What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Latest FBG music countdown of >800 artists - #2 The Rolling Stones, #1 The Allman Brothers Band (1 Viewer)

The three singers of Three Dog Night weren't songwriters. They showed good taste by covering some of the best contemporary songwriters. Rod Stewart had a similar career.
Rod is a songwriter, though. He wrote and co-wrote many songs, especially his solo 70s hits. Some examples of songs he wrote are Tonight's the Night, You're In My Heart, The Killing of Georgie, and Mandolin Wind, and some examples of songs he co-wrote are Maggie May, Every Picture Tells a Story, Stay With Me, Cindy Incidentally, You Wear it Well, I Was Only Joking, Hot Legs, Forever Young, Do Ya Think I'm Sexy, Tonight I'm Yours, Young Turks, Passion, Infatuation, etc. However, most of his Faces material he sang on was written by others, and of course his interpretations of the American Songbook are covers.

He also co-wrote the best song he has ever performed on.

The long-awaited 38-point round will have to be divided into two posts. Sorry again for the delay. This is such a good round, I didn't want to rush it (looking back over the entries, I really think just about every artist in this round should be rated higher. Except maybe Bowie).

T-242. Anders Osborne (38 points)

Total number of songs: 10

Average song score: 3.2

# of 5-point songs: 0

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Louisiana Rain, live; Oh Mama, live; Pleasin’ You, live; Trippin’ in Montana, live)

Top 50 track bonus: none

Personnel bonus: none

Recommended listening: Louisiana Rain, live; Pleasin’ You; Trippin’ in Montana, live

Like Trombone Shorty, Anders Osborne is one of the newer artists I have added to my library and one that will probably move up a fair amount in the rankings as I add more of his stuff. He’s played with a lot of great artists including the Tedeschi Trucks Band, North Mississippi Allstars, Toots and the Maytals, and Galactic. Plus, any artist that has a tuba player stomping around the stage during live performances is by definition amazing.

T-242. David Bowie (38 points)

Total number of songs: 20

Average song score: 1.95

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Rebel Rebel; The Jean Genie; The Man Who Sold the World)

Recommended listening: The Jean Genie; Suffragette City; Ziggy Stardust

Obviously, a lot of people are really big Bowie fans. I think I previously mentioned I’m not a very big glam rock fan. Actually, my favorite Bowie song would be “Under Pressure,” but that gets categorized as Queen. “The Man Who Sold the World” is very good, but I slightly prefer the Nirvana version.

T-242. Donovan (38 points)

Total number of songs: 16

Average song score: 2.38

# of 4-point songs: 0

Recommended listening: Hurdy Gurdy Man; Sunshine Superman; Young Girl Blues, live

The master of psychedelic folk. In addition to having multiple hit songs, Donovan is also remembered for his association with other major British acts of the era, famously having taught John Lennon a finger-picking style used on songs like “Dear Prudence” and playing with Jeff Beck and members of Led Zeppelin. His most important contribution, of course, is writing a melody that would later famously be used by a band that appears much later in the countdown.

T-242. Humble Pie (38 points)

Total number of songs: 11

Average song score: 2.91

# of 5-point songs: 1 (30 Days in the Hole)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Four Day Creep)

Recommended listening: 30 Days in the Hole, live; I Don’t Need No Doctor, live; I’m Ready, live

Originally a collaboration between Peter Frampton and Steve Marriott (lead singer of The Small Faces for those who have trouble keeping them and The Faces straight), Humble Pie went through a number of iterations. Pretty much all of them really rocked though. Their sound for a group that started in the late 60s was quite heavy, and they also could get pretty jammy. “30 Days in the Hole” is my favorite by them, and I might even like it better than the Gov’t Mule cover (complete with “I Don’t Need No Doctor” tease), which is rare.

T-242. John Prine (38 points)

Total number of songs: 14

Average song score: 2.57

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Great Rain; Unlonely)

Recommended listening: Great Rain; It’s a Big Old Goofy World, live; Unlonely

One of the great country songwriters, Prine is obviously best known for “Angel From Montgomery.” But he had a lot of other awesome songs. If you don’t have it, check out The Missing Years album which is one of the best folk/country albums I’ve ever heard. Among the musicians that play on it are Mike Campbell, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, and Bonnie Raitt.

T-242. Little Milton (38 points)

Total number of songs: 21

Average song score: 1.95

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Woman Across the River)

Recommended listening: Grits Ain’t Groceries; Let Me Down Easy; Walking the Back Streets and Crying; We’re Gonna Make It

A blues singer and guitarist with really strong R&B sensibilities and an amazing voice, Little Milton is criminally underrated in the pantheon of great blues artists. The man could sing and his guitar playing was very good as well. I first discovered him doing some great live collaborations with Gov’t Mule.

T-242. Rory Gallagher (38 points)

Total number of songs: 9

Average song score: 3.78

# of 5-point songs: 3 (Bullfrog Blues, live; Bad Penny; What in the World, live)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Hoodoo Man, live; I Could’ve Had Religion, live)

Recommended listening: A Million Miles Away; Bad Penny; What in the World, live

The greatest Irish musician? Assuming you aren’t including artists from Northern Ireland, he would probably have my vote for #1. In fact, this ranking seems entirely too low to me and I really need to add more stuff to my library. He should probably be a good 100 spots higher. Rory is an absolute beast on the guitar. He just barely missed out making the top 20 on my list of favorite guitarists. He started playing skiffle but once he discovered the blues he became a master. He was also a great multi-instrumentalist and played a number of string and horn instruments. His short-lived band Taste (short-lived with Rory, anyway – they reformed after he left) is also good and made an unheralded appearance earlier in the countdown.

T-242. Taj Mahal (38 points)

Total number of songs: 13

Average song score: 2.77

# of 5-point songs: 2 (Celebrated Walkin’ Blues; Statesboro Blues)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Leaving Trunk; Leaving Trunk, live)

Recommended listening: Leaving Trunk, live; Stagger Lee, live; Statesboro Blues

In October 1968 Gregg Allman brought his brother Duane a bottle of Coricidin pills and Taj Mahal’s self-titled debut album. Placing the empty bottle on his finger and initially imitating the licks laid down by Jesse Ed Davis, Duane quickly developed into the greatest slide guitar player who ever lived, and the rest is history. The song he was listening to was “Statesboro Blues,” a cover of the Piedmont blues classic written by Blind Willie McTell. It became a frequent opener for the Allman Brothers Band, was their most played song in concert, and was ranked 9th on Rolling Stone’s list of the greatest guitar songs of all-time. You can read more about it here.

My own personal music library contains the Blind Willie McTell version, the Taj Mahal version, a version by the Tedeschi Trucks Band, a solo version by Gregg Allman, and 39 versions by the Allman Brothers Band (which really isn’t that many considering they played it 1,207 times in concert). It is officially the song with the most versions in my library and the answer to our first trivia question.

Taj Mahal, of course, is a legend and has many other great songs. Pretty much every musician who ever has played a single bar of blues has recorded the Son House song “Walkin’ Blues,” but I think Taj Mahal’s might be the best of them.

“Leaving Trunk” is another of my favorite blues songs. While it is far from the best version, I included the version from the Rock and Roll Circus here since I have previously referred to that concert and will come back to it again. Check out Taj schooling the Tedeschi Trucks Band on how to play it right.

Part of Taj Mahal’s success was his partner in crime, the aforementioned Jesse Ed Davis, who is on the very short list of underrated and underappreciated guitarists. He was incredible.

Taj himself was also a fantastic musician, though. I’ll end this massive update with a Taj Mahal solo blues concert.

So your song with 43 versions is Statesboro Blues. One could also have guessed Mountain Jam from this batch.

Yep 43 version of "Statesboro." Your guess of "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" wasn't bad as I have 37 versions of that, which is 2nd. Only 17 versions of "Mountain Jam." Really that's more a function of how frequently it was played. "Statesboro Blues" was played 1,207 times by the Allmans, "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" 913 times, and "Mountain Jam" 373 times.

As I mentioned, the 39-point entry is another big one and I am going to again split it into two posts. After this, the entries get much smaller again. The 39-point entry is interesting because as I look through it again, it is clearly inferior to the lower-ranked 38-point entry. Still, there are a lot of good artists worth checking out.

T-233. Blackberry Smoke (39 points)

Average song score: 3.36

# of 5-point songs: 1 (All Over the Road)

# of 4-point songs: 4 (I’ll Keep Ramblin’; Morningside; Old Enough to Know; Old Scarecrow)

Recommended listening: I’ll Keep Ramblin, live; One Horse Town, live; Waiting for the Thunder

Part of the newest generation of southern rockers, Blackberry Smoke has a really good authentic southern rock sound. Charlie Starr’s are very average for me, which prevents them from being a little higher on my list. I’ve seen them live, though, and they put on a good show with a lot of energy.

T-233. Cannonball Adderley (39 points)

Average song score: 2.85

# of 4-point songs: 2 (If This Isn’t Love; Grand Central)

Recommended listening: Grand Central; Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, live; Them Dirty Blues

One of the great alto saxophonists (maybe the second best behind another artists who ranks much higher on the list), Cannonball Adderley is probably best known for his work with Miles Davis. He appeared on the Milestones and Kind of Blue albums. But he also did a lot of good stuff with his own bands, working with great musicians like bassist Ray Brown and pianist Joe Zawinul. And of course, the guy he collaborated with on the “Grand Central” track above.

T-233. Eric Johnson (39 points)

Average song score: 2.64

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Cliffs of Dover; Steve’s Boogie, live)

Recommended listening: East Wes; Righteous, live; Steve’s Boogie, live

One of the finest guitar players in the world, I think I respect Eric Johnson more than I love him. He is ridiculously talented and plays many styles very well, but a lot of his more famous songs are just ok to me. I can’t figure out exactly what it is; I think maybe his tone sounds too 1980s for me.

Cliffs of Dover, of course, is a great song, and for me brings back many fond memories of shredding on Guitar Hero 3. East Wes, Eric’s tribute to jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery, is super impressive in the way he perfectly captures Montgomery’s tone at the beginning. Again, it’s really great stuff. I just like it more than love it (I love the song it is named after, which will appear later in the countdown).

T-233. Funkadelic (39 points)

Total number of songs: 15

Average song score: 2.20

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Maggot Brain, live)

Personnel bonus: #19 bassist Bootsy Collins

Recommended listening: Cosmic Slop; Hit It and Quit It; I Wanna Know if It’s Good to You

We have some funky jams with a bonus insane music video that defies all commentary. There was a fair amount of P-Funk talk in Krista’s thread and I’m not sure I have enough knowledge to add anything more insightful. We do get another personnel bonus here with Bootsy coming in as the 19th ranked bassists on my list.

T-233. Jonny Lang (39 points)

Average song score: 3.00

# of 5-point songs: 1 (A Quitter Never Wins, live)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Don’t Stop for Anything, live; Lie to Me, live)

Recommended listening: A Quitter Never Wins, live; Before You Hit the Ground; Lie to Me

Another great blues guitarist, Jonny Lang is kind of like John Mayer for me. His guitar playing is great and when he sticks to the blues he is amazing to listen to. When he slows things down and tries to be more intentional about his songwriting, things can get mawkish pretty quickly. Some of his more popular stuff like “Red Light” or “Breakin’ Me” I find hard to listen to. When he sticks to the guitar jams, he is outstanding.

T-233. Los Lobos (39 points)

Average song score: 3.18

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Just a Man, live)

Recommended listening: Evangeline, live; I Walk Alone, live; Mas Y Mas

Most would probably put Santana at the top of the rankings for Latin rock groups, and since they haven’t yet appeared you can surmise that they are higher on my list as well. However, my gut feeling rankings would actually put Los Lobos above them. Both bands can really jam and at their best, both are fantastic. But Santana can be a little hit or miss for me. Los Lobos is much more consistent, and I like pretty much everything they do.

T-233. My Morning Jacket (39 points)

Total number of songs: 12

Average song score: 2.75

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Off the Record, live)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (It Makes No Difference, live; Ophelia, live)

Recommended listening: Dondante; Gideon, live; It Makes No Difference, live

A lot of people I know really like My Morning Jacket. I appreciate their style and their influences and really wish I liked them more than I do, but I just find their songs to be a little bit overrated. Which is maybe why two of the three songs that make it to the 4-level or higher in my list are covers (interestingly both by The Band).

T-233. Trigger Hippy (39 points)

Average song score: 3.18

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Dandelion)

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Don’t Wanna Bring You Down; Strung Out on the Pain; The Door)

Recommended listening: Dandelion, live; Dry County; Tennessee Mud, live; Strung Out on the Pain

This is one I am guessing most probably haven’t heard of, though they are actually my favorite in this point group. Trigger Hippy is a band formed by Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman and featuring Band of Heathens guitarist Ed Jurdi. The band has had a number of lineups, with various incarnations featuring Jimmy Herring, Jackie Greene, and Audley Freed on guitar, as well as Joan Osborne on vocals.

Actually, these guys should be ranked higher as I realized that I made an error in my rankings. Steve Gorman is in the top 20 on my list of favorite drummers and I think this body of work is significant enough that it should have earned them at least a partial personnel bonus, but I neglected to give them those points. I’ll make a note to correct that if I ever rerun the list.

T-233. Weather Report (39 points)

Total number of songs: 7

Average song score: 2.14

Personnel bonus: #5 bassist Jaco Pastorius (partial bonus)

Recommended listening: Birdland, live; Delores/Portrait of Tracy/Third Stone from the Sun, live; Elegant People, live

Weather Report becomes the band that benefits most from the personnel bonus thus far on the list. Despite really liking jazz fusion, I am not a huge Weather Report fan. Obviously they are insanely talented and Joe Zawinul is a virtuoso on keyboards, but I just find the instrumentation too distracting.

Nevertheless, there is one instrument in the ensemble that I can’t get enough of, and that’s Jaco’s bass. He clocks in as my fifth favorite bassist and that may actually be underrating him. Dude was crazy, but also a genius. More on him to come.

Last edited:
I’m surprised nothing from MMJ’s third album It Still Moves made your list. It’s the most Southern Rock-oriented and guitar-heavy of their albums and I’d think it would be more up your alley than their other records.

As I mentioned, the 39-point entry is another big one and I am going to again split it into two posts. After this, the entries get much smaller again. The 39-point entry is interesting because as I look through it again, it is clearly inferior to the lower-ranked 38-point entry. Still, there are a lot of good artists worth checking out.

# of 4-point songs: 4 (I’ll Keep Ramblin’; Morningside; Old Enough to Know; Old Scarecrow)

Recommended listening: I’ll Keep Ramblin, live; One Horse Town, live; Waiting for the Thunder

Part of the newest generation of southern rockers, Blackberry Smoke has a really good authentic southern rock sound. Charlie Starr’s are very average for me, which prevents them from being a little higher on my list. I’ve seen them live, though, and they put on a good show with a lot of energy.

Recommended listening: Grand Central; Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, live; Them Dirty Blues

One of the great alto saxophonists (maybe the second best behind another artists who ranks much higher on the list), Cannonball Adderley is probably best known for his work with Miles Davis. He appeared on the Milestones and Kind of Blue albums. But he also did a lot of good stuff with his own bands, working with great musicians like bassist Ray Brown and pianist Joe Zawinul. And of course, the guy he collaborated with on the “Grand Central” track above.

One of the finest guitar players in the world, I think I respect Eric Johnson more than I love him. He is ridiculously talented and plays many styles very well, but a lot of his more famous songs are just ok to me. I can’t figure out exactly what it is; I think maybe his tone sounds too 1980s for me.

Cliffs of Dover, of course, is a great song, and for me brings back many fond memories of shredding on Guitar Hero 3. East Wes, Eric’s tribute to jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery, is super impressive in the way he perfectly captures Montgomery’s tone at the beginning. Again, it’s really great stuff. I just like it more than love it (I love the song it is named after, which will appear later in the countdown).

Recommended listening: Cosmic Slop; Hit It and Quit It; I Wanna Know if It’s Good to You

We have some funky jams with a bonus insane music video that defies all commentary. There was a fair amount of P-Funk talk in Krista’s thread and I’m not sure I have enough knowledge to add anything more insightful. We do get another personnel bonus here with Bootsy coming in as the 19th ranked bassists on my list.

Recommended listening: A Quitter Never Wins, live; Before You Hit the Ground; Lie to Me

Another great blues guitarist, Jonny Lang is kind of like John Mayer for me. His guitar playing is great and when he sticks to the blues he is amazing to listen to. When he slows things down and tries to be more intentional about his songwriting, things can get mawkish pretty quickly. Some of his more popular stuff like “Red Light” or “Breakin’ Me” I find hard to listen to. When he sticks to the guitar jams, he is outstanding.

Fascinated by your Blackberry Smoke song selections. I’m much more a fan of their early work but you seem to love their latest album. I will definitely give it a few more listens!

This is one I am guessing most probably haven’t heard of, though they are actually my favorite in this point group. Trigger Hippy is a band formed by Black Crowes drummer Steve Gorman and featuring Band of Heathens guitarist Ed Jurdi. The band has had a number of lineups, with various incarnations featuring Jimmy Herring, Jackie Greene, and Audley Freed on guitar, as well as Joan Osborne on vocals.

Big fan. I think @Hov34 introduced them to me.

Weather Report becomes the band that benefits most from the personnel bonus thus far on the list. Despite really liking jazz fusion, I am not a huge Weather Report fan. Obviously they are insanely talented and Joe Zawinul is a virtuoso on keyboards, but I just find the instrumentation too distracting.

Nevertheless, there is one instrument in the ensemble that I can’t get enough of, and that’s Jaco’s bass. He clocks in as my fifth favorite bassist and that may actually be underrating him. Dude was crazy, but also a genius. More on him to come.

Shoutout to the living legend Wayne Shorter

I’m surprised nothing from MMJ’s third album It Still Moves made your list. It’s the most Southern Rock-oriented and guitar-heavy of their albums and I’d think it would be more up your alley than their other records.

I'll check it out. The majority of stuff I've been exposed to with them is live material and I don't know that I have sat and listened to most of their albums start to finish, so their may be some great songs I'm just not aware of.

Fascinated by your Blackberry Smoke song selections. I’m much more a fan of their early work but you seem to love their latest album. I will definitely give it a few more listens!

This brings up a good point that I don't think I have really said how I choose the "recommended listening selections." I wish I could say I have a good system but there isn't a consistent process. Sometimes I choose songs that I like the best or that I think others will like. Sometimes I choose stuff to be a representation of the range styles of a particular artist. Sometimes I choose the band's biggest or most well known stuff, and sometimes I go for deeper cuts. And sometimes when I am in a rush trying to finish a post I honestly just pick a few songs at random.

Once we get to the artists that have too many songs at the 4 and 5-point levels to list them individually I will expand the number of songs in the recommended listening section, but I plan to continue to use a variety of reasons for choosing the songs because I think that makes it a little more interesting.

I'd be interested in seeing the 15 songs on your playlist. No rush - it can be after you're done with this. If you don't want to clutter up this thread, shoot me a PM.

I have a feeling you lean heavily to their early 70s stuff, especially with you being a jam guy.

I'm a little surprised Worrell or Hazel didn't rate a personnel bonus.

Lang's really good and can play the hell out of his guitar.

I think his best song, though, is the studio version of "Lie To Me". It's not really a blues in the traditional sense - sounds like something Stevie Wonder and Bruce Springsteen would co-write and bring in Mavis Staples to sing on.

I'm not a big fan of endless wankery (which puts you & I at odds, I suppose), and like tighter performances like this record.

I'll check it out. The majority of stuff I've been exposed to with them is live material and I don't know that I have sat and listened to most of their albums start to finish, so their may be some great songs I'm just not aware of.
The stuff from It Still Moves that might be up your alley includes Mahgeetah, One Big Holiday, Easy Morning Rebel, Run Thru and Steam Engine. And, if you like country-flavored acoustic songs, Golden.

I'd be interested in seeing the 15 songs on your playlist. No rush - it can be after you're done with this. If you don't want to clutter up this thread, shoot me a PM.

I have a feeling you lean heavily to their early 70s stuff, especially with you being a jam guy.

I'm a little surprised Worrell or Hazel didn't rate a personnel bonus.

Sent you a PM with the list (I think? Haven't used that feature on this board before).

In terms of the personnel, I like both of them and especially am a BIG Bernie Worrell fan. But when you think about the top 20 people across all genres at any given instrument that's a lot of competition (well actually for keyboards, that gets lumped in with the "miscellaneous instruments" that aren't guitar/drums/bass/vocals so it is even more competition). I can post those lists when we are done if people are interested.

I hope to get another entry posted in just a little bit. But in the meantime as a little intermission, I will post what I was rockin' out to while doing stuff around the house today.

I mentioned that I also have a fair amount of classical music in my library and while I took it out for this project, that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy some great music. That's one of my favorites. Simply breathtaking.

The 40-point entry is one of my favorites. Some deeper cuts here (well except Smokey Robinson), but a few artists who I absolutely love and would be higher on the list if they had more music easily available.

T-229. Betts, Hall, Leavell, and Trucks (40 points)

Average song score: 2.57

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Cadillac Tracks, live; Jessica, live; Southbound, live)

Recommended listening: Cadillac Tracks, live; Pick a Little Boogie, live; Rain, live; Southbound, live

A short-lived side project during one of the times that the Allman Brothers had broken up, B.H.L.T. featured several members of the ABB (the three in the name, and David “Rook” Goldflies also played with them), along with Wet Willie front man Jimmy Hall. Their material consisted of some original material, a few Jimmy Hall and Wet Willie songs, stuff from Dickey’s solo work, and the occasional ABB song mixed in.

Their live performances were critically acclaimed, but they never got a recording contract. As a result, it can be challenging to find good recordings of their music, though one concert is easily accessible as the album Live at the Coffee Pot, 1983. Check it out.

T-229. Delaney & Bonnie and Friends (40 points)

Total number of songs: 7

Average song score: 3.71

# of 5-point songs: 3 (Come on in My Kitchen, live; Going Down the Road Feeling Bad, live; Poor Elijah-Tribute to Johnson, live)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Gift of Love; Living on the Open Road)

Recommended listening: Come on in My Kitchen, live; Coming Home, live; Never Ending Song of Love; Poor Elijah-Tribute to Johnson, live

Major asterisk on this one. I can’t believe I have so few Delaney & Bonnie songs in my library. When I started going through the numbers for this project, I was shocked because I know at one point, I had a lot more of their songs in my collection. Somehow over the years some got deleted, I guess. I’m in the process of adding a bunch of stuff back but didn’t want to delay the project to make that happen. So, this is another entry that should be ranked way higher on the list.

Anyway, most of you probably know this but for those who don’t, the husband/wife duo played with an impressive ensemble of musicians that at various points included Duane Allman, Gregg Allman, George Harrison, Dave Mason, King Curtis, and Leon Russell, among many others. The ensemble basically gave birth to Joe Cocker’s Mad Dogs & Englishmen as well as Clapton’s Derek and the Dominos.

I’ve obviously partial to the stuff that includes Duane Allman, including their amazing version of “Come on in My Kitchen.” “Coming Home,” co-written by Clapton, and “Poor Elijah-Tribute to Johnson,” co-written by Leon Russell, both were later covered by one of my other favorite bands, The Black Crowes. Check out the Crowes version of the latter.

T-229. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (40 points)

Total number of songs: 17

Average song score: 2.35

# of 4-point songs: 2 (I Second That Emotion; The Tracks of My Tears)

Recommended listening: Going to a Go-Go; The Tears of a Clown; Whole Lot of Shakin’ in My Heart (Since I Met You); You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me

I don’t think I actually have a list ranking my favorite Motown artists but if I did, Smokey Robinson would challenge for the top slot. He was close to getting a personnel bonus as a songwriter. And the vocal performances by The Miracles are great, especially when compared with lesser singers. I really, really love Jerry Garcia, and Merl Saunders is the man, but that is quite the stark contrast. And I actually love that version of the song very much, but it requires getting past the lead vocals.

I’m sure most are aware, but the proper title of The Miracles song includes the contraction (even though that hyperlink doesn’t). The Beatles renamed it when they covered the song.

T-229. The Word (40 points)

Average song score: 3.27

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Early in the Moanin’ Time; Joyful Sounds; Swamp Road)

Recommended listening: Come By Here, live; Early in the Moanin’ Time, live; Joyful Sounds

The Word is another band that might not be as widely known. They are a sacred steel jam band made up of Robert Randolph on lap pedal steel (another artist that just missed a personnel bonus by a hair), jazz keyboardist John Medeski, and the North Mississippi Allstars. If they had more material available, they would probably be a lot higher because these guys are sickeningly good. Check out this awesome jam.

T-227. Aretha Franklin (41 points)

Total number of songs: 19

Average song score: 2.17

# of 4-point songs: 3 (I Never Loved a Man; I Say a Little Prayer; It Ain’t Fair)

Recommended listening: Dark End of the Street; I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You); It Ain’t Fair

Aretha is one of my favorite female singers. She is one of two female vocalists in the next few entries to just miss a personnel bonus by a hair. “Dark End of the Street” is a song that has already appeared on the countdown and will appear again; it’s such a great song, but Franklin’s vocals take it to the next level. “I Never Loved a Man” is another song that I love multiple versions by multiple artists.

That’s Duane Allman playing guitar on “It Ain’t Fair,” another of my favorites by her. He also plays guitar on her version of “They Weight,” which surprisingly is not one of my favorite versions of that great song.

T-227. Leftover Salmon (41 points)

Average song score: 3.67

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Railroad Highway, live)

# of 4-point songs: 5 (Bill’s Boogie, live; Danger Man, live; Get Me Outta This City, live; Out in the Woods, live; Unplug That Telephone, live)

Recommended listening: Midnight Blues; Railroad Highway, live; Unplug That Telephone, live

Bluegrass-inspired jam bands seem to be pretty big these days (Billy String, Greensky Bluegrass, etc.), but Leftover Salmon have been playing that style of music for more than 30 years. I don’t have much to say about them other than are just fun. Any time I listen to one of their songs it puts me in a good mood.

226. Carl Perkins (42 points)

Total number of songs: 27

Average song score: 1.91

Recommended listening: All Mama’s Children; Dixie Fried; Matchbox/Boppin’ the Blues, live

Certainly one of the most influential musicians in the history of rock music, it would be hard to overstate the impact of Carl Perkins. Like Paul McCartney state, “if there were no Carl Perkins, there would be no Beatles.” The Fab Four famously covered his songs “Everybody’s Trying to Be My Baby,” “Honey Don’t,” and “Matchbox.” Though Perkins’ impact is not limited to early British rockers. On the American side he obviously had a tremendous influence on Elvis, with The King’s cover of “Blue Suede Shoes” being particularly well-known.

The number of artists per post is slowly decreasing, but the quality is getting crazy high. Two heavy hitters in this post.

T-224. Ella Fitzgerald (43 points)

Total number of songs: 29

Average song score: 1.93

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Mack the Knife, live)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (How High the Moon, live)

Recommended listening: Don’t Be that Way, live; How High the Moon, live; Mack the Knife, live

The second of two recent female vocalists that just missed out on a personnel bonus, Ella was the absolute master of scat singing. Her performance on “How High the Moon” from the Berlin concert demonstrates that clearly. But it is her version of “Mack the Knife” from the same concert that is probably one of the greatest jazz vocal performances ever recorded. I was glad to see it get some love in Krista’s thread. The selection of “Don’t Be that Way” here is from another great concert and features Duke Ellington, who still has yet to appear on the countdown, on piano.

T-224. Elmore James (43 points)

Average song score: 2.15

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Dust My Broom)

Recommended listening: Dust My Broom; Look on Yonder Wall; Shake Your Moneymaker; The Sky is Crying

This is another artist that is probably way underrated. Elmore James is one of the most important artists in the transition of blues from a country folk genre to hard-driving electric music closely related to rock. He is also one of the most influential slide guitarists in history and in my mind maybe the only person who could be mentioned in the same sentence with Duane Allman among the greatest slide players of all time.

Most important among his many contributions is the popularization of the “Dust My Broom” riff, Elmore’s distorted, up-tempo riff that starts his interpretation of the Robert Johnson classic. It may be the most famous and often-copied riff in all of blues music.

Like I said, Elmore seems criminally underrated in this spot. As I go through the list of his songs in my library, a lot of them seem like they could be a level higher. His songs have been covered so often that I think he unfortunately suffers from the comparison effect more than most artists, where his songs are downgraded because a better version by another artist exists. Examples include Stevie Ray doing “The Sky is Crying,” the Black Crowes doing “Shake Your Moneymaker,” and Gov’t Mule doing “Look on Yonder Wall” (the last, by the way, is not an Elmore James original, but his interpretation was certainly important in the song’s modern development).

Of course, the other great thing about Elmore James is the shout out that George gives John’s playing at the 1:30 mark on “For You Blue” – “Elmore James ain’t got nothing on this, baby!”

BTW, Chuck's piano playing on the Mule version of "Look on Yonder Wall" may be some of the greatest piano playing I have ever heard.

Short update today. Just heard the news about Jeff Beck and going to spend my music time tonight listening to some of his stuff.

T-220. Charlie Daniels Band (44 points)

Average song score: 2.32

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Take the Highway, live; The Devil Went Down to Georgia, live; The South’s Gonna Do It Again, live)

Recommended listening: Long Haired Country Boy; Still in Saigon; Take the Highway, live

The Charlie Daniels Band might be a little polarizing. Some of their lyrics can get a little political for my taste, but they are hardly the only artists for which that is the case and really it doesn’t play too much of a part in my rankings. “Still in Saigon” is one political song for which the lyrics do make a big difference. It is quite the emotional song and it is hard to imagine anyone hearing it and not being moved by it.

As Charlie explains at the beginning of “Take the Highway,” at that particular concert the band paid tribute to three southern rock greats by doing a song from each. They played “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed” for the Allman Brothers Band and “Freebird” for Lynyrd Skynyrd and did a solid version of each. But I think “Take the Highway” is the best performance of the three.

T-220. Hubert Sumlin (44 points)

Average song score: 3.08

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Evil; I’m Ready; Look What You’ve Done; This is the End, Little Girl)

Recommended listening: Evil; I’m Ready; This is the End, Little Girl

Maybe one of the greatest blues musicians that isn’t a household name (at least I think he probably isn’t for a lot of people), Sumlin was best known for his work with Howlin’ Wolf. However, he worked with a lot of other artists and also put out solo albums including an outstanding project called About Them Shoes which featured a who’s who of great musicians. Among the above recordings, “Evil” features Levon Helm on drums, “I’m Ready” features Helm on drums with Eric Clapton on guitar and vocals, and “This is the End, Little Girl” has Keith Richards on guitar.

T-220. Memphis Minnie (44 points)

Average song score: 2.32

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Lonesome Shack Blues)

Recommended listening: I’d Rather See Him Dead; Joliet Bound; Lonesome Shack Blues

Real name Lizzie Douglas, Memphis Minnie was one of the greatest female blues musicians. She was an accomplished multi-instrumentalist, excellent singer, and wrote some absolutely classic songs. She collaborated with husbands Casey Bill Weldon, Kansas Joe McCoy (who can be heard singing on “Joliet Bound”), and Earnest “Little Son Joe” Lawlars, but it is believed Minnie was the driving force in these partnerships. Of course, she is most known for writing this song which was covered by a band that just might show up later.

T-220. Trampled by Turtles (44 points)

Average song score: 3.33

# of 5-point songs: 2 (Codeine, live; Drinkin’ in the Morning, live)

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Brown-eyed Women, live; Burn for Free, live; Wait So Long, live)

Top 50 track bonus:

Personnel bonus:

Recommended listening: Drinkin’ in the Morning, live; Wait So Long; Where is My Mind, live; Whiskey

Another great bluegrass band that, like Yonder Mountain String Band, I first discovered by listening to them cover the Grateful Dead during the Dear Jerry concert. That’s a great cover that I like nearly as much as any of the actual Dead versions of that song in my library, so I explored their stuff a little more and found that they are legit.

T-214. Bobby Bland (45 points)

Total number of songs: 18

Average song score: 2.08

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Let the Good Times Roll, live)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Yield Not to Temptation)

Personnel bonus: #12 drummer John “Jabo” Starks (partial bonus)

Recommended listening: Ain’t That Lovin’ You Baby, live; Farther on Up the Road; I Pity the Fool; Turn on Your Lovelight; Yield Not to Temptation

Bobby “Blue” Bland is near the top of the greatest and most influential blues singers. Many songs originally recorded by him would go on to become blues and rock standards covered by a myriad of great artists. Just some of the covers of Bland songs in my library include Eric Clapton and The Band doing “Further on Up the Road,” The Tedeschi Trucks Band going “I Pity the Fool,” and the Aquarium Rescue Unit doing “Yield Not to Temptation.” Of course, the most important are the many renditions of the Grateful Dead covering “Turn on Your Lovelight.” I also have a really great version of the Black Crowes and Tedeschi Trucks Band doing “Lovelight” together from a concert I attended.

I awarded a small personnel bonus here since the #12 drummer on my list, John “Jabo” Starks, played on the majority of Bland’s most important songs. Jabo will return to this thread in time.

Bobby Bland also was known for doing some great collaborations including doing a nice version of “Tupelo Honey” with Van Morrison and the absolutely incredible recording of “Let the Good Times Roll” that he did with B.B. King.

T-214. Electric Light Orchestra (45 points)

Average song score: 2.37

# of 4-point songs: 1 (Ma-Ma-Ma Belle)

Recommended listening: Livin’ Thing; Ma-Ma-Ma Belle; Mr. Blue Sky; Strange Magic

I’m not nearly as big of a fan of E.L.O. as I am sure some are. Jeff Lynne is my least favorite Wilbury by a pretty significant margin. Super talented and I definitely get why others like them. But I’m not much of a pop guy and not much of a prog guy, so there is a limit to how high I can rate their songs no matter how talented they are. Some of their better-known songs, like “Telephone Line” and “Evil Woman” I absolutely can’t stand. The ones listed above are the ones I really do enjoy quite a bit.

T-214. Jethro Tull (45 points)

# of 5-point songs: 2 (Locomotive Breath, live; Thick as a Brick, live)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Aqualung; My Sunday Feeling, live)

Recommended listening: Locomotive Breath, live; Minstrel in the Gallery, live; Song for Jeffrey, live; Thick as a Brick, live

Immediately after telling you how I’m not a huge fan of progressive music, I’m going to tell you how much I like Jethro Tull. I suppose that’s just the nature of music. You can try to analyze it to death but in the end some music speaks to you and some doesn’t and often there isn’t rhyme or reason as to why. I guess in this case there is just something about having a rock flautist that is inherently awesome (this won’t be the last time we focus on flute music in the countdown). I will say that I think Martin Barre is a great guitarist and never really understood why he rarely gets mentioned with other top guitarists of the era.

T-214. Ronnie Wood (45 points)

Average song score: 3.15

# of 4-point songs: 5 (Flying; Show Me Groove; Silicon Grown; Slide Inst.; Stay With Me)

Recommended listening: Flying; Show Me, live; Slide Instr., live

It makes me sad just a day after Jeff Beck’s death to be writing an entry for one of his band mates. Obviously, Ronnie is a legend. Most know the two-time Rock and Roll Hall-of-Famer as a member of The Rolling Stones, and many are probably also familiar with his work with The Faces. In addition to those endeavors and serving as a member of the Jeff Beck Group, he has also put out some fairly strong solo stuff. Check out the album Slide On Live: Plugged in and Standing which features some great musicians including Bernard Fowler, Ian McLagan, and Chuck Leavell.

T-214. Wet Willie (45 points)

Average song score: 3.37

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Jelly, Jelly, live)

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Country Side of Life, live; Grits Ain’t Groceries, live; No, No, No, live; Ring You Up, live)

Recommended listening: Country Side of Life, live; Jelly, Jelly, live; Ring You Up

They didn’t receive as much critical acclaim or commercial success as a number of their southern rock contemporaries, but I still really like Wet Willie. Led by vocalist/saxophonist Jimmy Hall (previously mentioned in the B.H.L.T. entry), Willie had a great energy and really brought it on songs like their cover of the Allman Brothers’ “Jelly, Jell” (which isn’t really an Allman Brothers song, as explained here).

T-214. Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton (45 points)

Total number of songs: 10

Average song score: 3.70

# of 5-point songs: 2 (Joliet Bound; Layla)

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Forty-Four; Ice Cream; Just a Closer Walk with Thee; Kidman’s Blues)

Recommended listening: Joliet Bound, live; Just a Closer Walk With Thee, live; Kidman Blues

If you haven’t seen this concert, check it out as soon as possible. All the songs in this entry come from a collaboration done between Clapton and the legendary jazz trumpeter, along with the entire Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. There is even a special guest appearance by Taj Mahal. The entire concert is phenomenal.

My favorite track is another version of another song that appeared in the last post, an amazing cover of Memphis Minnie’s “Joliet Bound.”

I'll add to my Bobby Bland post that my favorite cover of his in my library is a performance of "Ain't That Lovin' You Baby" done by the Derek Trucks Band with Larry McCray and Jimmy Herring. I can't find a good link to it, but it is available on this album (a great concert which I have cited in other entries).

Also, Susan Tedeschi just kills it on that version of "I Pity the Fool." That's one of my favorite songs to hear her perform.

Finally, I really think that Pigpen's improvised lyrics in "Lovelight" deserve their own post. According to The Complete Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics, Jerry Garcia said this about Pigpen's singing:
"But, like, I have no idea where [Pigpen] got that thing he used to sing: 'She got box-back nitties and great big noble thighs, working undercover with a boar hog's eye.' Don't ask me--I don't know what the **** that's all about! It some weird mojo **** or something. But he could always pull that stuff out. He could do that as long as I knew him. When he was on, he was amazing."
The book goes on to explain that Pigpen was drawing on old blues terminology for lingerie.

Pigpen was amazing and it's a shame we didn't get to see what the Dead would have been if he had been around for longer.

I will say that I think Martin Barre is a great guitarist and never really understood why he rarely gets mentioned with other top guitarists of the era.
I agree. My guess would be that the press around Tull was almost exclusively focused on Ian Anderson, so there was very little discussion of ANY other members in the public realm. Sort of like how you never heard anything about anyone from ELO except Jeff Lynne.

The personnel bonus really starts to be a factor in this post with it providing points for 3 of the 4 artists.

T-210. Foo Fighters (46 points)

Total number of songs: 18

Average song score: 2.39

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Everlong; Learn to Fly)

Personnel bonus: #20 drummer Dave Grohl

Recommended listening: Alone + Easy Target; Aurora; I’ll Stick Around; Long Road to Ruin

Contrary to the title of an older FBG thread, no the Foo Fighters are not the greatest rock band of all-time. At least according to the methodology of this project. And according to my own personal opinion of the band.

I still vividly remember the rumors from my childhood that the drummer from Nirvana was going to release a new album and later the discussions around school following the premier of the “I’ll Stick Around” video. I still really like that first album but over the years the band has become less interesting to me, and I feel like a lot of their stuff is hit or miss.

One thing that is consistent is that they always have great drumming. I went back and forth on what to do with the personnel bonus on this one but ultimately gave full credit for Grohl’s bonus since he drummed on the entire first album as well as some of their other key songs in my library like “Everlong.” Plus, since Taylor Hawkins himself was a consideration on the drummer list, it seemed to be the right thing to award as many points as possible here.

T-210. John McLaughlin & the 4th Dimension (46 points)

Average song score: 2.33

Personnel bonus: #19 guitarist John McLaughlin (partial bonus); #14 bassist Etienne Mbappé

Recommended listening: Meeting of the Spirits, live; Miles Beyond, live; New Blues, Old Bruise, live

Previously I stated that I consider John McLaughlin to be one of the top few greatest jazz guitarists ever. He actually comes in as the top-ranked jazz musician on my guitarist list. The 4th Dimension is the most recent of several groups he has led. They play a mix of jazz standards, stuff from McLaughlin’s earlier career, and originals.

McLaughlin earns the band a personnel bonus here, though only partial credit as the full bonus goes to another of his groups that was a more substantial part of his career. The rest of the band is also great. I was fortunate enough to catch them live several years ago and even more than McLaughlin, I was blown away by the thrilling melodic lead runs from their bass player, Etienne Mbappé. So I started exploring some of his stuff and I’m a big fan. Here is Etienne playing with one of his other bands.

These guys could actually be ranked higher except the score for many of their song levels were depressed by having better versions in my library. That’s not because a better band was playing them. That’s probably confusing, but you’ll see what I mean when we get to one of our future entries.

T-210. Keb’ Mo’ (46 points)

Average song score: 2.59

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Am I Wrong, live; Dangerous Mood, live)

Recommended listening: Am I Wrong; Dangerous Mood, live; Perpetual Blues Machine; The Whole Enchilada

Keb’ Mo’ might be as authentic of a blues musician as there is today. He is actually quite versatile, playing multiple styles of blues incredibly well and being proficient in multiple instruments. But it is his authentic delta blues performances for which he is best known and acclaimed. His first album featured a couple of nice Robert Johnson covers and his second is straight up delta blues. He even portrayed Robert Johnson in the documentary Can't You Hear the Wind Howl. I wish there were more musicians like this guy around.

T-210. The Police (46 points)

Total number of songs: 8

Average song score: 1.63

Personnel bonus: #9 drummer Stewart Copland

Recommended listening: Message in a Bottle (that’s it)

The drummers are really carrying this round. Here we get our first true demonstration of how powerful the personnel bonus can be. I am not much of a fan of The Police. I don’t like the style of music. I don’t like Sting’s voice. Despite the acclaim he gets, I find Andy Summer’s guitar playing boring as hell. They only have a handful of songs that I tolerate and don’t immediately skip if they came on, and only one song (“Message in a Bottle”) I truly like and would ever actually seek to listen to.

But Stewart Copeland is a heckuva drummer and I respect the hell out of him. If only there was a Police album that mixed out Sting’s singing and I could just focus on Copeland’s drumming, I would probably actually listen to that. Anyway, the majority of the points in this entry come from his personnel bonus. I haven’t really explored his work outside of The Police, which I probably should do. If people have recommendations, please post them.

209. Small Faces (47 points)

Average song score: 2.81

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Every Little Bit Hurts, live; Jump Back, live; You Need Loving; You Need Loving, live)

Recommended listening: All or Nothing; E Too D, live; Itchycoo Park, live; Lazy Sunday

For those who can never remember the difference between the Small Faces and the Faces, a brief summary. The Small Faces were a mid-60’s mod group fronted by Steve Mariott and also featuring Ronnie Lane and Ian McLagan. After Mariott left for Humble Pie, the other band members joined Rod Stewart and Ronnie Wood (both coming from the Jeff Beck Group), to form The Faces. In general The Faces have a little more hard rock and blues sound compared to more of a pop and then later psychedelic sound of The Small Faces, but there is definitely overlap. I prefer The Faces, but both are good.

Maybe the group’s most important musical contribution was this cover which should sound familiar to anyone who has ever listened to rock music. “You Need Loving” was written by Willie Dixon and first recorded by Earl Hooker and Muddy Waters. It was commonly covered in live sets by The Small Faces as a long blues jam with Mariott singing a very different style from Muddy Waters. When it was first released on a Small Faces album, the band’s manager listed Mariott and Lane as the songwriters, rather than Dixon.

Later, Jimmy Page was showing Robert Plant a new guitar riff he had written and wanted Plant to sing over it. Plant, not having anything else ready, started singing The Small Faces version of “You Need Loving,” which he had heard at a local concert. They kept much of the vocals the same when they recorded “Whole Lotta Love.” When Willie Dixon discovered this, he sued Led Zeppelin rather than The Small Faces, not knowing the Small Faces version existed (I suspect Zeppelin had a deeper pockets to collect from as well).

T-205. Bo Diddley (48 points)

Average song score: 3.0

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Bo Diddley, live; I’m a Man, live; Mona; Who Do You Love)

Recommended listening: Before You Accuse Me; Bo Diddley, live; I’m a Man; She’s Fine, She’s Mine

We’ve had a number of posts discussing covers of Bo Diddley songs, now we get to the legend himself. It would be difficult to overstate the influence of Bo Diddley. One of his most important contributions, of course, was the popularization of the “Bo Diddley beat,” a syncopated variation on African clave rhythms that became a mainstream in rock music. It was prominently featured in the self-titled “Bo Diddley,” in “Hey Bo Diddley,” and in “Pretty Thing.” It was also frequently used in covers of Bo Diddley songs, even when the original did not feature it (see the George Thorogood entry). Other prominent rock songs to incorporate the beat include “American Girl,” “Magic Bus,” “Mystic Eyes,” “No One to Run With,” and “Not Fade Away,” among many others.

“I’m a Man” is an interesting song. It was inspired by the Muddy Waters song “Hoochie Coochie Man.” Many groups have covered the song, including The Yardbirds. Muddy himself recorded a famous response song, “Mannish Boy,” written in collaboration with Bo Diddley. The latter was frequently played live by The Rolling Stones.

“She Fine, She’s Mine” is another important song as it served as the inspiration for the Willie Cobbs song “You Don’t Love Me” which later became a staple for The Allman Brothers Band (#5 on my list of favorite Allman songs).

T-205. Frank Zappa (48 points)

Average song score: 2.62

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Son of Mr. Green Genes; Willie the Pimp, live)

Recommended listening: Cosmik Debris, live; Peaches en Regalia, live; Willie the Pimp, live

I don’t have a ton to say about Zappa. He is incredibly talented, and I like some of his stuff a lot. His guitar playing can be mesmerizing at times. I am particularly partial to his more jammy, instrumental stuff. The whole Fillmore East – June 1971 album is great. In general, though, I don’t love his vocals, and at times he gets just a little too weird even for me. Others are probably more into him and can provide better commentary than me.

I do really love Gov’t Mule’s tribute to Zappa, “Left Coast Groovies.”

T-205. Otis Rush (48 points)

Average song score: 3.14

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Gambler’s Blues, live)

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Double Trouble, live; Reap What You Sow; Why I Sing the Blues, live)

Recommended listening: Gambler’s Blues, live; Me; Please Love Me, live; Reap What You Sow

Otis Rush is probably one of the more underrated of the great Chicago blues men. He was a fantastic guitarist and a really good singer, and in my mind is just the smallest notch below the all-time legends like Buddy Guy, but I feel like he is much less of a household name. There is some great playing on the above tracks. Notably, “Me” and “Reap What You Sow” both feature Duane Allman.

T-205. Ringo Starr (48 points)

Total number of songs: 21

Average song score: 2.29

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Act Naturally; It Don’t Come Easy; It Don’t Come Easy, live)

Recommended listening: Beaucoups of Blues; Don’t Pass Me By, live; It Don’t Come Easy, live; Never Without You

If she wasn’t so busy with her own thread, I would have asked @krista4 to do a guest commentary for this one. Since she is probably drowning in music posts, I’ll try to do my best to honor the great Ringo.

Certainly, Ringo is the Beatle whose solo work I listen to the least. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of great stuff. Ringo has a ton of solo music that is worth checking out. I already talked about “Act Naturally” during the Buck Owens entry. “Don’t Pass Me By” might not be everyone’s favorite Beatles song, but Ringo brings a ton of energy to it and when he plays it live it’s a lot of fun.

“It Don’t Come Easy” is of course, his most well-known solo effort. I won’t say too much about The Concert for Bangla Desh here as I am sure that will come up later, but this is a great version of that song. Finally, “Never Without You” is a really nice tune. Krista probably mentioned it in one of her threads, but it is a very touching tribute to George Harrison.

Last edited:
@neal cassady is our resident Zappa expert and might have thoughts on the selection!

As far as Ringo goes, I'm happy to see Beaucoups of Blues on your list! The entire album of the same name is very good; Ringo's voice really suits country music the best. Also happy for the shout-out of "Never Without You," which was my #13 Ringo song on my solo Beatles countdown. Others that I'd recommend that aren't well-known are I Don't Believe You, Weight of the World, and my favorite Ringo song, "Walk With You," which features Paul in beautiful harmonies.

Oh, and I happen to love Don't Pass Me By, too, so I'm glad to see you call it out.

Here's a post in my thread just in praise of Ringo. :)

enjoying your countdown jose - and glad to see Small Faces make an appearance

was surprised to see that "Tin Soldier" wasn't in your favs list or recommended listening though

I mean it's probably just one of the most tremendous rock songs ever made in the history of civilization. :D

ETA: not wanting your face rocked off would serve as a legitimate reason

Last edited:

enjoying your countdown jose - and glad to see Small Faces make an appearance

was surprised to see that "Tin Soldier" wasn't in your favs list or recommended listening though

I mean it's probably just one of the most tremendous rock songs ever made in the history of civilization. :D

ETA: not wanting your face rocked off would serve as a legitimate reason

Haha. Fair enough. It is actually is in the 3-point level in my library so we can consider it an official recommendation.

T-201. Guster (49 points)

Average song score: 2.45

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Two Points for Honesty)

# of 4-point songs: 1 (What You Wish For)

Recommended listening: Amsterdam; Barrel of a Gun; C’Mon; Satellite; So Long

I equivocate on how I feel about Guster. They are really talented and when I listen to them I often think that they have a lot of great songs. But I get tired of them faster than I do with other artists. After listening to a few songs I’ll usually feel like that’s enough and I don’t really care to revisit them for a while. Then when I revisit them, I’m always shocked at how good I think their songs are and wonder why I stopped listening. I’m not really sure what that means, but anyway that’s my feelings on Guster.

T-201. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (49 points)

Average song score: 2.69

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Cadillac Ranch, live; El Harpo, live)

Recommended listening: El Harpo, live; Long Hard Road; Partners, Brothers, and Friends, live

One of the most important groups in the development of country rock, the Dirt Band was also important in the development of the Allman Brothers. Multi-instrumentalist John McEuen recorded the first demo of “It’s Not My Cross to Bear,” the first original song Gregg Allman brought to the band that they ultimately ended up recording.

In addition to the above recommendations, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band recorded so many great covers of other country and folk songs including “The Battle of New Orleans,” “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” and of course “Mr. Bojangles.”

T-201. Warren Zevon (49 points)

Average song score: 3.21

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Werewolves of London)

# of 4-point songs: 4 (I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead; Lawyers, Guns, and Money; Poor Pitiful Me; Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner)

Recommended listening: Carmelita; Excitable Boy; Keep Me in Your Heart; Poor Pitiful Me

Obviously just about everyone knows “Werewolves of London” and many are probably familiar with “Lawyers, Guns, and Money” and maybe “Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.” But for those who haven’t explored him beyond that, Zevon had a lot of great songs. His music was great and of course his lyrics were maybe even better. I’m not typically one who pays a ton of attention to lyrics, but whether humorous (“His hair was perfect”) or serious (“And I’m all strung out on heroin on the outskirts of town), Warren has some of the most memorable lines in all of music.

If you want a tear-jerker, check out his final album The Wind, which he recorded as he was dying. “Keep Me in Your Heart” is the closing song on the album. Among the musicians who performed on the album are Ry Cooder, Tom Petty, Steve Gorman, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, and Emmylou Harris among others.

T-201. Wynton Marsalis (49 points)

Average song score: 2.69

# of 4-point songs: 5 (Autumn Leaves, live; Chambers of Tain, live; Delfeayo’s Dilemma, live; Knozz-Moe-King, live; Skain’s Domain, live)

Recommended listening: Chambers of Tain, live; Cherokee, live; Jig’s Jig, live; Knozz-Moe-King, live; Root Groove;

Wynton Marsalis is the second greatest trumpet player I’ve ever heard (I assume it is obvious who is first). We have already encountered Marsalis earlier in the countdown playing with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. This entry comprises his various small groups, which I think I like better. Marsalis is interesting because he is much more of a jazz traditionalist than most of the other jazz artists on the list, and generally did not embrace most of the fusion stuff. But I still love his work. If you want to hear really great straight jazz, check out the Live at Blues Alley album.

T-198. Duane Allman (50 points)

Total number of songs: 3

Average song score: 3.0

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Goin’ Down Slow)

Personnel bonus: #1 guitarist Duane Allman (partial bonus)

Recommended listening: Goin’ Down Slow; Happily Married Man; No Money Down; The Road of Love; Sick and Tired; What’d I Say

Skydog’s entry was a hard one. Anyone who has read any of my posts probably realizes he is my favorite guitarist ever (and is one of my two favorite musicians). His solo career is pretty limited though, with only three songs officially released under his own name. “Goin’ Down Slow” is the best of these.

He also was a prolific session guitarist at FAME studios and played on a ton of great tracks like Wilson Pickett’s “Hey Jude” and Aretha Franklin’s “It Ain’t Fair.” But I have already highlighted those elsewhere and didn’t want to just repeat them here. I also didn’t want this entry to be about any of his other bands that are featured elsewhere in the countdown (The Allman Brothers Band, Derek and the Dominos, The Hour Glass, etc.).

So only the three songs released under his name contributed to the point total here, and then he got a partial personnel bonus from my favorite guitarist list which brings us up to the 50 point total. I think the partial bonus does a nice job capturing the value I place on his work outside of the bands I mentioned. So ultimately, I think this is a good point total for Duane’s solo work. I just arrived at it in a roundabout way.

The recommended listening selections are a combination of his solo releases and some tracks he recorded with other artists that I am not otherwise highlighting in the countdown.

In the ABB thread I posted a quote from Guitar World that is my favorite description of Duane’s playing: “Through his studio work, Duane had developed a great sense of rhythm as well as a keen understanding of economy, in terms of phrasing. This understanding resulted in improvised solos that remained cohesive and conversational no matter how long they stretched out or how far they roamed from the original starting point.”

Long live Skydog.

T-198. J.J. Cale (50 points)

Average song score: 3.07

# of 5-point songs: 2 (Bring Down the Curtain; Ride Me High)

# of 4-point songs: 3 (Crazy Mama; Down to Memphis; Travelin’ Light)

Recommended listening: Bring Down the Curtain; Crazy Mama; Cajun Moon;

Arguably the most important artist of the “Tulsa sound” genre of Americana (though not necessarily my favorite as a couple of other artists from that genre are still to come), J.J. Cale is one of America’s great song writers. Many know him as the composer of “After Midnight” and “Cocaine,” both made famous by Eric Clapton, and “Call Me the Breeze,” which has been recorded by Lynyrd Skynyrd among others. The rest of his catalog is just as good. Two of his songs, “Ride Me High” and “Travelin’ Light” are frequently performed by one of my favorite bands, Widespread Panic. Roll On is probably my favorite album of his. His collaboration with Eric Clapton, The Road to Escondido, is also great.

T-198. John Lee Hooker (50 points)

Average song score: 2.41

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Boogie Chillen; Dimples)

Recommended listening: Boom Boom; Crawlin’ Kingsnake; Dimples; Frisco Blues; Queen Bee; Whiskey and Wimmen

I clearly need more songs by John Lee Hooker in my library because even this very respectable ranking in the top 200 seems way too low for such a legend. A master of multiple styles of blues, Hooker is one of the most important musicians in the transition from delta to electric blues. I already mentioned his famous version of “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.” His most important song is “Boogie Chillen” which is said to contain “the riff that launched a million songs.”

My personal favorite is “Dimples,” which as explained here was covered by the Allman Brothers Band in a much-loved track that is one of just a few recordings with Duane Allman singing lead vocals.

Last edited:
T-193. Charley Patton (51 points)

Total number of songs: 52

Average song score: 1.46

Recommended listening: Dry Well Blues; Some Summer Day; A Spoonful Blues; Stone Pony Blues

The Father of the Delta Blues, Charley Patton is arguably one of the most important musicians in American history. Preceding even Robert Johnson, he is truly at the roots of our modern music.

Many later blues standards are adaptations of songs originally recorded by Patton. The music is great. Patton has a strong voice and a lot of these tracks contain some fairly intricate guitar work. Unfortunately, given the technology of the time, the sound quality on most of his catalog is quite poor, which is why most of his songs tend to have lower point scores. He is still definitely worth checking out.

Two additional musicians deserve mention along with him. He recorded many songs with his common-law wife, Bertha Lee. His other recording partner was guitarist Willie Brown who was well known as a mentor of Robert Johnson. Johnson famously references Brown in “Cross Road Blues” – “You can run, you can fun, tell my friend boy Willie Brown.”

T-193. Cowboy (51 points)

# of 4-point songs: 6 (All My Friends; Honey Ain’t Nowhere; Please Be With Me; Rip and Snort; Song of Love and Peace; Use Your Situation)

Recommended listening: All My Friends; Please Be With Me; Rip and Snort; Song of Love and Peace

Purported to be one of Duane Allman’s favorite bands, Cowboy was essentially Capricorn’s house band in the early 1970’s. They supported artists like The Allman Brothers Band, Wet Willie, and Gregg Allman both in the studio and on tour. Led by the songwriting duo of Scott Boyer and Tommy Talton, they also put out several albums of outstanding original material. Scott Boyer had previously played with Gregg and Duane in The 31st of February. Later in his career he encouraged the songwriting of another young country rocker, Jason Isbell.

Cowboy is some of the best country rock you will ever hear. They capture the essence of bands like The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, but in my opinion are better. That’s Duane playing dobro on the beautiful “Please Be With Me,” a song later covered by Eric Clapton. “All My Friends” is another beautiful tune that was famously covered by Gregg Allman on his first solo album, and became one of his signature songs.

T-193. Fenton Robinson (51 points)

Average song score: 3.45

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Help Me, live)

# of 4-point songs: 4 (Ghetto Train, live; Going to Chicago/I’m Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town, live; Night Flight, live; Somebody Loan Me a Dime; Stormy Monday, live)

Recommended listening: Going to Chicago; I Hear Some Blues Downstairs; You Don’t Know What Love Is

The best blues musician you have never heard of (I know some of the people reading this thread have, but he certainly isn’t a household name), Fenton Robinson wrote one of the greatest blues songs of all-time. His version of that song is not the definitive version, though, so I’ll talk more about that during a later entry. He also played guitar on the original version of this song that another blues musician later made famous.

It just astounds me that this guy doesn’t get more props. His guitar playing is so interesting, he nearly got a personnel bonus for my guitarist list. If you aren’t familiar with him, check him out immediately. This live album is a great place to start.

T-193. Nirvana (51 points)

Average song score: 2.76

# of 5-point songs: 1 (Where Did You Sleep Last Night, unplugged)

# of 4-point songs: 3 (About a Girl, live; All Apologies; All Apologies, unplugged)

Personnel bonus: #20 drummer Dave Grohl

Recommended listening: About a Girl, live; In Bloom; Lithium; Sliver; Where Did You Sleep Last Night, unplugged

Here comes the grunge. We have already had countdown appearances by Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. Now we have two of the other major 1990’s grunge bands in the 51-point entry. And despite the fact that the last of the “big five” grunge bands is still to come, these two would rank as the top two in my gut rankings.

Nevermind was the first album I ever bought, so Nirvana will always be a sentimental favorite for me. Sometimes I go for a while without listening to them, though, and I forget that they are a really good band with a lot of really good songs. Sure, the guitar work might not be on the same level as many of the other bands on the countdown, but they did have a lot of really interesting riffs and when you combine that with Dave Grohl’s drumming (for which they did get a personnel bonus), you already have a really solid band. Add Kurt’s authentic vocals and you have something special.

“Where Did You Sleep Last Night?” is one of my top 10 favorite vocal performances in all of music. It’s so powerful that decades after first hearing it, I still get a visceral reaction whenever I hear it. The story about buying Lead Belly’s guitar is also awesome. Though Kurt was mistaken here as Lead Belly famously recorded “In the Pines,” one of many titles of this song, but the song is much, much older even than his version and several artists recorded it before him.

T-193. Stone Temple Pilots (51 points)

Average song score: 3.13

# of 5-point songs: 4 (Big Empty, unplugged; Interstate Love Song; Plush; Plush, acoustic)

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Trippin’ on a Hole in a Paper Heart; Wicked Garden, live)

Recommended listening: Big Empty; Daisy; Down; Lady Picture Show; Plush, acoustic; Sex Type Thing

When I graduated from grade school we had to name our favorite band for a yearbook-type thing and I said Stone Temple Pilots. While a number of other bands have taken that top spot over the years, STP remains my favorite of the big grunge bands.

Kurt’s performance on “Where Did You Sleep Last Night?” might be one of my favorite tracks, but overall Scott Weiland is my favorite of the grunge vocalists and he just missed out on a personnel bonus. STP also has my favorite guitar work of the grunge bands with some really interesting chord progressions and an all-time great guitar solo in “Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart.”

Fishin In The Dark by Nitty Gritty is a good one

Yeah I know that is one of their most-beloved songs and I get why people love it. When I think about all the components to the song their is a lot to like. But I always listen to it and really want to love it and there is just something about it that I find slightly annoying. Sorry, I know that is incredibly vague and I don't know how to explain it really. I thought it was one of those things that maybe the studio version just had a little too much of a pop flavor to it, but when played live it would be awesome. There are countless songs over the years that I feel that is the case. But even after listening to a bunch of live versions I just can't get into it. Glad you love it though.

“Where Did You Sleep Last Night?” is one of my top 10 favorite vocal performances in all of music. It’s so powerful that decades after first hearing it, I still get a visceral reaction whenever I hear it.

Same. It is borne from the rawest emotions and elicits the same in me whenever I hear it.

It's Kurt's death rattle, basically.

Probably won't get to an entry today because I had a bunch of stuff come up at work but should be able to get through a number of rounds this weekend.

We are getting pretty far through the countdown so that reminds me, if you want to participate in the charity contest, send me your guess as to my top 10 artists and the point total for the #1 artist

T-191. Keith Richards and the X-Pensive Winos (52 points)

Average song score: 2.95

# of 4-point songs: 2 (Happy, live; I Could Have Stood You Up, live)

Recommended listening: Big Enough, live; I Could Have Stood You Up, live; Rockawhile, live

Obviously, everyone knows Keith Richards, the man who according to Rolling Stone created "rock's greatest single body of riffs.” The X-pensive Winos are a side project Keith formed in the late 1980’s. The lineup surrounding Keith is impressive and includes Steve Jordan (recommended as a drummer by Charlie Watts himself), Waddy Wachtel, and long-time Rolling Stones collaborator Bobby Keys.

The Winos play a variety of covers, Rolling Stones material, and other Keith originals. While I like Keith’s vocals in the right setting, I am not a big enough fan that I desire to listen to him sing for an entire album or concert which probably brings down the point total here a little. Still, there is a lot of interesting stuff in their catalog with some funky material as well as songs that just plain rock. They are definitely worth checking out.

Of note I did not give Keith a personnel bonus here. He is on the personnel bonus list as a songwriter but paired with Mick. It seemed too complicated to separate Keith out for a separate songwriter entry here. Between that and the relatively low number of songs I have from this group, I decided to keep all that songwriting bonus with The Rolling Stones.

T-191. Leonard Cohen (52 points)

Total number of songs: 26

Average song score: 2.00

Recommended listening: Bird on a Wire; Famous Blue Raincoat; I Tried to Leave You, live; Who By Fire, live

This ranking seems a little high for me. Leonard Cohen isn’t really my style, and I don’t love his voice as much as some do. Still, he was a great songwriter and he played with some really talented musicians around him. The guitar on the above versions of both “I Tried to Leave You” and “Who By Fire” is awesome.

I’m not going to talk about his most famous song. It’s a fine song, but has been analyzed to death, so I don’t feel the need to comment on it. Actually, I’m not a huge fan of some of his more popular songs like “Suzanne.” I do think “Bird on a Wire” is a beautiful tune, though. I already mentioned the Johnny Cash cover of it. Even better is when the Tedeschi Trucks band do it.

Users who are viewing this thread