What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ladainan: Officially a vaccum (1 Viewer)

NY/NJMFDIVER

Footballguy
Ok, I've been patient with the man poised for continued stardom this year, even a career year if you were to believe his hype. I've weathered the unexpected results his prescence has allowed the passing game to achieve. And I've even tolerated his groin injury. But after all that, all things considered, based on where he was drafted...

HE SUCKS.

You do realize he's been playing with a groin injury the past 3 weeks right? Also, the line which played well the first few games has sucked the past 3.

Yeah, too bad he is playing hurt, and still got a TD.Love it when you guys don't wait till the end of the game to see how they will perform.You want to complain...try being the team going against Priest Holmes! :wall:

It appears LaDainian is hurt worse than he'll admit, that's how it sounds to me listening to the Charger broadcast. I think he needs to take a week off - he's probably just trying to make it through to the bye in a couple of weeks. If I was Marty I'd really consider sitting him the week before the bye, if not immediately.

It appears LaDainian is hurt worse than he'll admit, that's how it sounds to me listening to the Charger broadcast. I think he needs to take a week off - he's probably just trying to make it through to the bye in a couple of weeks. If I was Marty I'd really consider sitting him the week before the bye, if not immediately.
He's having a subpar game for him, but he's still a top 3 RB.However, it looks like I should have benched him this week for Ahman Green or Corey Dillon - problem is, which one? Thank goodness for Mr. Droughns. :)

Ok, I've been patient with the man poised for continued stardom this year, even a career year if you were to believe his hype. I've weathered the unexpected results his prescence has allowed the passing game to achieve. And I've even tolerated his groin injury. But after all that, all things considered, based on where he was drafted...

HE SUCKS.
:11:

Yeah, too bad he is playing hurt, and still got a TD.Love it when you guys don't wait till the end of the game to see how they will perform.You want to complain...try being the team going against Priest Holmes! :wall:
Yup I feel your pain. I am going against him as well. It was a good thing he left in the third with an ankle sprain or he probably would have had a couple more TD's. Blaylock has 3 rushing TD's already.

Let's say for the sake of discussion that LT is hurt and misses a couple games (for once in his career btw). Where does that place Chatman, a top 20 start?

Let's say for the sake of discussion that LT is hurt and misses a couple games (for once in his career btw). Where does that place Chatman, a top 20 start?
I don't know that Chatman will be successfull as a 4 quarter back. He's been comming in in garbage time (for the most part) against defenses that have been warn out, running often times straight up the middle with little resistance. He's bigger than LaDainian, so it would be a somewhat different style, although he definitely plays fast. With the matchup against the Raiders next week you could play him, but I'm waiting for the beef up front for the Raiders defense to start shutting people down. I'd be nervous about starting Chatman.Also the Chargers have the rookie Turner who's been good in preseason and practice, I believe he'd get some significant PT if LaDainian can't go.

Is someone actually b**tching about Tomlinson's performance this year? F'in fools.#7 overall RB in standard performance leagues of 1/10, 6/T^DHas scored a TD in every game this year except one - so he has been consistent.Has had over 100 combined yardage in 4 of their first 7 games.You all need to get a new hobby if that kind of performance form the #1 or #1 overall player is insufficient.He will finish as a top-5 RB unless he is injured -0 and that is what you are buying with th e#1 overall./I am TERRIBLY sorry you all passed on Priest, who is simply a beast - but Tomlinson's year is NOT something to be getting frustrated over.

Is someone actually b**tching about Tomlinson's performance this year? F'in fools.#7 overall RB in standard performance leagues of 1/10, 6/T^DHas scored a TD in every game this year except one - so he has been consistent.Has had over 100 combined yardage in 4 of their first 7 games.You all need to get a new hobby if that kind of performance form the #1 or #1 overall player is insufficient.He will finish as a top-5 RB unless he is injured -0 and that is what you are buying with th e#1 overall./I am TERRIBLY sorry you all passed on Priest, who is simply a beast - but Tomlinson's year is NOT something to be getting frustrated over.
Thats acceptable for a guy you drafted 5th or 6th or 7th but for a guy who 1st or 2nd in the draft those numbers are rather disappointing. We weren;t looking for consistent from LT, we were looking for explosive (see Holmes today) and he just hasn't delivered. Whether it be because of injury or the offensive line, he hasn't put up the numbers all of us expected so I can understand why many of his owners are upset. Lets just hope he is able to turn it around in time for the fantasy playoff run.

Is someone actually b**tching about Tomlinson's performance this year? F'in fools.
And this guy is on the staff. :no: :thumbdown:
Yeah, I shouldn't have used the "fin fools remark" - my bad - but the rest of what I posted was not out of line.However, you can NOT be disappointed with his performance this year as a #1 or #1 pick - Priest is simply in a class by himself.LT may not be domninating the league, but Deuce, Portis, and Ahman, who were typically drafted in the 3-6 range - are having significantly worse years so far, and they aren't playing through injuries Priest iosm though!)LT is, IMO, the third best of the top-6/7 backs - Edge SA and LT are performing comparably - Priest is in a class by himself, those other three above ar e astep below.What the heck do you people expect from football players?I REALLY hope this is a common feeling - maybe he has low value now and I'll be able to trade for him.

LT's fantasy numbers have been fine. But I'm concerned by three straight weeks of low rushing totals, and the groin injury that's presumably related to those totals.The TDs and a few big pass plays have saved his fantasy output, but there's still reason to worry here.

Is someone actually b**tching about Tomlinson's performance this year? F'in fools.
And this guy is on the staff. :no: :thumbdown:
Yeah, I shouldn't have used the "fin fools remark" - my bad - but the rest of what I posted was not out of line.However, you can NOT be disappointed with his performance this year as a #1 or #1 pick - Priest is simply in a class by himself.LT may not be domninating the league, but Deuce, Portis, and Ahman, who were typically drafted in the 3-6 range - are having significantly worse years so far, and they aren't playing through injuries Priest iosm though!)LT is, IMO, the third best of the top-6/7 backs - Edge SA and LT are performing comparably - Priest is in a class by himself, those other three above ar e astep below.What the heck do you people expect from football players?I REALLY hope this is a common feeling - maybe he has low value now and I'll be able to trade for him.
:goodposting:Seriously, out of the typical top 7:LT, Priest, Deuce, SA, Ahman Green, PortisPriest is dominantSA is doing quite wellPortis in inconsistentOut of the other 4, I'll gladly take LT this year. I'll take him for the rest of the year over the others except Priest. In a dynasty, LT is easily the top player.

LT may not be domninating the league, but Deuce, Portis, and Ahman, who were typically drafted in the 3-6 range - are having significantly worse years so far, and they aren't playing through injuries Priest iosm though!)
True, but it still doesn't make me feel better for drafting LT early. He's not having anything like the year he had last year and all the talk was for him to have another big year. I have him in one league and I am less than satisfied with what he has done to this point. And if you think what he has done is good enough, then maybe your just happy with making the post-season or breaking .500 on your year. I for one want to win all of my leagues. You hear that LT, I wanna win so get your act together, get healthy and start putting up big numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats acceptable for a guy you drafted 5th or 6th or 7th but for a guy who 1st or 2nd in the draft those numbers are rather disappointing. We weren;t looking for consistent from LT, we were looking for explosive (see Holmes today) and he just hasn't delivered. Whether it be because of injury or the offensive line, he hasn't put up the numbers all of us expected so I can understand why many of his owners are upset. Lets just hope he is able to turn it around in time for the fantasy playoff run.
???How are Deuce, Ahman and Portis doing? I would also say a case can be mnade that SA and Edge are playihng better rigjht now - but only slightly better - and they are not injured and are on excellent teams.As I sdaiodabove - drop the UNREALISTIC expectations. YOu draft a top-5 back to have a top-5 back - you WANT him to be Priest/Faulk, but sometimes you get Alexander - you still have a top-5 back.Saying you don't want consistent IS foolish. A guy who averages 100 total yards and 1 TD per game is in for a 1600 total yardage/16 TD seaons - it's a PROBLEM for you guys that he get sthat one at a time instead of down games and up games???And, in fact- he is experiencing the down games and the up games in yardage and consistently getting you a TD per game. The team has Gates, had Caldwell and Parker, and has other red zone options - LT's TDs are down, but his numbers are still LT numbers.And, as I recall from last year, it took him a couple games to get going - he now sems to have hit his stride.I am deliberately not overblowing his injury b/c that is the easy excuse. For you all to complaint about a guy who is getting you a TD per week and over 100 combined yardage while playing injured seems to me like you all have overblown expectations of him.

LT may not be domninating the league, but Deuce, Portis, and Ahman, who were typically drafted in the 3-6 range - are having significantly worse years so far, and they aren't playing through injuries Priest iosm though!)
True, but it still doesn't make me feel better for drafting LT early.
I don't understand this, either - who were you seriously considering instead that you passed on for LT, and why?Ask yourself that quesiotn - don't look to LT to satisfy that for you. I sense a lot of Priest envy folks got the number one overall and took LT instead of Priest and are now bumming b/c they were unable to build a good enough team around LT. If I get a weekly 14-20 points from my RB1, and FAR from disappointed.

Oh - and BTW, there is an official venting thread, so try to keep this one above board and about what may LOGICALLY be wrong with LT. Not simply "he sucks" - which is an ignorant, and foolish, thing to post.

For you all to complaint about a guy who is getting you a TD per week and over 100 combined yardage while playing injured seems to me like you all have overblown expectations of him.
Again, its admirable that he's out there producing at a high level while running on an injured leg, but again him playing well below expectations (any expectations are not overblow especially when you consider what he has done in his career to this point) doesn't help me win my games. Am I wrong for expecting my top picks to produce like how EVERY publication and website projected them to prior to the start of the season? Certainly not. Thats all I am saying. People who draft LT early, or Portis or Ahman or Deuce early have every reason to be annoyed. Or I can be like you, accept it and just finish 3rd or 4th in my league.

To say that LT sucks is pure stupidity. Marc appears to be one of the few thats actually looking at the situation objectively. Last year people claimed LT was the bust of the year, those that traded him regretted it. If you don't like the production this year and you think he sucks then trade him. I'm sure you'll have no problem unloading him.To say that he sucks might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on these boards.

For you all to complaint about a guy who is getting you a TD per week and over 100 combined yardage while playing injured seems to me like you all have overblown expectations of him.
Again, its admirable that he's out there producing at a high level while running on an injured leg, but again him playing well below expectations (any expectations are not overblow especially when you consider what he has done in his career to this point) doesn't help me win my games. Am I wrong for expecting my top picks to produce like how EVERY publication and website projected them to prior to the start of the season? Certainly not. Thats all I am saying. People who draft LT early, or Portis or Ahman or Deuce early have every reason to be annoyed. Or I can be like you, accept it and just finish 3rd or 4th in my league.
Yes you are wrong because predictions are just that - predictions. We don't have a crystal ball showing if players are going to get injured.

Agreed, the use of the word "suck" annoys me. Clearly these guys are among the best of the best. Your little cousin playing flag football may suck, but these guys are as good as it gets.

He's not having anything like the year he had last year and all the talk was for him to have another big year.
Heading into week 7 last year, he was averaging 15.4 points per game.Heading into week 7 this year, he was averaging 17.4 points per game.(Standard scoring.)

True, but it still doesn't make me feel better for drafting LT early.
I don't understand this, either - who were you seriously considering instead that you passed on for LT, and why?Ask yourself that quesiotn - don't look to LT to satisfy that for you. I sense a lot of Priest envy folks got the number one overall and took LT instead of Priest and are now bumming b/c they were unable to build a good enough team around LT. If I get a weekly 14-20 points from my RB1, and FAR from disappointed.
Marc, I'm one of those people who took LT over Priest and I would do it again. Every pick is a gamble and I felt LT was a safer pick. Even though he has an injured groin he's still putting up good numbers and I'm not complaining. If you aren't winning, don't blame it on picking LT but on the rest of your draft. I'm going to be 6-1 after this week and 3rd in scoring even with LT doing what he's doing. I made good picks of Hines Ward, Thomas Jones, Andre Johnson and David Carr that are winning games for me.

The only thing LT has not done is have one of those 200 yard 3td games where he wins the game by himself. If you drafted him to have 2 or 3 of those then I can see you being disappointed. My worst team is the one he is in, but is not his faultHenry, dom Davis, McNair, chambers, meCareins, Foster, Brad johnsn are at fault for that team being an embarrasment.

He's not having anything like the year he had last year and all the talk was for him to have another big year.
Heading into week 7 last year, he was averaging 15.4 points per game.Heading into week 7 this year, he was averaging 17.4 points per game.(Standard scoring.)
Exactly. That post should put this thread to rest. I thought I remember the same talk from last season...... yet nobody was crying by the end of the year because they drafted Tomlinson. Just didn't want to do the work to find out myself...... thanks MT.To those that are crying; I remember plenty of people projecting Tomlinson being at the top of a group of 4-7 RB's. I don't recall ANYONE saying he was far and away the #1 in a class by himself at his position in a Randy Moss sort of way. Just because he was projected as #1 doesn't mean he's 4x as good as the guy being projected #4.

Am I wrong for expecting my top picks to produce like how EVERY publication and website projected them to prior to the start of the season? Certainly not.
Yes you are.You should expect him to produce as you project him to - not how publications do - publications tend to take last year's numbers and massage them - staying on the conservative side of trying to get as close to last year's numbers as possible. That is an infantile way to do projections, which is why most of us ended up here instead of reading "publications."He had a career year last year - there is always ebb and flow with players - it is VERY rare for a back to produce at the Priest/Faulk/LT level for three straight years.Expecting a running back who had 100 catches and 4 receiving TDs last year to repeat his numbers is NOT logical - you shouldnot have been taking LT at #1 or #2 expecting a repeat of the previous year - you take (took) him there b/c he was as sure a thing as you could ask for to repeat a top-5 season. And, on his current pace, he will finish top-5, barring injury.You all have overblown expectations if you expect a back coming off a fabulous career year to repeat or approach those numbers the very next year - go look at some numbers on the great backs after their career years - almost inevitably, there is a decline the next year - some, like Dickerson and OJ had declines and then came back a year or two later. And then there is Priest - who is an animal and is in a classs by himself - so far, he has had the most dominant three year stretch of any fantasy RB - if he dpoesn;t ghet hirt this yearm the last three year swill b ethe best three year fantasy period for ANY RB - including Faulk and Dickerson - Priest is special - LT is a top-5 pick.Rice's career is full of ebbs and flows. Harrison had an ebb from his record setting 2002. Moss regresed abit fomr his career year o[f 2000, and wasnot able to apporach that production again until last year. It is unlikely LT will ever have a year as good as last year - and, IMO, it was unrealistic to expect it from him the very next year. he migh approach - or exceed - last year in a year or two, but it is simply very very rare for a RB to chase a career year with another one.You should not have drafted LT looking for a repeat of last year's numbers - you should have expected to have selected the surest thing on the board for a top-5 season.

Thats all I am saying. People who draft LT early, or Portis or Ahman or Deuce early have every reason to be annoyed. Or I can be like you, accept it and just finish 3rd or 4th in my league.
One more thing - if you need to have the number one RB to win your league, and can't win it with the RB4 or RB5, you are an extremely poor fantasy football player.The seasons starts in round one and that is the last "lucky" part of that day. What you do after round one, what you do with the WW, and what you do with in-season management determines how good a player you are. If you started your draft with LT, and can't build a winning team around a weekly 17.5 fantasy PPG scorer at RB1, I am, as publicly as possible - calling into question your skills at this game.I have won the last two super bowls in my big money league having lost my top two draft picks last year and my top pick the year before fotr extenbded periods o ftime. Faulk and Green were my 1/2 last year, Warner/Deuce were my 1/2 the year before. And that is a ten year old, $1500 pool, very competitive, league.

Am I wrong for expecting my top picks to produce like how EVERY publication and website projected them to prior to the start of the season? Certainly not. Thats all I am saying. People who draft LT early, or Portis or Ahman or Deuce early have every reason to be annoyed. Or I can be like you, accept it and just finish 3rd or 4th in my league.
Do your life experiences really suggest to you that the results of sporting events are so predictable that just because "everyone" is saying something, it's going to happen? Do they suggest to you that someone can do any better than predict what they think is most likely to happen, while in reality there are a wide variety of possible outcomes?

The only thing LT has not done is have one of those 200 yard 3td games where he wins the game by himself. If you drafted him to have 2 or 3 of those then I can see you being disappointed.
There's still quite a bit of the season left - what if he gets those 200 total yard/3 TD games in weeks 12-17 and ends with a 2G/20 TD season? He is currently putting up sufficient numbers that a good FF player would be able to win if they did their job in rounds 2+ and if they have been active on the early WW. If your expectations were that he'd have two or three huge games (he had 7 last year), you should be psyched as heck b/c they are still coming.I personally figured on a significantly reduced role in the passing game - around 65-75 catches/450-500 yards was what I figured on - and a potential drop in rushing TDs due to the fact I figured it would be inexperienced Rivers over Brees by this point, thus stunting his offensive opportunities.I figured around 300 carries and around 1500 rush yards were a given - not 5.3 YPR, but about 5 per rush. And I thought an average of a TD per game was reasonable, with some games being those where he had yardage and not TDs.I just fail to see why ANYone who took him #1 or #2 would be disappointed by him right now - I would be encouraged.He put up elite RB numbers in 4 of his first 7 games (18, 21, 21, 18 under standard performance scoring - more if you get pt/rec or bonuses for going over 100 yards) and he STILL has yet to bust out a priest-like game. I would be very happy with him right now as I'd be figuring a week or two more on the groin and he'll be in the groove.I AM worried about the groin not healing properly while he is playing and slowing him down (though I don't own him in any league) - groins can take a real long time to heal if they tear, and living with that pain can impinge a RB over time.IMO, LT is getting used to the injury and how to work productively with it - he is skipping Wed. practices, but participating in all other practices, so he is working through it.MOST IMPORTANTLY, consider this - in 2003, he didn't get his first TD until week 3, he didn't have more than one TD in any game until week 10, he didn't have his first receiving TD until week 14, and he had no game with more than 2 TDs - while he had 7 games with more than 150 combined yards last year, it was his last four games of 2003 that were his absolute best games of the year - esp in pt/rec leagues:| 14 det | 25 88 | 148 | 2 || 15 gnb | 20 51 | 144 | 2 || 16 pit | 22 91 | 8 | 2 || 17 oak | 31 243 | 17 | 2 |If you "expected" the numbers he had the last four games with regularity this year - and if you expected multiple TD games as a regularity or happening early in the season - based purely on last year's numbers, you bought LT from a position of ignorance.

Um, he was the #1 RB in my league through Week 6.
What is your scoring out of curiosity? He's anywhere from 6-12th in my leagues.
He's been good in TD heavy leagues.. must suck in yardage leagues thoughEDIT: one problem I'm having though is Chatman. He keeps relieving LT in the second half and has been getting a sick ypc. What's up with that?

I took LT high in both of my leagues and so far I'm not complaining. He's been less than advertised, but not bad and certainly better than several other top RBs I could name.That said, this sort of thing drives me crazy.

Expecting a running back who had 100 catches and 4 receiving TDs last year to repeat his numbers is NOT logical
FBG projected him for close to those numbers (they had him 80 catches and 3 TDs -- not the same numbers, but in the same ballpark). Now, in hindsight, those numbers are NOT logical -- with all caps, no less! I wish I'd known that back then, when I factored FBGs projections into my draft strategy.Look, we all have different opinions and I realize not all the FBG staff agree on every projection. But I don't think people here realize how often they play the "just do your own projections, dummy" card. Be careful what you wish for. If everyone did their own projections and didn't care about expert opinions, sites like this would go out of business.

he's hurtgive the guy a breakhe's still getting it into the endzone and he'll heal up during the bye week hopefully unless it gets worse by thenwe'll seei love LT, he's the best back in the league when healthyother players might have better situations, but he's the bestLoop

I've been concerned about the groin thing for several weeks. I was told by the experts on here that I was "over analyzing the situation" and that he was just resting. Air Coryell I believe you were one that was all over me for suggesting that he was injured and not resting. This groin injury will be a thorn in the side of LT owners for weeks to come if he doesn't just rest it. He should take a week or two off and see if he can come back strong. He is simply not the same back he was in the first couple weeks. He doesn't suck, he is hurt. I hope they play Chatman full time so I know which one to actually start

LT may not be performing up to standards but you cannot predict injuries and you cannot let a whole years worth of fantasy football depend on your first round pick...

I took LT high in both of my leagues and so far I'm not complaining. He's been less than advertised, but not bad and certainly better than several other top RBs I could name.That said, this sort of thing drives me crazy.

Expecting a running back who had 100 catches and 4 receiving TDs last year to repeat his numbers is NOT logical
FBG projected him for close to those numbers (they had him 80 catches and 3 TDs -- not the same numbers, but in the same ballpark). Now, in hindsight, those numbers are NOT logical -- with all caps, no less! I wish I'd known that back then, when I factored FBGs projections into my draft strategy.Look, we all have different opinions and I realize not all the FBG staff agree on every projection. But I don't think people here realize how often they play the "just do your own projections, dummy" card. Be careful what you wish for. If everyone did their own projections and didn't care about expert opinions, sites like this would go out of business.
I totally understand what you are saying abnou this - my opinions and projections on players differs pretty greatly from what Joe and David come up with much more often than not.I keep forgetting that you all see my posts and think my thoughts are FBGuys thoughts and that can be confusing. But, even Joe and David say you should tweak their numbers. Also, one of the things that makes FBGuys so strong is that we have independent thinking experts who are not obligated to tow the company line on player projections.You can see that difference when you check out our expert rankings on thepreseason site.

I've been concerned about the groin thing for several weeks. I was told by the experts on here that I was "over analyzing the situation" and that he was just resting. Air Coryell I believe you were one that was all over me for suggesting that he was injured and not resting. This groin injury will be a thorn in the side of LT owners for weeks to come if he doesn't just rest it. He should take a week or two off and see if he can come back strong. He is simply not the same back he was in the first couple weeks. He doesn't suck, he is hurt. I hope they play Chatman full time so I know which one to actually start
I agree, he is hurt, he certainly doesn't suck. However, it is kind of sad that for once the Chargers actually have a decent team that is finding itself ahead late in games and Tomlinson has taken himself out frequently when he could be padding stats. He isn't cutting well and is lacking explosiveness. Also, the emergence of Gates has eaten into his receptions big time. He is having a "good" year, but sub par for who I believe is the best RB in the game. Also, I wouldn't expect him to get better soon, his injury will probably linger all year. If your in a TD only league you should be alright with a 8-12 total, but for performance leagues fugetaboutit, he done.

Um, he was the #1 RB in my league through Week 6.
What is your scoring out of curiosity? He's anywhere from 6-12th in my leagues.
We have fairly complicated scoring, but basically it's 2 points per 10 yards with bonus points every 50 yards. We also give bonus points for long TDs and receving TDs.He'll probably drop down to 5th after this week. :(

I tried posting that he was injured more than the Chargers were letting on and that if you could trade him for good value - do it. Read this thread regarding a trade involving LT for Harrison:http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...pic=116623&st=0

But, even Joe and David say you should tweak their numbers.
Understood. But at the end of the day, they're the experts and I'm not. Obviously they can't be right all the time, but I don't think it's unfair to question them when they do mess up. And when that happens, it's frustrating to have it shrugged off with "Well, it's your fault for not tweaking our projections so they'd have been right."

Users who are viewing this thread