What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Laurence Maroney (1 Viewer)

Noahs Troopers

Footballguy
How about some projections for 2006 and 2007?

How much value in this years rookie draft does Maroney have?

I never thought about the Patriots taking Maroney, is he a good fit with the offense?

How about some projections for 2006 and 2007?

How much value in this years rookie draft does Maroney have?

I never thought about the Patriots taking Maroney, is he a good fit with the offense?
2006 He a backup to Dillon. Gets some carries as the season wears on.100 carries 450 yards 3 TDs

I think Maroney is a good fit in any offense. He is a pure runner.

It's a solid combination. I don't think he's superstar material, but he's a likely top 15 RB in future seasons. My guess is that he'll be starting in 2007. Given New England's track record of evaluating talent and the fact that Maroney is arguably the 2nd best back in this class, I think he's a clear top 3 rookie pick.

He is a star in the making. He's put on size without sacrificing speed and can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

The whole "bad hands" thing is overrated as the MN Gopher offense didn't throw much to the backs.

I think the Pats got a winner there. Big time.

Info from Boston.com

Maroney's fit

Whether Laurence Maroney is the right pick for the Patriots at No. 21 will be determined over time. But here are some of the factors that probably led the team to the decision.

Starting running back Corey Dillon turns 32 on Oct. 24.

Change-of-pace running back Kevin Faulk turns 31 on June 5.

Third-string running back Patrick Pass is 28.

Simply put, the team is long in the tooth at the running back position and the 21-year-old Maroney, who took a pre-draft visit to Gillette Stadium, injects some youth to the position.

Expect Patriots coach Bill Belichick to mention the word "production" when speaking of the 5-foot-11, 211-pound Maroney, who was one of the bigger backs in the draft. Some of the key stats:

* Started 14 of 36 games and rushed for more than 1,000 yards in each of his first three seasons.

* Ranks second in the Minnesota record books with 3,933 yards and 32 touchdowns on 660 rushing attempts.

* In 710 plays, totaled 4,797 all-purpose yards, the second-best total in school history.

On NFLNetwork BB said they've liked him since they were scouting Marion Barber last year

Good pick for where the Pat's were at in the draft. I don't see him over taking Dillon in 06, but down the road he will help N.E. Will never be a NFL Superstar RB, but can be a between 15-20 rated RB in the NFL. I watched him play alot of games in MN, and he is a hard worker, and will behave off the field.

It's a solid combination. I don't think he's superstar material, but he's a likely top 15 RB in future seasons. My guess is that he'll be starting in 2007. Given New England's track record of evaluating talent and the fact that Maroney is arguably the 2nd best back in this class, I think he's a clear top 3 rookie pick.
I think he's arguably the 1st best back in this class. Shanahan, the man himself, has gone on record saying that in a couple of years he firmly believes that Maroney could be the best RB in the NFL. If Denver hadn't traded up for Cutler, I can practically guarantee that they would have snagged Maroney with the 15th pick this year.

I think he's arguably the 1st best back in this class. Shanahan, the man himself, has gone on record saying that in a couple of years he firmly believes that Maroney could be the best RB in the NFL. If Denver hadn't traded up for Cutler, I can practically guarantee that they would have snagged Maroney with the 15th pick this year.
I don't think he's in the same league as Reggie Bush, but you can make a strong case for him over any of the other backs in this class.Shanahan's endorsement is certainly nice to hear, but let's remember that this is the same guy who predicted greatness for Kevan Barlow. Just because he finds guys who fit his system doesn't make him the all-knowing RB guru.

Why would they "waste" a first rounder on a RB when they can plug in an undrafted FA? They have the RB friendly system and the egos to go along with it. Can't see Shanahan ever using an early pick on a RB.

Why would they "waste" a first rounder on a RB when they can plug in an undrafted FA? They have the RB friendly system and the egos to go along with it. Can't see Shanahan ever using an early pick on a RB.
drafted Clinton Portis unless when you say early you only mean 1st round

Also T. Bell. (in the second)

Maybe it was just me, but I wasn't overly impressed by the way Dillon ran lasst night. And in the end he got up and left the field obviously hurting. I don't think the kness are working well. I don't see Dillon making it 1/2 way through the season.

Having said that I could see Maroney with 900 tards and 7 TDs, and a starting role going into next year. He impressed me more than any rookie RB so far this year (I'm waiting to see Bush tonight). He has the size, the moves and the speed to be a top 10 RB.

Maybe it was just me, but I wasn't overly impressed by the way Dillon ran lasst night. And in the end he got up and left the field obviously hurting. I don't think the kness are working well. I don't see Dillon making it 1/2 way through the season.Having said that I could see Maroney with 900 tards and 7 TDs, and a starting role going into next year. He impressed me more than any rookie RB so far this year (I'm waiting to see Bush tonight). He has the size, the moves and the speed to be a top 10 RB.
I actually thought Dillon ran with a lot of power. When he left the game, he was moving his shoulder around. Considering it's week 1 of the pre-season, he could've been removed for a large spectrum of possible injuries, and most of them are not serious ones.I do think, however, that Maroney will get his carries this season, and I may downgrade Dillon for that.

Didn't Shanahan say Barlow was the best back in that draft as well? Also, Maroney can't hold Bush's jock. And I like Maroney. But he doesn't have the proprioception of Bush.

Didn't Shanahan say Barlow was the best back in that draft as well? Also, Maroney can't hold Bush's jock. And I like Maroney. But he doesn't have the proprioception of Bush.
It's not even 9am and already I have learned a new word. I can rest for the remainder of the day :banned:

shhhhhhh.. he is being taken as the 39th RB currently.

He has a Very good chance to be a top 15..

Dillon is old and Maroney showed too much last night and, from what I've read, in camp to be a forgotten player.

I would not be surprised to see him be the starting RB before week 4.

So please

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

;)

Also T. Bell. (in the second)
With Portis though, he had a first round grade and fell to the second which was great value. Tatum Bell was a reach at the time and I think Shanny regrets the pick at this point. I think he's learned from his mistake and won't take a back high again unless it's great value.

I actually thought Dillon ran with a lot of power. When he left the game, he was moving his shoulder around. Considering it's week 1 of the pre-season, he could've been removed for a large spectrum of possible injuries, and most of them are not serious ones.I do think, however, that Maroney will get his carries this season, and I may downgrade Dillon for that.
:goodposting: I still think Dillon is the man in NE until injured. If you are predicting an injury for Dillon, by all means draft Maroney. People on this board are WAY to excited about rookies this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
And didn't Shanahan Draft Clarett and name Dayne the #1 RB before preseason and trade away Clinton Portis. Shanny gets way to much credit for knowing RB talent. He has a great system for rbs to succeed but doesn't seem to have a clue which rbs have the most talent.

:goodposting: I still think Dillon is the man in NE until injured. If you are predicting an injury for Dillon, by all means draft Maroney. People on this board are WAY to excited about rookies this year.
Coach B does what it takes to win....there is no clear cut starting WR with the Pats...do you think Bill would not do the same with the RBs if it means winning? Someone said Bill will stay loyal to Cory....Bill will stay loyal to winning, plain and simple. He won't keep Maroney off the field if it helps the game. I think you are going to see a lot more of the running game this season.

Coach B does what it takes to win....there is no clear cut starting WR with the Pats...do you think Bill would not do the same with the RBs if it means winning? Someone said Bill will stay loyal to Cory....Bill will stay loyal to winning, plain and simple. He won't keep Maroney off the field if it helps the game. I think you are going to see a lot more of the running game this season.
He looked great last night. Which in turn now means he and Dillon are nothing more than 4th or 5th round picks because they will be splitting carries.

As a Pats fan who absolutely loved Maroney coming out of college I was elated when they drafted him. I was also shocked, figured they would go defense (Lawson). After last night I am even happier. The key to Maroney getting alot of playing time will be his ability to pick up the blitz. If you look at the tapes from last night he did an outstsanding job of doing just that. Like nerangers posted BB won't hesitate for a second to give Maroney the #1 job if he feels he's capable. Dillon to me looked like he was hurting and I ? whether he makes it thru 16 weeks. I still think he has enough talent to get it done but I think his body is wearing down fast. His wheels may be falling off. I see Maroney as the #1 rb and Dillon in the mix if he's still standing as the season unfolds. The Pats will also use other backs like Faulk quite a bit and the Cobbs kid looked pretty good as well.

He looked great last night. Which in turn now means he and Dillon are nothing more than 4th or 5th round picks because they will be splitting carries.
Dillon looked good too. He may not have had the burst that Maroney had, but he hit the hole with authority and gained positive yardage. he looked like he was running with a chip on his shoulder to me.

Hey Thumper,I would love for you to elaborate on this a bit. Frankly nothing we saw last night says one way or another what Belichick has planned. If Dillon is healthy, it wouldn't be out of character at all for Bill B to use Maroney strictly as a backup. And to that point, if Dillon holds onto the short yardage job (he had 13 TDs last year), he's easily worth a TON more than a 4th or 5th round pick even if he divvies up yardage with Maroney.Please, please, please don't overvalue what you see in the first couple of preseason games; particularly as it relates to projecting playing time and roles. If you were to do that for every player, you would have to logically presume that every starting QB in the NFL is going to play about 5% of the snaps. ;)

Please, please, please don't overvalue what you see in the first couple of preseason games; particularly as it relates to projecting playing time and roles. If you were to do that for every player, you would have to logically presume that every starting QB in the NFL is going to play about 5% of the snaps. ;)
Thank you Jason.

Dillon looked good too. He may not have had the burst that Maroney had, but he hit the hole with authority and gained positive yardage. he looked like he was running with a chip on his shoulder to me.
Fighting for your job will do that. Maroney looked very good last night. He reminds me of Stephen Jackson last year...

Nothing beats seeing a guy on the field. If Reggie Bush looks better than Maroney I'll be surprised. Great pick by the Patriots.

The key to Maroney getting alot of playing time will be his ability to pick up the blitz. If you look at the tapes from last night he did an outstsanding job of doing just that. Like nerangers posted BB won't hesitate for a second to give Maroney the #1 job if he feels he's capable. Dillon to me looked like he was hurting and I ? whether he makes it thru 16 weeks. I still think he has enough talent to get it done but I think his body is wearing down fast. His wheels may be falling off. I see Maroney as the #1 rb and Dillon in the mix if he's still standing as the season unfolds. The Pats will also use other backs like Faulk quite a bit and the Cobbs kid looked pretty good as well.
Agree with you above.Dillon looked fine to me, but doesn't have the burst Maroney does anymore.

Fighting for your job will do that. Maroney looked very good last night. He reminds me of Stephen Jackson last year...
I thought the same exact thing, and it wasn't the hair. He seems to move just like S. Jax.

Dillon is 31, and will be 32 in October. I think we've all seen the analysis that the downward curve for rb's becomes fairly steep after 30. Whether it is injury or lack of explosiveness, the reality is they no longer have it.

I would not be surprised to see Maroney supplant Dillon as the #1, but suspect Dillon may get the short yardage work.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. BB does not draft guys that high and keep them on the bench. He'll play a lot and he'll play very very well.

With Portis though, he had a first round grade and fell to the second which was great value. Tatum Bell was a reach at the time and I think Shanny regrets the pick at this point. I think he's learned from his mistake and won't take a back high again unless it's great value.
You mean like Maurice Clarett? ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

The key here is that in that offense, Maroney needs to demonstrate that he can catch the ball and make yards. We didn't see that last night.

What are the reports out of camp about his receiving skills?

The key here is that in that offense, Maroney needs to demonstrate that he can catch the ball and make yards. We didn't see that last night. What are the reports out of camp about his receiving skills?
Reports have been very positive about his hands. A lot of surprise about how well he catches the ball, since he didn't do it much at Minnesota. Nevertheless, the Pats have been saying that Kevin Faulk will still be their 3rd down guy.

The key here is that in that offense, Maroney needs to demonstrate that he can catch the ball and make yards. We didn't see that last night. What are the reports out of camp about his receiving skills?
I'm not following you here. Neither Dillon nor Antowain Smith were guys who caught the ball and made yards under BB.

Reports have been very positive about his hands. A lot of surprise about how well he catches the ball, since he didn't do it much at Minnesota. Nevertheless, the Pats have been saying that Kevin Faulk will still be their 3rd down guy.
Given how much they like to throw on 1st and 2nd down, that doesn't bother me so much about Faulk. Final question: how well does he know and carry out his blitz pick-up assignments? If he is even passable at that, then Dillon's not long for much more than short yardage and spot relief of Maroney IMHO.

Rookie RBs often have trouble staying healthy in the NFL...as a matter of fact, it takes a very unique human being to be able to carry the ball 250 times at the NFL level and not get injured. Remember it's the exception to avoid injury, not the norm. Use caution when drafting Maroney in redrafts this year, regardless of how good he looks in games.

That being said, Maroney is #2 on my rookie RB dynasty rankings.

Given how much they like to throw on 1st and 2nd down, that doesn't bother me so much about Faulk. Final question: how well does he know and carry out his blitz pick-up assignments? If he is even passable at that, then Dillon's not long for much more than short yardage and spot relief of Maroney IMHO.
So far so good. One play last night, he absolutely destroyed a blitzing linebacker after he was part of a playfake on the opposite side.

Rookie RBs often have trouble staying healthy in the NFL...as a matter of fact, it takes a very unique human being to be able to carry the ball 250 times at the NFL level and not get injured. Remember it's the exception to avoid injury, not the norm. Use caution when drafting Maroney in redrafts this year, regardless of how good he looks in games. That being said, Maroney is #2 on my rookie RB dynasty rankings.
One caveat I would mention is that Maroney carried the ball over 280 times last year, so he showed some ability to handle a load. I know it is not the same as the nfl, but it is still another positive in his corner. The only thing that I noticed looking at his college stats that bothered me was that his ypc average @home and indoors on turf elsewhere was much higher than his ypc in away games on grass. On grass, 3 games 49 carries 167 yards 0 tds for a 3.41 ypc. On turf, 8 games 232 carries 1297 yards 10 tds 5.59 ypc. Last night's game was indoors on turf @ Atlanta. I'm going to watch him run on grass in future preseason games and try to see if there is a noticeable difference or if it was just an anomaly based on his team not playing well away from home.

Good stuff on this thread.

All I know is that Maroney looked special last night running against the (more or less) #1 D unit for Atlanta (which is supposed to be a pretty good defence this season).

I try not to overthink these things in terms of projections. Dillon is in the twilight of his career and Maroney looked special. First round picks see the field. Who would you rather have on your team? Me too.

Users who are viewing this thread