What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk About Keepers 2015 (1 Viewer)

Keepers are in, draft order just released.

Who should I be looking at with the #3 pick?

My keepers

Encar

V Mart

Dozier

Revere

Scherzer

Arrieta

These are the top guys available per ESPN 5X5(obp)

Kershaw

A Jones

Beltre

Ellsbury

Desmond

Bumgard

Posey

Han Ram

J Upton

Harper

I'm assuming Kershaw and Hanley go 1,2.......leaves me looking at Beltre, Ellsbury, and Desmond?

Whatcha think?
How long can you keep them? Bryce might be hard to pass if you get them forever.
Not forever, sorry.

Players are given a $ value based on where they are drafted.

1st round $5

2-5th: $4

6-10: $3

Each year a player is kept his value increases by $2.......next year Harpers keeper value will be $5 and then $7 in 2017...$9 in 2018, and so on(McCutch was kept at $11 this year)

We are limited to $18 worth of keepers each year.

Bobcat10 said:
rodg12 said:
Here is one I'm struggling with. Keep 5 major league players and 4 "young" players. Can't decide on the last spot.

It's a points league with no negatives. 8 SP starts a week (wins are worth 8pts, shutouts 8pts, CGs 5pts), 3 outfield spots, one UTIL spot.

MLB Keepers: Strasburg, Braun, Rendon (2b/3b), Lester, OPEN

Young Keepers: Tanaka, S. Marte, Bogaerts (ss/3b), Shelby

Last spot: Kinsler vs Longoria

Keeping either one doesn't leave a hole at the other position (since Rendon 2b/3b). I'm open to the "why are you keeping Lester, keep both hitters" argument, but I want to hear it. Keeping both also locks up the UTIL spot early. The person I split the team with wants to keep Lester, so I'm not sure that's changing anyways.

EDIT: Also have the #1 overall pick. Expecting some of these names to be available: AGonz, Seager, Hamels, 1 of JUpton/AJones/Fielder, and 2 of Teheran/Pujols/Shields.

Opinions?
I go with Longo and the other guys you have. Prefer Braun over both, so I wouldn't entertain dropping him and the value of SPs in points leagues make Lester a sure keeper here, IMO. Very good base going into your draft with the ability to grab another gem at pick #1.
Thanks that's where I'm leaning.What do u think of this twist?

I might be able to trade Lester for Mesoraco and a 4th round pick (you are not allowed to trade rounds 1-3 in the offseason).

I'd slide Gray into Lester's spot (instead of Kinsler) and still keep Longoria (over Kinsler). Mesoraco bumps Shelby out.

Also I've heard the Fielder owner is trying to deal him, so he might be the pick at #1 if that's true and he's that drop. That's a potential 600pt player there.
Why does Gray not qualify for a 'young player' spot? Tough to understand how Marte qualifies but Gray doesn't...

Anyway, back to the question, I'd do that deal. Gray and Lester are pretty even in my rankings. In the same tier, in fact. Picking up Mesoraco and an extra pick for a lateral move seems like a win to me!

My keepers

Encar

V Mart

Dozier

Revere

Scherzer

Arrieta

Kershaw

A Jones

Beltre

Ellsbury

Desmond

Bumgard

Posey

Han Ram

J Upton

Harper

I'm assuming Kershaw and Hanley go 1,2.......leaves me looking at Beltre, Ellsbury, and Desmond?

Whatcha think?
Adam Jones or Desmond?

My keepers

Encar

V Mart

Dozier

Revere

Scherzer

Arrieta

Kershaw

A Jones

Beltre

Ellsbury

Desmond

Bumgard

Posey

Han Ram

J Upton

Harper

Whatcha think?
Harper or Ellsbury for me after Kershaw and Hanley.

I like Justin Upton over Adam Jones in an OBP format. Probably won't go wrong with either though. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

My keepers

Encar

V Mart

Dozier

Revere

Scherzer

Arrieta

Kershaw

A Jones

Beltre

Ellsbury

Desmond

Bumgard

Posey

Han Ram

J Upton

Harper

Whatcha think?
What's the lineup requirements?

Without knowing more, I'd rank them Kershaw, Desmond, Upton, Harper, Posey, Hanley, Beltre, Ellsbury, Jones, Bum

My keepers

Encar

V Mart

Dozier

Revere

Scherzer

Arrieta

Kershaw

A Jones

Beltre

Ellsbury

Desmond

Bumgard

Posey

Han Ram

J Upton

Harper

Whatcha think?

Without knowing more, I'd rank them Kershaw, Desmond, Upton, Harper, Posey, Hanley, Beltre, Ellsbury, Jones, Bum
1 for each IF + 4 OF + 2 UTL

Bobcat10 said:
rodg12 said:
Here is one I'm struggling with. Keep 5 major league players and 4 "young" players. Can't decide on the last spot.

It's a points league with no negatives. 8 SP starts a week (wins are worth 8pts, shutouts 8pts, CGs 5pts), 3 outfield spots, one UTIL spot.

MLB Keepers: Strasburg, Braun, Rendon (2b/3b), Lester, OPEN

Young Keepers: Tanaka, S. Marte, Bogaerts (ss/3b), Shelby

Last spot: Kinsler vs Longoria

Keeping either one doesn't leave a hole at the other position (since Rendon 2b/3b). I'm open to the "why are you keeping Lester, keep both hitters" argument, but I want to hear it. Keeping both also locks up the UTIL spot early. The person I split the team with wants to keep Lester, so I'm not sure that's changing anyways.

EDIT: Also have the #1 overall pick. Expecting some of these names to be available: AGonz, Seager, Hamels, 1 of JUpton/AJones/Fielder, and 2 of Teheran/Pujols/Shields.

Opinions?
I go with Longo and the other guys you have. Prefer Braun over both, so I wouldn't entertain dropping him and the value of SPs in points leagues make Lester a sure keeper here, IMO. Very good base going into your draft with the ability to grab another gem at pick #1.
Thanks that's where I'm leaning.What do u think of this twist?

I might be able to trade Lester for Mesoraco and a 4th round pick (you are not allowed to trade rounds 1-3 in the offseason).

I'd slide Gray into Lester's spot (instead of Kinsler) and still keep Longoria (over Kinsler). Mesoraco bumps Shelby out.

Also I've heard the Fielder owner is trying to deal him, so he might be the pick at #1 if that's true and he's that drop. That's a potential 600pt player there.
Why does Gray not qualify for a 'young player' spot? Tough to understand how Marte qualifies but Gray doesn't...

Anyway, back to the question, I'd do that deal. Gray and Lester are pretty even in my rankings. In the same tier, in fact. Picking up Mesoraco and an extra pick for a lateral move seems like a win to me!
Gray scored too many points. If the player goes over certain thresholds they bump up.

My keepers

Encar

V Mart

Dozier

Revere

Scherzer

Arrieta

Kershaw

A Jones

Beltre

Ellsbury

Desmond

Bumgard

Posey

Han Ram

J Upton

Harper

Whatcha think?

I'd drop Upton below Hanley then, lower upside than those other guys. And then flip Desmond and Hanley. In a mixed league without MI or CI I'm much less worried about injury.

Wrigley said:
dparker713 said:

My keepers

Encar

V Mart

Dozier

Revere

Scherzer

Arrieta

Kershaw

A Jones

Beltre

Ellsbury

Desmond

Bumgard

Posey

Han Ram

J Upton

Harper

Whatcha think?

J Up.

Harper and 9 for Tulo. Probably still in line to get one of the other 4
Just wanted to clarify ... I wouldn't be trading Harper, just that he would be my third keeper if I didn't make a trade for one of those guys. And since he also is my one third-year guy, none of those teams would be able to keep him and another of those guys if I dealt him (he stays a "franchise player" even if he's swapped to another team).

Also, chances that owner keeps Jones and not Tulo?
I'd highly doubt it. SS seems even grosser than usual this year.
So yeah ... I was a bit surprised when the keeper list was released this morning.

McCutcheon was kept over Miggy, no shock there. Likewise, Trout over Felix.

But A. Jones was kept instead of Tulo.

I ended up not making the trade, which I would have had to do before the keeper deadline.

So now I'm looking at the No. 2 pick with either Miggy (eligible at 3B, since I already have Goldy), Tulo or Felix.

Tulo definitely is tempting, but I pick again at 9 and 12 and both Hanley and Desmond are out there. Other possible top-10 picks include CarGo, Ellsbury, Cueto, and guys like Freeman, Donaldson, Lester.

Also would love to grab Arenado and/or Harvey higher than their ADP since I have a wealth of picks in the top four rounds (I have eight of the first 42), but wondering if 12 is too high to pull the trigger on either, or if I can tempt waiting until 22, 28 or 29 for either of them.

1st pick is simple - Miggy then Tulo.

I would absolutely not consider Harvey that early, I'll buy currently injured pitchers at an injury discount but he's not discounted at all at that price.

If Donaldson is available at 12 I'd pick him over Arenado, but if he's gone then Arenado at 12 isn't crazy. I'd probably opt to wait til 22, but ultimately it depends on who is available.

Have to keep one of these guys for this year only in a standard 5x5 roto. Keeping Altuve and Kluber also.

Votto

J. Zimmermann

Arrieta

Yelich

Heyward

C. Santana

G. Cole

Users who are viewing this thread