What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let’s talk national chain pizzas 🍕 (1 Viewer)

Minnesota has terrible pizza.

This is what got me going on the Domino's pan pizza kick.  There was a Domino's (and a little convenience store) directly next door to the duplex we lived on right on the edge of Mpls/Richmond on Penn Ave. S.  Must have ordered from that Domino's 50 times during our year at that place.

Left Coast checking in. SoCal isn't exactly a hub for good pizza.

20 years ago Pizza Hut >> Shakeys > Round Table > Dominos > Costco > Little Caesars > Chuck E Cheeses

Now they're all the same. Add Papa Johns to that list too, since Covid the one near me shut down (thank goodness, it sucked worse and worse). Round Table is making a comeback so I should try that again. I see there are two Hungry Howie's in the greater LA area, I never had that so will try that soon. Marcos has been advertising a lot lately, so they must be new here.

Someone mentioned upthread Straw Hat, holy smackers that's a name from the past.

Regarding MODS, it looks like another Blaze type of a place. These types of franchises were on every corner for a couple of years, Blaze, Pieology, Pizza Rev were the three just down the street from me. All shut down except Blaze at the mall i saw is still open.

Around here when the Rays score 6 we get 50% off any regular menu item at Papa Johns.

When the Rays score 6 (hasn't happened much this year) Papa Johns calls me.

Regarding MODS, it looks like another Blaze type of a place. These types of franchises were on every corner for a couple of years, Blaze, Pieology, Pizza Rev were the three just down the street from me. All shut down except Blaze at the mall i saw is still open.
These places are better than the huge national chains, but not by much

Not really national (19 states) but here's a clear winner for me: Your Pie

As far as actual national, well-known, standard chains, Papa John's is easily the best and most consistent.  Even in Colombia it comes out exactly the same.

i was down there from 87-91.  I do not remember it.  I spent most of my time around mission beach, pb, La Jolla, del mar… on occasion Coronado 
Ah, this is after your time then. 

If you ever go back, Pizza Port is a must (I believe there are several - though I usually go to the one in OB). 

Not really national (19 states) but here's a clear winner for me: Your Pie

As far as actual national, well-known, standard chains, Papa John's is easily the best and most consistent.  Even in Colombia it comes out exactly the same.
Yeah I didn't think this qualified as a "national chain" so I didn't mention it earlier but this place is choice #1 for taking my kids. Just straightforward decent pizza and the gelato afterwards is great. Plus, usually a good beer selection and a very informal atmosphere (hence the heightened comfort of taking 4 small kids). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, this is after your time then. 

If you ever go back, Pizza Port is a must (I believe there are several - though I usually go to the one in OB). 
I visit friends in SD for a 4-5 days every winter.  Always stay in OB and my first stop is Pizza Port.  It's not even really b/c of the pizza (which is solid) but the fact that it feels the exact opposite of what I'm escaping from back east.  Sitting outside on the rail with a craft beer, enjoying the breeze, chatting with oddly welcoming strangers, and watching all the weirdos walk past is the antidote to whatever is ailing me back home.

I just love pizza so much.  Hole in the wall pizza, fancy coal-fired neapolitan pizza, deep-dish pizza, and yes, even chain pizza.  Especially if I'm a bit hung over, the generic doughiness of a papa johns or little caesars really hits the spot compared to much higher-quality and by all-accounts tastier alternatives.

I started working at a local pizza place when I was 14.  We were allowed a shift meal of either a 9" pizza or a 6" sub plus fries.  After a few weeks,  Mildred (a woman who must have been working there since it opened in 1961) said "You eat pizza so much, one day you're going to turn into one.  You got to be getting tired of it soon, hon."  I worked at the same place throughout high school and every summer break in college.  I maybe ate something other than pizza a dozen times in close to 1,000 shifts.  

I just love pizza so much.  Hole in the wall pizza, fancy coal-fired neapolitan pizza, deep-dish pizza, and yes, even chain pizza.  Especially if I'm a bit hung over, the generic doughiness of a papa johns or little caesars really hits the spot compared to much higher-quality and by all-accounts tastier alternatives.

I started working at a local pizza place when I was 14.  We were allowed a shift meal of either a 9" pizza or a 6" sub plus fries.  After a few weeks,  Mildred (a woman who must have been working there since it opened in 1961) said "You eat pizza so much, one day you're going to turn into one.  You got to be getting tired of it soon, hon."  I worked at the same place throughout high school and every summer break in college.  I maybe ate something other than pizza a dozen times in close to 1,000 shifts.  
what about Chicago Style?

Also I accidentally ordered gluten free pizza once.  It was terrible.  Was at Buddys and they had a sign with some new pizza (forget the exact toppings it had) so I just pointed at that and said we’ll have one of these and it came out a weird consistency , finally looked back at the sign and realized it said TRY OUR NEW GLUTEN FREE (WHATEVER)

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but gotta say I like this MOD Pizza.  Not sure where it originated but it is national.  Have to ask them to cook it a little extra to crisp it up, but love the concept of having my own pizza and not having to order around the rest of my family's topping choices.

I looked at their website and there's not any near me - think the closest is in South Carolina (none in Georgia that I saw but maybe I missed something).

I visit friends in SD for a 4-5 days every winter.  Always stay in OB and my first stop is Pizza Port.  It's not even really b/c of the pizza (which is solid) but the fact that it feels the exact opposite of what I'm escaping from back east.  Sitting outside on the rail with a craft beer, enjoying the breeze, chatting with oddly welcoming strangers, and watching all the weirdos walk past is the antidote to whatever is ailing me back home.
Absolutely. All of the above. 

Love OB. 

@tommyGunZ is living right. 

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but gotta say I like this MOD Pizza.  Not sure where it originated but it is national.  Have to ask them to cook it a little extra to crisp it up, but love the concept of having my own pizza and not having to order around the rest of my family's topping choices.

Ordering pizza in groups is a triggering experience for me.  Along the same lines as picking out a group movie at Blockbuster used to be. 

As for pizza chains, Costco pizza is decent and easy.  I'll have a frozen Red Baron before I have Dominos or anything else.  We have great local pizza so I'm a bit of a pizza snob.
You guys do know that most places have different size pizzas and usually you can get a personal/small pizza and not have to worry about what others want on theirs.

You guys do know that most places have different size pizzas and usually you can get a personal/small pizza and not have to worry about what others want on theirs.
you can also get half one with one set of toppings and another set of toppings on the other half 

No doubt. 

It is trending upwards in the last ten or so years, though (after I moved away). Punch is good and, on my last trip out there, I had both Black Sheep and Pizzeria Lola and they stood up I think to other good places around the nation. Pizzeria Lola for Neapolitan style is worth it.  Young Joni also makes a pretty sold, straightforward pizza. 
Oh no doubt. There are some fantastic places. Just talking in general.

Cutting a round pizza into squares should be outlawed. So dumb 

I cannot disagree more.  My favorite pizzas are done this way.  

You're in the Cities, ya?  Two of my favorites living there were Checkerboard and Mama's in St. Paul.

I would devour an entire medium from Checkerboard when I worked 2nd shift right there on Energy Park Dr.  Man I miss that place.

Can't find proper tavern style out in SoCal.  :(  

I cannot disagree more.  My favorite pizzas are done this way.  

You're in the Cities, ya?  Two of my favorites living there were Checkerboard and Mama's in St. Paul.

I would devour an entire medium from Checkerboard when I worked 2nd shift right there on Energy Park Dr.  Man I miss that place.

Can't find proper tavern style out in SoCal.  :(  
Garbage pizza.

The square cutting thing is so dumb. Nobody wants the middle slices that are just cheese and grease. But worst of all you never know how much pizza you actually ate. Properly cut pizza - you know if you had 2 or 3 or 4 slices. Square garbage pizza is impossible to figure out how much you ate

@nirad3

Drove by Checkboard pizza tonight on my way home from work. Pretty good chance of getting stabbed at that pizza place these days. If I am going to risk a stabbing it better be some damn fine pizza. Checkerboards is most certainly not

@nirad3

Drove by Checkboard pizza tonight on my way home from work. Pretty good chance of getting stabbed at that pizza place these days. If I am going to risk a stabbing it better be some damn fine pizza. Checkerboards is most certainly not
:lol:    yeah that place was in a sketchy area for sure.  I remember slipping on black ice walking from their parking lot behind the building to go get my 'za.  Ouch.

I still disagree about square cut pizza though.  I love the inside pieces that's just a ton of cheese and toppings.

Now I'm on a quest to find this kind of pizza here in SoCal.  Off to Google I go!

Shakey's has been mentioned. Pretty sure that was my favorite pizza joint when I was 7 years-old back in my Oxnard days. They would play black and white silent comedy films on a big theater screen.  Dad would order us all hamburger topping with extra cheese pizza.

Also, maybe two years later (my DFW days) i recall a Pizza Inn with a fireplace in the center of the dining area.  ... had a local Pizza Inn up until about 5 years ago.  The lunch buffet was 8/10.

:lol:    yeah that place was in a sketchy area for sure.  I remember slipping on black ice walking from their parking lot behind the building to go get my 'za.  Ouch.

I still disagree about square cut pizza though.  I love the inside pieces that's just a ton of cheese and toppings.

Now I'm on a quest to find this kind of pizza here in SoCal.  Off to Google I go!
I don't care how my pizza is cut and am a little confused why some do, BUT, you have a great option in Huntington Beach. ZeroZero39, on Main, a block or so from the beach. I haven't been in years. It's expensive. The pies are square. The crust is as good as any I know (72 hr rise of yeasty awesome before baking). Super good pizza joint. 

Also there's a Pizza Port in San Clemente. They'll cut in squares if you ask. ;)

I visit friends in SD for a 4-5 days every winter. 
Damn, can I come with you? SD was the last whole-family vacation we took before my father died. 

We did very little pizza (and zero chain pizza) exploration on our various trips to CA because my father and stepmother were foodies and made other arrangements. On the rare occasions I could get free for a meal on my own, it was usually In N Out Burger. 

Chaos Commish said:
I don't care how my pizza is cut and am a little confused why some do, BUT, you have a great option in Huntington Beach. ZeroZero39, on Main, a block or so from the beach. I haven't been in years. It's expensive. The pies are square. The crust is as good as any I know (72 hr rise of yeasty awesome before baking). Super good pizza joint. 

Also there's a Pizza Port in San Clemente. They'll cut in squares if you ask. ;)

Huh.  I'm downtown on occasion and I've never seen this place.  Will definitely give it a whirl.  Thanks for the heads-up.  (Edit to add:  holy crap you're right it's expensive LOL)

Also, I forgot there's a Chicago-style place in Costa Mesa called Rance's; they have both deep dish and tavern-style.  I gotta get over there ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandparents owned a Shakey"s when I was a kid and still love their mojos. I love Godfather's but have not seen one around in years. Now it's a toss up between Papa John's and Domino's. I like a slice of pepperoni from Sbarro's when I want to feel like a fat cow.

Also I accidentally ordered gluten free pizza once.  It was terrible.  Was at Buddys and they had a sign with some new pizza (forget the exact toppings it had) so I just pointed at that and said we’ll have one of these and it came out a weird consistency , finally looked back at the sign and realized it said TRY OUR NEW GLUTEN FREE (WHATEVER)
I've had some yucky gluten free pizza before, but I've had a lot that taste very good. 

the moops said:
Garbage pizza.

The square cutting thing is so dumb. Nobody wants the middle slices that are just cheese and grease. But worst of all you never know how much pizza you actually ate. Properly cut pizza - you know if you had 2 or 3 or 4 slices. Square garbage pizza is impossible to figure out how much you ate

I honestly hate you.

Cowboysfan8 said:
That’s not really pizza 
The deep dish 'pizza' is for the tourists.  Most pubs in the Chicago area have a very thin crust('cracker' crust) pizza with sauce, cheese, and sausage.

Is Mr. Gatti's still around?  Maybe it was just a southern chain.  The pizza was average at best but the $5 all you can eat buffet was a great deal as a kid.  Even cheaper when you'd split the costs with a few of your high school buddies who "weren't hungry".   
Gattis was big when i was in Knoxville in the early 90s...a spot we would hit as high school kids after ball games because yeah...cheap and had TVs showing sports usually.

I remember Gatti's... not sure where or how.

Another one, similar to that in that they had a buffet is Cici's.  They're definitely in Texas and I've been to one in California too.  They may have shut that one down during the height of COVID though.  :(   

Cici's is great.  Mac n' cheese pizza?  Yes please!  I remember going to the one by my house in Austin and I'd sit there with the sports page and spend an hour just slamming down greasy pizza and finishing off with fresh cinnamon rolls.  That place is dope.

Cicis can be ok...my daughter loves it so we will go here and there.  Decently cheap...and if you get a fresh pie its pretty good.  The best thing they had was temporary...grilled cheese pizza.  The crust tasted like that of a grilled cheese...it was fantastic actually as a strange specialty pizza.

Their little cheese bread things are solid (though, have found Wal Mart has solid cheese bread in their little refrigerated pizza section when I first walk into the store of just their store made stuff...I try to keep one in the freezer for when we do homemade pizzas and have it as an app while the pizzas cook).

Huh.  I'm downtown on occasion and I've never seen this place.  Will definitely give it a whirl.  Thanks for the heads-up.  (Edit to add:  holy crap you're right it's expensive LOL)

Also, I forgot there's a Chicago-style place in Costa Mesa called Rance's; they have both deep dish and tavern-style.  I gotta get over there ASAP.
If you are in HB (I am too)—if you want a solid but economical pizza (like the same price of the chain stores—like 8-12 bucks)—try the What-a-lotta pizza on Hamilton and Bushard.  I find it better than the big chains and the price is really friendly. 

You should also try Z-pizza. I think they have a location at Adams and Brookhurst in the same shopping center as Whole Foods.  Their Mexican pizza is pretty solid. 

If you are in HB (I am too)—if you want a solid but economical pizza (like the same price of the chain stores—like 8-12 bucks)—try the What-a-lotta pizza on Hamilton and Bushard.  I find it better than the big chains and the price is really friendly. 

You should also try Z-pizza. I think they have a location at Adams and Brookhurst in the same shopping center as Whole Foods.  Their Mexican pizza is pretty solid. 
Is it as good as Taco Bell's?   hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread