What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

league issue- am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

loose circuits

Footballguy
So my league runs waivers on Thurs night a hour or so before kickoff. I coach an 11U team so we have practice. I have 2 spots open and submit like 17 various blind bids for guys thinking I would get the top 2. When I got an e-mail during practice that 7 guys were added to my team because the rosters were never reduced so I was quite surprised? My commish then drops 5 guys from my roster (get an e-mail about this to). I was a little irritated because my 5 'watch' guys had just come out into the open. By the time I am able to log into my mfl site, there is a bunch of chatter about how I was trying to circumvent the rules and it was a devious act on my part to claim that many people spearheaded by the commish and a few other owners. I fired back at.the commish (who has family issues right now so its understandable that he made a mistake but I did not appreciate him saying my blind bid money wont be refunded. Ive also not been awarded my top 2 selections as I had Junior Hemingway for 2.00 and.somehow ended up with Harry Douglas for 1.00. I'm also not sure if my blind bid money was ever refunded.

So is it abnormal for me to be offended that people accused me of shady behavior when the only reason this happened was that rosters weren't reduced to 35 at cutdown day? Dont most people submit multiple waiver claims? Am I out of bounds here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Roster size should have been cut down & it wouldn't have happened.

I'd be a little upset with the commish getting to pick the 5.

off subject, this is out first year on MFL and so far I am very disappointed. way below expectations. Your Commish should have been in communication with you and/or the league before taking any action. Communication is always the key

off subject, this is out first year on MFL and so far I am very disappointed. way below expectations. Your Commish should have been in communication with you and/or the league before taking any action. Communication is always the key
for the record this has nothing to do with mfl, we have used this software for 5 years. Never had this issue. The commish had changed the roster size on the roster cutdown day but then changed it back to accommodate a trade on that last day. He forgot to change it back. Had some family issues and even gave me his password at one point so I could fix when waivers ran. However, I did not see that rosters were set at 35

If you had every reason to believe that there was a 35 player roster limit, then the site would have prevented you from winning any players beyond the 35.

The transaction report shows the order in which players were awarded. Assuming you had 33 players before waivers, I would have had your team keep the first 2 players awarded to your team and the other 5 returned to the undrafted pool. If those were the 5 the commish dropped then results should be good, apart from accusations. If not, I don't think the commish selecting already rostered players to drop is fair or just.

I still don't understand how this happens. On MFL, you have to specify who you are dropping. If you have made 17 'adds', you have to have 17 'drops'. If you specify the same player in all 17 drops, only one transaction is made. If you don't specify a drop, then it would be possible to get multiple additions, but only if you made those requests in different 'rounds'. If you made requests in only 2 rounds, you should only receive 2 players, regardless of the number of requests you had in each round.

I still don't understand how this happens. On MFL, you have to specify who you are dropping. If you have made 17 'adds', you have to have 17 'drops'. If you specify the same player in all 17 drops, only one transaction is made. If you don't specify a drop, then it would be possible to get multiple additions, but only if you made those requests in different 'rounds'. If you made requests in only 2 rounds, you should only receive 2 players, regardless of the number of requests you had in each round.
You don't have to specify who you are dropping if you are filling already empty roster spots. If I understand right, he's saying in his league the roster limit was temporarily increased and wasn't reset back to 35.

So he had a lot of extra roster spaces which then were filled.

If you don't care which of the players you get particularly, there are a lot of good reasons to not lump all the players together into 2 rounds. Doing so means your bid for a player may not be considered. That is, if you have:

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Then if bidding on Player B processes before Player A, your bid on him won't be seen since it is buried beneath another valid bid. Meaning someone else could get Player B for $1, and then you could still lose Player A to someone else. If instead he puts each player in his own round, then every one of his bids gets considered whenever the given player is processed. But he loses control of preferring one player over another.

For the record, rosters were supposed to be at 30 and they were at 35.

My bids were in order of cash spent so Hemingway was more expensive and higher on my list then Douglas, but somehow in the rage of accusing me of unethical behavior the commish decided to handpick the guys I drop and take my blind bid cash that was spent during this mix up

I dropped "none" because I had an open spot freed up by placing someone on IR so I just dropped Dennis Johnson in an effort not to have to enter all my bids again. Somehow this is viewed as shady behavior eventhough ive done it multiple times before

The commissioner is completely out of line. Your players need to be returned immediately. You reduce your team size by removing the LAST players added to your roster.

Don't threaten to leave yet, but there is no way I'd play in this league if things remain this way. It's ludicrous to say you were trying to circumvent the rules. How? By sneakily having a larger team than everyone and hoping nobody would notice? Please. This isn't even a big deal. The last players added get dropped, and that fixes it.

Commish is a dumb...well ignorant of how to properly set up software correctly to 1) keep it in line with league roster limit rules 2) setting up conditional blind bidding where teams can put in for multiple players and get only one per "round".

Commish is a ######## for the "chatter" about a league owner trying to circumvent his rules.

My recommendation is for commish to focus on his family and leave the commishing to someone capable of the job.

So many bad commishes out there. Boggles my mind how he could construe this to be your fault and then basically punish you, when his incompetence caused the whole problem.

You need to communicate to everyone else in the league how horrible this is. They are equally in danger of his horrible actions. They should be lobbying for this to be undone and/or to replace the commissioner.

If they aren't up in arms they don't understand fantasy or are idiots.

I don't think this person sounds qualified to be a commissioner.

I assume everybody in the league is calling out the commissioner for being an idiot? If not, your league sucks.
You'd be amazed. Teams often put up with terrible/indefensible decisions by a commish because they can derive some benefit from the decision at the expense of other teams. Pure self interest.

I'm in a league where the first weeks waivers weren't set up properly, several teams were unable to setup their waiver preferences, yet waivers ran the following morning, resulting in some teams grabbing all the desirable free agents (and there were a lot-we had no waivers all summer). The rest of us-with high priority picks-settled for the leftovers. The obvious and fair solution to anyone with a brain would have been to reset rosters and run them again.

What did the commish do? he put it up to a vote and refused to even include the most sensible solution in the vote options! Of course the result of the vote was to let the screwup stand. All those teams who had grabbed the priority free agents of course wanted to keep them, regardless of the fact that they were acquired in a manner that went against league rules, despite the fact that it was due to the commissioner screwup. So yeah, the league sucks.

I assume everybody in the league is calling out the commissioner for being an idiot? If not, your league sucks.
You'd be amazed. Teams often put up with terrible/indefensible decisions by a commish because they can derive some benefit from the decision at the expense of other teams. Pure self interest.

I'm in a league where the first weeks waivers weren't set up properly, several teams were unable to setup their waiver preferences, yet waivers ran the following morning, resulting in some teams grabbing all the desirable free agents (and there were a lot-we had no waivers all summer). The rest of us-with high priority picks-settled for the leftovers. The obvious and fair solution to anyone with a brain would have been to reset rosters and run them again.

What did the commish do? he put it up to a vote and refused to even include the most sensible solution in the vote options! Of course the result of the vote was to let the screwup stand. All those teams who had grabbed the priority free agents of course wanted to keep them, regardless of the fact that they were acquired in a manner that went against league rules, despite the fact that it was due to the commissioner screwup. So yeah, the league sucks.
This is exactly why I find that playing in a league where the commish has a decent sense of right and wrong and a decent backbone is so important. I never understood the whole league "voting" on an issue because every owner in the league has a competing interest. In the real world it'd be known as a conflict of interests. If a problem comes up--a good commish should be notified (he or she should be more than capable of knowing the leagues rules (or the spirit of the leagues rules) and act accordingly. My first year playing fantasy football was under a bad commish--who did something very similar to what you just described. Even though I ended up winning that league--- I won't play in it again.

It's crazy, there hasn't been one team owner that has come to my defense. This is a league that's been together for maybe 7+ years or something like that. I was the commish for 5 of those years.

The reason I started this thread was because I just don't understand how nobody has come to my defense. Seems like an easily identifiable problem- this never would have happened had the rosters been set right, but somehow a few of my rivals and the commish have been able to convince my league mates that I'm in the wrong here. I don't understand it. The commish has said he's leaving next year if I don't because I have been complaining about this and we have a history of getting into arguments many (in my mind) similar to this. However, leaving isn't an option for me because I have built a very good team and am not willing to leave it. Including 3 1st rounders in 2015

Are you just waiting for them to come to your defense? You should send an email just to the other owners outlining the problem. If the commish hand picked players to drop from your roster the league is ruined.

It's crazy, there hasn't been one team owner that has come to my defense. This is a league that's been together for maybe 7+ years or something like that. I was the commish for 5 of those years.

The reason I started this thread was because I just don't understand how nobody has come to my defense. Seems like an easily identifiable problem- this never would have happened had the rosters been set right, but somehow a few of my rivals and the commish have been able to convince my league mates that I'm in the wrong here. I don't understand it. The commish has said he's leaving next year if I don't because I have been complaining about this and we have a history of getting into arguments many (in my mind) similar to this. However, leaving isn't an option for me because I have built a very good team and am not willing to leave it. Including 3 1st rounders in 2015
So you decide to let us share your problem?

This shouldn't be in the Shark Pool - if there is not a Forum for Commissioner/Administration Issues it should be in the AC - more likely just call a friend and talk about it because it doesnt belong here

If your commissioner doesn't understand the system WHY is he the commish?

If this isn't fixed Why would you continue to play in the league - it is a very simple fix as several have suggested.

Have a kleenex but you are spending far too much time on this issue

Leaving is always an option as long as you don't have future money tied into the league. I personally would leave regardless, but I could see staying until your money is out of the league.

Think about it this way, do you trust your commish or other league mates at all after this? Do you think they will take a rational and fair approach to other problems? Heck do you even think that if you went on a championship run they wouldn't collude against you at this point? You realistically need to answer these questions honestly to yourself before handing over any more cash. I would cut bait, I suggest you at least consider it. You cannot trust the commissioner to react rationally.

Captain Hook said:
loose circuits said:

This shouldn't be in the Shark Pool - if there is not a Forum for Commissioner/Administration Issues it should be in the AC - more likely just call a friend and talk about it because it doesnt belong here

If this isn't fixed Why would you continue to play in the league - it is a very simple fix as several have suggested.

why are you wasting your time with it if you don't like them? Just don't open them.I actually feel better now that people have agreed with me.

I will continue to play in the league because I'm not going to give up on the team I built

Captain Hook said:
loose circuits said:

Says who? You? Nothing at all wrong with these types of threads in the Shark Pool. In fact, there is a long history of exactly these kinds of threads here. I find them useful personally. Why in the world would it belong in the AC forum? Isn't that for WDIS and "should I make this trade"? Don't think this qualifies as either yet it is directly Fantasy Football related. How bout you don't click on the thread, seems simpler than taking the time to come in here and ##### about it.

This is one of the dumber posts I have seen. It's not as simple as just leave. People invest a ton of time-not to mention money- in their teams. It's completely understandable that someone would be reluctant to toss all that down the drain.

It's wise asses like you that are half the problem in a lot of leagues.

Got one response from a league mate on the message board advising that I had temporary commish privileges so I was "one of two people" who had the responsibility of knowing that the rosters were still at 35 therefore I need to stop blaming other people and take responsibility. I logged in as commish and changed the waiver dates, didn't mess around with anything else. What is this dude smoking? I currently coach an 11u football team, help with our HS wrestling preseason program, and teach full-time. Why am I expected to check the roster limits? I already have enough responsibility. Not like when you log in as commish you get some kind of message with the details. The commish never asked me to do anything else. I was also accused of not having my roster set to 30 prior to cuts which was the reason the limits were changed back which is completely false. So weird that people in my league would take this stance. I honestly don't know how they can get that view...

Captain Hook said:
loose circuits said:

why are you wasting your time with it if you don't like them? Just don't open them.I actually feel better now that people have agreed with me.

I will continue to play in the league because I'm not going to give up on the team I built
+1 move right on past any thread about "issues" and you will have a happy life

Got one response from a league mate on the message board advising that I had temporary commish privileges so I was "one of two people" who had the responsibility of knowing that the rosters were still at 35 therefore I need to stop blaming other people and take responsibility. I logged in as commish and changed the waiver dates, didn't mess around with anything else. What is this dude smoking? I currently coach an 11u football team, help with our HS wrestling preseason program, and teach full-time. Why am I expected to check the roster limits? I already have enough responsibility. Not like when you log in as commish you get some kind of message with the details. The commish never asked me to do anything else. I was also accused of not having my roster set to 30 prior to cuts which was the reason the limits were changed back which is completely false. So weird that people in my league would take this stance. I honestly don't know how they can get that view...
i dont understand what you want us to do about it now? Take it up with your leaguemates. We gave you our opinions. Now its like your defending yourself to a bunch of strangers. So weird

You obviously must have submitted your blind bids incorrectly for trying to get only two players.

If you only wanted two players, why would you have 17 rounds of waivers? You'd only need two with multiple players listed in each one. Once the top guy was taken in each round, then it would have been done.

The only way to get 5 guys would have been to submit 5 rounds of waivers, which is completely incorrect for trying to get only two players. If you would have done the blind bids correctly, then it wouldn't have picked up 5 guys, and that is a big detail you are missing in the OP.

You don't have to specify who you are dropping if you are filling already empty roster spots. If I understand right, he's saying in his league the roster limit was temporarily increased and wasn't reset back to 35.

If you don't care which of the players you get particularly, there are a lot of good reasons to not lump all the players together into 2 rounds. Doing so means your bid for a player may not be considered. That is, if you have:

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Then if bidding on Player B processes before Player A, your bid on him won't be seen since it is buried beneath another valid bid. Meaning someone else could get Player B for $1, and then you could still lose Player A to someone else. If instead he puts each player in his own round, then every one of his bids gets considered whenever the given player is processed. But he loses control of preferring one player over another.
That is incorrect. All you need to do is add your first list into your second list but remove the top bid. So your first list would win Player A for $1, and the second list would win Player B for $2. In blind bidding, all the bids are taken at once. There aren't rounds where certain players are processed before others (like rounds of waivers). Each list in blind bidding is to add one player, and there is no benefit to having more lists if you construct it appropriately. If there were 5 lists, like it sounds like the OP did, then it will take 5 players. Only two were needed.

Round 1:

Player A $1 - PLAYER WON for $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 2:

Player B $2 - PLAYER WON for $2

Player C $2

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

That is incorrect. All you need to do is add your first list into your second list but remove the top bid. So your first list would win Player A for $1, and the second list would win Player B for $2. In blind bidding, all the bids are taken at once. There aren't rounds where certain players are processed before others (like rounds of waivers). Each list in blind bidding is to add one player, and there is no benefit to having more lists if you construct it appropriately. If there were 5 lists, like it sounds like the OP did, then it will take 5 players. Only two were needed.

Round 1:

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 2:

Player C $2
what the hell are you talking about? Do you use mfl. Blind bids are one list, not two rounds.

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 1:

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 2:

Player C $2
what the hell are you talking about? Do you use mfl. Blind bids are one list, not two rounds.
Have you used MFL? Those "Rounds" are how you enter in your bids for your team. Each "Round" is to win one player.

Check out what the first column on your previously processed blind bids is called....weird...its called "Round"

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 1:

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 2:

Player C $2
Have you used MFL? Those "Rounds" are how you enter in your bids for your team. Each "Round" is to win one player.
sorry bro youre dead wrong. There are no rounds UNLESS you mean "rounds" the user creates by dropping a different player with each alternative selection. He wasnt dropping any players

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 1:

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 2:

Player C $2
sorry bro youre dead wrong. There are no rounds UNLESS you mean "rounds" the user creates by dropping a different player with each alternative selection. He wasnt dropping any players
That is what I am talking about. "Rounds" is the name of the grouping for the user to submit their bids. Each "round" is to win one player.

The blind bids happen all at once.

The OP only needed to submit two "Rounds" and obviously submitted 5 or more. If he submitted his blind bids correctly, then he should have only had two "rounds".

ETA: All I am getting at is that the OP obviously screwed up as well. His 5 blinds bids wouldn't have gone through if the roster limit was appropriately set, but the OP also didn't submit his blind bids correctly to only add two players.

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 1:

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 2:

Player C $2
That is what I am talking about. "Rounds" is the name of the grouping for the user to submit their bids. Each "round" is to win one player.

The OP only needed to submit two "Rounds" and obviously submitted 5 or more. If he submitted his blind bids correctly, then he should have only had two "rounds"
thats the thing though. He wasnt dropping any players. So essentially listing player B above twice does not put him into different "rounds" since there is no drop. If he had 2 extra roster spots and he submitted one list of 17 players deep with no drops, the system would have given him two players. But he didnt realize the rosters were expanded an additional 5 slots. So the system gave him 5 players instead.

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 1:

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 2:

Player C $2

The OP only needed to submit two "Rounds" and obviously submitted 5 or more. If he submitted his blind bids correctly, then he should have only had two "rounds"
thats the thing though. He wasnt dropping any players. So essentially listing player B above twice does not put him into different "rounds" since there is no drop. If he had 2 extra roster spots and he submitted one list of 17 players deep with no drops, the system would have given him two players. But he didnt realize the rosters were expanded an additional 5 slots. So the system gave him 5 players instead.
Once the winning bid in a list is satisfied, it doesn't keep going down the list. Thats how MFL system works.

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 1:

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 2:

Player C $2

Once the winning bid in a list is satisfied, it doesn't keep going down the list. Thats how MFL system works.
if you have 5 free roster spots it ipwill. I just dont thing you understand the logistics

You obviously must have submitted your blind bids incorrectly for trying to get only two players.

If you only wanted two players, why would you have 17 rounds of waivers? You'd only need two with multiple players listed in each one. Once the top guy was taken in each round, then it would have been done.

The only way to get 5 guys would have been to submit 5 rounds of waivers, which is completely incorrect for trying to get only two players. If you would have done the blind bids correctly, then it wouldn't have picked up 5 guys, and that is a big detail you are missing in the OP.
This is what I was thinking.

He had 5 empty roster spots. He thought he had two. He created a list in mfl like such:

Add Player a $2, no drop

Player b $2, no drop

Player c $2, no drop

Player d $2, no drop

Player e $2

Player f $2

And so on until he listed 17 players. He did not list any players to drop with each of those adds because he had two free spots.

He expected the system to give him his first TWO winning bids because he had thought he had two free spots. Instead the system gave him his first 5 players because he actually had 5 free spots.

Got it?

Round 1:

Player A $1

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 1:

Player B $2

Player C $2

Round 2:

Player C $2

if you have 5 free roster spots it ipwill. I just dont thing you understand the logistics
Sounds like we are both right. There is conditional and non-conditional blind bidding on MFL.

Non-Conditional Blind Bidding allows owners to enter all players that they wish to bid on in one group. To enter a Bid go to the For Owners >Waivers during your Blind Bidding Event and choose a Player to Add. Now, enter a Dollar amount and then choose a player to drop from your roster if needed to stay within your roster limits. You can continue to add all bid requests in this window and then Save your Bids when complete.

The system will then process these bids and players will be awarded based on the highest bidder.

Conditional blind bids are a lot like waiver request waiver moves, in that owners can enter multiple groups of waiver moves, and prioritize their picks in each round. Each group's worth of requests is looked at, top to bottom, and the first bid that is considered valid is the one that the system will accept, ignoring future bids in that group. Here's a concrete example of how conditional blind bidding works, assuming

maybe our league needs to move to a conditional blind bid system like the above. Glad you guys figured it out.

As for the poster that asked what I'm looking for by posting here. Basically looking for assurance that I'm not crazy as the title states. I just don't understand why the guys in my league would think that I'm in error here because I happened to use commish privileges for 5 minutes to help out our commish while he attended to a family matter does not mean I checked all the league settings. How do they jump to such conclusions? I would think they would at least try to help talk some sense into the commish, but I haven't had such luck...I'm confused so I was looking to the Shark Pool to provide some clarity and reassurance that I'm not missing something that I should be seeing...

Issue#1- The guy that started this topic is the guy that causes problems in our league over everything. More than one person has left our league directly because of this person. He had the commish password. He KNEW good and well that the rosters were set at 35 and should have been at 30.

Issue#2- The Max roster size was adjusted because MFL's software wasn't allowing people to make drops or trade players. I adjusted the rosters to 35 and mistakenly didnt adjust them back. My father was having heart problems and I was dealing with other things. Then, my father had congestive heart failure and I had to go out of town to help my mom with his care. I actually gave this guy the commish password. He could have easily changes the rosters back to 30. He could have done the right thing because there is a 0% chance he didnt know the rosters were not correct. He would rather be a dooshbag and try to make me look bad.

Issue#3- The last FIVE transactions this toolbag submitted were with NO DROPS- he KNEW that the rosters were over the size limits and he KNEW the players would be locked either way.

Issue#4- The only reason I am even the commish of this league is because the ##### that started this thread was the commish and couldnt keep up with the league anymore because for the first time in his life he actually has a job and cant deal with the pressure of running a dynasty league and working an actual job.

He 100% did this as a doosh move. He is THAT GUY. Then he runs to EVERY message board he can find, posts 1/2 of the story, and posts the link on our page. The guy is a 10 year old little girl who writes "mean girl" stuff on people's facebook page. He completely ruins our league, everyone hates him and he takes a lot of fun out of something that is supposed to be strictly fun.

I hate this guy. I'm pretty sure everyone of you agreeing with him would hate him too if you just gave him the chance to be himself.

Screw you Loosecircuits.

All 7 of the drops I made were no drops. I had 28 spots filled and 2 open one. I submitted 17 waiver claims that didn't have drops and wanted my top two. I did not do this with any other motive then to get the 2 players that I agreed with the value of the blind bid. We do not have conditional blind bids, so it's not like I could set up a certain number of rounds. It's all 1 page.

How was I supposed to know the rosters weren't set at 35? That is not something I check. How many people do? I think most people just assume the commish has the right rules set up.

Users who are viewing this thread