What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Latest FBG music countdown of >800 artists - #2 The Rolling Stones, #1 The Allman Brothers Band (2 Viewers)

T-300. Todd Rundgren (25 points)

Total number of songs: 8

Average song score: 2.875

# of 5-point songs: 0

# of 4-point songs: 2 (I Saw the Light; Come On in My Kitchen, live)

Top 50 track bonus: none

Personnel bonus: none

Recommended listening: Bang the Drum All Day, live; I Saw the Light; Hello It’s Me

I know there are a number of big Todd Rundgren fans on the board, so they may want to expand on this entry a bit. A lot of his more well-known stuff, including most of the entries I list above, is just a little too much on the pop side for me. It’s obviously great music and in the right mood I can really enjoy it, but it just wouldn’t be the first thing I would pick if I was choosing a song I really love to listen to. Since my tastes lean more toward the blues, I will praise him for some really good covers of some great blues songs like this.

Thanks for including Todd on your list - and what you included is what the majority of people think of when they think Todd Rundgren. Except of course of the wild selection from his Robert Johnson covers album - holy ****, hardly anyone knows about it!!! :lmao:

There is so much more to explore with him - there is a ton of very different music - overa 50 year period of time. I won't get into here, but if you're interested there are several of us that can help. :hifive:
He did a Robert Johnson covers album???????????

@turnjose7 if you like prog, he’s got some good stuff in that realm, including Utopia Theme and Initiation.

Do I hear a Todd Rundgren countdown in the works?

Thanks for including Todd on your list - and what you included is what the majority of people think of when they think Todd Rundgren. Except of course of the wild selection from his Robert Johnson covers album - holy ****, hardly anyone knows about it!!! :lmao:

There is so much more to explore with him - there is a ton of very different music - overa 50 year period of time. I won't get into here, but if you're interested there are several of us that can help. :hifive:

Again, I'd be up for a Todd Rundgren countdown or simply any recs you guys have.

In terms of the Robert Johnson covers, I'm a huge fan. "Come On in My Kitchen" is probably one of my favorite blues songs and I have many versions by many artists.

Again, I'd be up for a Todd Rundgren countdown or simply any recs you guys have.

In terms of the Robert Johnson covers, I'm a huge fan. "Come On in My Kitchen" is probably one of my favorite blues songs and I have many versions by many artists.

I think the way to go is to take it chronologically. No idea how old you are - you may not like some of the 60s stuff, or his Laura Nyro/Carole King type material from early on. It's fun to see the changes - and they are constant. It's sort of like the throwback scenes in "Spinal Tap" to see how they changed.

If you're interested - we'll go album by album. Let me know!

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Now that I've consumed my weight in Christmas Ale, time to get back to the countdown.

T-294. Alice Cooper (28 points)

Total number of songs: 12

Average song score: 2.33

# of 4-point songs: 2 (I’m Eighteen; No More Mr. Nice Guy)

Recommended listening: Billion Dollar Babies; I’m Eighteen; No More Mr. Nice Guy

I assume most know this, but just to be clear in case anyone doesn’t, Alice Cooper is both the stage name of Vincent Furnier (which he uses in his solo career) and the band he fronted in the late 1960’s/early 1970’s. This entry includes both. Most of Alice’s well-known songs are courtesy of the original band, though “Welcome to My Nightmare” is from Furnier’s solo career. I’m not a huge fan of glam, but I dig Alice Cooper (despite being forced to dance to “School’s Out” as part of a grade school musical when I was young).

T-294. The Avett Brothers (28 points)

Average song score: 2.33

# of 4-point songs: 2 (I and Love and You, live; The Boys Are Back in Town, live)

Recommended listening: Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise; I and Love and You, live

I know a lot of people who love the Avett Brothers. I definitely understand why. They produce some absolutely gorgeous vocal harmonies and at their best their music is really, really good. I find them to be a little inconsistent though, and some of the live performances that I’ve listened to I’ve found to be sort of mediocre, almost like their heart wasn’t in it. I haven’t personally seen them live, though (I was supposed to see them with Magpie Salute and Dark Side of the Mule a few years ago but had to cancel at the last minute – still disappointed about that), so maybe my assessment isn’t fair. If anyone has recommendations for finding good live performances from them, please share.

T-294. Lettuce (28 points)

Total number of songs: 9

Average song score: 2.67

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Kron Dutch, live; Nyack, live)

Recommended listening: Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, live; Nyack, live

If you want to check out a band that IS great live, look no further than Lettuce. A superbly talented jazz and funk band, their Live at Blue Note Tokyo album is one of my favorite live albums that I’ve bought in the last few years. But if want something really interesting, checkout their very respectable tribute to Miles Davis, Witches Stew.

With the 29-point round we have several entries in a row that are a return to having a larger number of artists bunched up. Since I have been expanding the commentaries, this may mean I will only get to one round per day for the next 3-4 days. After that, the artists separate out again so I'll be able to increase the pace. We are starting to get into some really good stuff, though, so I don't want to speed by these artists without giving them the attention they deserve.

T-289. Buck Owens (29 points)

Total number of songs: 19

Average song score: 1.58

# of 4-point songs: 0

Recommended listening: Act Naturally; Open Up Your Heart; Where Does the Good Times Go

One of the great country music pioneers, many probably know of Alvis Edgar Owens Jr., aka Buck Owens, because the Beatles covered his song, “Act Naturally” (and Ringo later recorded a duet version of the song with Buck). Or you might be aware of him from the Creedence Clearwater Revival lyric “A dinosaur Victrola, listening to Buck Owens” from “Lookin’ Out My Back Door.”

Owens was the originator of the “Bakersfield Sound” which was closer to rock than most country music, with its driving rhythms and strong backbeat. Buck’s partner Don Rich, with his twangy electric guitar and vocal harmonies, was also crucial in the development of the sound which helped Buck Owens land 21 songs at the top of the country music charts.

T-289. Dickey Betts (29 points)

Average song score: 2.08

Top 50 track bonus: 0

Recommended listening: Duane’s Tune; Long Time Gone; Loverman; Nancy

Most of the music Dickey Betts has made outside of the Allman Brothers falls under his band Great Southern (which is an outstanding band and will show up much later in the countdown). However, he also recorded music as Richard Betts and with The Dickey Betts Band. Stuff under Richard Betts, such as “Long Time Gone” has much more of a country feel. The Dickey Betts Band featured some great musicians including a young Warren Haynes, future Allman Brothers keyboardist Johnny Neel, and future Gov’t Mule drummer Matt Abst. Unfortunately, the latter had a little bit too much of an 80’s sound for me and never reached its full potential. Still, the album Pattern Disruptive does have some high points like the more rootsy sounding “Loverman” and Dickey’s tribute to a legend “Duane’s Tune.”

T-289. George Thorogood (29 points)

Total number of songs: 10

Average song score: 2.7

# of 5-point songs: 1 (One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Who Do You Love?)

Recommended listening: Bad to the Bone; Move It on Over; One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer

I’m sure almost everyone is familiar with George Thorogood. There are a couple of interesting things to note about some of his more famous covers. While most think of “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer” as a John Lee Hooker song, it was actually originally recorded by another artist I highlighted earlier in the countdown, Amos Milburn. While I like all three versions, Thorogood’s is a masterpiece. There are just so many great things I live about his phrasing and delivery: “That don’t confront me,” “I said, ‘but I’m tired’,” “I said ‘I know’.”

“Who Do You Love?” is certainly an iconic cover. Others have done great versions of this song, including Quicksilver Messenger Service and Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks (whose version I already posted earlier in the countdown), but in my mind the Thorogood version is the definitive one. Interestingly, while the cover versions all use the Bo Diddley-beat, the original by Bo Diddley does not.

T-289. The Meters (29 points)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Cissy Strut Medley, live; It’s No Use, live)

Recommended listening: Chicken Strut; Cissy Strut Medley, live; Look-Ka Py Py

Maybe a little less well-known than some of the other legends of funk, The Meters are nevertheless incredibly important in the development of that genre. Featuring New Orleans legends Art and Cyril Neville along with one of my all-time favorite bassists, George Porter Jr. (just missed making the top 20 of my bassist list), the Meters had an original sound that influenced more famous groups like Funkadelic. They performed with artists like Dr. John and Allen Toussaint, and there work has been covered by Jaco Pastorius, the Grateful Dead, and Widespread Panic.

T-289. Samantha Fish (29 points)

Average song score: 3.375

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Cowtown, live; Don’t Say You Love Me, live; I Put a Spell on You, live)

Recommended listening: Bulletproof; I Put a Spell on You, live

Since there is an entire thread on her, I won’t say a ton about Samantha Fish. I’ll just say that since we have talked about “I Put a Spell on You” with other artists, if you haven’t seen her perform the song, check it out. Right up there with Creedence for my favorite version.

T-282. Big Band of Brothers (30 points)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Hot’lanta; Les Brers in A Minor)

Recommended listening: Hot’lanta; Les Brers in A Minor; Stand Back

Most probably haven’t heard of them, but Big Band of Brothers is pretty much exactly what t sounds like, a jazz tribute to the Allman Brothers Band. And they are really good. They have some legit musicians perform with them (including Jack Pearson and Wycliffe Gordon), and their arrangements are outstanding. “Hot’lanta” and “Les Brers” were obvious choices for songs that would work well as jazz tracks, but some of the songs are surprising. Those who have read my Allman Brothers thread may recall that “Stand Back” is actually not among my favorite of the ABB’s better-known songs, but I really dig it with the big band jazz flavor.

T-282. Big Joe Turner (30 points)

Total number of songs: 22

Average song score: 1.81

Recommended listening: Baby, I Still Want You; Rock the Joint Boogie; Roll ‘em Pete

My namesake (not really), Big Joe Turner has been called the “Boss of the Blues.” He made influential recordings of a number of influential blues and early rock and roll songs like “Shake, Rattle, and Roll,” “Sweet Little Sixteen,” and “Corrina, Corrina.” He wrote the blues standard “Roll ‘em Pete,” as well as “Honey Hush,” the latter of which has been covered by, among others, Chuck Berry, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Elvis Costello.

T-282. Chet Atkins (30 points)

Total number of songs: 17

Average song score: 1.76

Recommended listening: Dill Pickle Rag; In the Mood; Yakety Axe

Maybe the most influential country guitarist of all-time, Chet Atkins is known as one of the pop-friendly pioneers of the Nashville sound. Depending on your affinity for pop music you may see that as a good or bad thing, but either way there is no denying his immense talent. While primarily known as a country musician he explored many other genres and you can hear clear jazz influences in his work.

T-282. Dio (30 points)

Average song score: 3.11

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Holy Diver; Rainbow in the Dark)

Recommended listening: Rainbow in the Dark; The Last in Line; We Rock

Vocalist Ronnie James Dio is one of the greatest of all metal singers. Some may argue that he is the best. He finishes #22 on my list of my favorite vocalists and therefore just misses the cutoff for a personnel bonus.

Unlike some other artists where I groups a bunch of their projects together, several of RJD’s bands – Black Sabbath, Dio, Elf, Heaven and Hell, and Rainbow – all have their own entries because I think of them as distinct entities. Unfortunately, that means the points get spread out and the ranking for a great artist is otherwise lower than it potentially could be.

T-282. Johnny Shines (30 points)

Total number of songs: 14

Average song score: 2.14

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Sitting on Top of the World)

Recommended listening: Delta Pine Blues; Ramblin’ Blues; Sitting on Top of the World

Johnny Shines is another artist that may not be as well known and that’s a real shame. Shines was an early pioneer in the delta blues, touring for two years with Robert Johnson. His failure to experience financial success led to him at one point giving up his music career. Decades later, he reconnected with some of the greats in the Chicago blues scene and his career experienced a resurgence. Among those he played with in addition to Johnson are Mississippi Fred McDowell, Big Walter Horton, and Willie Dixon. As a delta blues picker, he is one of my favorites.

T-282. Primus (30 points)

Total number of songs: 7

Average song score: 2.15

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Harold of the Rocks, live)

Personnel bonus: #8 bassist Les Claypool (partial bonus)

Recommended listening: Harold of the Rocks, live; Jerry Was a Racecar Driver; My Name is Mud

The previous top spot for weirdest artist on the list went to Dr. John. He is now easily knocked from that spot as I don’t think it is actually possible to be weirder than Primus. I don’t really even know how to describe their music, so I’m not going to try. I kind of like it – sometimes. In small doses I often think it is really interesting, but I can’t listen to their stuff for long periods.

With this entry, we have our first instance of a band getting a personnel bonus with Les Claypool coming in at #8 on my list of favorite bassists. Because the total number of Primus songs in my library was so small, I only awarded a fraction of his personnel bonus points (this is the discretion I mentioned earlier).

Interested to hear discussion on this one.

T-282. Waylon Jennings (30 points)

Total number of songs: 20

Average song score: 1.85

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Lukenbach, Texas [Back to the Basics of Love])

Recommended listening: Are You Ready for the Country; Lonesome, On’ry, and Mean; Lukenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)

When I first went through and looked at the rankings after running all the numbers in my spreadsheet, Waylon Jennings stood out as one of the artists that was most obviously mis-ranked. Several of his songs are rated lower than they should be (probably all three of the songs in my recommended listening for this entry could be level 4, for instance). I think I have a little bit of an anti-country bias that affected these rankings. Taking a quick look at the spreadsheet, Waylon could probably actually have around 40-50 points more than he does, which would put him closer to 200-230 in the rankings. Maybe after I finish posting the entire list I’ll go back and make adjustments and run the numbers again.

Anyway, Waylon is great. Outlaw country is probably my favorite subgenre of country music and Waylon does it as well as just about anyone. If you asked me to give my gut feeling ranking of favorite country artists, it would be between him and one other who has yet to appear on the list for the top spot.

Most probably haven’t heard of them, but Big Band of Brothers is pretty much exactly what t sounds like, a jazz tribute to the Allman Brothers Band. And they are really good. They have some legit musicians perform with them (including Jack Pearson and Wycliffe Gordon), and their arrangements are outstanding. “Hot’lanta” and “Les Brers” were obvious choices for songs that would work well as jazz tracks, but some of the songs are surprising. Those who have read my Allman Brothers thread may recall that “Stand Back” is actually not among my favorite of the ABB’s better-known songs, but I really dig it with the big band jazz flavor.

Recommended listening: Baby, I Still Want You; Rock the Joint Boogie; Roll ‘em Pete

My namesake (not really), Big Joe Turner has been called the “Boss of the Blues.” He made influential recordings of a number of influential blues and early rock and roll songs like “Shake, Rattle, and Roll,” “Sweet Little Sixteen,” and “Corrina, Corrina.” He wrote the blues standard “Roll ‘em Pete,” as well as “Honey Hush,” the latter of which has been covered by, among others, Chuck Berry, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Elvis Costello.

Maybe the most influential country guitarist of all-time, Chet Atkins is known as one of the pop-friendly pioneers of the Nashville sound. Depending on your affinity for pop music you may see that as a good or bad thing, but either way there is no denying his immense talent. While primarily known as a country musician he explored many other genres and you can hear clear jazz influences in his work.

T-282. Dio (30 points)

Vocalist Ronnie James Dio is one of the greatest of all metal singers. Some may argue that he is the best. He finishes #22 on my list of my favorite vocalists and therefore just misses the cutoff for a personnel bonus.

Unlike some other artists where I groups a bunch of their projects together, several of RJD’s bands – Black Sabbath, Dio, Elf, Heaven and Hell, and Rainbow – all have their own entries because I think of them as distinct entities. Unfortunately, that means the points get spread out and the ranking for a great artist is otherwise lower than it potentially could be.

Recommended listening: Delta Pine Blues; Ramblin’ Blues; Sitting on Top of the World

Johnny Shines is another artist that may not be as well known and that’s a real shame. Shines was an early pioneer in the delta blues, touring for two years with Robert Johnson. His failure to experience financial success led to him at one point giving up his music career. Decades later, he reconnected with some of the greats in the Chicago blues scene and his career experienced a resurgence. Among those he played with in addition to Johnson are Mississippi Fred McDowell, Big Walter Horton, and Willie Dixon. As a delta blues picker, he is one of my favorites.

Recommended listening: Harold of the Rocks, live; Jerry Was a Racecar Driver; My Name is Mud

The previous top spot for weirdest artist on the list went to Dr. John. He is now easily knocked from that spot as I don’t think it is actually possible to be weirder than Primus. I don’t really even know how to describe their music, so I’m not going to try. I kind of like it – sometimes. In small doses I often think it is really interesting, but I can’t listen to their stuff for long periods.

With this entry, we have our first instance of a band getting a personnel bonus with Les Claypool coming in at #8 on my list of favorite bassists. Because the total number of Primus songs in my library was so small, I only awarded a fraction of his personnel bonus points (this is the discretion I mentioned earlier).

Recommended listening: Are You Ready for the Country; Lonesome, On’ry, and Mean; Lukenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)

When I first went through and looked at the rankings after running all the numbers in my spreadsheet, Waylon Jennings stood out as one of the artists that was most obviously mis-ranked. Several of his songs are rated lower than they should be (probably all three of the songs in my recommended listening for this entry could be level 4, for instance). I think I have a little bit of an anti-country bias that affected these rankings. Taking a quick look at the spreadsheet, Waylon could probably actually have around 40-50 points more than he does, which would put him closer to 200-230 in the rankings. Maybe after I finish posting the entire list I’ll go back and make adjustments and run the numbers again.

Anyway, Waylon is great. Outlaw country is probably my favorite subgenre of country music and Waylon does it as well as just about anyone. If you asked me to give my gut feeling ranking of favorite country artists, it would be between him and one other who has yet to appear on the list for the top spot.

Big Primus fan, but yeah they can get pretty weird. Such a broad range

Check out a Primus and the Chocolate Factory for a nice twist on Willy Wonka

Les also does a nice cover of some Floyd stuff, Animals and Shine

Quick off the cuff top 5 Primus in no particular order

Southbound Pachyderm
John the Fisherman
My name is mud
Winona’s big brown beaver
Eclectic Electric

Big fan of the whole Antipop record

T-282. Dio (30 points)

Southbound Pachyderm
John the Fisherman
My name is mud
Eclectic Electric

Yes another project from Les will appear a little bit higher in the countdown

T-282. Dio (30 points)

Southbound Pachyderm
John the Fisherman
My name is mud
Eclectic Electric

Yes another project from Les will appear a little bit higher in the countdown
He’s a busy guy, as he should be.

Waylon too low. He's awesome. And I really like Primus. Saw them at the second Lollapalooza in Toronto and they kicked ***.

T-276. Art Tatum (31 points)

Total number of songs: 13

Average song score: 2.38

# of 4-point songs: 2 (How High the Moon, live; Tatum Pole Boogie)

Recommended listening: How High the Moon; Sophisticated Lady; Tatum Pole Boogie, live

Art Tatum would rank third on my list of the greatest jazz pianists ever, though I think you could certainly make an argument that he deserves to be higher. He was an absolute genius and equally adept at multiple styles of jazz. In the selections I listed here he does incredible version of a couple of jazz standards (“How High the Moon” will certainly be mentioned later in association with another artist) and a jaw-dropping original.

T-276. Chris Duarte Group (31 points)

Total number of songs: 11

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Shiloh)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Who Knows, live)

Recommended listening: Scrawl; Shiloh; Who Knows, live

Many years ago, I was a resident doing an ICU rotation that was busy enough that it wasn’t worth trying to sleep during overnight call, but not so busy that you didn’t have any downtime. While I probably should have spent that downtime studying, most of it was instead spent exploring internet videos for new blues and jam bands. That’s how I first became familiar with Joe Bonamassa. One of my other favorites that I discovered at that time is Chris Duarte.

His style is rooted in the Texas blues of guys like Stevie Ray Vaughan, and you can definitely here that in some of his instrumentals like the amazing “Shiloh.” Some think he is a little too derivative of SRV; I’ll address that criticism when we get to another guitarist later in the list. Regardless, I don’t think it is an entirely fair depiction of Chris, especially since he also has a lot of jazz and funk influences and has covered songs from bands like The Meters. Speaking of covers, “Who Knows” is a song that Hendrix did with Band of Gypsys. The recording linked to above is not the one I have in my library, which I unfortunately can’t find online. I like the one in my library a lot better, but both do the original justice.

T-276. The Eagles (31 points)

Average song score: 2.5

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Hotel California, live; Seven Bridges Road, live)

Recommended listening: Hotel California, live; Take It Easy; Wasted Time

The Eagles may be a polarizing entry though I’m not really sure why. I’ve never quite understood why people have such strong feelings for them one way or another. I certainly don’t think they are one of the all-time great rock bands, nor do I have The Dude’s disdain for them. They are a fine band that is generally pleasant to listen to with some solid tunes.

I will say that in general I don’t love their stuff that attempts to be a little more hard rock. Songs like “Life in the Fast Lane,” “Witchy Woman,” and even the celebrated guitar solo in the studio version of “Hotel California” bore the heck out of me (I do really like the Hell Freezes Over version of “Hotel California,” though). By contrast, most things they do that are a little softer, acoustic, or country-flavored, I generally find to be pretty appealing. “Wasted Time” is a good example and I think one of their best compositions, though I much prefer this cover version by a better singer.

T-276. Quicksilver Messenger Service (31 points)

Total number of songs: 6

Average song score: 3.83

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Acapulco Gold & Silver, live)

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Back Door Man, live; Mona, live; Who Do You Love?)

Recommended listening: Acapulco Gold & Silver; Mona; Pride of Man

Less successful than contemporaries like the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service was nevertheless incredibly important in the development of the psychedelic San Francisco sound of the mid-1960s. I mentioned their influential cover of “Who Do You Love?” in the George Thorogood entry. Maybe an even better cover of a Bo Diddley tune is their version of “Mona.” “Acapulco Gold & Silver” gives a great look at their jammy side.

T-276. Rage Against the Machine (31 points)

Total number of songs: 15

Average song score: 2.07

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Bulls on Parade, live; Killing in the Name; Killing in the Name, live)

Recommended listening: Bullet in the Head, live; Freedom; Killing in the Name

These guys were mentioned in the Audioslave entry. I’m not a big fan of rap rock and again, Tom Morello is far from one of my favorite guitarists. That being said, they do have some great riffs and if I’m looking for something to get the blood pumping, they certainly do the job.

T-276. Robert Plant and Alison Krauss (31 points)

Average song score: 2.38

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Polly Come Home)

Recommended listening: High and Lonesome; Please Read the Letter; Polly Come Home; Your Long Journey

Two artists who appear again much higher in the countdown, the collaboration between Robert Plant and Alison Krauss may not seem like most obvious pairing, but it works. Their albums have some of the greatest vocal work you will ever hear.

I mentioned in the Gene Clark entry that I think “Polly” is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I’ve ever heard. This is the second of three versions that will be highlighted in the countdown, and it’s a good one.

Like the Honeydrippers, I didn’t consider this either a big enough part of my library or a big enough part of Plant’s career to give any of the personnel bonus.

Last edited:
Big Joe Turner. What a fascinating artist. Where the jump blues met rock n' roll, there he was.

Primus is also pretty cool.

Probably won't get two artists too much further from one another in the vernacular of rock n' roll, at least musically. (I'm excluding jam and prog bands from that statement, because they aren't really rock n' roll. They generally forget the roll part.)

The Eagles may be a polarizing entry though I’m not really sure why. I’ve never quite understood why people have such strong feelings for them one way or another. I certainly don’t think they are one of the all-time great rock bands, nor do I have The Dude’s disdain for them. They are a fine band that is generally pleasant to listen to with some solid tunes.

I will say that in general I don’t love their stuff that attempts to be a little more hard rock. Songs like “Life in the Fast Lane,” “Witchy Woman,” and even the celebrated guitar solo in the studio version of “Hotel California” bore the heck out of me (I do really like the Hell Freezes Over version of “Hotel California,” though). By contrast, most things they do that are a little softer, acoustic, or country-flavored, I generally find to be pretty appealing. “Wasted Time” is a good example and I think one of their best compositions, though I much prefer this cover version by a better singer.
I think they were great early on and then got dull and full of themselves. The first two albums are basically CSNY with a more pronounced country influence. The middle two albums are less consistent but have enough high points. The final two albums from their original run are massively popular but I find most of their songs boring and/or insufferable despite the presence of Joe Walsh (who is much better in other contexts). I do like Hotel California (the song) because it sounds a bit like Steely Dan (by design).

This performance justifies Walsh's tenure in The Eagles, however.

T-273. Allen Toussaint (32 points)

Average song score: 2.29

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Bright Mississippi)

Recommended listening: A Blue Mood; Bright Mississippi; Rocks in My Bed; Viper’s Drag

One of America’s great song writers, he may be better known for songs he has written for others. Among those who have covered his songs are The Band, Warren Zevon, Three Dog Night, Little Feat, and the Rolling Stones. And, of course, Devo. Songs like “Viper Drag” demonstrate that he was also a really great piano player.

T-273. Edgar Winter (32 points)

Average song score: 2.73

# of 5-point songs: 1 (I’ve Got News for You)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Let’s Get It On)

Recommended listening: Frankenstein, live; I’ve Got News for You; Let’s Get It On

Quite different in style from brother Johnny (who does play guitar on “I’ve Got News for You”), Edgar also did some great stuff. His most well-known tunes are of course “Free Ride” and “Frankenstein.” I’m not a huge fan of the former. For the latter, I can’t take the crappy music-video synth-heavy version, but watching it live is awesome, keytar notwithstanding.

Edgar’s best stuff is with his White Trash group where an excellent ensemble of musicians, people like saxophonist Jon Smith, really take things to the next level.

T-273. SteelDrivers (32 points)

Average song score: 2.73

# of 4-point songs: 2 (If It Hadn’t Been for Love; If You Can’t Be Good, Be Gone)

Recommended listening: Brother John; Drinkin’ Dark Whiskey; If It Hadn’t Been for Love; If You Can’t Be Good, Be Gone

The third and final iteration of Chris Stapleton on our list is straight bluegrass. The SteelDrivers started in 2008 with Stapleton as the lead singer and primary song writer. He left the band after their second album, but they continued on as a very good bluegrass band. In fact, they won a Grammy for best bluegrass recording for their fourth album, The Muscle Shoals Recordings.

“If You Can’t Be Good, Be Gone” really shows their chops. Top to bottom, just a super talented band. By the way, that’s Jason Isbell playing slide guitar on “Brother John.”

T-267. Bob Seger (33 points)

Average song score: 2.82

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Roll Me Away)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Night Moves)

Recommended listening: Bo Diddley Medley, live; Hollywood Nights; Roll Me Away; You’ll Accomp’ny Me

I’m a little surprised Bob Seger doesn’t finish higher in my rankings because he has a lot of good songs. But I guess my feeling is that he doesn’t have a lot of great songs. The ones above are my favorite, and as I think about it more, “You’ll Accomp’ny Me” should probably be at the 4-level. But a lot of his more popular tunes, like “Turn the Page” or “Against the Wind” are just ok for me and I don’t really love.

T-267. Col. Les Claypool’s Fearless Flying Frog Brigade (33 points)

Average song score: 2.4

Recommended listening: Dogs; Shine on You Crazy Diamond; Thela Hun Ginjeet

As promised, we have another project from Les Claypool. This is also the first of two jam bands on the countdown in which the front man claims the military rank of colonel.

Like @Dan Lambskin mentioned, the FFFB does a lot of nice Pink Floyd covers, including the entire Animals album.

AS with Primus, this project gets a part of Les Claypool’s personnel bonus as #8 on my favorite bassists list. Their score is also supplemented by a nice jam bonus as half of their songs in my library break the 10-minute threshold.

At this point I should probably take a minute to mention Les Claypool’s greatest work, Electric Apricot: The Quest for Festeroo. It is basically Spinal Tap for jam bands. It was written and directed by Les, and he plays one of the main characters. It also features appearances by Warren Haynes, Matt Abst, Mike Gordon, Wavy Gravy, and Bob Weir among others. If you are a jam guy like me, this movie is hilarious.

T-267. Les Paul and Chet Atkins (33 points)

Average song score: 2.35

Recommended listening: Birth of the Blues; It’s Been a Long, Long Time; Moonglow/Picnic

We have back-to-back entries featuring someone named Les.

Earlier in his individual entry I discussed that while he is mainly known as a country artist, Chet Atkins also did a lot of great jazz work. One example of this is his collaborations with Les Paul. Most know Les Paul for his unparalleled contributions to the world of music as a luthier, but he was also a very fine jazz guitarist.

“It’s Been a Long, Long Time” is a jazz standard that some might know from the Harry James recording, which has been featured in a couple of movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (it is the song that Steve and Peggy dance to). It is a sentimental favorite since it is me and my wife’s song. Les and Chest do a beautiful version of it here.

T-267. The Five Piece Band (33 points)

Average song score: 2.75

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Dr. Jackle, live; Señor C.S., live)

Recommended listening: In a Silent Way/It’s About That Time, live; New Blues, Old Bruise, live; Señor C.S., live

The Five Piece band is a collaboration of two of the greatest jazz musicians ever, John McLaughlin and Chick Corea. They do a mix of Corea originals, McLaughlin songs from his other projects (I think he has done “New Blues, Old Bruise” with essentially every band he has been in), and other jazz standards.

I mentioned in the entry for John Scofield that I would call McLaughlin, Scofield, and Wes Montgomery the three greatest jazz guitarists of all-time. I shamefully left out another great one that I would actually rank#2; I will revisit that horrible oversight when I get to his entry. Anyway, McLaughlin is my favorite of any of them and ranks #19 overall among my favorite guitarists. A few of his projects will appear later in the countdown. The Five Piece Band is another example where I didn’t give the personnel points since it is such a small part of his career and my library. But he absolutely crushes it on “Señor C.S.”

T-267. Neil Young (33 points)

Average song score: 2.58

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Cortez the Killer, live; Hey Hey, My My; Rockin’ in the Free World)

Recommended listening: Cortez the Killer, live; The Loner/Cinnamon Girl/Down by the River, live

I might be breaking @Pip's Invitation's heart with this one. Neil’s obviously a great songwriter. In fact, he just missed getting a personnel bonus for that. Two things probably keep him from ranking higher in my countdown. First, when grouping and splicing the artists and assigning point values, a lot of points he potentially could have received were assigned to other artists. For example, while I posted it here because it’s all Neil, the medley I link above actually got assigned to CSN&Y (where it scores 5 points).

Second is the singing. In another of the recent music threads, probably Krista’s, there was a discussion of vocals by Tom Waits, Neil, and Bob Dylan. For me, Tom’s vocals are a significant detractor. I actually like Dylan’s. Neil is somewhere in the middle, but they certainly don’t help. As a result, many songs such as “Like a Hurricane” are a level lower than they might otherwise be. Even my favorite Neil songs, like “Cortez” tend to have covers that are ranked at a higher level.

T-267. Radiohead (33 points)

Average song score: 2.82

# of 5-point songs: 2 (Creep, Paranoid Android)

Recommended listening: Fake Plastic Trees; Lucky; Paranoid Android

The 33-point round has been long, and I am sure most are very familiar with Radiohead and could give better commentary than me, so I’m not going to say a whole lot about them. I do think “Paranoid Android” is an epic song. It also gives me the opportunity to insist that if you have not read it, you need to drop everything you are doing and immediately pick up The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

In my never-ending string of awesome covers by Warren Haynes, I will post this one that I really like.

love your list jose but if there are 266 artists better than Neil Young, I'll eat my hat

Haha. Fair enough.

I am sure this will be a controversial ranking for many, so maybe this is a good time to explain a little better way what this project is and isn't and what the goals of it are. The list is NOT a ranking of either my favorite artists or who I think the best artists are. While I did try to shape it through some of the score adjustments and bonuses to more closely align with how I would rank the artists, at its core the project is actually more of a ranking of the tracks that I currently have in my library.

I look at it as more of a critical appraisal of my music library so that I can hopefully learn about holes that I have and discover new music (and by posting it hopefully allow others to discover stuff as well). In that it has been very successful so far to me. I already have a solid list of new music I intend to purchase and add to the library based on others' recommendations.

The act of posting the project is also a critique of the project's methodology itself, so that if I do it again in the future, the library project will more accurately reflect how I would actually rank my favorite artists.

So one of my intentions as I continue to go through the list is to point out times when the list varies considerably from how I would actually rank the artists based on my gut feeling. Waylon Jennings was the first big example of this. Neil Young is the second.

In terms of how the methodology affected this ranking, the two factors that I mentioned I think really did influence his score. These are certainly flaws in the methodology that I would tweak if I did it again. The assignment of points to specific artists (as in the CSN+Y example I mentioned) was challenging throughout and maybe I can revisit how I do that in the future. This also affected Neil as I assigned a couple of tracks from The Last Waltz to The Band rather than to Neil. I think that was just straight up an error on my part as in similar situations I gave the points to the artist playing with The Band rather than to The Band as a group (this will come up with Van Morrison, for example).

The comparison of different tracks from the same song is also challenging. If I stack Gov't Mule's "Cortez" next to Neil's "Cortez" I am going to like the Mule version better and therefore feel obligated to rank the Mule version at a higher level (or maybe more accurately I should say I feel compelled to rank the Neil version at a lower level). If the Mule version never existed, the Neil version would probably be a level 5. This affected a lot of Neil's songs. It also affected a lot of the rankings of some of the blues greats who were amazing and put out some of the greatest music ever written, but had Zeppelin or someone come and do a better version. I never figured out a good way to capture the value of being the "original" in the rankings. The songwriter bonus was a small attempt to do that but was not significant enough to really be impactful.

Lastly, in terms of Neil himself as an artist, my gut ranking would be significantly higher, BUT probably not as high as many people would have him. He would probably be somewhere in the 100 range for me and I am guessing many people would have him much higher than that. Actually a lot of his "radio songs," stuff like "Heart of Gold," "Needle and the Damage Done," "Old Man," etc. I am not a huge fan of. It probably shouldn't surprise anyone, but I prefer long jammy Neil, stuff like "Cortez" or a really good live version of "Southern Man." So if you have some recommendations for tracks like that which are maybe not as well-known, please post them.

Also, while I am talking about multiple versions of the same song, it reminds me that I don't think anyone ever correctly guessed which song I have 43 versions of (trying to sort all of those into different levels was a project in and of itself). Unless someone posted it and I missed it, which is totally possible.

Here is what I think we have established about the song and my preferences so far:
- the 43 versions are among 5 artists (though I will say most of the versions are from a single artist)
- one of the artists was named in the 4-point level (none of the others have been named yet, but one is coming up probably around Monday or Tuesday); I can't remember if I explicitly said it or not, but as another hint, this was the original version
- I like blues
- I like jam bands
- it is not "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"
- it is not a Phish song

love your list jose but if there are 266 artists better than Neil Young, I'll eat my hat

It probably shouldn't surprise anyone, but I prefer long jammy Neil, stuff like "Cortez" or a really good live version of "Southern Man." So if you have some recommendations for tracks like that which are maybe not as well-known, please post them.
Change Your Mind -- a 15-minute song from the 1994 album Sleeps With Angels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45qX1VYONds
Live version from 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tus5-RhDWrg

Love to Burn -- a 10-minute song from the 1990 album Ragged Glory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TliEfAU-U9k
Live version from 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-LeFGIUVts

Love and Only Love -- another 10-minute song from Ragged Glory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noo4R9bJLvA
Live version from 1991: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYuutwqOBK4

Ramada Inn -- a 16-minute song from the 2012 album Psychedelic Pill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bi64Y55LEU
Live version from 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfI3AehnirQ

Windward Passage, an instrumental he performed with his short-lived bar band The Ducks in 1977. This is the only known recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqYmbOwFgiM

Pushed It Over the End, a song he performed on the 1974 CSNY reunion tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRnUKj8QYA

Also from that tour was a blistering version of On the Beach (title track of Neil's 1974 solo album), with some killer blues guitar by Stephen Stills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiRWOyzelcQ

All of those are not classic-rock radio staples but are in my top 101 Neil songs. A few suggestions regarding the more famous songs:

If you haven't heard the archival release Crazy Horse Live at the Fillmore 1970, those versions of Down by the River and Cowgirl in the Sand are must-hear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwQyX_osSLY&list=PLtJbkvDVY-mw5CVED3ZyzpK7fxBaXuhJ7

I know you're not into Phish, but the version of Down by the River that Neil played with them at Farm Aid 1998 is spectacular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUuaMWxUcKY

I have yet to hear a live Cortez that topped the one he played at the first show of his I attended, 2/5/91 in Philadelphia. That can't be found anywhere except on a few poor-sounding audio cassettes. But these versions are really good:

1976 with Crazy Horse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yQ4z9TKIo
1995 with Pearl Jam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aotn2GFMJeo
2001 with Crazy Horse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_rKwI-spz4
The last show of his I attended, 2015 in Philadelphia with Promise of the Real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ntt9j99VY

For example, while I posted it here because it’s all Neil, the medley I link above actually got assigned to CSN&Y (where it scores 5 points).
All the songs in the medley are Young’s solo songs, it’s just him and an acoustic guitar on that performance - it’s on Four Way Street a CSN&Y live album, but it doesn’t really seem fair to penalize Neil for also being in other great bands.

For example, while I posted it here because it’s all Neil, the medley I link above actually got assigned to CSN&Y (where it scores 5 points).
All the songs in the medley are Young’s solo songs, it’s just him and an acoustic guitar on that performance - it’s on Four Way Street a CSN&Y live album, but it doesn’t really seem fair to penalize Neil for also being in other great bands.
'
Yeah I know that's why I said it probably is something I need to change in the methodology. Since it comes from a CSN&Y album that is the way it is named and sorted in my library and I didn't establish good rules before compiling the list for when I would or wouldn't shift point assignments like that.

It probably shouldn't surprise anyone, but I prefer long jammy Neil, stuff like "Cortez" or a really good live version of "Southern Man." So if you have some recommendations for tracks like that which are maybe not as well-known, please post them.
Change Your Mind -- a 15-minute song from the 1994 album Sleeps With Angels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45qX1VYONds

Love to Burn -- a 10-minute song from the 1990 album Ragged Glory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TliEfAU-U9k

Love and Only Love -- another 10-minute song from Ragged Glory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noo4R9bJLvA

Ramada Inn -- a 16-minute song from the 2012 album Psychedelic Pill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bi64Y55LEU

Windward Passage, an instrumental he performed with his short-lived bar band The Ducks in 1977. This is the only known recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqYmbOwFgiM

Pushed It Over the End, a song he performed on the 1974 CSNY reunion tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRnUKj8QYA

Also from that tour was a blistering version of On the Beach (title track of Neil's 1974 solo album), with some killer blues guitar by Stephen Stills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiRWOyzelcQ

All of those are not classic-rock radio staples but are in my top 101 Neil songs. A few suggestions regarding the more famous songs:

If you haven't heard the archival release Crazy Horse Live at the Fillmore 1970, those versions of Down by the River and Cowgirl in the Sand are must-hear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwQyX_osSLY&list=PLtJbkvDVY-mw5CVED3ZyzpK7fxBaXuhJ7

I know you're not into Phish, but the version of Down by the River that Neil played with them at Farm Aid 1998 is spectacular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUuaMWxUcKY

I have yet to hear a live Cortez that topped the one he played at the first show of his I attended, 2/5/91 in Philadelphia. That can't be found anywhere except on a few poor-sounding audio cassettes. But these versions are really good:

The last show of his I attended, 2015 in Philadelphia with Promise of the Real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ntt9j99VY

Awesome, thanks! Excited to listen to all of these, though will probably have to wait until a day when the college football playoffs aren't happening.

T-264. Count Basie (34 points)

Total number of songs: 16

Average song score: 2.13

Recommended listening: Baby, Don’t Tell on Me; Nobody Knows; Oh, Lady Be Good

Count Basie is one of the best jazz pianists who ever lived, but his more important contribution was as a band leader. The Count Basie Orchestra was one of the most important groups of the Big Band era and is still performing today (which will get a separate entry on the countdown for recordings done without Basie himself).

T-264. Yngwie Malmsteen (34 points)

Average song score: 3.0

# of 5-point songs: 2 (Black Star; Far Beyond the Sun)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Black Star, live)

Recommended listening: Arpeggios from Hell; Black Star; Guitar Solo (Trilogy Suite Op. 5: Spasebo Blues)

Of all the ultra-shredder G3 tour-type guitarists, Yngwie is my favorite. He is up there alongside the most technically-proficient guitarists ever, but I also think he plays with more feeling than a guy like Michael Angelo Batio or similar blazing guitarists. You can really hear this in the bluesy middle section of “Guitar Solo” where he legitimately puts down some licks eerily similar to “Red House” (he claims Hendrix wasn’t an influence). I also think he does a much better job incorporating his classical training on songs like “Black Star” than some of the other shredders. It seems like he is an epic jerk, but there is no denying his amazing talent.

T-264. Yonder Mountain String Band (34 points)

# of 5-point songs: 1(Shakedown Street, live)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Peace of Mind/Follow Me Down to the Riverside live; Untitled Track, live)

Recommended listening: Follow Me Down to the Riverside, live; Half Moon Rising; Shakedown Street, live

One of several bluegrass jam bands that will appear on the list, Yonder Mountain String Band has a number of great influences as has recorded a lot of interesting stuff. I always love when they do a Dead cover. They do a nice version of “Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo,” but my favorite is when they take on “Shakedown Street.” They also do a nice cover of the Beatles’ “Think For Yourself.” And, of course, they do plenty of extended jams, which earned them some bonus points.

Awesome, thanks! Excited to listen to all of these, though will probably have to wait until a day when the college football playoffs aren't happening.
A few more things I thought of/came across:

A Youtube rabbit hole revealed to me this incredible version of Cowgirl in the Sand from 2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBleCTFmoNQ

Ordinary People, an 18-minute song from Chrome Dreams II (2007) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaF_LBOzqKo&feature=youtu.be
Live version from 1988 -- yes, it took him almost 20 years to release a studio version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o4UGJTCr4Y

No Hidden Path, a 14-minute song from Chrome Dreams II https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MfMhruMTo
Live version from 2008 (27 minutes!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fZ1yigpTRA

The Zuma album produced a second guitar epic beyond Cortez the Killer. Danger Bird is almost as great. Live version from the 1997 Year of the Horse soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZee4bKXKf8

Last edited:
Updates will probably be a little less frequent and a little shorter over the next few days since my work schedule is pretty rough. Will get better at the end of the week.

T-260. Galactic (35 points)

Average song score: 2.54

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Baker’s Dozen, live; Blue Pepper, live; Crazyhorse Mongoose, live; Shibuya, live)

Recommended listening: Baker’s Dozen, live; Crazyhorse Mongoose, live; Into the Deep

A fixture at New Orleans’ legendary Tipitina’s venue, Galactic is a funk band continuing the tradition of groups like the Meters. But their influences are quite diverse, and they incorporate elements from and perform with musicians from a wide range of genres. Their studio albums are pretty interesting and feature a lot of experimentation, but they are best known for their outstanding live performances, often featuring a string of amazing guests.

T-260. Grand Funk Railroad (35 points)

Average song score: 3.22

# of 5-point songs: 1 (In Need, live)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Heartbreaker, live)

Recommended listening: Foot Stompin’ Music, live; I’m Your Captain/Closer to Home; In Need, live; Paranoid, live

There are certainly better artists that have appeared on the countdown so far, but Grand Funk is just fun. I mean if the competent drum work of Don Brewer is good enough for Homer Simpson, it’s good enough for me.

T-260. Johnny Cash (35 points)

Average song score: 2.25

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Folsom Prison Blues, live)

Recommended listening: Folsom Prison Blues, live; Hurt; I Walk the Line

Considered by many to be the greatest of the outlaw country musicians. He’s the highest ranked on my countdown, though like I mentioned earlier my gut feeling ranking would probably put Waylon just a touch above him. In addition to his great original material, he also has some really interesting covers. Most are familiar with “Hurt,” but one of my favorites is his version of the Leonard Cohen classic “Bird on a Wire.”

T-260. Traffic (35 points)

Average song score: 3.57

# of 5-point songs: 2 (Dear Mr. Fantasy; Light Up or Leave Me Alone, live)

# of 4-point songs: 1 ([Sometimes I Feel So] Uninspired, live)

Recommended listening: Light Up or Leave Me Alone, live; The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys; Rock and Roll Stew

I am not the biggest fan of Steve Winwood’s vocals. That, along with their relatively brief career, prevents Traffic from being higher on the countdown. Their music is incredibly interesting, however. They had a lot of great songs and legit jam credentials. I really wish we had more material with Winwood and Mason together because when they were on, they were excellent.

Updates will probably be a little less frequent and a little shorter over the next few days since my work schedule is pretty rough. Will get better at the end of the week.

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Baker’s Dozen, live; Blue Pepper, live; Crazyhorse Mongoose, live; Shibuya, live)

Recommended listening: Baker’s Dozen, live; Crazyhorse Mongoose, live; Into the Deep

A fixture at New Orleans’ legendary Tipitina’s venue, Galactic is a funk band continuing the tradition of groups like the Meters. But their influences are quite diverse, and they incorporate elements from and perform with musicians from a wide range of genres. Their studio albums are pretty interesting and feature a lot of experimentation, but they are best known for their outstanding live performances, often featuring a string of amazing guests.

Recommended listening: Foot Stompin’ Music, live; I’m Your Captain/Closer to Home; In Need, live; Paranoid, live

There are certainly better artists that have appeared on the countdown so far, but Grand Funk is just fun. I mean if the competent drum work of Don Brewer is good enough for Homer Simpson, it’s good enough for me.

Considered by many to be the greatest of the outlaw country musicians. He’s the highest ranked on my countdown, though like I mentioned earlier my gut feeling ranking would probably put Waylon just a touch above him. In addition to his great original material, he also has some really interesting covers. Most are familiar with “Hurt,” but one of my favorites is his version of the Leonard Cohen classic “Bird on a Wire.”

Recommended listening: Light Up or Leave Me Alone, live; The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys; Rock and Roll Stew

I am not the biggest fan of Steve Winwood’s vocals. That, along with their relatively brief career, prevents Traffic from being higher on the countdown. Their music is incredibly interesting, however. They had a lot of great songs and legit jam credentials. I really wish we had more material with Winwood and Mason together because when they were on, they were excellent.

I like Low Spark

This is a fun rack of artists for me.

Galactic is like if Allen Toussaint and Return To Forever had a baby.

I hate genre labels, but recognize why we use them. John Cash is his own genre. I think rappers listen to him more nowadays than folks who like Fla/Ga Line.

Traffic is tough for me to rate. I like their earlier stuff when they were trying to make actual records, than the later music when Winwood was trying to cross CSN&Y with Miles Davis. Has "Low Spark..." actually ever ENDED? It just drones on and on and on. First two LPs are terrific, though.

Nobody needs me to say anything more about GFR. Glad to see them this high on your list.

Good callout here. The studio version and most of the rest of the album it comes from, Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory, are kind of dull, but the live version from On the Road is transcendent, especially Winwood's guitar work.

I'm also a big fan of Graveyard People, which is creepily funky in a way that's quite different from their other material.

T-255. Bruce Springsteen (36 points)

Average song score: 2.83

# of 5-point songs: 2 (Atlantic City; Born to Run)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Born to Run, live)

Recommended listening: Atlantic City; Detroit Medley, live; The Promised Land, live; The River

Bruce is another artist that obviously a lot of people really, really love and for me is just aight. I have nothing against him. He has a number of really good songs. But he only has a handful of songs that I really get excited about listening to. Maybe the lyrical content doesn’t resonate with me like it does with some others? Not sure. But if we have any big Springsteen fans here, please feel free to let me know why I have him ranked too low.

T-255. Cannon’s Jug Stompers (36 points)

Total number of songs: 26

Average song score: 1.97

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Viola Lee Blues)

Recommended listening: Minglewood Blues; Noah’s Blues; Viola Lee Blues; Walk Right In

We finally have some good old American jug band music!

I know I said have to make the entries over the next few days a little shorter, but this one probably requires more explanation. I briefly touched on skiffle earlier in the countdown. Jug band music is closely related. Basically, both skiffle and jug band music are folk genres that take elements of blues, bluegrass, and jazz and blend them together while incorporating non-traditional or improvised instruments (things like a washboard or shoe-box guitar). The main difference is that jug band music technically is supposed to incorporate a jug as one of the instruments.

Their histories also diverge. Both originated in the American south, but while jug band music mostly stayed there, skiffle spread to and became most popular in Great Britain. A revival of the skiffle music was famously part of the early careers of a couple of guys named John Lennon and Paul McCartney, so it became somewhat more well-known. Jug band music remained a little more obscure.

In the early 1960’s, however, jug band music did have a tremendous influence on one young musician named Jerome John Garcia, and one of the first bands he formed with Bob Weir and “Pigpen” McKernan was called Mother McCree's Uptown Jug Champions. Interestingly, the band that would become the Velvet Underground was using a similar name, so after a brief stint as The Warlocks they settled on the name The Grateful Dead.

The group led by banjoist Gus Cannon is one of two really influential and important of the early jug bands. Their most famous song, written by Cannon, is “Walk Right In.” I’m guessing pretty much everyone has heard the song but few probably new it was written by a 1920’s blues musician. The Grateful Dead did versions of the Jug Stompers’ “Big Railroad Blues.” The Stompers also recorded “Minglewood Blues” which influenced a track subsequently recorded by their harmonica player, Noah Lewis, as “New Minglewood Blues.” The latter would become one of the most frequently played songs by the Dead. Most important, however, was the song “Viola Lee Blues.” This tune became one of the earliest songs around which the Dead built their extensive jams.

Sorry if that’s a lot for a relatively obscure band that last recorded almost 100 years ago, but as a jam band guy, I think it’s warranted. In some ways these guys are the roots of jam music in the same way Robert Johnson is at the roots of blues rock.

T-255. Jerry Garcia and David Grisman (36 points)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Rockin’ Chair; The Thrill is Gone)

Recommended listening: Dawg’s Waltz; Grateful Dawg; Rockin’ Chair, live

Speaking of Jerry Garcia playing roots music, one of his most important collaborations outside of the Dead was his work with mandolinist David Grisman. Grisman refers to his music as “Dawg music,” but it’s essentially jazz-influenced bluegrass that isn’t all that dissimilar from jug band music. In fact, Grisman played in an early band called the Even Dozen Jug Band (alongside future Lovin’ Spoonful front man John Sebastian).

Early in their careers Garcia and Grisman played together in a bluegrass band called Old & In the Way (which I suspect is the origin of the line in Warren Haynes’ tribute to Garcia, “Patchwork Quilt” – “we all felt old and in the way”). Bluegrass fiddle legend Vassar Clements was also part of that band.

Over the years, Garcia and Grisman frequently played together in multiple projects, recording a lot of great bluegrass, folk, and jazz music. They even got into blues and did a really cool interpretation of B.B. King’s “The Thrill Is Gone.”

T-255. Joan Baez (36 points)

Total number of songs: 18

Average song score: 2.0

Recommended listening: Diamonds and Rust; Prison Trilogy (Billy Rose); Simple Twist of Fate

I think I previously mentioned that folk singer-songwriter stuff isn’t really my thing, and unless you are a Bob Dylan-level songwriter, it’s going to be difficult making it really high on my list coming from that style (and obviously no one is a Bob Dylan-level songwriter except Bob Dylan). Still, among those types of musicians Joan Baez is one of the best.

T-255. Trombone Shorty (36 points)

Average song score: 2.5

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Where Y’At)

Recommended listening: Hurricane Season, live; Tripped Out Slim; Where Y’at

Another great New Orleans jazz and funk musician, Trombone Shorty is probably one of the artists on the list that I have started listening to most recently. I absolutely love what I have heard so far, and it is likely that as I continue to explore his stuff, he will vault up the list.

Bruce is another artist that obviously a lot of people really, really love and for me is just aight. I have nothing against him. He has a number of really good songs. But he only has a handful of songs that I really get excited about listening to. Maybe the lyrical content doesn’t resonate with me like it does with some others? Not sure. But if we have any big Springsteen fans here, please feel free to let me know why I have him ranked too low.
I'm not really into Springsteen either, but interestingly, I also think very highly of Atlantic City. I think it's his best song by a wide margin.

T-250. The Byrds (37 points)

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Black Mountain Rag/Soldier’s Joy, live; Eight Miles High; Mr. Tambourine Man; Nashville West, live)

Recommended listening: Black Mountain Rag/Soldier’s Joy, live; Sing Me Back Home, live; Turn, Turn, Turn Medley, live

The Byrds are another artist that I think are ranked way too low on this countdown. I really like a lot of their stuff, and I always think to myself I really need to expand their representation in my library. For whatever reason, I just never get around to it and therefore the total volume of tracks leads to them being ranked lower than they should be.

Tons of talent in the band’s various lineups. I think the importance of Roger McGuinn’s guitar playing was fleshed out in @krista4 's Beatles thread. I already talked about Gene Clark a little bit earlier in the countdown. Work by two other members of the band is still to come.

With the recommended selections for this entry. I tried to capture a little bit of the range of the group, touching on folk, country, psychedelia, and even some bluegrass. I know we have some big fans on the board, though, so maybe others will post additional recommendations.

T-250. Cab Calloway (37 points)

Total number of songs: 28

Average song score: 1.89

Recommended listening: Calloway Boogie; The Jumpin’ Jive; Minnie the Moocher

I was happy to see “Minnie the Moocher” get some love in Krista’s American artist countdown. Hopefully people are either already familiar with or check out some of Calloway’s other stuff. His scat singing is so impressive and interesting, but I’m also super impressed by the talent of all the other musicians around him in his band.

Since this is a football board, I’ll admit that I first learned who Calloway was when I was a little kid and heard Chris Berman do his Chris Calloway nickname on NFL Primetime.

T-250. Dave Matthews Band (37 points)

Average song score: 2.36

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Ants Marching, live)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (What Would You Say)

Recommended listening: Crush; Louisiana Bayou, live; Two Step, live

I’m less of a Dave Matthews fan than many people. Not a fan of his voice at all. That definitely limits my enjoyment of his stuff. Still, he does have a great band and they can really jam, so I get why people love them.

I like that version of “Louisiana Bayou” with Robert Randolph joining the band. More from Randolph later in the countdown.

Side note, a friend of mine once opened for long-time DMB collaborator Tim Reynolds, so that’s cool.

T-250. Frank Sinatra (37 points)

Total number of songs: 25

Average song score: 1.5

Recommended listening: Fly Me to the Moon; I’ve Got the World on a String; My Way

Sinatra is probably as close to completely pop music as can be found in my library. I guess some of his songs and the composition of his backing bands have ties to jazz, but this is about the furthest from having roots in country, folk, blues, or rock as my list gets (among stuff included in the countdown – as I mentioned, I have quite a bit of classical music but did not include that in this project).

It's certainly fine music, just very different from most of the stuff that I listen to on a regular basis.

T-250. Three Dog Night (37 points)

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Chest Fever, live; Heaven is in Your Mind, live; Never Been to Spain)

Recommended listening: Eli’s Coming; Never Been to Spain; Try a Little Tenderness, live

If I remember correctly, I think @timschochet might be a big Three Dog Night fan. At least that’s my impression anyway. If I were doing my gut rankings, they would probably be ranked a little lower since the vast majority of their major songs are covers (“Joy to the World” and “Never Been to Spain – Hoyt Axton; “Eli’s Coming” – Laura Nyro; “Mama Told Me Not to Come” – Randy Newman/Eric Burden; etc.). That being said, the Three Dog Night versions of these songs tend to add a lot and are very well done, hence the fairly high average ranking on my list.

T-250. The Byrds (37 points)

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Black Mountain Rag/Soldier’s Joy, live; Eight Miles High; Mr. Tambourine Man; Nashville West, live)

Recommended listening: Black Mountain Rag/Soldier’s Joy, live; Sing Me Back Home, live; Turn, Turn, Turn Medley, live

The Byrds are another artist that I think are ranked way too low on this countdown. I really like a lot of their stuff, and I always think to myself I really need to expand their representation in my library. For whatever reason, I just never get around to it and therefore the total volume of tracks leads to them being ranked lower than they should be.

Tons of talent in the band’s various lineups. I think the importance of Roger McGuinn’s guitar playing was fleshed out in @krista4 's Beatles thread. I already talked about Gene Clark a little bit earlier in the countdown. Work by two other members of the band is still to come.

With the recommended selections for this entry. I tried to capture a little bit of the range of the group, touching on folk, country, psychedelia, and even some bluegrass. I know we have some big fans on the board, though, so maybe others will post additional recommendations.
They were so different in their different incarnations, but it was all real good stuff (except the 1973 reunion album of the original lineup -- that was dull as dishwater). Their peak for me is the concert versions of Eight Miles High by the McGuinn/White/Battin/Gene Parsons lineup. Some of the best psychedelic jamming there ever was.

They covered The Band and Traffic??????????????

The three singers of Three Dog Night weren't songwriters. They showed good taste by covering some of the best contemporary songwriters. Rod Stewart had a similar career.
Indeed, they covered Neil Young's The Loner -- it was actually released before Neil's own version.

Looks like it's on their first album, which also has Chest Fever and Heaven Is In Your Mind.

They covered The Band and Traffic??????????????

The three singers of Three Dog Night weren't songwriters. They showed good taste by covering some of the best contemporary songwriters. Rod Stewart had a similar career.
The biggest difference between the two was that Rod had some hip cachet (at least up until 1976 or so) and TDN had zip. Critics despised them.

But they were a hell of a band and made a ton of good records. They were thought of as a singles band, but their studio albums were really good (so was their live album). TDN covered a ton of stylistic bases and did them all well.

Was Lou Adler in charge of A&R for them? Whoever it was, that person deserves to be in several HOFs. They made a bunch of songwriters a lot of money, too.

Also, while I am talking about multiple versions of the same song, it reminds me that I don't think anyone ever correctly guessed which song I have 43 versions of (trying to sort all of those into different levels was a project in and of itself). Unless someone posted it and I missed it, which is totally possible.

Here is what I think we have established about the song and my preferences so far:
- the 43 versions are among 5 artists (though I will say most of the versions are from a single artist)
- one of the artists was named in the 4-point level (none of the others have been named yet, but one is coming up probably around Monday or Tuesday); I can't remember if I explicitly said it or not, but as another hint, this was the original version
- I like blues
- I like jam bands
- it is not "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed"
- it is not a Phish song

Sorry for the delay in the next entry. Work has been crazy and the next entry also has a larger number of artists (and some good ones). I should be able to get it out tomorrow evening.

In the meantime, any last guesses on this? Tomorrow's entry will almost by necessity give away the answer so just wanted to give anyone else a chance to respond if you want.

Rod is a songwriter, though. He wrote and co-wrote many songs, especially his solo 70s hits. Some examples of songs he wrote are Tonight's the Night, You're In My Heart, The Killing of Georgie, and Mandolin Wind, and some examples of songs he co-wrote are Maggie May, Every Picture Tells a Story, Stay With Me, Cindy Incidentally, You Wear it Well, I Was Only Joking, Hot Legs, Forever Young, Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, Tonight I'm Yours, Young Turks, Passion, Infatuation, etc. Some of his Faces material he sang on was written by others, and of course his interpretations of the American Songbook are covers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread