What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leagues doing .5 PPR + .5 PPFD: do you like it? (1 Viewer)

Jack McCoy

Footballguy
Our league has been doing 1 PPR for years, but I would love to change things up this season.

When you switched to .5/.5 (or even 0 PPR  + 1 PPFD), did you notice any significant differences in the scoring? I set up a dummy MFL league so I could compare my league's 2017 year-end scoring to what that scoring would have looked like had we been using .5/.5. I found the differences to be negligible in terms of a player's average fantasy points per game. Nor was there a significant reordering of the top 100 RBs/WRs/TEs. 

I then did another comparison, this one between my 2017 scoring and 0 PPR + 1 PPFD. Again, no significant shifts.

Am I approaching this the wrong way? Is the movement toward PPFD scoring more a philosophical one than a scoring one?

Bonus question (to avoid starting another thread) for those of you who have moved to superflex leagues: did you devalue QBs in such a way that starting two QBs every week wouldn't be a given?

Thanks, everyone — I'm really excited to hear your thoughts.

I currently run a 12-team PPR league.  I pitched the idea to move to PPFD (0.5 rushing and 1.0 receiving), but it's not getting much traction.  I did the same thing with modifying the scoring on MFL, but my theory behind it is getting points for something that brings value to the NFL team.  I struggle mightily with a bubble screen that loses two yards but still nets a positive 0.8 points for a fantasy team.  Changing from PPR to PPFD would eliminate that.  I can't speak to how much it changed the value, but I did notice it affected types of players more than specific players.  For example, the splash play guys (think Martavis Bryant, DeSean Jackson, Christian McCaffrey) saw a slight downward bump while guys like Fournette, Gore and Zeke saw a slight increase.

That same league is also a SuperFlex league, but it's almost a given to run a QB there.  The reason for the SuperFlex is to increase the value of the QB, so there's no reason to not start a QB there unless it's an exceptionally large league or a severe lack of QB options on the waiver wire.

Users who are viewing this thread