What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

KP's top 100 movies of the 00s -...and WE ARE DONE!!! (1 Viewer)

81. KUNG FU PANDA

Trailer

Love this damn movie.  I think Oogway might be by favorite character from a kids movie in quite some time.  Probably don't need to say a lot about the kids movies.  Like I keep repeating, the best of them have heart, humor for all age groups, and some action.  This movie has all that and then some.  Each sequel seemed to drop off a tad as they go, but still have enjoyed all of them. 

bananafish said:
My uncle taught mathematics with him at Princeton. He (my uncle) is and was a very odd person as well. Great movie.
That is awesome.  Did he see the movie or read the book and have any thoughts on what they got right or wrong or how Crowe's portrayal of him was?

btw- I know I'll disagree with some of these, but of no consequence- this thread is fantastic. impressive and inspiring stuff putting this all together so far between the listing and the nutshells. :thumbup:   one minor request if you get the time... put the whole list in your first post so we can all see it in one place, picks relative to eachother without flipping through pages of the thread.

btw- I know I'll disagree with some of these, but of no consequence- this thread is fantastic. impressive and inspiring stuff putting this all together so far between the listing and the nutshells. :thumbup:   one minor request if you get the time... put the whole list in your first post so we can all see it in one place, picks relative to eachother without flipping through pages of the thread.
Disagreement is good, I always love to know what I post that people don't like. 

How about I try to update the OP with the list every 20 picks or so? 

I've seen 9/20

99. WEDDING CRASHERS

94. THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

92.  HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN

91. A BEAUTIFUL MIND

89. GONE BABY GONE

87. HOT FUZZ

83.  Into the Wild
82. DRAG ME TO HELL

81. KUNG FU PANDA

I've seen 9/20

99. WEDDING CRASHERS

91. A BEAUTIFUL MIND

89. GONE BABY GONE

87. HOT FUZZ

83.  Into the Wild
82. DRAG ME TO HELL

81. KUNG FU PANDA
Agree/Disagree on those?

Updated the OP with the list.  Will get back on this very soon. Damn being sick, Stanley Cup, timdrafts, and life distracting me last week +.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oof, two weeks later..  Let's get back into movie mode!

80. SERENITY

Trailer

Not to be confused with the Beckinsale/Cusack rom-com.  Love me some Joss Whedon.  I think this one can be watched either way - as a closer to watching Firefly, or on it's own.  I do recommend both, I mean Firefly has a whole 14 episodes, so just watch it already!.  Just a well made, fun, sci fi movie with a bunch of great Wheedon regulars.  What more do you want?

79. GANGS OF NEW YORK

Trailer

One of the few late stage Scorsese movie that I really like.  Of course a lot of my love is for DDL and his performance as Bill the Butcher.  Would have loved to be on that set as he shows up for work on daily basis in character and abuses the #### out of everybody.  Still don't understand the casting of DIaz - I thought she was the lone sore spot in an otherwise fantastic cast. 

78. GINGER SNAPS

Trailer

One of my favorite surprises of the decade, and a good lesson on not judging a movie by it's cover art.  As I said, I have a soft spot for the horror movies that blend the comedy and good horror elements.  Here we have a rare werewolf entry in the genre that has been overstuffed with vampires and zombies.  Not a new concept, but we get the transformation as a well done metaphor for puberty.  If you try it an like it, don't be too eager to watch the sequels. 

I've seen 9/20

99. WEDDING CRASHERS

91. A BEAUTIFUL MIND

89. GONE BABY GONE

87. HOT FUZZ

83.  Into the Wild
82. DRAG ME TO HELL

81. KUNG FU PANDA
Agree/Disagree on those?
It's hard to say without seeing more of your list but I would probably have put A Beautiful Mind, Into the Wild and Kung Fu Panda higher and left off Drag Me to Hell. The others are placed about where I'd expect.

Oof, two weeks later..  Let's get back into movie mode!

80. SERENITY

Trailer

Not to be confused with the Beckinsale/Cusack rom-com.  Love me some Joss Whedon.  I think this one can be watched either way - as a closer to watching Firefly, or on it's own.  I do recommend both, I mean Firefly has a whole 14 episodes, so just watch it already!.  Just a well made, fun, sci fi movie with a bunch of great Wheedon regulars.  What more do you want?
The Cusack Beckinsale rom-com is Serendipity.  Watchable only because she's so hot and also featuring peak Bridget Moynahan. 

Fully endorse Serenity.  Great movie from a great show.

I knew it was Serendipity.  It was just a piss poor attempt at humor that missed the mark.   She always looks great, but I always thought Kate looked especially fantastic in that movie. 

77. MYSTIC RIVER

Trailer

I fully admit to the seemingly arbitrary rankings here.  Some movies are harder for me to rank than others, and if I did this list again in a year it would look different (probably mostly the same movies, just rearranged.  This is a movie that I had trouble ranking, and I am betting it is because it's one of the few on the list I haven't seen multiple times.  Just like Scorsese and another popular director coming up soon, it is one of the few movies of Clint's that I really like from the last 15 years or so.  Remember loving the performances and chemistry of the 3 core characters.  All of the movies from Lehane's novels have been top notch that I have seen. 

76. SUPER TROOPERS

Trailer

Most of the comedy movies that made the list were movies that I didn't 100% dig the first time I watched them.  That seems to be the case with me and this genre a lot - I end up watching a few times, catching more stuff, and then it grows into something that I watch over and over.  That was definitely the case with this one.  Got a couple chuckles, but that's about it.  Then, more people talk about it, quote it, I watch it again and start doing the same thing.  There are also a few 'big' comedy movies that didn't make the list because it was the exact opposite.  Saw it in the theater, laughed my ### off, watched it again, and it didn't feel as fresh because I already laughed at everything.  (does that even make a damn bit of sense?)

75. BLACK HAWK DOWN

Trailer

This was the director I was referring to in the other post - one of the few of Scott's that I love lately.  An odd mix of actors that made for a great ensemble cast, great action, and a great story (I admit to being a sucker for the 'based on a true story' movies.).  Not much to say here - one of the better war movies of the era. 

77. MYSTIC RIVER

Trailer

I fully admit to the seemingly arbitrary rankings here.  Some movies are harder for me to rank than others, and if I did this list again in a year it would look different (probably mostly the same movies, just rearranged.  This is a movie that I had trouble ranking, and I am betting it is because it's one of the few on the list I haven't seen multiple times.  Just like Scorsese and another popular director coming up soon, it is one of the few movies of Clint's that I really like from the last 15 years or so.  Remember loving the performances and chemistry of the 3 core characters.  All of the movies from Lehane's novels have been top notch that I have seen. 
I'd find it hard to rank because while the core performances are great, the movie itself is somewhat lacking for me.  

Pretty sure I'd have Black Hawk Down significantly higher.
I bet quite a few would.  There are also going to be some big movies that are widely loved that are not my list that I am sure are going to cause some debate.  I can think of at least 20 off the top of my head that I would bet would make a lot of the FFA's top 50 lists.  Look forward to that discussion towards the end.  Not sure what it was about BHD (another movie it has been a little while since I have seen it), but for me it didn't have that extra punch that would move it up the list quite a bit.  Seemed more straight forward than a war movie like Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, or Platoon - movies that seemed to dig deeper into the psyche of the characters and the horrors of war.  Black Hawk felt more like a damn good action movie that happens to be about a conflict, and usually action movies don't rank highly for me.  Again, not sure if any of that makes any damn sense. 

I bet quite a few would.  There are also going to be some big movies that are widely loved that are not my list that I am sure are going to cause some debate.  I can think of at least 20 off the top of my head that I would bet would make a lot of the FFA's top 50 lists.  Look forward to that discussion towards the end.  Not sure what it was about BHD (another movie it has been a little while since I have seen it), but for me it didn't have that extra punch that would move it up the list quite a bit.  Seemed more straight forward than a war movie like Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, or Platoon - movies that seemed to dig deeper into the psyche of the characters and the horrors of war.  Black Hawk felt more like a damn good action movie that happens to be about a conflict, and usually action movies don't rank highly for me.  Again, not sure if any of that makes any damn sense. 
It's not exactly a character study, that's for sure.  But the pacing and the chaos and the intimate nature of the film elevate it for me.  

74. THE FOUNTAIN

Trailer

Flawed movie for sure, but I found the core story to be a damn touching one.  I fully admit to being an Aronofsky fan boy (well, until Noah anyway), so of course I love the look and feel of this one.  The score is one that I listen to quite a bit as well. 

73. TRICK 'R TREAT

Trailer

Yet another damn fun horror movie.  Set up in the style of the old Creepshow movies - you have 4 shorter stories that mesh into each other somewhat.  Got creepy kids, jump scares, laughs.  This quickly became a part of my rotation of movies to watch around Halloween time. 

72. IRON MAN

Trailer

So damn fun.  This is a role that RDJ was born to do, and it's one of the best Marvel (hell, superhero movies) out there.  Usually what I dig most about these movies, since I don't read comics, is the origin stories.  This was a great one with humor and action.  I am sure we will see RDJ at least two more times as I go through this countdown too....

I had to take a break because I ####ed up and remembered a couple of foreign movies and had to rewatch and rearrange some movies.  Thankfully there were a couple in this range that really didn't hold up as well and I didn't feel too bad giving them the heave-ho from the list.  Even with the delays, I WILL get this and my next list done before timmy completes his book rankings....

71. CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON

Trailer

I think there are still one or two movies of his I need to see, but have been a fan of everything that Ang Lee touches (Ok, maybe not so much Hulk, but I probably still like that one more than most).  Really dig the movie, but for me the only reason that is might be lower on the list than expected is that it really doesn't connect with me story-wise.  Just a beautiful movie on all other levels though. 

70. BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON

Trailer

Another lesson learned of not judging a movie by it's title or cover.  Passed this one over so many times, tried it, and loved it.  Yet again, this hits that soft spot for me of poking fun at the genre while being a quality entry in the genre.  Here we have a camera crew following the main character as he trains and gets ready to be the next great slasher (probably a better way to put that).  It also hit on my love of slasher movies, since I grew up on horror - especially the Friday the 13th and Halloween series. 

69.  MOTHER

Trailer

Bong Joon-ho put out 3 damn good movies during this time, and most here will know him from Snowpiercer, but to me this was the stand out of the bunch (spoiler alert - it's the only one of his on the list).  Fantastic performance by Hye-ja Kim as the title character searching for the truth about a crime her son was charged with.   If you haven't seen it, it's probably one just to watch cold, don't bother with the trailer - just trust me.  Like all his movies, this one also looks fantastic. 

68. 25TH HOUR

Trailer

Very rare to see a Spike Lee joint on any of my best of lists, but here we go.  Love the story, but what carries this is the performances from a fantastic ensemble cast: Ed Norton, PSH, Brian Cox, Barry Pepper, and others.  Plus I think it's one of the least "Spikey" of Lee's movies, which helps a bit.  I actually didn't know until I was just poking around on the wiki page that this was based on a book by David Benioff of GoT fame. 

68. 25TH HOUR

Trailer

Very rare to see a Spike Lee joint on any of my best of lists, but here we go.  Love the story, but what carries this is the performances from a fantastic ensemble cast: Ed Norton, PSH, Brian Cox, Barry Pepper, and others.  Plus I think it's one of the least "Spikey" of Lee's movies, which helps a bit.  I actually didn't know until I was just poking around on the wiki page that this was based on a book by David Benioff of GoT fame. 
Norton and PSH? How am I not aware of this??? 

I guess from 2000-2005 I missed a lot of good ones. Was working crazy hours and was a lot more into video games at that time.

67. SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE

Trailer

I probably love this movie more than most (I was surprised that it was lower than a 7 on imdb), but I am a sucker for movies about making movies.  Here we have the odd circumstances during the making of Nosferatu.  Willem Defoe is unrecognizable in his fantastic performance as Max Schreck.  Love the sets, acting, and dark humor of the movie.  You know it's good when my hatred of Cary Elwes can't even deter me from digging the movie. 

67. SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE

Trailer

I probably love this movie more than most (I was surprised that it was lower than a 7 on imdb), but I am a sucker for movies about making movies.  Here we have the odd circumstances during the making of Nosferatu.  Willem Defoe is unrecognizable in his fantastic performance as Max Schreck.  Love the sets, acting, and dark humor of the movie.  You know it's good when my hatred of Cary Elwes can't even deter me from digging the movie. 
HUGE fan of this movie. Defoe was scene-chewingly amazing here. might be my favorite vampire movie.

74. THE FOUNTAIN
I so wanted to like this- but it was an absolute trainwreck for me. I stayed away from Noah, but this one made it somewhat easier to do so. kudos to him for pushing the envelope with story and presentation though- I'll always respect that over the standard hollywood cynicism type of movie remake/rehash/sequel.

71. CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON
loved this. beautiful to look at, and if you buy into the kung fu physics- the story and performance are amazing. if I took the time to do this amazing thing you're doing, I have a feeling this would be in the top 20 for me.

66. ELEPHANT

Trailer

Unsettling movie that has stuck with me over the years.  Here we have Gus Van Sant going back to more experimental/arthouse mode.  This is the middle movie of his "death triolgy", and here we follow around students as they go about their business the morning of a Columbine-like incident.  Love the way the camera moves around the halls calmly following the kids, and it makes it more nerve racking since we know what is going on elsewhere.  Didn't even know until today that it took top prize at Cannes. 

65. X-Men 2

Trailer

Time to get a little less dark and serious with the movies.  Gotta have more superhero movies on the list!  This is a rare sequel that does everything right - we get more backstory on established characters, get new ones, ramps up the action, etc, etc.  Actually, a lot of the sequels in this time frame get it right, as we might see later.  I do like what they did in First Class, but this was the last of the even watchable X-Men movies for some time.  3 is a complete turd. 

HUGE fan of this movie. Defoe was scene-chewingly amazing here. might be my favorite vampire movie.
:thumbup:

Not sure how much decent competition there is for that top spot, though.  Still have a soft spot for my 80s horror I watched the hell out of, so Lost Boys and Fright Night are loves of mine.

Not sure how much decent competition there is for that top spot, though.  Still have a soft spot for my 80s horror I watched the hell out of, so Lost Boys and Fright Night are loves of mine.
yeah... off the top of my head, not exactly a super deep category. really liked What We Do In the Shadows. Lost Boys- definitely fun... plus how can you go wrong with the Cories. what about Love at First Bite- you have to love that one, right?

I so wanted to like this- but it was an absolute trainwreck for me. I stayed away from Noah, but this one made it somewhat easier to do so. kudos to him for pushing the envelope with story and presentation though- I'll always respect that over the standard hollywood cynicism type of movie remake/rehash/sequel.

loved this. beautiful to look at, and if you buy into the kung fu physics- the story and performance are amazing. if I took the time to do this amazing thing you're doing, I have a feeling this would be in the top 20 for me.
I get that about The Fountain.  Honestly, it is a bit of a trainwreck, but the core movie clicked with me.  You say this movie led you away from Noah, but did you watch his other two movies between this and Noah?

Crouching Tiger is one that grows on me the more I watch it, but I think for me it's still one that I sit back and enjoy the view, but nothing connects emotionally for me, especially when I was looking at my long list of foreign movies that I had to try to rank and get in here I just couldn't get it higher up.  I would love to see other top 20 lists, as I am sure there are a bunch I haven't seen or forgot about or just barely missed out on my favs.   My list originally had 230 movies or so on it that I would probably give a solid 7 rating to from this era (and that wasn't even getting to the documentaries)

yeah... off the top of my head, not exactly a super deep category. really liked What We Do In the Shadows. Lost Boys- definitely fun... plus how can you go wrong with the Cories. what about Love at First Bite- you have to love that one, right?
Have you seen Dream a Little Dream?  You can go wrong with the Cories.  Also for me Lost Boys = rekindling my love for Star.  :wub:

Hmm.  Don't know that I have seen Love at First Bite....

Have you seen Dream a Little Dream?  You can go wrong with the Cories.  Also for me Lost Boys = rekindling my love for Star.  :wub:

Hmm.  Don't know that I have seen Love at First Bite....
haven't seen the Dream movie, but don't blaspheme the cories dammit.

Love at First Bite might be fantastic or drek. I saw it in the theaters as a 10ish yo kid and remember liking it *ok*

I get that about The Fountain.  Honestly, it is a bit of a trainwreck, but the core movie clicked with me.  You say this movie led you away from Noah, but did you watch his other two movies between this and Noah?

Crouching Tiger is one that grows on me the more I watch it, but I think for me it's still one that I sit back and enjoy the view, but nothing connects emotionally for me, especially when I was looking at my long list of foreign movies that I had to try to rank and get in here I just couldn't get it higher up.  I would love to see other top 20 lists, as I am sure there are a bunch I haven't seen or forgot about or just barely missed out on my favs.   My list originally had 230 movies or so on it that I would probably give a solid 7 rating to from this era (and that wasn't even getting to the documentaries)
liked The Wrestler a lot... Black Swan, not so much (similar to Fountain for me- swing anna miss, but at least he's going out there swinging). I just heard so many bad things about Noah- including from the wife who I don't always agree with about movies, but who I understand and respect completely about them- that I figured I didn't need to bother.

funny- I remember feeling pretty emotionally connected to Crouching Tiger, which pushes it up the lists for me. 

I should really try to do this list thing- I think I'd be hard pressed to come up with a 100 movies that I'd rate high enough to want to rate them in a list... but my memory sucks, so I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of stuff

Watched Interview with a Vampire for the first time recently and enjoyed it

Users who are viewing this thread