What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leinart's decisions to come back for another year (1 Viewer)

jwvdcw

Footballguy
-One year ago, considered the best player in the nation-Now, not the best player on his own team, and some say not the best QB-One year ago, considered to be one of the greatest college teams of all time-Now, not the best team this year-One year ago, would've gone #1 overall and been able to stay out west-Now, could easily drop to #3 or #4 and might end up in the terrible circumstances of N.O.-One year ago, widely considered one of the best QB prospects ever-Now, many people question his arm strength. :popcorn:

But, if I remember correctly, didn't he have shoulder surgery after last year that would have likely knocked him down in the NFL draft?

He does; however, now know the art of ballroom dancing.I'm an advocate of education and all, but the whole point of school is to get you ready to succeed at your craft. There was no reason for him to go back, much as there is now no reason for Vince Young to return. Mack Brown should shove Young away much like Syracuse told Carmelo Anthony to "get out of here."On a side note - I'm betting whatever happens with N.O.'s draft pick, it gets ugly

But, if I remember correctly, didn't he have shoulder surgery after last year that would have likely knocked him down in the NFL draft?
:thumbup: He needed surgery and I bet was nervous about how much damage there was to his arm. Look at how far Rodgers dropped. He may have made the right choice. The public was never given the complete story on the extent of the injury.

On Siruis Radio, Gil Brandt said that Leinhardt will make MORE money as the 3rd pick taken in '06 than if he was the 1st pick taken in '05.Plus, now he isn't a lock to go to San Fran. LOL

I dunno, coming back and finishing within 19 seconds of winning his third straight National Championship is pretty good..so is finishing in the top 5 in Heisman voting,again..

would you like to play for SF, like Alex Smith??

me neither. thats probably why he stayed..lol

As I posted in another thread, assuming a players career (college and pro) is finite, he lost a year of income producing potential. This includes salary, endorsements, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
-One year ago he would have been drafted by the pathetic 9ers.-Now he has a shot to be a Saint and they will be moved to LA

So now he'll go to New Orleans instead. This is an improvement??
:goodposting: to the original poster. The issue is not whether NO is such a garden spot for football. The issue is that SF is neither the team nor the organization that they were a decade ago. Right now, I'd put the Yorks on par with the Bidwells in terms of management of their team.

Also, people have made too little of the arm surgery last year. It was a big deal because no one could know how it would affect him.

Totally reminds me of the Brock Huard story. Had he left UW after his sophomore year he would have gone much earlier in the draft. He stuck around and lost more than half his O-line. I'll never forget the game when Nebraska (Peter and Wistrom) destroyed him both mentally and physically.

New Orleans has a much better offense then SF. Which will make him look much better then he would in SF.

Totally reminds me of the Brock Huard story. Had he left UW after his sophomore year he would have gone much earlier in the draft. He stuck around and lost more than half his O-line. I'll never forget the game when Nebraska (Peter and Wistrom) destroyed him both mentally and physically.
:confused: How is that in any way comparable to Leinart?

He wanted a piece of history (three time champs and another crack at the Heisman). I can't blame him...He'll still get drafted very high. He'll still get paid a huge amount. He should be thankful for ending the season healthy...

He didn't get hurt, that's the bottom line. Everyone was fearful of Willis McGahee part II, and it didn't happen. He had the same questions about arm strength last year, and he would have gone #1 in a weaker class. Big deal. I think he 100% made the right decision for him. The kid will make more money than he ever needs as soon as he signs his first contract. Money is not an issue. 1 year of lost income means nothing. He got to enjoy the full college experience, set records, and probably matured a bit more too, making him more ready for the pros. You can never tell where you're going, as teams trade up, trade down, etc. I think Mr. Leinart will be just fine, thank you.

His draft stock dropped like a rock because he stayed in college. Is that not the issue?

Totally reminds me of the Brock Huard story. Had he left UW after his junior year he would have gone much earlier in the draft. He stuck around and lost more than half his O-line. I'll never forget the game when Nebraska (Peter and Wistrom) destroyed him both mentally and physically.
His draft stock dropped like a rock because he stayed in college. Is that not the issue?
I guess, but the issue behind my post was questioning your reasons for this particular comparison. I don't recall Brock Huard ever being mentioned as a blue-chipper even if his stock did drop from his junior to senior years. Plus, Leinart's line and arguably his entire offense actually got better his senior year (e.g. Winston Justice came back to play). Shouldn't we really confine the discussion to guys who likely would have gone in the top 5-10 picks following their junior years?

The poor guy has to suffer the indignity of being paid virtually the same coin this year as he would have gotten last year and enjoying another year of being the MAN in southern California.There is no right or wrong decision he made. There was risk with the surgery situation last year going into the draft offsetting the risk of injury from another year at school. He now has been blessed with a year of college where he could completely have fun, knowing that next year he would be getting probably $20,000,000.Imagine this past year for him. The guys come by and ask him to go to the latest celebrity party.....Sorry guys, I have to study my latest ballroom dancing move......or more likely, 2 hot coeds ask him to be the meat in their sandwich and he gets more hot sweaty action than even I can imagine (which is alot).

As I posted in another thread, assuming a players careed (college and pro) is finite, he lost a year of income producing potential.  This includes salary, endorsements, etc.
:goodposting:
And of course he also gained a year of experience that he would not have gained during his first year in the NFL in all likelihood. Such losses can be made up on the back end with, for example, contract renegotiations and extensions.

Are you serious?Let's see:

NO OLine > SF OLine

Horn > Lloyd

Stallworth > Battle

Deuce (even with the injury) > Barlow/Gore/Hicks

Hilton > Any SF TE

Hmm. I'd say NO is a significantly better place to play QB than SF. The Aint's will be in LA in two years anyway and Matt will be the king of the town once again.

As I posted in another thread, assuming a players career (college and pro) is finite, he lost a year of income producing potential. This includes salary, endorsements, etc.
He also gained a year of happiness. I'm pretty sure this year was much better for him than it was for Alex Smith. ;)

As I posted in another thread, assuming a players career (college and pro) is finite, he lost a year of income producing potential.  This includes salary, endorsements, etc.
And of course he also gained a year of experience that he would not have gained during his first year in the NFL in all likelihood. Such losses can be made up on the back end with, for example, contract renegotiations and extensions.
I disagree on both points. If Chow would have stayed, maybe. But I have to believe a year in the pros, even as a backup, provides as much experience (with less risk) than staying in college. For example, many believe Rivers is worth more now than he was last year.Secondly, his career is finite. No team drafting ML will care that he missed a year of income. They will feel no need to make that back up to him at all.

As I posted in another thread, assuming a players career (college and pro) is finite, he lost a year of income producing potential.  This includes salary, endorsements, etc.
He also gained a year of happiness. I'm pretty sure this year was much better for him than it was for Alex Smith. ;)
You have a point. But, who is to say that he would not have pulled an Elway/Manning?

I disagree on both points. If Chow would have stayed, maybe. But I have to believe a year in the pros, even as a backup, provides as much experience (with less risk) than staying in college. For example, many believe Rivers is worth more now than he was last year.Secondly, his career is finite. No team drafting ML will care that he missed a year of income. They will feel no need to make that back up to him at all.
I'm not claiming that he'd get an extension out of sympathy. Contract extensions are not uncommon, however, for players who start out strong during their careers. Look at Carson Palmer (who came from the same program as Leinart did, BTW). As for experience, if pro experience was so much more valuable than college experience, then I guess that means Michael Vick is one heck of a QB by now, right? :popcorn:

Sorry, but I'd take the experience Leinart got this year over the experience Alex Smith got this year any day.

In addition to the surgery, and the experience and his chance at a second Heisman and 2nd/3rd National Championship at USC did you SEE all those USC Cheerleaders that he gave private tutorials to ???? Who WOULDN'T have gone back. Tough life at USC for BMOC - not

Do you guys think Leinart holds out if NO drafts him? If I were Benson and he did this I would not change my mind and keep him as my selection. If he refused to play then oh well, maybe they will move the team to L.A. It wasn't fair for the NFL to tell Benson he couldn't move his team to San Antonio or L.A., so why should it be fair for Leinart to dictate where he wants to go?

Totally reminds me of the Brock Huard story. Had he left UW after his junior year he would have gone much earlier in the draft. He stuck around and lost more than half his O-line. I'll never forget the game when Nebraska (Peter and Wistrom) destroyed him both mentally and physically.
I guess, but the issue behind my post was questioning your reasons for this particular comparison. I don't recall Brock Huard ever being mentioned as a blue-chipper even if his stock did drop from his junior to senior years. Plus, Leinart's line and arguably his entire offense actually got better his senior year (e.g. Winston Justice came back to play). Shouldn't we really confine the discussion to guys who likely would have gone in the top 5-10 picks following their junior years?
It reminded me of a somewhat similar situation. Not similar enough for you. No problem.

I think a lot of GMs will question his competetive fire, after staying in college. Most QBs are dying for a shot at the NFL. Leinart apparently just wanted to hang around campus another year, after he already proved everything he could prove.

I think a lot of GMs will question his competetive fire, after staying in college.  Most QBs are dying for a shot at the NFL.  Leinart apparently just wanted to hang around campus another year, after he already proved everything he could prove.
Sure. :thumbdown: Peyton was sure hurt by staying in school the extra year. Next.

Refresher...

"Although he completed his degree, a BA in speech communication with a 3.61 GPA, in three years, and was projected to be the top overall pick in the NFL Draft, Manning returned to Tennessee for his senior year. He put up even more impressive numbers in his last season (3,819 yards, 36 touchdowns) and finished second in Heisman Trophy voting to The University of Michigan's Charles Woodson, although he was unable to beat arch rival University of Florida for the fourth consecutive time."

I am generally a big advocate of education, but if a player is looking at a great payday, I think he has to take it. Alex Smith signed a $49.5 M contract with $24M in guaranteed money. Patrick Ramsey got a $3.1 M signing bonus as the last pick of the 1st round in 2002. The fact is, for most of us, signing bonuses like these would set us up for life financially.Secondly, by returning to school, you really don't know how things will turn out. Nearly everything went right for Lienert and he is close to a break even proposition financially. If something goes wrong, his draft stock could have dropped a lot. Whether he is unlucky, has a minor injury and misses a few games, other players get injured that hurts his effectiveness, etc.Last point, he could have suffered a major injury. He probably has insurance to help out with it, but it may not cover him in full. Some posters were looking for examples: Anthony Poindexter was a saftey at UVa and was projected by many to a 1st or high 2nd round pick. He returned for his senior year and had a devasting knee injury. He ended up being drafted in the 7th round in 1999, spent a year on IR, and played in a few games before getting waived. He barely played in the NFL. I know he had insurance, but I don't know if he really recouped the $2-3 M signing bonus money he would have gotten if he entered the draft.

Are you serious?

Let's see:

NO OLine > SF OLine

Horn > Lloyd

Stallworth > Battle

Deuce (even with the injury) > Barlow/Gore/Hicks

Hilton > Any SF TE

Hmm. I'd say NO is a significantly better place to play QB than SF. The Aint's will be in LA in two years anyway and Matt will be the king of the town once again.

also they will play all of their games- barring another hurricane in la. nextyear, even heard where the superbowl repairs are ahead of schedule.

is the adrian mcpherson experiment over?

Are you serious?
Let's see:NO OLine > SF OLineHorn > LloydStallworth > BattleDeuce (even with the injury) > Barlow/Gore/HicksHilton > Any SF TEHmm. I'd say NO is a significantly better place to play QB than SF. The Aint's will be in LA in two years anyway and Matt will be the king of the town once again.
also they will play all of their games- barring another hurricane- in la. next year, even heard where the superbowl repairs are ahead of schedule. is the adrian mcpherson experiment over?

-One year ago, considered the best player in the nation

-Now, not the best player on his own team, and some say not the best QB

-One year ago, considered to be one of the greatest college teams of all time

-Now, not the best team this year

-One year ago, would've gone #1 overall and been able to stay out west

-Now, could easily drop to #3 or #4 and might end up in the terrible circumstances of N.O.

-One year ago, widely considered one of the best QB prospects ever

-Now, many people question his arm strength.

:popcorn:
:shrug: I really don't think it will cost him that much in gross dollars. He'll still probably be the 2nd or 3rd player taken and he established himself as one of the greatest college QBs ever.

And all he had to do academically is take ballroom dancing.

-One year ago, considered the best player in the nation

-Now, not the best player on his own team, and some say not the best QB

-One year ago, considered to be one of the greatest college teams of all time

-Now, not the best team this year

-One year ago, would've gone #1 overall and been able to stay out west

-Now, could easily drop to #3 or #4 and might end up in the terrible circumstances of N.O.

-One year ago, widely considered one of the best QB prospects ever

-Now, many people question his arm strength.

:popcorn:
:shrug: There is huge downside and little upside to stay in school.

I really don't think it will cost him that much in gross dollars. He'll still probably be the 2nd or 3rd player taken and he established himself as one of the greatest college QBs ever.

And all he had to do academically is take ballroom dancing.
Financially, the best case scenario is he breaks even.Another way to look at it: Let's make a bet for $100. For your $100, you have the following possibilities:

get $105 (30% probability)

$90 (40% probability)

$75 (15%)

$10 (5% - the serious injury scenario)

Expected value: $68.1125, a very poor bet.

On Siruis Radio, Gil Brandt said that Leinhardt will make MORE money as the 3rd pick taken in '06 than if he was the 1st pick taken in '05.

Plus, now he isn't a lock to go to San Fran. LOL
You know, I've never understood why people say stuff like this. There is NO way he makes more money. He just wasted a year of his career in college. If he was the top pick in 05, he makes whatever he would make in 05 more than he would if he got the same contract this year. And this doesn't even take into account career stats which help with endorsements, etc. Losing that year could mean the difference between the hall of fame and not. It could mean the difference between getting that next big contract and not (maybe he is 30 when he is up for a new contract vs 29). The value of that extra year, the year he was "the man" in California, is a lot more than most consider.

The decision to stay one more year at SC was frankly stupid. No telling how much he lost but it most certainly in the millions. And sliding in the draft just compounds the loss. I really don't buy that he will make up the millions in the long run. He may be in a great situation but his contract will be long enough that it will be his talent that dictates his next contract, not the cast around him.

Obviously the guy was living up life at USC, and had a great time, and is also now financial secure for the rest of his life no questions asked. Not exactly sure how you can call that a mistake.

Its not like life in the NFL is great, they get so little free time to themselves. Seriously think about the amount of fun that man had in his senior year (the year you say was a waste) and tell me why it was a mistake again? Money? Like I said, hes got plenty now, and that was never in jeopardy.

He lost millions of dollars but he has good wide receivers to throw to. That could make up millions in the long run.
I think Leinart is much better off with the Cards than with the Titans. He has to love having that WR talent, an offensive-minded coach and only Warner to beat out.I think Tennessee fans are going to have a rough 3-4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread