What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LaCanfora: Teams putting out feelers for Nicks trade (1 Viewer)

netnalp

Footballguy
Team preparing bids for Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nickshttp://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24077085/team-preparing-bids-for-giants-wide-receiver-hakeen-nicks%E2%80%9D

Several NFL clubs are planning to determine the degree to which New York Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks might be available via trade following New York dropping to 0-6 this week, according to league sources.

Teams view Nicks as the best option available and with the Giants in a freefall, big changes possibly on the way there, and Nicks a potential unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, other general managers want to hear for themselves just how amenable to a trade Giants GM Jerry Reese might be. Several GMs contacted believed the Giants could get at least a third-round pick for Nicks, even if he is just a late-season “rental” who then hits the open market in March.

Nicks, 25, could end up being the highest-paid player in what looks to be a pedestrian free-agent class (tight end Jimmy Graham, for instance, is going to be franchised by the Saints if he isn’t extended), and a team acquiring the star receiver at the trade deadline would only owe him about $1.4M for the remainder of the season based on his $2.7M salary).

Among the teams holding internal discussions about him, according to club sources, were the 49ers and Falcons (who lost Julio Jones for the season but are not conceding the season … at least certainly not yet). New England and Baltimore are also contending teams in need of an upgrade at receiver, and the market for Nicks would be robust, sources believe, if the Giants express a willingness to listen to offers.

New York is an old-school team, and wouldn’t want to give off indications it is writing off the season, however, with Nicks a big fan of Eli Manning, and someone not seeking a trade himself, the strong possibility always remains the Giants could still re-sign him as a free agent in the spring even if he did depart. There is no ill will or hard feelings between the sides, sources said. It's just the contrary, and Nicks has never blanched or complained about not getting an extension from the team.

The Giants did sign receiver Victor Cruz to an extension however, and with Rueben Randle emerging this season and the team aging and with many holes to fill, some wonder how many resources New York would invest into one position group, like receiver (especially with Manning able to cultivate pass catchers over the years). Nicks would be in line to command more than the $12 million a year Mike Wallace got from Miami in free agency last year.

Nicks seems like a really old 25.

I wonder what the market value for him would be in a trade? 2nd? I have to think the Panthers would be really interested in him.

Falcons? I hope not. SF or NE would be huge.

There got to be others interested if this is true.

At this point I would love to see him traded - Eli just doesn't seem comfortable throwing a ball more than 10 yards.

Would be thrilled if he landed in NE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giants might make a deal if they feel they can get Clemson WR Sammy Watkins or another top WR in the 2014 draft. I'm concerned though because that's another hole to be filled when they'll have big needs at O-line, LB, TE, CB. And maybe at RB, S, and DE depending how guys comeback from injuries.

I wonder what the market value for him would be in a trade? 2nd? I have to think the Panthers would be really interested in him.
Rumor on Giants sites is that Nicks would love to go back to the NC area to be near his family. Also that he has his ring and is looking for his big payday. Giants should have room to re-sing him with the expected cuts this off-season. Question is is he interested in coming back?

Personally, I think he's at an age where the highest bidder wins out over going "home". He's got this contract and possibly one more so he's got to make his money. I don't think there will be any discounts. Plus he's got a ring so even crap teams won't be out of the running.

The most ridiculous thing I've read from a beat writer is that the Giants should trade him and then re-sign him in the off-season to essentially get a free pick. I doubt that would happen. The team he'd go to would likely lock him up if they are going to spend a pick on him.

As a Nicks owner, I fear that WRs really don't adjust quickly into new offenses. I hope he stays put or at the very least gets traded to a team who's bye is already done.

I think he'd be effective in Detroit because I don't feel he's a WR1 but a fantastic WR2. He seems like a pretty good character guy but the injuries are a major drawback. Detroit should send Leshoure and a 3rd over and I'd be fine with that.

They have already burned 2nd rounders on Broyles, Titus, and a 3rd on Derrick Williams (who?) in recent years so this would be a bargain.

I think he'd be effective in Detroit because I don't feel he's a WR1 but a fantastic WR2. He seems like a pretty good character guy but the injuries are a major drawback. Detroit should send Leshoure and a 3rd over and I'd be fine with that.

They have already burned 2nd rounders on Broyles, Titus, and a 3rd on Derrick Williams (who?) in recent years so this would be a bargain.
If you're talking in fantasy terms thats debatable, but Nicks is pretty clearly a 1 in the NFL.

If you're talking in fantasy terms thats debatable, but Nicks is pretty clearly a 1 in the NFL.
See, I disagree. He is a matchup guy to me. He takes advantage of lesser corners because of his size and will put up an eye opening 2 TD game but he disappears quite frequently with stiffer competition. Is he a WR1 on some teams, sure I'll give you that, but I think he's better suited to be a WR2 in the NFL.

The big winner in all this could be the Randle owner...if Nicks gets dealt than Randle's value take a big jump...

Thing is would the Giants let him go for only a 3rd? I've read that they'd get a 3rd as compensatory pick if Nicks signs elsewhere in the off-season.

Teams that should be inquiring

Atlanta

Baltimore

Carolina

Cleveland

Houston

Indy

Minnesota

New England

NY Jets

Oakland

San Diego

San Fran

Seattle

Tenessee

Teams that should be inquiring

Atlanta

Baltimore

Carolina

Cleveland

Houston

Indy

Minnesota

New England

NY Jets

Oakland

San Diego

San Fran

Seattle

Tenessee
In that mix - Minnesota should step up and trade and sign. Huge strides for the franchise in Freeman and Nicks.

Hey GMen get Green Bay on the dial and get a 2nd rounder! Cobb& Jones down!

For some reason it's not letting me copy anything but I just read a retweet by Tom Curran that said Scott Pioli was just on Dan Patrick show and mentioned Patriots are looking for WR help via trade and Pioli specifically mentioned Nicks.

Curran himself is saying he's just spitballing and I can't even tell if he's being serious or just throwing out names because he's tired of people asking him but he's throwing out Nicks and Emmanuel Sanders as most likely guys the Pats would acquire.

I made a few moves to get Nicks. He could be a top-5 WR on a team like NE. No way NYG let him walk for nothing and they just paid Cruz.

As an owner, the only places I'd prefer to see him go would be GB, NE, ATL, or DET. Maybe SD or CAR. Anywhere else and it's either a wash or I prefer he stay put. I hope this isn't as anti-climactic as the "Lions to trade for a WR" situation.

I have said it before, but why does Detroit want another receiver that can't stay on the field? Not to mention they have no money to sign him long term. Suh will be due another contract, Fairley right after him and the left tackle (his name escapes me right now) as well. Not to mention the big contracts that Calvin and Stafford already have.

See, I disagree. He is a matchup guy to me. He takes advantage of lesser corners because of his size...
I've heard this line of thinking alot in this place. There seems to be this misconception that Cruz is the little, fast receiver, and Nicks is the lumbering giant (Giant). They're almost exactly the same size, and it's not particularly big.

I have said it before, but why does Detroit want another receiver that can't stay on the field? Not to mention they have no money to sign him long term. Suh will be due another contract, Fairley right after him and the left tackle (his name escapes me right now) as well. Not to mention the big contracts that Calvin and Stafford already have.
For one, Nicks has stayed healthy this year and not everyone is a subscriber to the label of "injury prone" that we have seen be disproven time and time again. Secondly, if DET did want to throw their hat into the ring it would be because they felt they had a chance to make a run this year, and that the missing element was a respectable #2 beside Calvin. We have seen how inept the DET offense is without Calvin active, and injuries have struck their WR corps thin. Also, DET has a history of using a number of high draft picks on WRs to their detriment. Using a 2nd or 3rd on a proven talent wouldn't be the most boneheaded decision they have made. Finally, if they did view him as a 1-yr rental, his payout for the rest of the year wouldn't be that large of a relative hit since the Giants would have already paid for a large portion of it, and could work arrangements into the deal to mitigate the damage to the Lions even more. Just saying that it's not as cut and dry as you try and make it appear.

For one, Nicks has stayed healthy this year and not everyone is a subscriber to the label of "injury prone" that we have seen be disproven time and time again. Secondly, if DET did want to throw their hat into the ring it would be because they felt they had a chance to make a run this year, and that the missing element was a respectable #2 beside Calvin. We have seen how inept the DET offense is without Calvin active, and injuries have struck their WR corps thin. Also, DET has a history of using a number of high draft picks on WRs to their detriment. Using a 2nd or 3rd on a proven talent wouldn't be the most boneheaded decision they have made. Finally, if they did view him as a 1-yr rental, his payout for the rest of the year wouldn't be that large of a relative hit since the Giants would have already paid for a large portion of it, and could work arrangements into the deal to mitigate the damage to the Lions even more. Just saying that it's not as cut and dry as you try and make it appear.
I would say go get him if it was a fifth round pick or later. A second or third is too much for a rental

I would say go get him if it was a fifth round pick or later. A second or third is too much for a rental
Well, if Nicks walks as an UFA after the year then the Giants probably get a 2014 3rd round compensatory pick. In light of that, they probably won't take anything less than a 2nd or a 3rd + more. Don't think a 5th or later would come close to getting it done. So, if the Lion's GM has the same line of thinking as you, then he's not going there.

As a Nicks owner, I fear that WRs really don't adjust quickly into new offenses. I hope he stays put or at the very least gets traded to a team who's bye is already done.
Your best move is to pump him up as the go to new #1 for team XYZ and dump him on someone else. This won't work out well for Nicks, except his pocketbook. It rarely does.

See Meachem (of course, he sucked for the word go), see Greg Jennings, see any WR that ever went to the Jags over the past 1/2 dozen years, see Mike Wallace. See Manningham. The list goes on and on. His stats will fall because the teams with great QB's don't need him.

Your best move is to pump him up as the go to new #1 for team XYZ and dump him on someone else. This won't work out well for Nicks, except his pocketbook. It rarely does.

See Meachem (of course, he sucked for the word go), see Greg Jennings, see any WR that ever went to the Jags over the past 1/2 dozen years, see Mike Wallace. See Manningham. The list goes on and on. His stats will fall because the teams with great QB's don't need him.
Nicks isn't a QB dependant WR.

Nicks isn't a QB dependant WR.
True, he is a DR dependent WR.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on NFL Insiders Monday that the Giants are willing to listen to offers for Hakeem Nicks.
This comes directly on the heels of a Jason La Canfora report that "several teams" are preparing offers in an effort to acquire Nicks from the 0-6 Giants. The G-Men can plug Rueben Randle into the X receiver position across from Victor Cruz, and likely not lose much. "They are not shopping him," Schefter said of Nicks, who's in a contract year. "Will they listen to offers? Yes."

I can't believe how poorly the Giants have handled Nicks, locking up Nicks and Cruz should have been priority number 1

A trde now will not be about 2013 only, since to make Nicks interested you'd want to give him some money. Not sure which teams could do this in a sensible way this time of the season.

Doubt the Falcons will go for him, with both White and Julio Jones under contract in 2014

DET makes more sense to me, but I would think the Giants would rather send him to the AFC

I can't believe how poorly the Giants have handled Nicks, locking up Nicks and Cruz should have been priority number 1
Why would they lock up Nicks?? He's a great talent, but he's been injured quite a bit.
I see the Giants being like the Steelers...they are a more traditional team that is only going to invest so much in the WR position...the Steelers committed to Brown and let Wallace go and I see the Giants doing the same with Cruz and Nicks...the fact that Nicks gets banged-up a lot and Randle looks like he might be able to raise his game may make this decision even easier...the Giants have a sprung a lot more leaks this season and I think the fact they need to address more areas makes it less likely they commit the type of money Nicks will get if he hits the open-market...

Why would they lock up Nicks?? He's a great talent, but he's been injured quite a bit.
I see the Giants being like the Steelers...they are a more traditional team that is only going to invest so much in the WR position...the Steelers committed to Brown and let Wallace go and I see the Giants doing the same with Cruz and Nicks...the fact that Nicks gets banged-up a lot and Randle looks like he might be able to raise his game may make this decision even easier...the Giants have a sprung a lot more leaks this season and I think the fact they need to address more areas makes it less likely they commit the type of money Nicks will get if he hits the open-market...
this

Not an Nicks owner, but I'd be greatly interested if he were heading to Carolina. I think he would be a great fit and possibly finish the season in a huge way if he were able to stay on the field.

Thing is would the Giants let him go for only a 3rd? I've read that they'd get a 3rd as compensatory pick if Nicks signs elsewhere in the off-season.
The comp pick wouldn't be awarded until 2015. It's a year removed.

Throw in the fact it's impossible to know what that comp pick will actually be as it's awarded based on contract, playing time, and post season accolades in addition to possibly being impacted by their own FA signings.

It's certainly not something they should be banking on if another viable deal is offered.

Users who are viewing this thread