What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Latest FBG music countdown of >800 artists - #2 The Rolling Stones, #1 The Allman Brothers Band (2 Viewers)

turnjose7

Footballguy
…with spreadsheets!

I have been sort of working on a music project for my own personal and neurotic interests long before posting about music on FBG, but with the popularity of all the music threads and the fun I had doing the Allman Brothers thread, I figured I might as well share with everyone and maybe others will find some enjoyment in it. This inspired me to pick up the pace and actually finish the project.

The background:

I have an incredibly obsessive-compulsive personality and am fanatical about making sure everything is ordered absolutely perfectly. Many people describe themselves as OCD, but I literally have every moment of every day between now and the end of March planned out to 15-minute increments. I have always been passionate about music because for me it is the one aspect of life that isn’t completely ordered and serious, it is the one thing that appeals to me on an emotional rather than a completely logical level (this is why I like a lot of jam bands, because it is the greatest contrast from normal life for me).

I am also a little bit of a luddite and rather than consuming most of my music via streaming services, I treasure the digital library on my hard drive (and still get most of that music by buying physical CDs). Over the last year or two I have expanded that collection and my primary music library (I have a couple smaller side collections) is nearly 15,000 tracks.

(Aside: Because I like jam bands, I often have multiple versions of the same song, which is why in @krista4 's thread I was very focused on the distinction between “songs” and “tracks.” I have 42 versions of the song that appears most frequently in my library.)

Songs are assigned to various playlists based on things like genre but also based on how much I like them. My project has been to rank artists/groups (going forward I will consider these two words interchangeable) by a point system based on how many songs appear in my library and what playlists they are assigned to (along with other factors – I will provide more details on the scoring system in a subsequent post).

Before creating my list, I filtered out all classical music as well as some novelty songs and other stuff that didn’t really seem to fit.

The final project comprises 13,873 tracks from 879 artists/groups. Most of it is rock but a variety of genres are represented including blues, jazz, bluegrass, country, funk, and R+B.

My plan is to count down the list over the next few months. At the bottom of the list (artists with 1 point, 2 points, etc.) things are bunched up with in some cases dozens of artists being tied with the same ranking. For this part of the countdown, I will post the artists together in big groups with just a little bit of general commentary.

Gradually, I will expand write-ups to provide much more detail on individual artists and links to tracks for recommended listening. Once I get close to the top 100 rank positions (which coincidentally occurs around a point total of about 100), the artists will separate more, there will be less ties, and I will have more much more detailed posts with stats, more substantial commentaries, multiple recommended tracks, etc. It will be somewhat reminiscent of my Allman Brothers thread.

Hopefully those who follow along will find it interesting and discover some new music. I feel confident that the breadth and depth is such that almost everyone will discover something new. And hopefully it generates some good discussion. There is at least one artist in the top 20 that I imagine most here aren’t familiar with and at least a couple of artists in the top 10 I think most would consider dark horses. On the other hand, there is one artist many would probably have in their top 10 that does not appear on my list at all. While many of the rankings line up with what you might expect, there will also be some surprises (even I was shocked by some of these rankings).

I plan to start counting down the artists tomorrow night.

Before that, since Krista and others have done charity contests with some of these countdowns, I’d like to do that as well. I will donate $250 to the charity of choice for the person who comes closest to guessing the top 15 artists in my rankings. If two people tie, I will do $150 to the charities of each (if more than that tie, I will draw out of a hat to break the tie). I will also donate $100 to the charity of whomever comes closest to guessing the point total for the #1 artist on the list (absolute difference, no Price is Right rules). To be eligible for either contest you must send me your guesses and the charity pick before I get to the Top 100.

The process:

To give you a chance to come close in your guesses, it might help to know more about how I constructed the list.

First, there was a lot of grouping and splicing of artists mainly based on how I arrange things on my devices and what seemed most effective for keeping the project orderly. For instance, Jimi Hendrix is considered one artist and I don’t have separate entries for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Band of Gypsys, etc. Many of these decisions were judgment calls and some were personal preference. You may disagree and that’s fine. It’s my list.

Many factors went into determining the total score. First was base points for all songs in the library. As I mentioned, I place songs in one of five playlists with corresponding point values of 1-5. Total points for all songs made up the artist’s base score. The rationale is that this reflects both more songs on the list (obviously I am going to collect more music from artists I like more) and placement on better playlists.

However, availability plays a role in determining how much music I could include for each artist, so an adjustment was made (in most cases adding points but in some cases subtracting points) based on average playlist score.

After that several bonuses were applied for things that I value, including longevity (points for list inclusions spanning >2 decades with increasing points for longer time periods), consistency (having lots of songs without having any low rankings), and being very jammy (having a large percentage of songs >10 minutes in length).

Separately, I have two other lists created outside this project that I applied to the project. The first is a ranking of my 50 favorite tracks in my collection. Artists were awarded a bonus for having songs on this list with a value of 50 points for the top song down to 1 point for the bottom song.

The second list is a ranking of my favorite musicians in the following categories: songwriter (or songwriting team), singer, guitarist, bassist, drummer, other instrumentalist/multi-instrumentalist. I took the top 20 musicians from each category and applied a bonus equal to 3*(21-rank) to the groups featuring those musicians.

In some cases, if a musician with the personnel bonus was in multiple groups or in a group with a separate solo career, I gave full credit to some of the groups and partial to others. Many factors went into this and ultimately it was at my discretion. Groups with more songs on the list in which the musician had a role was a major factor. I’ll get into this more when I get into the artists.

For those who are interested, details of the scoring system can be found here.

Obviously, this system has many flaws and the rankings it generated in some cases are quite different than the way I would rank them based on gut feeling. I’ll point out some cases with the largest disparities. Regardless, it was a fun approach to this and I am also interested in talking about the process as we go along.

Looking forward to getting things started tomorrow!

Also, this isn't part of the charity contest, but bonus points to whoever guesses which song I have 42 versions of in my rotation

Also, this isn't part of the charity contest, but bonus points to whoever guesses which song I have 42 versions of in my rotation
The obvious guess is In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

Good thought as I think this is well known to be my favorite song, but not correct. I do have a lot of versions of this song though. Don't think that is too much of a spoiler. The Allmans are obviously going to be high on my list.

Also, I miscounted. I actually have 43 versions of the most frequent song. I missed one cover version.

Also, I realized I should be more specific about how I will do the first charity contest. Send me what you think my top 15 will be in order and I will calculate the difference in rank position between what you guessed and where they actually are ranked on my list. If they don't appear on my list at all they get 880. I will add up the total for all 15 songs that you guess and low score wins.

@turnjose7 what's your reveal schedule?

It depends because I'm really not sure how long it will take to do all the write-ups. Also, I have a new position at my job that I am still learning and sometimes my very regimented schedule gets disrupted (which is killing my OCD and is why I was later getting this started than I expected). I am planning on unveiling all the artists with 1-5 points tonight (which actually accounts for over half the list) and then most of the rest of the list up to 20 points over about a week or two. Those will be the quick commentaries. After that it will get more detailed and will probably be about 5 artists a day for a little while. When I get to the top 50ish I will slow it down to 1-2 per day. So overall I think it will take at least a couple of months.

Once I get close to the top 100 and guesses being do I will remind people to send them to me.

Tie-784 (1 point)

Alabama Barnstormers, Alan Lomax and the Ramblers, Alley Boys of Abbeville, Big Joe Williams, Billy Curley Barrix, Bob Wallis' Washboard Beaters, Bobby Bare, Bobby Charles, Bradley Walker, Brenda Holloway, Brendan Bowyer, Carl Story, Carson Robinson and the Pioneers, The Carter Family, Chris Young, Clarence Frogman Henry, Corey Harris, Dale Hawkins, Daniel Santiago and Pedro Martins, Danny Overbea, Deep Blue Something, Don Gibson, Edwin Starr, Ella Brown, Esquire Boys, Fiddlin' John Carson and Moonshine Kate, Flow, Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons, Freddie Slack and His Orchestra, Gloria Jones, Great Awakening, Gretchen Wilson, Hayes Shepherd, Hobo Jack Adkins, Hoyt Axton, Isaac Hayes, Jake Owens, Jim McCann, Jimmy Binkley, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Martin and the Osborne Brothers, Jimmy McCracklin, Jimmy Ruffin, Jimmy Witherspoon, Joe Louis Walker, Johnny Horton, Keith Urban, Kinsey Report, The Knack, Kurt Rosenwinkel and Pedro Martins, Larry Liggett, Laura Nyro, Lil' Son Jackson, Loggins and Messina, Lonestar, Luke Jones and Joe Alexander, Ma Rainey, Mamie Smith, Marc Cohn, Marc Williams, Marianne Faithful, Martina McBride, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Mary Wells, Master P and TRU, Mavis Staples, Men at Work, Minnie Riperton, The O'Jays, Peaches & Herb, Percy Mayfield, The Pindar Family, The Platters, Quiet Riot, Rascal Flatts, Rice Brothers Gang, Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians, Roomful of Blues, Ruth Brown, Shannon Grayson and the Golden Valley Boys, Slim and Slam, Smash Mouth, Snooks Eaglin, Snoop Dogg, Sonny Osborne, Stevie Nicks, Suzanne Vega, Tears for Fears, Tom Misch, The Trammps, Travis Tritt, The Tymes, The Velvelettes, Wade Mariner Blues, Will Bradley, Willie Mabon

As I mentioned, at the very bottom of the list things are going to be pretty bunched up and our first entry, those with a single point, includes nearly 100 artists.

One thing that I like to do is explore musicians that influenced my favorite musicians, so the first few rankings will include a lot of really old blues, folk, gospel, and even skiffle. Some of that stuff is great and you will see some delta blues musicians and others that recorded nearly a hundred years ago much higher on my list. But especially with the poor sound quality (which does affect my rankings since it affects how much I want to listen to it) most of it isn’t worth having as a huge part of my library.

The first entry does give some hint as to the diversity you will see later in the list. When you have Bob Wallis’ Washboard Beaters, Master P, The Platters, and Quiet Riot all grouped together I think you get the sense that there will be quite a range of genres and styles.

One thing I haven’t mentioned yet that I probably should have is that rap and punk are two genres I am not a big fan of, so while they will appear on the list, I suspect people will object to them being ranked too low in most cases. Snoop is a clear early example of this. Feel free to totally blast me for those rankings if you’d like.

The other artist that I suspect many will freak out about being this low is Stevie Nicks. If I had done this list 10-15 years ago, she would have been way higher. Obviously “Edge of Seventeen” is the one song that is in my library. I used to really love this song and also liked a lot of her other stuff. But for some reason over the years, she has really worn on me and I just don’t enjoy listening to her stuff that much anymore. I really don’t have a good explanation for why. I’ll revisit these thoughts, though, when we get to Fleetwood Mac who is, of course, ranked a bit higher than this.

My one recommendation for something unique and interesting to check out from this group, if you aren’t already familiar, is Clarence “Frogman” Henry. I don’t know what else to say except it is definitely different. The Band did a cover of his song “Aint’ Got No Home" and while that track doesn’t appear in my library, a similar version recorded by Jakob Dylan for the “Love for Levon” concert does.

Last edited:
If it wasn't clear, the "Tie-784" means these artists are tied for the 784th spot, taking up spots 784-879.

Once we get down to it being mostly 1 or 2 artists per rank slot I will change the thread title with new entries, but obviously when it is 10+ artists I am not putting them all in the thread title.

Tie-671 (2 points)

10cc, Alabama, Avon Cities Skiffle, B Bumble and the Stingers, Bailey Brothers, Betty Smith's Skiffle Group, Big Walter Horton, Billie Holiday, Billy Joe Shaver, Bob Margolin, Bonnie Dobson, Brown's Ferry Four, Bryan Adams, Buckcherry, Buddy Miller, Cash Box Kings, Chickenfoot, CJ Chenier and the Red Hot Louisiana Band, Clyde Valley Stompers, The Commodores, The Contours, Curtis Salgado, Danzig, David Grisman, Dusty Springfield, Ella Mae Morse, Erma Franklin, Foghat, The Four Tops, Gloria Gaynor, Guitar Slim, Gustavo Santaolalla, Hard Working Americans, Harry Chapin, Harry James, The Highwaymen, The Holmes Brothers, Iron Butterfly, Jimmy Nelson, Johnny Burnette & The Rock and Roll Trio, Johnny Guitar Watson, Johnny McEvoy, Judas Priest, Kenny Chesney, Kimmie Rhodes and the Outlaw Allstars, Larry Campbell, Larry McCray, LC Smith and Ralph Mayo, Leroy Carr, Lianne La Havas, Lightning Hopkins, Lil' Ed and the Blues Imperials, Little Charlie and the Nightcats, Lou Reed, The Lovelles, Luther Johnson, Mamas and Papas, Marcy Playground, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, The Marvelettes, MC5, Megadeth, Memphis Slim, Mighty Mighty Boss Stones, Miranda Lambert, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Mississippi John Hurt, Moody Blues, Obray Ramsey, Old Crow Medicine Show, Paddy Reilly, Paladins, Patsy Cline, Patti LaBelle, Paul Thorn, Phil Collins, Pratt and McLain, R.L. Burnside, Reverend Gary Davis, Rick Estrin and the Nightcats, Ricky Van Shelton, Robert Wilkins, The Romantics, Roosevelt Sykes, Roy Acuff, Sam and Dave, Sara Evans, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Sean Dunphy, Semisonic, Silversun Pickups, Skip James, Slim Harpo, Smokey Hogg, Smokin' Joe Kubeck and Bnois King, The Spinners, St. Louis Jimmy, The Stray Cats, The Sundays, Tampa Red, Television, Tiny Bradshaw, Tommy Casto and the Painkillers, Tommy Johnson, Tonic, Trace Adkins, Tracy Bonham, The Verve, The Violent Femmes, The Wallflowers, Weissberg and Mandell, Willie Walker, Willy DeVille and Mark Knopfler

My second lowest ranking continues to feature a lot of influences for artists that appear later in the list, with musicians like Tampa Red, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Roy Acuff, Obray Ramsey, Larry McCray, and a bunch more skiffle groups. For Grateful Dead fans, I’ll point out that Reverend Gary Davis famously recorded “Sampson and Delilah” and “Death Don’t Have No Mercy,” while Obray Ramsey did a great version of “Cold Rain and Snow.” All of these were regularly featured in Dead setlists.

Our second entry also continues to feature quite a bit of diversity with everything from Dusty Springfield to Danzig; the Mamas and the Papas to Megadeth.

One thing that really became apparent as I was putting together my list is that my collection (and my knowledge) is fairly lacking in great female vocalists, particular when it comes to jazz and country. That is seen here with artists like Billie Holiday and Patsy Cline appearing so early and will be seen in some additional artists in the next few posts. It’s a little embarrassing to me, but also a good thing because it gives me something else to continue exploring.

Iron Butterfly apparently couldn’t do any better despite "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" being like the second or third thing I ever tried to play on guitar.

Phil Collins is probably the biggest name this round that I suspect might be higher on the list of others. Just not really my style. MC5 is another people might give me a hard time about. I certainly recognize their importance. Again, just not something I would go out of my way to listen to.

Tie-569 (3 points)

Bachman Turner Overdrive, The Barry Goldberg Blues Band, Ben E. King, Beryl Bryden's Backroom Skiffle, Better Than Ezra, Big Momma Thorton, Billy Squier, Blackfoot, Blink-182, Blondie, Blue Sky Boys, Bobby Lance, Bobby Parker, Brooks and Dunn, Buckethead, Buddy Johnson, Carey Bell, Carly Simon, Cephas and Wiggins, Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group, Chris Barber Skiffle Group, Chris Cain, Chuck Willis, Clarence Brown, Coco Montoya, The Cranberries, Dave Hole, Days of the New, Dierks Bentley, The Dixie Dregs, Dobie Gray, Don McLean, Earl Hooker, Eddie Boyd, Eddie Vedder, Eric Lindell, Eric Quincey Tate, Errol Garner, Faith No More, Five Man Electric Band, Frank Hunter and the Black Mountain Boys, Freddie Mitchell Orchestra, Genesis, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Golden Earring, Guitar Shorty, Hambone Willie Newbern, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Heaven and Hell, Hound Dog Taylor, Jack McVea, Jackie Lomax, Jake Holmes, James Carr, Janiva Magness, JB Lenoir, John Sebastian, Kenny Neal, Koko Taylor, Lazlo Bane, Live, Long John Hunter, The Lumineers, Luther Allison, Marcia Ball, Meade Lux Lewis, Michael Burks, Minnie Wallace, Molly Hatchet, Molly O'Day, Monte Montgomery, The Morris Brothers, The Nick Moss Band, Peggy Seeger Group, Preston Love, Procol Harum, Randy Rhoads, Redcaps, Reverend Shawn Amos, The Righteous Brothers, Roger Glover and Friends, Roy Buchanan, Roy Milton, Seven Mary Three, Sex Pistols, The Siegel-Schwall Band, Silverchair, Slash, Smiley Lewis, Son Seals, The Soul Stirrers, Spencer Wiggins, The Supremes, Tinsley Ellis, Tommy Brown, Toronzo Cannon, Uriah Heep, Whitesnake, Will Shade, William Clarke, Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper, Woody Guthrie

The 3-pointer rankings seem like the round of bands that I grew up listening to in my formative years but these days care much less about. Bands like Silverchair, Better Than Ezra, The Cranberries, and Seven Mary Three were the soundtrack of my teenage years. Eventually I discovered better music, but every once in a while I’ll go back and listen and can still find enjoyment in some of these songs.

The round is also the first to feature several guitar superstars. Most are probably quite familiar with the work of Randy Rhoads and Slash, who will obviously come up later in the countdown in association with other artists. Perhaps less well-known is Monty Montgomery who on a number of occasions has been described as one of the best primarily acoustic guitarists in the world. Check him out on this version of “Sultans of Swing.”

Oh, and if you don’t know who Jake Holmes is, he wrote a song some of you may know

At this point I should probably expand on a point I made when describing my ranking process. I mentioned judgment calls in terms of distributing points for the personnel bonus. Slash is an example of what I was talking about. He makes the cut as one of my 20 favorite guitarists (checking in at #16 to be specific) and has had the full 15 bonus points awarded to Gun N’ Roses. His solo career was not awarded any points, however, given that it only accounted for a couple of songs on my list. If I had multiple songs from his solo career (or from Snakepit) in my library, he could have been eligible for half or even full credit for the personnel bonus. In this case there just wasn’t enough there to justify that. In general, I used a cutoff of around a typical album’s worth of songs for assigning this type of credit, though there are cases in both directions in which I made exceptions.

Alabama Barnstormers, Alan Lomax and the Ramblers, Alley Boys of Abbeville, Big Joe Williams, Billy Curley Barrix, Bob Wallis' Washboard Beaters, Bobby Bare, Bobby Charles, Bradley Walker, Brenda Holloway, Brendan Bowyer, Carl Story, Carson Robinson and the Pioneers, The Carter Family, Chris Young, Clarence Frogman Henry, Corey Harris, Dale Hawkins, Daniel Santiago and Pedro Martins, Danny Overbea, Deep Blue Something, Don Gibson, Edwin Star, Ella Brown, Esquire Boys, Fiddlin' John Carson and Moonshine Kate, Flow, Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons, Freddie Slack and His Orchestra, Gloria Jones, Great Awakening, Gretchen Wilson, Hayes Shepherd, Hobo Jack Adkins, Hoyt Axton, Isaac Hayes, Jake Owens, Jim McCann, Jimmy Binkley, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Martin and the Osborne Brothers, Jimmy McCracklin, Jimmy Ruffin, Jimmy Witherspoon, Joe Louis Walker, Johnny Horton, Keith Urban, Kinsey Report, The Knack, Kurt Rosenwinkel and Pedro Martins, Larry Liggett, Laura Nyro, Lil' Son Jackson, Loggins and Messina, Lonestar, Luke Jones and Joe Alexander, Ma Rainey, Mamie Smith, Marc Cohn, Marc Williams, Marianne Faithful, Martina McBride, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Mary Wells, Master P and TRU, Mavis Staples, Men at Work, Minnie Riperton, The O'Jays, Peaches & Herb, Percy Mayfield, The Pindar Family, The Platters, Quiet Riot, Rascal Flatts, Rice Brothers Gang, Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians, Roomful of Blues, Ruth Brown, Shannon Grayson and the Golden Valley Boys, Slim and Slam, Smash Mouth, Snooks Eaglin, Snoop Dogg, Sonny Osborne, Stevie Nicks, Suzanne Vega, Tears for Fears, Tom Misch, The Trammps, Travis Tritt, The Tymes, The Velvelettes, Wade Mariner Blues, Will Bradley, Willie Mabon

If the Deep Blue Something song is the only one I know, I might need to quit the thread already. :lol:

Out of curiosity, which are the one songs you have from the following:

The Carter Family
Edwin Starr (I think he's misspelled up there)
Hoyt Axton
Isaac Hayes
Mavis Staples
Men at Work
The O'Jays
Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians
Tears for Fears

The Laura Nyro call-out makes me think of wikkid. :cry:

With respect to the Jake Holmes song, you might appreciate that the lyrics are different than you would typically hear from Led Zeppelin. Plant changed the lyrics around a fair amount, but if you go back and listen to Keith Relf sing it with the Yardbirds, his lyrics are much closer to the original. More to come on both Keith and the Yarbirds later in the countdown (and I'm guessing Zeppelin just might make another appearance as well).

Alabama Barnstormers, Alan Lomax and the Ramblers, Alley Boys of Abbeville, Big Joe Williams, Billy Curley Barrix, Bob Wallis' Washboard Beaters, Bobby Bare, Bobby Charles, Bradley Walker, Brenda Holloway, Brendan Bowyer, Carl Story, Carson Robinson and the Pioneers, The Carter Family, Chris Young, Clarence Frogman Henry, Corey Harris, Dale Hawkins, Daniel Santiago and Pedro Martins, Danny Overbea, Deep Blue Something, Don Gibson, Edwin Star, Ella Brown, Esquire Boys, Fiddlin' John Carson and Moonshine Kate, Flow, Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons, Freddie Slack and His Orchestra, Gloria Jones, Great Awakening, Gretchen Wilson, Hayes Shepherd, Hobo Jack Adkins, Hoyt Axton, Isaac Hayes, Jake Owens, Jim McCann, Jimmy Binkley, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Martin and the Osborne Brothers, Jimmy McCracklin, Jimmy Ruffin, Jimmy Witherspoon, Joe Louis Walker, Johnny Horton, Keith Urban, Kinsey Report, The Knack, Kurt Rosenwinkel and Pedro Martins, Larry Liggett, Laura Nyro, Lil' Son Jackson, Loggins and Messina, Lonestar, Luke Jones and Joe Alexander, Ma Rainey, Mamie Smith, Marc Cohn, Marc Williams, Marianne Faithful, Martina McBride, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Mary Wells, Master P and TRU, Mavis Staples, Men at Work, Minnie Riperton, The O'Jays, Peaches & Herb, Percy Mayfield, The Pindar Family, The Platters, Quiet Riot, Rascal Flatts, Rice Brothers Gang, Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians, Roomful of Blues, Ruth Brown, Shannon Grayson and the Golden Valley Boys, Slim and Slam, Smash Mouth, Snooks Eaglin, Snoop Dogg, Sonny Osborne, Stevie Nicks, Suzanne Vega, Tears for Fears, Tom Misch, The Trammps, Travis Tritt, The Tymes, The Velvelettes, Wade Mariner Blues, Will Bradley, Willie Mabon

If the Deep Blue Something song is the only one I know, I might need to quit the thread already. :lol:

Out of curiosity, which are the one songs you have from the following:

The Carter Family
Edwin Starr (I think he's misspelled up there)
Hoyt Axton
Isaac Hayes
Mavis Staples
Men at Work
The O'Jays
Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians
Tears for Fears

The Laura Nyro call-out makes me think of wikkid. :cry:

Sorry for the error on the spelling and thanks for point it out. Fixed it in the original post.

The Carter Family - Keep on the Sunny Side
Edwin Starr - War
Hoyt Axton - A Rusty Old Halo
Isaac Hayes - Theme from Shaft
Mavis Staples - There's a Devil on the Loose
Men at Work - Down Under
The O'Jays - Use ta Be My Girl
Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians - So You Think You're in Love
Tears for Fears - Break It Down Again

Tie-516 (4 points)

Al Green, Arthur Conley, Bill Haley and the Comets, Billy Branch and the Sons of Blues, Blind Willie McTell, Blue Oyster Cult, Brad Paisley, Carole King, The Carpenters, Clarence Carter, Coleman Hawkins, Corrosion of Conformity, Cry of Love, The Delmore Brothers, Dr. Dre, Dr. Hook, Elf, Etta James, Family, Free, Fun, Hattie Hart, Jakob Dylan, Jay Ungar and Molly Mason, Jimmy Cliff, Jimmy Rogers, John Brim, Jorma Kaukonen, Judah & the Lion, Laura Lee, Lenny Kravitz, Little Willie John, Lonnie Donegan, LuLu, Marty Robbins, Meatloaf, Merle Haggard, Michael Hill's Blues Mob, moe, Paul Pena, Pure Prairie League, Roger Waters, Selwyn Birchwood, The Smiths, Sons of Ralph, Spirit, Steve Earle, Taste, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Velvet Revolver, Vol Stevens, Whitney Houston, Will Weldon

Back-to-back rounds featuring Slash! I think it goes without saying that Velvet Revolver also did not get any of his personnel bonus.

This is another round featuring some great female vocalists that I really need to spend a lot more time listening to. Etta James singing “At Last” and Whitney Houston doing “I Will Always Love You” are clearly two of the greatest vocal performances ever, regardless of gender.

This round actually has a lot of stuff I feel like I should explore more. While I am not as big of a country music fan, Marty Robbins and Merle Haggard were great songwriters and. Again. both had a big influence on the Grateful Dead (see “El Paso” and “Mama Tried” which should be instantly familiar to any Dead fan).

We really get into deep cuts here with the Sons of Ralph, a bluegrass band from Asheville that are super talented but relatively obscure. It was hard to even find any decent video on them. This is about the best I could do. If you like bluegrass, though, do yourself a favor and go to Amazon to download the song “111.” It’s one of the best bluegrass instrumentals I’ve ever heard.

Finally, this round is sentimental to me. The first ever band I saw perform in concert was Corrosion of Conformity (bet no one would have guessed that) and it started me on a path of being obsessed with live music. More importantly, on one of our first dates, my wife and I saw Judah & the Lion (her choice, not mine, but it was actually a pretty good show).

10cc, Alabama, Avon Cities Skiffle, B Bumble and the Stingers, Bailey Brothers, Betty Smith's Skiffle Group, Big Walter Horton, Billie Holiday, Billy Joe Shaver, Bob Margolin, Bonnie Dobson, Brown's Ferry Four, Bryan Adams, Buckcherry, Buddy Miller, Cash Box Kings, Chickenfoot, CJ Chenier and the Red Hot Louisiana Band, Clyde Valley Stompers, The Commodores, The Contours, Curtis Salgado, Danzig, David Grisman, Dusty Springfield, Ella Mae Morse, Erma Franklin, Foghat, The Four Tops, Gloria Gaynor, Guitar Slim, Gustavo Santaolalla, Hard Working Americans, Harry Chapin, Harry James, The Highwaymen, The Holmes Brothers, Iron Butterfly, Jimmy Nelson, Johnny Burnette & The Rock and Roll Trio, Johnny Guitar Watson, Johnny McEvoy, Judas Priest, Kenny Chesney, Kimmie Rhodes and the Outlaw Allstars, Larry Campbell, Larry McCray, LC Smith and Ralph Mayo, Leroy Carr, Lianne La Havas, Lightning Hopkins, Lil' Ed and the Blues Imperials, Little Charlie and the Nightcats, Lou Reed, The Lovelles, Luther Johnson, Mamas and Papas, Marcy Playground, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, The Marvelettes, MC5, Megadeth, Memphis Slim, Mighty Mighty Boss Stones, Miranda Lambert, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Mississippi John Hurt, Moody Blues, Obray Ramsey, Old Crow Medicine Show, Paddy Reilly, Paladins, Patsy Cline, Patti LaBelle, Paul Thorn, Phil Collins, Pratt and McLain, R.L. Burnside, Reverend Gary Davis, Rick Estrin and the Nightcats, Ricky Van Shelton, Robert Wilkins, The Romantics, Roosevelt Sykes, Roy Acuff, Sam and Dave, Sara Evans, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Sean Dunphy, Semisonic, Silversun Pickups, Skip James, Slim Harpo, Smokey Hogg, Smokin' Joe Kubeck and Bnois King, The Spinners, St. Louis Jimmy, The Stray Cats, The Sundays, Tampa Red, Television, Tiny Bradshaw, Tommy Casto and the Painkillers, Tommy Johnson, Tonic, Trace Adkins, Tracy Bonham, The Verve, The Violent Femmes, The Wallflowers, Weissberg and Mandell, Willie Walker, Willy DeVille and Mark Knopfler

I couldn't care less about Phil Collins's solo career, but in addition to MC5, the bolded are the ones that would definitely end up higher on my list. (Not criticizing yours at all and won't - just expressing my own preferences). Semisonic is a little weird in my listening, in that I loved this band and then they had "that hit," which was OK but nowhere near as good as most of the rest of their stuff, so that kind of turned me off. For some reason I always have to ask myself, "Is it The Verve I really love or The Verve Pipe," and then I look it up. It is The Verve. Their song, "Sonnet" is an all-time favorite.

Sorry for the error on the spelling and thanks for point it out. Fixed it in the original post.

Edwin Starr - War
Men at Work - Down Under

Lots of great choices, especially for Starr and Tears for Fears. My favorite from Men at Work, and it's not even close is, "Overkill." Colin Hay also did it as a solo act, and I think it's even better. :)

I couldn't care less about Phil Collins's solo career, but in addition to MC5, the bolded are the ones that would definitely end up higher on my list. (Not criticizing yours at all and won't - just expressing my own preferences). Semisonic is a little weird in my listening, in that I loved this band and then they had "that hit," which was OK but nowhere near as good as most of the rest of their stuff, so that kind of turned me off. For some reason I always have to ask myself, "Is it The Verve I really love or The Verve Pipe," and then I look it up. It is The Verve. Their song, "Sonnet" is an all-time favorite.

Yeah I thought some of the ones you highlighted might get some love. R.L. Burnside will be featured later on with a group that appears higher in the list. I might need to explore him more. Screamin' Jay Hawkins I never know what to do with. I go back and forth on him. Obviously he is incredibly awesome and "I Put a Spell on You" is just an incredible song, but also at the same time I find him weird and creepy.

Certainly "I Put a Spell on You" will show up in recordings by others in a much more prominent position.

Edwin Starr - War
Men at Work - Down Under

Lots of great choices, especially for Starr and Tears for Fears. My favorite from Men at Work, and it's not even close is, "Overkill." Colin Hay also did it as a solo act, and I think it's even better. :)

Spoiler - it will come up later under Colin Hay. I actually prefer his solo recordings for many songs above the Men at Work recordings.

Did you mention anywhere how many total points your top artist ended up with?

It's one of the charity contests to guess. That's why I included the details of the scoring system.

I did mention that around rank position 100 we get to around 100 points total. Though I will say that the scores go up at a faster pace after that, largely due to substantial bonuses.

Did you mention anywhere how many total points your top artist ended up with?

It's one of the charity contests to guess. That's why I included the details of the scoring system.

I did mention that around rank position 100 we get to around 100 points total. Though I will say that the scores go up at a faster pace after that, largely due to substantial bonuses.

Ah sorry. I skimmed the charity contests because I'm horrible at guessing such things and will not embarrass myself. :lol:

Thanks for the tip on The Verve. I don't know "Sonnet" so I'll check it out.

I totally get what you are saying with one popular song ruining your perception of an otherwise good artist. I will point that out with an artist who comes up later this week or maybe sometime next week.

Bachman Turner Overdrive, The Barry Goldberg Blues Band, Ben E. King, Beryl Bryden's Backroom Skiffle, Better Than Ezra, Big Momma Thorton, Billy Squier, Blackfoot, Blink-182, Blondie, Blue Sky Boys, Bobby Lance, Bobby Parker, Brooks and Dunn, Buckethead, Buddy Johnson, Carey Bell, Carly Simon, Cephas and Wiggins, Chas McDevitt Skiffle Group, Chris Barber Skiffle Group, Chris Cain, Chuck Willis, Clarence Brown, Coco Montoya, The Cranberries, Dave Hole, Days of the New, Dierks Bentley, The Dixie Dregs, Dobie Gray, Don McLean, Earl Hooker, Eddie Boyd, Eddie Vedder, Eric Lindell, Eric Quincey Tate, Errol Garner, Faith No More, Five Man Electric Band, Frank Hunter and the Black Mountain Boys, Freddie Mitchell Orchestra, Genesis, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Golden Earring, Guitar Shorty, Hambone Willie Newbern, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, Heaven and Hell, Hound Dog Taylor, Jack McVea, Jackie Lomax, Jake Holmes, James Carr, Janiva Magness, JB Lenoir, John Sebastian, Kenny Neal, Koko Taylor, Lazlo Bane, Live, Long John Hunter, The Lumineers, Luther Allison, Marcia Ball, Meade Lux Lewis, Michael Burks, Minnie Wallace, Molly Hatchet, Molly O'Day, Monte Montgomery, The Morris Brothers, The Nick Moss Band, Peggy Seeger Group, Preston Love, Procol Harum, Randy Rhoads, Redcaps, Reverend Shawn Amos, The Righteous Brothers, Roger Glover and Friends, Roy Buchanan, Roy Milton, Seven Mary Three, Sex Pistols, The Siegel-Schwall Band, Silverchair, Slash, Smiley Lewis, Son Seals, The Soul Stirrers, Spencer Wiggins, The Supremes, Tinsley Ellis, Tommy Brown, Toronzo Cannon, Uriah Heep, Whitesnake, Will Shade, William Clarke, Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper, Woody Guthrie

Those I'm most surprised to see here are Blondie, Genesis, Gladys Knight, and The Supremes. Not saying I'd have them terribly high either, but they seem to be beloved by many.

I bet I can guess the Dobie Gray and Don McLean songs! :lol:

I get that MC5 is not your thing, but their third and least popular album High Time has some well-executed and adventurous tracks that you might find appealing. The two that might do it for you are Sister Anne and Future/Now. My favorite is Over and Over.

Thanks for the tip on The Verve. I don't know "Sonnet" so I'll check it out.

I totally get what you are saying with one popular song ruining your perception of an otherwise good artist. I will point that out with an artist who comes up later this week or maybe sometime next week.

Check out "The Drugs Don't Work" in addition to "Sonnet" if you don't know it already. Those two are neck-and-neck as my favorites.

Tie-467 (5 points)

Alan Jackson, Barleycorn, Bessie Smith, The Bill Evans Trio, Bruce Hornsby, Candlebox, City Ramblers Skiffle Group, Creed, Dave Edmunds, Dinosaur Jr., Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Disco Biscuits, Don Henley, Dublin City Ramblers, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Foreigner, Henry Thomas, Indigo Girls, Iron Maiden, James Bay, Jerry Joseph, Jim Earnes and the Shenandoah Valley Boys, Jimmy Buffet, John Fogerty, Journey, Jupiter Coyote, Kansas, Katie Webster, Keith Relf, Ken Coyler Skiffle Group, Little Walter, Lonnie Brooks, Mick Jagger and Ry Cooder, O.A.R., The Ramones, The Ronettes, Saffire the Uppity Blues Women, Second Coming, Shania Twain, Sheryl Crow, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, Soul Survivors, Styx, Talking Heads, Toadies, Victor Wooten, Vince Gill, Vipers Skiffle Group

The five-point round is kind of all over the place. I really don’t know what the hell I was doing here. Even though I mentioned that I don’t really like punk that much, The Ramones certainly deserve a better spot than this. Creed, on the other hand, doesn’t deserve to be anywhere near this high. I’m honestly not sure why I even have any of their music in my collection, other than for sentimental reasons.

I can’t really justify either of those picks, so I’ll change the subject completely. Victor Wooten is another example of the “Slash judgment” that I described earlier. He checks in at #3 on my favorite bassist but isn’t awarded any points for his solo efforts. That ranking does make him by far the highest ranked instrumentalist to appear on the countdown so far. Or it would, if it wasn’t for the fact that his round also features my #2 ranked bassist.

I talk about this some in my Allman Brothers thread, but The Second Coming (not to be confused with the 1990’s grunge group) was a Southern Rock group popular in Florida in the late 1960’s. The group featured none other than Dickey Betts on guitar and Berry Oakley on bass (it also featured future Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble keyboardist Reese Wynans). As I discuss in the Allman thread, the huge group jam sessions these musicians participated in at the time really blurred the lines between what is Second Coming and what is early Allman Brothers Band. A famous 1969 show at Jacksonville Beach is considered by some to be the first ABB concert, while others consider it a Second Coming show with guest musicians. For my purposes, since it has been released on the Allman Brothers Band name and Duane played at the show, I classify it as Allman Brothers. You can listen to the entire show here, read the debate in the comments, and judge for yourself.

The last group also has a lot of "big names" that I suspect would be very high on some lists: Journey, Kansas, Styx, Smashing Pumpkins, Talking Heads. None are among my favorite bands but I totally get why others really like them.

Please keep the recommendations coming. I may not be able to keep up with them all, but that is one of the things that I am excited about with this project is that I will have the opportunity to discover even more great music.

Also, please feel free to call out any mistakes/typos/whatever. With all the stuff I am juggling I am sure there will be many of them and my OCD actually appreciates it.

Tie-516 (4 points)

Al Green

Oh! We might have to have words. Perhaps this is a different Al Green than the one I'm thinking of?

:lmao:

Also a little surprised to see The Smiths already, but I guess they're not everyone's cuppa. Or people didn't listen to them in college, @Dr. Octopus .

It's interesting that he is being described in your thread on the "one hit wonder" list since he actually has a lot of great songs. He is one that as I was putting together the list I thought to myself I really need to gather more of his music and add it to my library. The problem was that as I looked the list over again and again I could identify about 100 artists for which this was the case and I didn't want to delay starting the posts in order to revamp my library, only to realize there were another 100 artists I also wanted to explore more. At some point I just had to go with what I have.

It's interesting that he is being described in your thread on the "one hit wonder" list since he actually has a lot of great songs. He is one that as I was putting together the list I thought to myself I really need to gather more of his music and add it to my library. The problem was that as I looked the list over again and again I could identify about 100 artists for which this was the case and I didn't want to delay starting the posts in order to revamp my library, only to realize there were another 100 artists I also wanted to explore more. At some point I just had to go with what I have.

Well, it's been acknowledged many times in the thread that "one-hit wonder" doesn't aptly describe the leading artists for that designation. I think we started using that to be cheeky. :)

Completely understand not going back to explore and just getting this started!

Ok, that is all I am going to post for the countdown tonight. The first few rounds are a TON of artists and just trying to keep track of it all is a lot.

Tomorrow I will do at least 2-3 more rounds.

After that the number of artists per round decreases dramatically so it gets a lot easier to have more substantial conversations about each artist.

Oh, also, if you look closely, one of the first five rounds has a clue as to the "43 version" song.

I originally said that wasn't part of the charity contest, but now that I think about it, since it is for a good cause we might as well have fun and make that an official contest as well. Let's say I'll donate $50 to a charity for the first person who can guess that.

Those I'm most surprised to see here are Blondie, Genesis, Gladys Knight, and The Supremes. Not saying I'd have them terribly high either, but they seem to be beloved by many.

I bet I can guess the Dobie Gray and Don McLean songs! :lol:

Actually, Don McLean has two songs, both coming in at the two point range. "American Pie" is obviously amazingly brilliant in many ways, but I only enjoy it when I am in a certain mood. It could probably be higher, but I think I got annoyed at it once and bumped it down from a 4 to a 2.

The other Don McLean song is "And I Love You So." Again, not really my style and a little soft for me, but you should still check it out. It is an amazingly beautiful song.

Oh, also, if you look closely, one of the first five rounds has a clue as to the "43 version" song.
Phish’s version of Crosseyed and Painless?

Ugh, no. Not a Phish fan at all. Which is interesting, obviously, since I like jam bands. And individually I like all the members of the group. Trey is super talented and I liked that he was part of Fare Thee Well. Mike Barnes is probably one of my favorite bassists. For whatever reason I have just never liked any of Phish's original songs and that turned my off of them. Which probably isn't fair. I approached them from the standpoint of listening to some of their songs before seeing them live in concert, which is tough for a jam band. If it had been the other way, maybe I would feel differently. But sometimes it is hard to shake first impressions.

Ugh, no. Not a Phish fan at all. Which is interesting, obviously, since I like jam bands. And individually I like all the members of the group. Trey is super talented and I liked that he was part of Fare Thee Well. Mike Barnes is probably one of my favorite bassists. For whatever reason I have just never liked any of Phish's original songs and that turned my off of them. Which probably isn't fair. I approached them from the standpoint of listening to some of their songs before seeing them live in concert, which is tough for a jam band. If it had been the other way, maybe I would feel differently. But sometimes it is hard to shake first impressions.

The guy from Karate Kid?

The guy from Karate Kid?

Haha. Meant Mike Gordon obviously. Was listening to some Gov't Mule tracks as I was typing last night and there is a guitarist Mike Barnes (I don't think he is the Karate Kid guy, though) and both him and Mike Gordon were playing guest tracks with Mule. Like I said, I clearly am going to make many mistakes. Maybe I should take your advice and slow down.

Users who are viewing this thread