What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Latest TO news (1 Viewer)

Deranged Hermit

Not cool & Pissed
In Terrell Owens' endless search for a loophole to go to Philly, he is refusing to show up for his physical with the Ravens according to WIP sports radio. Apparently he has 72 hours to comply, but he is not expected to show up anytime soon.No word as to whether or not the failure to pass a physical would void the deal, but he sure is making things hard for the Ravens....

The NFLPA has filed a 'master blah blah' which is not a grienvence since it uses a judge instead of an arbitrator. They are looking to make TO a FA.TO will become a FA and sign with the Eagles.

Is there a bigger ####in BABY in the league than this guy What a clown, Ive lost ALL respect for him :wall: :thumbdown:

:rotflmao: I hope he has to stay with the Ravens and totally screw their season up. What a wuss. The Ravens have to be bummin about this.

I don't remember Boller being terribly accurate in college(something like 55%) so I can't imagine Owens thinking this guy is a step up from Garcia, who he was already upset with.

I would sure hate to be in TO's shoes when Philly faces Baltimore.......He will have a bullseye SO big, that the mascot and waterboys will be waiting in line to tee off on him.. :rotflmao:

TO deserves the piling on but let's not just exonerate the 49ers who stooped right down there with him.

I have no idea if the NFLPA has any case at all, but if they win their case, how funny will it be to see SF end up with nothing after all.

I have no idea if the NFLPA has any case at all, but if they win their case, how funny will it be to see SF end up with nothing after all.
The case is that TO had publiclly made it known he wanted to void his contract and the paperwork was a fomality. In addition the issue with FAX vs email for notification.

The case is that TO had publiclly made it known he wanted to void his contract and the paperwork was a fomality. In addition the issue with FAX vs email for notification.
JAA,I know what the NFLPA is claiming. What I meant to say was, I have no idea whether legally they have a leg to stand on, but we'll see. Definitely one of the most interesting offseasons in recent memory though! :thumbup:

Is there a bigger ####in BABY in the league than this guy What a clown, Ive lost ALL respect for him :wall: :thumbdown:
Alright, let's take a step back here for a minute. TO has a reputation and he's earned it. But remember that this is/was his one and only chance for a big FA payday. Its what all NFL players play for. Could I live on 5mil a year? Probably. But all the players wait for their day and TO's was *supposed* to be now. Is he handling it with class a dignity? Ha! :no: But let's give the NFL, the NFLPA, and the courts time to determine if he is entitled to become a FA. It sounds as though he has SOME leagal ground to stand on, so let's not stoop to calling him names.

I wonder...if T.O. gets his contract voided, would that also mean that Dennis Northcutt would as well? Quite frankly, if T.O.'s contract say he has until March 2 to void his contract, how can the NFLPA and the NFL change that? Only the SF 49ers and T.O (the parties to the contract) would be able to change that. Another thing...something as important as a changing the date of voiding a contract should require more than just a fax. You would think, the NFLPA and teh NFL would require someone to sign for it, or at the least acknowledge receipt of the fax. A fax confirmation doesn't mean a thing, the content of the alleged fax confirmation coulda been Gene Upshaw's grocery list.

:rotflmao: I hope he has to stay with the Ravens and totally screw their season up. What a wuss. The Ravens have to be bummin about this.
I want to see the butt-kickin' Ray Lewis gives him next time they meet.

JAA,I know what the NFLPA is claiming. What I meant to say was, I have no idea whether legally they have a leg to stand on, but we'll see. Definitely one of the most interesting offseasons in recent memory though! :thumbup:
Ya know, I am a stickler for rules, but seriosuly everyone and their grandmother knew he was going to file the papers. It is not like he was trying to be shifty about it, or work both sides of a deal.IMO it is an open an shut case. Rule stickling aside ...

To all those who think Ray Lewis will keep Owens in line please read this:http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...sports-football

The good stuff will happen inside the huddle and in the locker room. Some fans believe that Ray Lewis and head coach Brian Billick will be able to control Owens. Forget it. No one can handle Owens. Lewis didn't handle Brown last season when he went after offensive line coach Jim Colletto in a Miami locker room. Lewis didn't control Brown when he pushed former Tennessee defensive end Jevon Kearse in the AFC playoff game.As for Billick, he can't do too much with Owens. Billick can intimidate young players, but no one puts fear into NFL veterans. Notice Billick didn't exactly get in Brown's face on the sidelines during the Tennessee game.The key moments will come inside the huddle when Brown is having an expletive-laced tirade, and Owens is screaming for the ball. Tight end Todd Heap, who needed two couch therapy sessions with Billick last year to restore confidence, could be sulking if he feels left out again while Jamal Lewis is demanding the football by screaming through quarterback Kyle Boller's earhole.
I don't blame T.O., I would want to play for the Eagles too...their the greatest team in the NFL right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, I just heard John Clayton on ESPN radio and he thinks T.O. has virtually no chance to overturn his contract or the trade to Baltimore.Cheers! :banned: :banned: :banned:

My gut tells me Owens will end up a FA and then sign with Philly (assuming Philly hasn't changed its mind by then and gone in a different direction). The reason my gut tells me this is that I didn't think Upshaw or the NFLPA would take Owens case to the league a couple of days ago -- they were insisting that TO and his questionable agent had been duly notified. Now, there appears to be some uncertainty about whether proper procedures were followed. There may also be an argument that TO had effectively notified the 49ers he was voiding his contract by publicly stating on a number of occasions that he did not intend to return and would pursue his FA options.All I can hope as an Owens owner is that he reads and hears how he has turned off so many people about his behaviour (although I think I understand why he has reacted as he has (he expected to be a FA, someone else goofed (his agent), SF sort of pulled the rug from his expected trade to Philly...)). I am not going to defend the guy. I like the energy and some of entertainment value he brings to the game -- I thought the Sharpie thing was hilarious albeit unprofessional. But if he realizes the world hates his behaviour and attitude through this whole mess, maybe he will focus even more on his game and prove that he is worth all this trouble to the team that ends up with him -- Philly or whomever -- and score 15 TD's this season.I also own Jamal Lewis, so don't really want him on the Ravens (they would cannibalize each other's production). What a freakin' weird offseason...

Ok, lets just give TO this one, let him go to Philly, so he'll hopefully just shut his mouth.I bet in a year he'll be crying about how Donovan McNabb doesn't throw very accurately and will want to play for a quaterback who's accurate :rotflmao:

For what it's worth, I just heard John Clayton on ESPN radio and he thinks T.O. has virtually no chance to overturn his contract or the trade to Baltimore.Cheers! :banned: :banned: :banned:
I heard that too. It was a couple of days ago when I heard it -- which was before the recent story that Upshaw is bringing the special masters case and the recent revelation that the NFLPA normally does not communicate with agents by fax.In any event, it will be an uphill battle.

Alright, let's take a step back here for a minute. TO has a reputation and he's earned it. But remember that this is/was his one and only chance for a big FA payday. Its what all NFL players play for. Could I live on 5mil a year? Probably. But all the players wait for their day and TO's was *supposed* to be now. Is he handling it with class a dignity? Ha! :no: But let's give the NFL, the NFLPA, and the courts time to determine if he is entitled to become a FA. It sounds as though he has SOME leagal ground to stand on, so let's not stoop to calling him names.
Let's see. Owens was drafted in 1996. His current contract goes to 2006. So he signed an 11 year rookie contract that contains a $5.3M salary in year 9? I don't think so. I looks like Owens already had a big payday in 1999. I don't think he is starving.

My gut tells me Owens will end up a FA and then sign with Philly (assuming Philly hasn't changed its mind by then and gone in a different direction).
Any chance that all of TO's actions will change Philly's mind? I believe they like team players there and TO is looking like a really pain in the butt.

Owens Will Not Report for Physical

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, March 8, 2004

Wide receiver Terrell Owens apparently plans to test the Baltimore Ravens' resolve to keep him by refusing to show up for a physical that would complete the deal that sent him from the San Francisco 49ers last week. But the Ravens have no plans to void the trade even if Owens doesn't show up, team officials said yesterday.

Kevin Byrne, the club's vice president of public and community relations, said the Ravens "don't have a deadline" for Owens to undergo a physical, and Coach Brian Billick said: "We can waive the physical if we want, and he has been cleared and declared healthy by the 49ers' doctors."

The effort to undo Thursday's trade, in which the Ravens sent a second-round selection in April's draft to the 49ers for the four-time Pro Bowl wideout, is taking place on two fronts. The NFL Players Association will seek to have special master Stephen B. Burbank, who is in charge of settling disputes arising from the collective bargaining agreement between owners and players, nullify the trade and void the final three seasons of Owens's contract, making him an unrestricted free agent.

Owens, meantime, will refuse to undergo a physical for the Ravens, a source familiar with his planning said over the weekend. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity, citing the volatility of the situation and the prospect that the case will end up before Burbank in a trial-like proceeding.

Since all NFL trades are contingent upon the player passing a physical for his new team, the Ravens perhaps would have the option of voiding the trade if Owens does not show up. Club officials originally had hoped for Owens to show up by today for the physical. Those in Owens's camp wonder whether the Ravens eventually might tire of the conflict and seek to have the trade revoked and their second-round draft pick returned.

But Billick said, "We have been told by the league that we have a valid trade, and it would be very surprising to me if it is overturned. We're just going to sit tight and play this out, and then do what the league wants us to do. . . . It gets frustrating, yes. But we would very much like to have him be part of this team. I think that once there's a resolution to this, he would find this to be a very good place for him. "

There apparently was no breakthrough yesterday in deliberations between Gene Upshaw, the executive director of the Players Association, and Harold Henderson, the chairman of the NFL's Management Council, about resolving the dispute. Upshaw said Saturday that, barring a resolution with Henderson, the union would file a special-master case early this week seeking to have Owens declared a free agent.

The union would contend to Burbank, according to a source, that Owens should be declared a free agent because he and the 49ers intended for him to leave the club via free agency this offseason by Owens exercising a clause in his contract to void the deal's remaining three seasons.

But that didn't happen because Owens and his agent, David Joseph, missed a Feb. 21 deadline for filing the paperwork necessary to void those three seasons.
Link

and you really think the fact that it was a "formality" is enough to get the job done?rules are rules, they weren't filed in time. if a judge tells me to be in court at 9:00 and I end up bein 20 minutes late but I previously said I was going to be there on time...and then tried to get around it by saying my wanting to be there was a "formality", he'd throw me on the street.

To everyone who says that since he stated publicly that he wanted to be a free agent and leave the 49'ers, that means absolutely nothing.Anyone remember about 5 years ago with Corey Dillon. He was sick of losing, publicly stated many times that he couldn't wait to be a free agent and get away from Cincy and their losing ways.Cincy flashed a big $number in front of his face and gee, Cincy wasn't too bad of a place to play.Granted the two situations are different in many ways. But just because something is said "publicly" means absolutely diddly-squat. Actions are what matter.

Why did TO wait until he was traded to the Ravens to kick up a stink about filing the papers? The NFL catered to his situation and I heard nothing about TO filing for a grievance until he was traded to a team he wasn't so high on going to. Seems fishy to me. I hope there is some way around this to screw him. San Fran makes a trade to Baltimore to compensate them for their 2nd round pick and just let TO holdout all he wants. The NFL can't stand for this.

I don't like TO anymore than most of you but you have to admit he got screwed by his agent. Losing 15-20mill because of a clerical error would infuriate anyone even Bill Gates. So can we stop calling TO a baby because he is not just going along with what the niners and ravens want?You'd have to be an idiot not to make all attempts, no matter how feable they are, to gain your FA status.

I think that if he is allowed to "undo" this whole thing, he will not go to philly. Everyone should have a shot at him, including SF.

What do the Raven fans think about this now?Do you want this guy on your team?
Trust me, the first time he shreds the Steelers swiss cheese secondary for 155 yards and a TD (like he did last year as a 49er), all this will be forgotten.Bottom line - TO's trying to become a free agent. When that fails, he'll come to Baltimore and all will be forgiven.

To everyone who says that since he stated publicly that he wanted to be a free agent and leave the 49'ers, that means absolutely nothing.
I've heard several lawyers on several sports stations declare that the opposite is true. No one had any doubt that Owens wanted to leave and SF was giddy to see him go. The fact that it was such public knowledge should be enough according to them.

Trust me, the first time he shreds the Steelers swiss cheese secondary for 155 yards and a TD (like he did last year as a 49er), all this will be forgotten.Bottom line - TO's trying to become a free agent. When that fails, he'll come to Baltimore and all will be forgiven.
:rolleyes:

Stop obsessing over the TO situation, Bitter Browns Fan. Jamal Lewis will continue to run roughshod over your team, with or without him.But for the record, sounds like TO is beginning the process of smoothing things over with Baltimore:"I'm going to fight it to the end until I can't fight it anymore," Owens said in an interview yesterday with WCAU-TV, the NBC affiliate in Philadelphia. "This is not to disrespect the Ravens organization by any means. I just want a fair shot at my free agency."If it comes down to the point where I can't win, I'll be a Raven."

Trust me, the first time he shreds the Steelers swiss cheese secondary for 155 yards and a TD (like he did last year as a 49er), all this will be forgotten.

Bottom line - TO's trying to become a free agent. When that fails, he'll come to Baltimore and all will be forgiven.
Uh, I don't think so! :yucky:

"If it comes down to the point where I can't win, I'll be a Raven," Owens said. Edit to add kffl as source. Owens sees the writing on the wall and is already preparing for the inevitable. He isnt mad at the Ravens, and the fans will understand that so long as when he finally does report, he comes correct. With the stability in that organization, the transition will be fine once Bmore makes the offer to restructure his deal. Owens is mad at himself, his agent and the world - he should also be angry at Philly for offering such a pathetic offer. Philly basically does NOT want this guy, if only he would recognize that.

LOFL at Boller getting TO the passes that Garcia did last year.

Baltimore Sun Article

But the Ravens, who dealt a second-round pick in exchange for Owens, are confident the trade will not be overturned after talking with league officials. According to a league source, the union's efforts have little chance of succeeding since it will concede that Owens' agent made a mistake by failing to file the paperwork in time to make him an unrestricted free agent.
Isn't that a bit like "Your Honor, I would like to concede that someone else screwed up."? The real issue is whether the union effectively notified Owens that they (the union) had modified the terms of his contract to change the date by which he had to file for free agency, isn't it? I think the only way the NFLPA can make a case for Owens is by saying they (the NFLPA) screwed up, and they are certainly not saying that.

Or stuck with TO again. If TO skips his physical, does that void the trade? Whos property is he then? Would he go back to SF? If he does, SF doesn't HAVE to trade him. Laughable situation.

I don't remember Boller being terribly accurate in college(something like 55%) so I can't imagine Owens thinking this guy is a step up from Garcia, who he was already upset with.
As opposed to McNabb (who TO WANTS to play with) who has a 57.0% Pro career average?

Or stuck with TO again. If TO skips his physical, does that void the trade? Whos property is he then? Would he go back to SF? If he does, SF doesn't HAVE to trade him. Laughable situation.
If he skips the physical, I think Balt can either sign a waiver that they don't need the physical, or void the trade.

If he skips the physical, I think Balt can either sign a waiver that they don't need the physical, or void the trade.
Bal has said they will not void the trade for him missing his physical

I don't like TO anymore than most of you but you have to admit he got screwed by his agent. Losing 15-20mill because of a clerical error would infuriate anyone even Bill Gates. So can we stop calling TO a baby because he is not just going along with what the niners and ravens want?
Yes he got screwed by his agent.The problem is he's trying to blame this on everyone else, and not his agent. Your agent represents you and when he screws up you should live with his screwup and TO refuses to do that.

This is the same whining that he's been spewing for years? All kinds of problems happen around this guy and it's just never his fault (or by extension, his agent's fault).

I respect his will to win, but I he just does NOT understand the word team, and he doesn't understand how to take responsibility for his own mistakes, and for those reasons I would not want him on my team.

"We faxed the notice to T.O.'s agent on Feb. 10," Upshaw told The New York Times on Thursday. "We have confirmation of the note. ... I'm not going to sit around and take the blame for a mistake (Joseph) made."

But now, the union is set to support Owens. An unidentified source told the Post the NFLPA will concede that Joseph erred in not filing the paperwork in time to make Owens a free agent. The source said the union will ask that Owens be declared a free agent because his desire to leave the 49ers has long been public knowledge.
According to the Post, Upshaw is hoping to negotiate a compromise with the NFL before visiting the league's special master, Stephen B. Burbank, a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania, who is in charge of settling disputes regarding the NFL's collective bargaining agreement.
linkIm only going to comment on the first quote ;) What I dont understand is why the NFLPA is taking the 180 on supporting Owens. I really think they relized the ####ed up and need to remedy the siatuation.

FWIW - Owens is posteruring himself to be a Raven, but I think it is still going to be decided TO is a FA

Eagle homer,

JAA

Users who are viewing this thread