 4th graders next year, where they will start the 5th grade curriculum.

On the flip side, my older daughter just finished 5th grade, and one of her classmates was a "redshirt" (or however you want to describe it). The classmate was a bully and behavioral problem early on in 1-3rd grades, but in the last couple of years has matured, and was one of 3 kids with straight A's in 5th grade.

I think it worked out in each case.

I do think the "danger" in holding kids back in the hopes that they are "smarter" is that the learning curve at a young age is massive, but that it flattens out as kids get older. So you may find yourself with a kid who is reading before his/her classmates, but by the time kids are learning substantive material, your kid will be about where he/she is going to be in life.

My oldest went "late" and doesn't have nearly the same work ethic/ desire for school as her younger sister.

My youngest went "early" and is a machine with schoolwork, smart as can be.

I often wonder if the younger daughter going in early is why she takes her work so seriously.

I still don't get why Johnny gives a #### what other parents do with their kids.
Johnny Jr. is probably being beat out for a starting position at tee ball by a red-shirted kindergartner.
I'm too damn old to have a johnny jr. I do have grown step children and a step granddaughter that my wife and I raised.
So why do you care? There's a million things that may seem unfair but this seems to be very minor compared with other things.

Kind of reminds me of the "don't vaccinate your kids and let the herd protect them" mentality. Everyone should hold their kids back to get this advantage.

I still don't get why Johnny gives a #### what other parents do with their kids.
Johnny Jr. is probably being beat out for a starting position at tee ball by a red-shirted kindergartner.
I'm too damn old to have a johnny jr. I do have grown step children and a step granddaughter that my wife and I raised.
So why do you care? There's a million things that may seem unfair but this seems to be very minor compared with other things.
It was on 60 minutes and other news outlets, so I'm not so sure how minor it is.

It was on 60 minutes and other news outlets, so I'm not so sure how minor it is.
Minor in my mind is that an individual person doing this should be of no concern to anyone. I agree with Red - it's interesting to discuss the pros/cons because it does impact us individually if we have kids that fit the criteria. But why you would care in general doesn't make sense to me. If you are trying to weigh pros/cons for your granddaughter then that's great but as others have pointed out your granddaughter is a singular case (as is every other kid) - what you decide is best for her shouldn't be what everyone else decides for their kid.

Kind of reminds me of the "don't vaccinate your kids and let the herd protect them" mentality. Everyone should hold their kids back to get this advantage.
These two aren't even remotely alike.
DISAGREE.....

. If a kid needs it done....then so be it, but parents look like douches if/when they are specifically utilizing this to "alpha male" their kid in sports or leadership roles within their class.

Yes, everyone should hold their kids back and then there isn't any advantage.
If you do that,.......... I'll hold my kid back AGAIN. You don't know how many times I'll hold him back in order to get him a fair chance at being a sports superstar or Class President.

Minor in my mind is that an individual person doing this should be of no concern to anyone. I agree with Red - it's interesting to discuss the pros/cons because it does impact us individually if we have kids that fit the criteria. But why you would care in general doesn't make sense to me. If you are trying to weigh pros/cons for your granddaughter then that's great but as others have pointed out your granddaughter is a singular case (as is every other kid) - what you decide is best for her shouldn't be what everyone else decides for their kid.
I guess you could say my concerns are for everyone as a whole and if parents are holding their kids back so it gives them an advantage athletically, socially, and even academically over their classmates, I don't don't think that is fair to those who don't have the means to hold their kid back due to cost of day care or for other reasons. I kind of hope everyone starts doing it to nullify the advantage.

DISAGREE.....

. If a kid needs it done....then so be it, but parents look like douches if/when they are specifically utilizing this to "alpha male" their kid in sports or leadership roles within their class.
There's basically never a reason to not vaccinate your kid (I'm leaving the possibility that a kid could be allergic to the vaccine although I don't know if that's possible) - there's plenty of reasons to hold your kid back. Do I think that parents who hold kids back solely for athletics are stupid, of course but that is the vast exception to the rule I would imagine.

DISAGREE.....

This guy gets it.

Yes, everyone should hold their kids back and then there isn't any advantage.
If you do that,.......... I'll hold my kid back AGAIN. You don't know how many times I'll hold him back in order to get him a fair chance at being a sports superstar or Class President.
eventually the will max out in HS no? I think 21 is the max in my wife's HS

I guess you could say my concerns are for everyone as a whole and if parents are holding their kids back so it gives them an advantage athletically, socially, and even academically over their classmates, I don't don't think that is fair to those who don't have the means to hold their kid back due to cost of day care or for other reasons. I kind of hope everyone starts doing it to nullify the advantage.
As I tell my kids "The fair comes to town once a year."

As I tell my kids "The fair comes to town once a year."
You're so witty.

People do stuff all the time that give their kids an advantage - private tutors, coaches and the like. I also don't see a problem with wanted to give your kid the best opportunity to succeed - everybody wants that for their kid. Do you send your granddaughter to ballet, gymnastics, or other extra-curricular activities that others can't afford? If so, why?

Users who are viewing this thread