What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller vs David Wilson (1 Viewer)

For Dynasty?

• Total voters
gandalas said:
I think the talent is even. Wilson has more cons than Miller because of talent on the roster.
I'm not sure how you could say that the talent is roughly even between them. Miller is a good talent and better than his 4th round pedigree. But to say he is on Wilson's level in terms of pure talent is simply silly. Wilson's talent at the position is through the roof, Miller is a player who is fairly (imo) average in most measurable at the position besides speed. He doesn't have amazing movement skills, he's not going to make many guys miss and he doesn't break a ton of tackles. At least not from all the tape on him I've watched. Where as Wilson does all of that in spades.
Miller actually has the better measurables on paper.
Miller:

4.34 40, 35 vert, 10'00" broad, 4.08 40yd shuttle, 6.94 3 Cone Drill

Wilson:

4.38 40, 41 vert, 11'00" broad, 4.12 40yd shuttle. 7.09 3 Cone Drill

Pretty close in my opinion. Wilson is definitely more explosive (better vert and broad jump), while Miller is a tiny bit faster and a bit more agile.
Wilson ran a 4.49 at the combine. He ran sub 4.4 at his pro day but VTech doesn't release official pro-day results. But they are both "fast."
But are eithe considered explosive?

gandalas said:
I think the talent is even. Wilson has more cons than Miller because of talent on the roster.
I'm not sure how you could say that the talent is roughly even between them. Miller is a good talent and better than his 4th round pedigree. But to say he is on Wilson's level in terms of pure talent is simply silly. Wilson's talent at the position is through the roof, Miller is a player who is fairly (imo) average in most measurable at the position besides speed. He doesn't have amazing movement skills, he's not going to make many guys miss and he doesn't break a ton of tackles. At least not from all the tape on him I've watched. Where as Wilson does all of that in spades.
Miller actually has the better measurables on paper.
Miller:

4.34 40, 35 vert, 10'00" broad, 4.08 40yd shuttle, 6.94 3 Cone Drill

Wilson:

4.38 40, 41 vert, 11'00" broad, 4.12 40yd shuttle. 7.09 3 Cone Drill

Pretty close in my opinion. Wilson is definitely more explosive (better vert and broad jump), while Miller is a tiny bit faster and a bit more agile.
Wilson ran a 4.49 at the combine. He ran sub 4.4 at his pro day but VTech doesn't release official pro-day results. But they are both "fast."
But are eithe considered explosive?
No because explosive =/= to speed. They just aren't the same thing, explosiveness isn't something you can see through combine numbers. That's something that shows on field. That said, we really do not have any official numbers on Miller because he was DNP in all but two events at the combine. For the 'official numbers' we have the following.

Lamar Miller

- 40 Yard: 4.40 (*Number 1 at the position)

- Vert Jump: 33 inches

David Wilson

- 40 Yard: 4.49

- Vert Jump: 41 Inches (*Number 1 at the position)

- Broad Jump: 132 inches (*Number 1 at the position)

- Cone Drill: 7.09

- 20 Yard Shuttle: 4.12 seconds

- 40 Yard Shuttle: 11.59 seconds

All of Wilson's events he was Top 5 except 40 yard shuttle he tied for 10th. But explosiveness? No I wouldn't apply that word to Miller, at least I've never seen it from all the Miami Hurricanes/Dolphins tape of him I watched. He always just seemed like an average back with above average speed and bad feet. Wilson is by the very definition of the word explosive. The guy can cut on a dime, hit a hole faster than you can blink and accelerate to top speed incredibly quick.

All of Wilson's events he was Top 5 except 40 yard shuttle he tied for 10th. But explosiveness? No I wouldn't apply that word to Miller, at least I've never seen it from all the Miami Hurricanes/Dolphins tape of him I watched. He always just seemed like an average back with above average speed and bad feet. Wilson is by the very definition of the word explosive. The guy can cut on a dime, hit a hole faster than you can blink and accelerate to top speed incredibly quick.
Not to discount what you saw, but a lot of the reports I've read on Miller describe him as "effortless" in his running style. Maybe that's why he doesn't strike you as explosive?

I think it was a glowing pre-draft report from Matt Waldman. It's probably in his spotlight thread.

He looked plenty "explosive" to me in the shots I've seen. Elusive. Quick. In balance. Lateral agility.

It's obvious you're high on Wilson. It's fine if he's your guy, but disparaging Miller because he's the player who happened to be compared to Wilson in this thread isn't necessarily productive. They're both going to be pretty good.

I don't get some of these Wilson guys. They seem to think that falsely putting Miller down somehow makes Wilson better.

I'll just post it:

From Matt Waldman

Evan Silva termed Miami running back Lamar Miller “the early preseason-buzz MVP.” Understandable. He’s a back whose talents reminded me of two of his University of Miami predecessors: Clinton Portis and Edgerrin James. The 2012 rookie is earning a lot ofencouraging PR from his organization. With Reggie Bush leaving and third-year back Daniel Thomas not flashing the promise that Miller demonstrated in limited time, there’s good reason for Miller to be coined an emerging talent in 2013.

Miller was my No.3 back in the 2012 Rookie Scouting Portfolio behind Trent Richardson and Doug Martin. Here’s my brief summary of Miller from these rankings:

Lamar Miller is a potential Pro Bowl back. He’s at the sweet spot in terms of height, weight, speed, and acceleration. He runs with patience, balance, and he protects the football. He understands how to stay close to his blocks until an opening develops and like Clinton Portis and Edgerrin James before him, he knows how to shorten his steps in traffic until he finds a cutback lane or alternate crease when the primary hole doesn’t come open. He runs with good balance and power between the tackles. He can run through contact and he has good enough footwork to prevent defenders from getting angles on him. He bends runs with good speed and he has shown some skill to pick and slide towards creases or press a crease and cut back. He keeps his legs moving after contact and his pad level is consistently low enough that he bounces off hits and maximizes his output on carries. He knows how to minimize his surface area in the hole and still get down hill fast.

Miller is fast and his burst is Pro Bowl-caliber in the respect that when given a hole he can accelerate past all three levels of a defense and turn a 10-yard gain into a 40-yard touchdown. There is little doubt that Miller has a ton of physical talent, but there are plays where he seems to go out of bounds too willingly where he could have fought to stay in the field of play and gain more yardage. These plays occurred when time wasn’t a factor for the drive. Miller catches the ball as well as any back in this class. He uses his hands to snare passes and he repeatedly demonstrated the ability to catch the errant throw with good body control and concentration. I saw him make an acrobatic catch that was over 25 yards from release point to reception that many college WR’s can’t make.

Miller’s effort as a blocker is not good enough. He will deliver a punch and he has skill at getting the correct angle to make a block. However, he doesn’t sustain the contact and work hard enough to maintain that position. Miller diagnoses blocks effectively, but he has to do better with his cut blocking. He drops his head too early As a run blocker, he seems more worried about getting hit from behind or hurt in the act of blocking that helping his teammates make plays.

I can see the Clinton Portis comparisons because Miller has game-breaking speed, explosive lateral agility, and enough down hill power and balance to generate big plays in multiple ways. The difference is that Miller makes running the football look easier than Portis did in college and I think it might be part of the perception that his effort isn’t always there when in fact, he’s just more graceful than people realize. Purely on ability, he could start for an NFL team today. The key will be how well he transitions from a college campus to professional life.

Not to discount what you saw, but a lot of the reports I've read on Miller describe him as "effortless" in his running style. Maybe that's why he doesn't strike you as explosive?

I think it was a glowing pre-draft report from Matt Waldman. It's probably in his spotlight thread.

He looked plenty "explosive" to me in the shots I've seen. Elusive. Quick. In balance. Lateral agility.

It's obvious you're high on Wilson. It's fine if he's your guy, but disparaging Miller because he's the player who happened to be compared to Wilson in this thread isn't necessarily productive. They're both going to be pretty good.
I'm not actually discounting Miller because he's being compared to Wilson. I am just legitimately low on Miller as a long term NFL RB prospect. I watch footage of him and I don't see this 'effortless running style' nor do I see someone who is "elusive" "quick" "in balance" or possessing "lateral agility". I just see a guy who runs straight at the hole and as soon as the hole collapses he goes down. He doesn't create room around him, he doesn't have any good moves with his feet, he doesn't break many tackles. He just kind of runs through the hole and gets tackled. So I see him as a RB who is only as good as his offensive line. Luckily for him Miami happens to have a fairly decent line. Still, I don't see him as one of those guys who will have 10+ 20yard runs on the season. Wilson had 5 of them last year in 71 carries, he averaged a 20 yard run every 14.2 carries. Which is just insanity. Not quite AP last season insanity but still crazy. Miller had 2 in 51 carries. It's just not something I've seen from the guy to expect him to have more than 5-6 20+ yard carries on the season. He'll be a good fantasy back for the next year or two because of volume. But I don't see him as a long term answer to Miami's problems as I just see him as a 'guy' and nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed. I think there will be times this season where it will appear Miller was shot out if a cannon. He may not "look" as "explosive" as Wilson, but he is. Just in a different manner. Wilson is a stop, start, violent change if direction type runner. Miller isn't. He has more of an Emmitt Smith or McFadden type of smoothness to his runs. He eats up yards with ease. Wilson is plenty fast, but it looks as if he is working really hard to be. Maybe that's why folks like him so much better. I think, given the same hole, they both score. But Miller will make it look easier, while Wilson will be more entertaining doing it.

I voted Wilson this year and Wilson long term.

While I have to think it's going to be fairly close this year, I give the edge to Wilson. I hear everyone say look who's behind Miller (Thomas and Gillislee). I would agree with the talent discrepancy at this point. Well, frankly, I feel that Miami is going to add a veteran RB before the year starts. I'm not a believer in Thomas or Gillisee. Assuming his knee checks out ok, I can't imagine McGahee would rather play anywhere more than Miami. Hell, me might even show up for OTA's next year if he's on the roster. ;) McGahee or otherwise, I feel Miami is going to add more talent at the RB position. This will lighten Miller's work load. I'm looking at what I feel each RB is going to do per touch. I give the edge to Wilson on that one. Wilson will probably be roughly 7-11 spots higher in my rankings when the year starts.

While it's hard not to like the long term outlook of both guys, I prefer Wilson be a fair margin. To me Wilson was playing very soft to start his rookie year. Just looked a little out of place. It didn't look like he could handle the pressure of the NFL at times. I started to see that fade away as the year went on. He didn't look pro ready when he stepped on the NFL field to start the year. I think that will change with a year under his belt. Brown will absolutely take touches away, as he should. That doesn't both me one bit. I love having a home run hitter fresh in the 4th quarter of games. I get the feeling this kid could be special.

While it's more of a gut feeling than anything else, but I just don't have a good feeling about Miller's long term value. He looks to have all the tools, so it's nothing I can put my finger on. Only time will tell.

While I have to think it's going to be fairly close this year, I give the edge to Wilson. I hear everyone say look who's behind Miller (Thomas and Gillislee). I would agree with the talent discrepancy at this point. Well, frankly, I feel that Miami is going to add a veteran RB before the year starts. I'm not a believer in Thomas or Gillisee. Assuming his knee checks out ok, I can't imagine McGahee would rather play anywhere more than Miami. Hell, me might even show up for OTA's next year if he's on the roster. ;) McGahee or otherwise, I feel Miami is going to add more talent at the RB position. This will lighten Miller's work load. I'm looking at what I feel each RB is going to do per touch. I give the edge to Wilson on that one. Wilson will probably be roughly 7-11 spots higher in my rankings when the year starts.

While it's hard not to like the long term outlook of both guys, I prefer Wilson be a fair margin. To me Wilson was playing very soft to start his rookie year. Just looked a little out of place. It didn't look like he could handle the pressure of the NFL at times. I started to see that fade away as the year went on. He didn't look pro ready when he stepped on the NFL field to start the year. I think that will change with a year under his belt. Brown will absolutely take touches away, as he should. That doesn't both me one bit. I love having a home run hitter fresh in the 4th quarter of games. I get the feeling this kid could be special.

While it's more of a gut feeling than anything else, but I just don't have a good feeling about Miller's long term value. He looks to have all the tools, so it's nothing I can put my finger on. Only time will tell.
Turner would crush Miller's value. Good point.

:lmao:

The only thing Turner is crushing is the nearest buffet. He's not a threat to Miller or any other RB in the NFL at this point.

The only thing Turner is crushing is the nearest buffet. He's not a threat to Miller or any other RB in the NFL at this point.
As a TD vulture?

As a TD vulture?
So let me get this straight: A 31 yo RB who has generated ZERO buzz/interest since his release, was significantly injured at the end of last year, had a miserable year at 3.6 ypc and looked awful, is going to get signed by Miami after they've passed on multiple other options and become a TD vulture that is going to "crush the value" of an up and coming 22 year old RB? Do you think Miller's current value is dependent on carries at the goalline anyway? Are you serious?

Let me guess: Is it because Miller is a "small" RB?

:lmao: The only thing Turner is crushing is the nearest buffet. He's not a threat to Miller or any other RB in the NFL at this point.
As a TD vulture?
So let me get this straight: A 31 yo RB who has generated ZERO buzz/interest since his release, was significantly injured at the end of last year, had a miserable year at 3.6 ypc and looked awful, is going to get signed by Miami after they've passed on multiple other options and become a TD vulture that is going to "crush the value" of an up and coming 22 year old RB? Do you think Miller's current value is dependent on carries at the goalline anyway? Are you serious?

There isn't a market for RB's right now because there are so many. Turner has score 10+ TD's since 08' and I'm sure he would be more effective than Thomas as a change of pace. He's NFL old, but there are a few early 30 y.o back people have hope for this season. His only crime is slowing down? It wouldn't help Miller is that was to happen.. But your right. I don't project Miller to have huge upside in TD's anyway. I wouln't mind it if I was a MIA fan.

:lmao: The only thing Turner is crushing is the nearest buffet. He's not a threat to Miller or any other RB in the NFL at this point.
As a TD vulture?

There isn't a market for RB's right now because there are so many. Turner has score 10+ TD's since 08' and I'm sure he would be more effective than Thomas as a change of pace. He's NFL old, but there are a few early 30 y.o back people have hope for this season. His only crime is slowing down? It wouldn't help Miller is that was to happen.. But your right. I don't project Miller to have huge upside in TD's anyway. I wouln't mind it if I was a MIA fan.
Ya if you want your change of pace back to be timed with a sun dial

While I have to think it's going to be fairly close this year, I give the edge to Wilson. I hear everyone say look who's behind Miller (Thomas and Gillislee). I would agree with the talent discrepancy at this point. Well, frankly, I feel that Miami is going to add a veteran RB before the year starts. I'm not a believer in Thomas or Gillisee. Assuming his knee checks out ok, I can't imagine McGahee would rather play anywhere more than Miami. @#!*% , me might even show up for OTA's next year if he's on the roster. ;) McGahee or otherwise, I feel Miami is going to add more talent at the RB position. This will lighten Miller's work load. I'm looking at what I feel each RB is going to do per touch. I give the edge to Wilson on that one. Wilson will probably be roughly 7-11 spots higher in my rankings when the year starts.

As a TD vulture?

There isn't a market for RB's right now because there are so many. Turner has score 10+ TD's since 08' and I'm sure he would be more effective than Thomas as a change of pace. He's NFL old, but there are a few early 30 y.o back people have hope for this season. His only crime is slowing down? It wouldn't help Miller is that was to happen..But your right. I don't project Miller to have huge upside in TD's anyway. I wouln't mind it if I was a MIA fan.
I was with you...until you went here. At first, I actually thought your Turner comment was tongue in cheek sarcasm.

:scared:

I love how people mask posts for the A/C forum by posting "either ors", or "versus" posts.

But no one complains because he added a poll question. lol
This time of year, vs type threads are about sorting out draft order and can (should) be applicable to everyone playing redraft.This is a far cry from wdis, which are only applicable to the small percentage of teams w/ both players.

I find great value in threads like this.
Agreed. Is it a masked WDI(Draft) or trade or something? Maybe. But I am gaining knowledge on how others see the value of both so it is all good for me.

Edit to add: I voted Wilson for both. I just like the Giants situation more, and Wilson's talent more.

While I have to think it's going to be fairly close this year, I give the edge to Wilson. I hear everyone say look who's behind Miller (Thomas and Gillislee). I would agree with the talent discrepancy at this point. Well, frankly, I feel that Miami is going to add a veteran RB before the year starts. I'm not a believer in Thomas or Gillisee. Assuming his knee checks out ok, I can't imagine McGahee would rather play anywhere more than Miami. @#!*% , me might even show up for OTA's next year if he's on the roster. ;) McGahee or otherwise, I feel Miami is going to add more talent at the RB position. This will lighten Miller's work load. I'm looking at what I feel each RB is going to do per touch. I give the edge to Wilson on that one. Wilson will probably be roughly 7-11 spots higher in my rankings when the year starts.

As a TD vulture?

There isn't a market for RB's right now because there are so many. Turner has score 10+ TD's since 08' and I'm sure he would be more effective than Thomas as a change of pace. He's NFL old, but there are a few early 30 y.o back people have hope for this season. His only crime is slowing down? It wouldn't help Miller is that was to happen..But your right. I don't project Miller to have huge upside in TD's anyway. I wouln't mind it if I was a MIA fan.
I was with you...until you went here. At first, I actually thought your Turner comment was tongue in cheek sarcasm. :scared:
I missed the meeting when Michael Turner became laughable. Quizz Rodgers owners?

So Turner will crush Millers value but no mention of Andre Brown crushing Wilson's value? Strange bit of logic going on here.

So Turner will crush Millers value but no mention of Andre Brown crushing Wilson's value? Strange bit of logic going on here.
Yeah, unfortunately it's been a consistent form of logic used by many on the Wilson side in this thread.

jurb26 said:
Boone22 said:
Yeah, unfortunately it's been a consistent form of logic used by many on the Wilson side in this thread.
The only situation where David Wilson ends the year at < RB1 is if he is injured, especially in PPR. If both Wilson and Brown stay healthy, Brown will be a role player to the next great RB in the league. If Brown is injured and Wilson stays healthy, Wilson will be a top 5 back this year.

If you think the Giants let Bradshaw walk with a year on his contract for Andre Brown, it is time for a re-evaluation. Will Brown be the goal-line RB? Yes, but that does not mean he will be handed all red zone reps. It just means that when they are on the 3 yard line, they are going to pound it with Captain Injury Pants. David Wilson will get plenty of reps inside the 20 yard line and he will score plenty of TDs on a good offense.

This thread is a dumping ground for Wilson haters under the guise of a Miller vs Wilson comparison.

jurb26 said:
Boone22 said:
The only situation where David Wilson ends the year at < RB1 is if he is injured, especially in PPR. If both Wilson and Brown stay healthy, Brown will be a role player to the next great RB in the league. If Brown is injured and Wilson stays healthy, Wilson will be a top 5 back this year.

If you think the Giants let Bradshaw walk with a year on his contract for Andre Brown, it is time for a re-evaluation. Will Brown be the goal-line RB? Yes, but that does not mean he will be handed all red zone reps. It just means that when they are on the 3 yard line, they are going to pound it with Captain Injury Pants. David Wilson will get plenty of reps inside the 20 yard line and he will score plenty of TDs on a good offense.

This thread is a dumping ground for Wilson haters under the guise of a Miller vs Wilson comparison.
What in the world are you talking about? The only one getting dumped on here is Miller. I'm not seeing anyone dump on Wilson. I see 2 kinds of poster, Wilson lovers trashing Miller for reasons I can't explain and others who think these guys are pretty even.

I love both these guys but the Wilson backers are irrational IMO.

jurb26 said:
Boone22 said:

What in the world are you talking about? The only one getting dumped on here is Miller. I'm not seeing anyone dump on Wilson. I see 2 kinds of poster, Wilson lovers trashing Miller for reasons I can't explain and others who think these guys are pretty even.

If, by irrational, you mean "top 5 dynasty pick" in 2014, you can put me in that boat.

jurb26 said:
Boone22 said:

There are quite a few people early on in the thread who kept saying that Brown is going to kill Wilson's value. As Touchdown There said you would have to be crazy to think the Giants let Bradshaw walk so they could have someone they didn't trust (Wilson) and someone who can't trust his own body to stay healthy more than 2 consecutive games (Andre Brown). They let Bradshaw walk because the coaches see what they have in Wilson. I may be a homer for them but even if I wasn't you'd have to be completely insane to not realize that there's a very high chance that Wilson is the "next big thing" at the position. I will be trying to get him in every league I can this year, hell I wish the guy in my main dynasty league was as low on him as some people on these boards are... I'd trade away quite a lot to snag him in dynasty.

Bradshaw leaving had a lot to do with money. If he was still on the giants he would be the best back on the team. Business wise there was no reason to pay him with Wilson/Brown on the roster.

Bradshaw leaving had a lot to do with money. If he was still on the giants he would be the best back on the team. Business wise there was no reason to pay him with Wilson/Brown on the roster.
I doubt it, I think even with him on the team this season Wilson would have still taken over the starting job. It may not have happened in Week 1 but it would have eventually happened throughout the season. It's possible Wilson's 'breakout year' would have been delayed. But one way or another we would have seen what we saw in 2010 with a changing of the guard between Bradshaw and Jacobs. Wilson is CLEARLY a more talented back than Bradshaw in almost every single aspect of his game but pass protection (Bradshaw is rated #1 by all RBs by most sites that analyse those things).

A guy that is better than David Wilson doesn't sign with a team until mid June after being cleared to practice in late April. He signed for peanuts. It wasn't a money issue to any team in the league after he was cut and his contract voided. So if it was just a money thing and not a talent thing/injury risk thing, why did nobody but the Colts fly him in for a workout and nobody other than the Patriots give him a ring? Lots of teams could use a RB. My Rams probably first and foremost. But nobody had this guy in for a workout. That speaks volumes....

A guy that is better than David Wilson doesn't sign with a team until mid June after being cleared to practice in late April. He signed for peanuts. It wasn't a money issue to any team in the league after he was cut and his contract voided. So if it was just a money thing and not a talent thing/injury risk thing, why did nobody but the Colts fly him in for a workout and nobody other than the Patriots give him a ring? Lots of teams could use a RB. My Rams probably first and foremost. But nobody had this guy in for a workout. That speaks volumes....
Stop, he's on a roll.

Miller is a small RB

Turner would crush his value as a TD vulture

Bradshaw was released mostly because of money and is still the best RB on that team if there.

Let's see what other gems can be learned.

Stop, he's on a roll.

Miller is a small RB

Turner would crush his value as a TD vulture

Bradshaw was released mostly because of money and is still the best RB on that team if there.

Let's see what other gems can be learned.
First off, get off of my nuts. Small/speed what ever floats you boat. 212 isn't that big to me. No need to put what I say on a post stick. You're really lame for that. Saving what 2+ million in cap space when you have two capable backs on the didn't factor into the Giants decision making right? There is more of a supply than demand in the RB market right now after teams like NO/NE get away with paying pennies on the dollar with rbbc. Bradshaw sat back and waited for a starting role from a desperate team or one hit by injuries. He already won a ring and proved he's a starting caliber RB when healthy. He had no reason to accept anything less. Yea he seems like a distant memory but he's 27 and is coming off of his second best season of his career despite missing 4 games . I just watched him run for 200 yards in and game and rush for 100+ and a TD vs the 9er's. Just because he was cut does not mean he's "done." Having one workhorse RB in today's NFL is being de-emphasized. I got him for a 4th round pick a few weeks ago from someone thinking like this.

As much as Turner is injured he hasn't missed a game in 3 years. He scored 10+ TD every year he's been with ATL. Theres no crime not being better than S-Jax, especially when your a one trick pony. He's made plenty of money in his career. He doesn't have a reason to rush and sign to a team either. Wherever he lands I don't expect him to start but he will either be a goal-line runner and/or apart of a thunder and lightning kind of committee. I doubt he'll accept anything less. You stated something simple like YPC lol. Go watch what ATL looked like in the playoffs with and without him. He's still effective as a power runner(big back lmao).

Lets act like you're these guy agents because you sit in you moms basement all day refreshing rotoworld. In reality it's beneficial for them to wait for injuries to hit or for teams like IND/STL to realize that their RB's are not that good.

Lets act like we're these guy agents because you sit in you moms basement all day refreshing rotoworld. In reality it's beneficial for them to wait for injuries to hit or for teams like IND/STL to realize that their RB's are not that good.
I happen to know Gian in real life. I guarantee you he does not sit in Mom's basement. He's a husband, father, family man and very successful. He also doesn't take baseless pot shots. All his barbs at you have merit. And you prove that fact by defending the same lines over and over rather than admitting you are wrong. Miller is not 212. According to NFL.com he is 218. You may have read somewhere that he is 212 but that was in fact wrong and you need to accept that and move on. Your definition of a big back is 220 lbs. Him being .009% away from that pretty much puts him in your own definition of a big back. Be a man and say, "I made a mistake there. He seems smaller to me, but he is actually a big back." It's called integrity. Changing the argument to fit your erroneous statement is the exact opposite of that. Although it fits well with name calling and silly jabs at people you have never met on the innerwebs. BTW, I didn't realize he was that big either. I thought he was in the low 200's. I was surprised to know he was that big. See. It's not hard to do.

And Bradshaw did not sit back and wait for an injury or a RB desperate team. Indy went to the playoffs last year with Ballard at RB. Bradshaw didn't wait them out, they waited him out and got him for nothing and a promise to compete for the starting job. That's all he got for having his second best year in the NFL last year, even in only 12 games. That latter piece you throw out like it's a badge of honor. In the real world, that is the problem with him. The team he got that ring with decided to go with a second year player with little experience in the NFL and a guy who is as brittle as they come. If Bradshaw was that good and that healthy, $2 million is nothing for an NFL team to swallow out of their $100+ million cap, particularly one so adept at keeping the QB upright. In reality, had he stayed with the Giants he is probably the third best RB on the team. Even at the young age of 27.

And the Turner talk is just plain comedy. Keep hanging your hat on what he did the last three years. Funny thing about the NFL. He can't just turn in a card that says 2010 on it and say, "Here's what I will do in 2013," and have that happen. Guys hit a wall in this league. The come to a screeching halt and they stop. Their careers end and it is over for them. That actually happens to 100% of NFL players. Some sooner than others. You can argue he has more in the tank, but 32 GM's in the league think that not only is Stephen Jackson better than he is, they pretty much think 64 other RB's are better than he is if not 96. As in the RB1 and RB2 on every team is better and won't bother to bring the guy in on a vet minimum contract.

But wait, he's made tons of money so he doesn't need to sign for that. How the hell do you know he hasn't blown every dollar he has ever made? Do you know what the bankruptcy rate of pro athletes is after they retire? Who's playing the agent now? You have no idea what he is dealing with financially and yet you are making assumptions like you just hung out with him at the bar or a neighborhood poker game and he told you this stuff personally. Kind of hypocritical to say we're playing these guys agents when you pretend you and Turner are best buds or something.

Oh, and mom's basement? Clever. Did you come up with that all by yourself?

Dare I say that Wilson reminds me of a smaller and perhaps just a bit slower version of Ahman Green. They both were/are explosive and once they burst through the hole they hit top gear quickly.

Lets act like we're these guy agents because you sit in you moms basement all day refreshing rotoworld. In reality it's beneficial for them to wait for injuries to hit or for teams like IND/STL to realize that their RB's are not that good.
Oh, and mom's basement? Clever. Did you come up with that all by yourself?
Nah, I read it on the Internet. No matter what either of us say it's no more than a opinion. I don't think they suck because they didn't get a job early. If that's what you think then fine by me. And if you read what I said I actually reconsidered what he said about Turner. That's the whole point of posting on forums. But, I'll still say Turner isn't laughable and he's on record saying he's not retiring. If he does sign somewhere it wont be fun watching him get 3yrd TD's while your RB1/RB2 is on the bench. You're basically saying D. Thomas > Turner. I also cleared myself up calling Miller a speed back. I don't have a problem being wrong. Good catch if you ask me, but If u want to joke than lets joke.

Now Bradshaw would be the third best on a team he just lead in rushing... I like Wilson but the love he's getting is sick at this point.

I like Miller over WIlson. Wilson has a couple of things not going for him.

1 He has to keep holding onto the ball or Coughlin will put him in the dog house.

2. Brown is a better back then the guys that Dolphins have and will take more touches away from Wilson.

3. Giants recieving core is more talented than Dolphins and this will also keep touches from Wilson.

Miller will be featured in the running game and likely a number 3 option for the Dolphins in their passing game. They both are young RBs that people should be taking note of and getting on their rosters.

hauser42 said:

1 He has to keep holding onto the ball or Coughlin will put him in the dog house.

2. Brown is a better back then the guys that Dolphins have and will take more touches away from Wilson.

3. Giants recieving core is more talented than Dolphins and this will also keep touches from Wilson.

Miller will be featured in the running game and likely a number 3 option for the Dolphins in their passing game. They both are young RBs that people should be taking note of and getting on their rosters.
1. He had one fumble last season. On his 2nd carries of his career, then proceeded to keep the ball in his hands for 69 more carries and 57 kickoff returns. Truthfully I'm getting a little tired of hearing this as an excuse why Wilson won't be good.

2. Sure that's true, Brown also has never stayed healthy in his entire career.

3. This is a good point, but one I find irrelevant. Tom Coughlin's preferred avenue of coaching is and always has been the offense runs through the ground game. If Bradshaw hadn't been hurt last year he would have ended up with around 250 carries and around 35 receptions. That's not even taking into account that he was playing hurt all season and likely saw a small reduction in carries throughout the year as a result. In 2010 he had 276 carries and 47 receptions. Those are more in line with the numbers I see Wilson hitting this year. And then there is Tiki Barber who in his 3 years under Coughlin had 322, 357 and 327 carries and 58, 54 and 52 receptions. Prior to Coughlin coming to town Tiki had only eclipsed 200 carries 3 times in his career and 300 carries once. So trust me here, Coughlin LOVES to run the ball when the opportunity presents itself. And it's far and away his preferred avenue for having the offense run. The week one game plan for Wilson will probably be somewhere around 12-15 carries, if he explodes onto the scene like he did last year in his short term playing time. That will increase week by week.

Tom Coughlin has always been a RBBC head coach. Even if Andre Brown were to get injured as so many of you are assuming, are we to believe Wilson will take the touches that would have gone to Brown under those circumstances? That seems shortsighted.

hauser42 said:

Brown is Brittle. Even if Wilson fumbles on his second carry again this year, Coughlin is not benching the guy. He can't put Brown in there for 20 touches a game. He knows it, we know it, even Brown knows it. It wouldn't be a doghouse thing this year with nobody else on the roster besides Brown. It would be a confidence building thing and Wilson would get the ball on their next possession.

Tom Coughlin has always been a RBBC head coach. Even if Andre Brown were to get injured as so many of you are assuming, are we to believe Wilson will take the touches that would have gone to Brown under those circumstances? That seems shortsighted.
Paging Gian.

How do you possibly come to this conclusion?

Tom Coughlin :: New York Giants Head Coach :: 2004 - Present

2004 - Tiki Barber: 332 carries, 1,518 yards, 13 TDs

2005 - Tiki Barber: 357 carries, 1860 yards, 9 TDs

2006 - Tiki Barber: 327 carries, 1,662 yards, 5 TDs

2007 - Brandon Jacobs: 202 carries, 1,009 yards, 4 TDs (thru 11 games) *Over full season averages: 293 carries, 1345 yards, 6 TDs

2008 - Brandon Jacobs: 219 carries, 1,089 yards, 15 TDs (thru 13 games) *Over full season averages: 269 carries, 1340 yards, 18.5 TDs

2009 - Brandon Jacobs: 224 carries, 835 yards, 5 TDs (thru 15 games) *Over full season averages: 238 carries, 890 yards, 5 TDs

2010 - Ahmad Bradshaw: 276 carries, 1,235 yards, 8 TDs

2011 - Ahmad Bradshaw: 171 carries, 659 yards, 9 TDs (thru 11 games) *Over full season averages: 248 carries, 958 yards, 13 TDs

2012 - Ahmad Bradshaw: 221 carries, 1015 yards, 6 TDs (thru 14 games) *Over full season averages: 252 carries, 1160 yards, 7 TDs

So what I see in these numbers is this... when Coughlin had a true talented lead back he used him like such. 2004-2006 with Tiki proved this and even 2007 & 2008 proved it with Jacobs when he was healthy he saw lead RB carries. Not RBBC carries. In 2009 his numbers dipped as Bradshaw began cutting into his carries towards the end of the season and eventually took over to once again see lead back carry numbers. The last two seasons if anything have been anomalies for a Coughlin running attack because of injuries. If Bradshaw didn't have all these foot problems he probably would have been 275+ carries in 2011 and 2012. If healthy there is literally ZERO doubt in my mind that Wilson sees 270+ carries and another 40+ receptions. I personally see 275+ carries as a lead back amount of carries.

Since the Tiki Barber era, however, it seems he's liked the thunder/lightning approach to RBs.
Because neither Jacobs nor Bradshaw had the talent nor durability that Tiki had in his 3 years under Coughlin. Wilson has a lot of similar tools when compared with Tiki and he has zero durability issues to be concerned about as of yet. So there is no reason to believe that Coughlin wouldn't be willing to go back to that style of offense. It's not like the Giants run the ball any less then they did when Tiki was there. It's just a matter of them lacking a true lead back. Brown isn't a threat for more than 150 carries this season, he won't even stay healthy to become that type of threat. If and when Brown does go down I'd expect Wilson to go from 15+ touches to 20+ a game instead.

I don't see either of these guys as being big risks for a RBBC this year. Sure, the risk is greater for Wilson vs Miller for many of the reasons stated. Still, I think both guys get the lions share of the RB touches. I do however think Miller will receive more overall touches, say 320 vs 300 for Wilson.

Since the Tiki Barber era, however, it seems he's liked the thunder/lightning approach to RBs.
Because neither Jacobs nor Bradshaw had the talent nor durability that Tiki had in his 3 years under Coughlin. Wilson has a lot of similar tools when compared with Tiki and he has zero durability issues to be concerned about as of yet. So there is no reason to believe that Coughlin wouldn't be willing to go back to that style of offense. It's not like the Giants run the ball any less then they did when Tiki was there. It's just a matter of them lacking a true lead back. Brown isn't a threat for more than 150 carries this season, he won't even stay healthy to become that type of threat. If and when Brown does go down I'd expect Wilson to go from 15+ touches to 20+ a game instead.
Before Jacobs there was the Thunder of Ron Dayne that also did not work for the Giants. Coughlin does like a bigger back for short yardage and he will use Brown in at least that role this year. Which hurts Wilson's value as he will be the guy to get them to goaline but then be taken out.

Miller might also get pulled but Thomas has yet to prove he is much a RB for them, although we never know when a light bulb will go over with a player.

Before Jacobs there was the Thunder of Ron Dayne that also did not work for the Giants. Coughlin does like a bigger back for short yardage and he will use Brown in at least that role this year. Which hurts Wilson's value as he will be the guy to get them to goaline but then be taken out.

Miller might also get pulled but Thomas has yet to prove he is much a RB for them, although we never know when a light bulb will go over with a player.
True to an extent, the thing is Wilson will still see probably 90% of the touches from outside the 10 yard line. And he's a threat to score from anywhere. At the 10 yard line all he needs is a half a second hole to break it for a TD.

There could be a multitude of reasons why Coughlin has employed this type of offense since Tiki's retirement. Reduce wear and tear on his RBs. Keep the RBs fresh during games. Utilize different skill sets within the offense. Clearly it has been a successful approach.

I just think you're assuming a lot of things will work in Wilson's favor without evidence they will occur... Coughlin will revert to a workhorse RB offense, Brown will get hurt, Wilson will take the next step in pass pro, he won't fumble, Coughlin won't favor the vet in crucial situations, etc.

There could be a multitude of reasons why Coughlin has employed this type of offense since Tiki's retirement. Reduce wear and tear on his RBs. Keep the RBs fresh during games. Utilize different skill sets within the offense. Clearly it has been a successful approach.

I just think you're assuming a lot of things will work in Wilson's favor without evidence they will occur... Coughlin will revert to a workhorse RB offense, Brown will get hurt, Wilson will take the next step in pass pro, he won't fumble, Coughlin won't favor the vet in crucial situations, etc.
I guess I don't see them as big of question marks as you do because I've been watching every Giants game and listening to every piece of Giants news for the past like 10 years. I follow everything they do as a team from mini camps through the season. I know that Coughlin had always used a lead back (in Jacksonville he had Fred Taylor) when he had the ability to do as such. There are a lot of misconceptions with the way the Giants function as a team. The concept that Brown will get hurt doesn't seem to crazy we are talking about a guy who until last year had 2 career carries for -1 yards in his 3 years in the NFL. Why? Because he was constantly injured and being bounced between teams. The coaches and beat writers have been saying Wilson has seemed to take massive strides in his pass prot. As for fumbling I keep saying it, he had 1 fumble 2 carries into the season and after that carried the ball 69 times and did 57 Kick Returns without putting the ball on the ground once. This whole 'fumbling' myth really needs to stop until he starts actually fumbling. And I wouldn't call Andre Brown "the vet" a "vet" by definition has more than 2 carries in a three year career. By your description Da'rel Scott should be favored over Wilson because he's 'the vet'. If anything I'd say I feel like you are assuming a lot of things will work against Wilson. Most of my "assumptions" have solid evidence and reasoning behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread