What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk About Keepers 2015 (1 Viewer)

10 team head-to-head with points. I have the #1 pick and will likely go Kershaw as SP usually have about 150 more points than Hitters and my one keeper is Adam Jones in the 11th round.

Trying to decide between Ellsbury (which would cost me a 3rd round pick), Greinke (4th round pick), and Lester (8th round).

Seems many here are high on Ells again?

So I could start out with Kershaw in the first, BPA in second, and Ells in the 3rd with A Jones already rostered.

I think my choice boils down to Ellsbury vs. Greinke as Greinke with have many more wins than Lester - still struggling a bit with this.

10 team head-to-head with points. I have the #1 pick and will likely go Kershaw as SP usually have about 150 more points than Hitters and my one keeper is Adam Jones in the 11th round.

Trying to decide between Ellsbury (which would cost me a 3rd round pick), Greinke (4th round pick), and Lester (8th round).

So I could start out with Kershaw in the first, BPA in second, and Ells in the 3rd with A Jones already rostered.

I think my choice boils down to Ellsbury vs. Greinke as Greinke with have many more wins than Lester - still struggling a bit with this.
If you're dead set on picking Kershaw then you should keep Ellsbury.

I would keep Lester and pick a bat round 1.

Thanks for the input guys. Forgot Lester would actually cost me a 5th (kind of weird keeper rules in this league). Ellsbury it is.

10 team head-to-head league (H2H points). I can keep 5 players and I need some help...Here are the contenders:

Jacoby Ellsbury, NYY - OF

Adrian Gonzalez, LAD - 1B

George Springer, HOU - OF

Jose Reyes, TOR, SS

Felix Hernandez, SEA - SP

Stephen Strasburg, WAS - SP

Jon Lester, CHC - SP

Johnny Cueto, CIN - SP

Cole Hamels, PHI - SP
I'm now in talks with a guy who has Miggy and Abreu. Trying to get one or both from him in a 2 for 1 or a 4 for 2. Considering I would be throwing most of these guys back, is there really too much I can pay for those 2 guys?
So it looks like I would need to give up Felix and Springer to get Miggy --- he isn't interested in sending both to me. I might be able to get Abreu for Stras and Springer.

Thoughts?

Might as well ask it here because it's of critical importance

Last $1 keeper - Erick Aybar or Taijuan Walker :shrug: It's mostly for this year only, their price tags would go up to $6 in 2016, although Walker might have a shot at earning that next year.

Advice from Newzilla owners will be taken with a grain of salt

Last $1 keeper - Erick Aybar or Taijuan Walker :shrug: It's mostly for this year only, their price tags would go up to $6 in 2016, although Walker might have a shot at earning that next year.

Play for this year, Aybar will return $6 now. Get Walker in the auction for $3.

ETA: Admittedly I hate zygote pitchers, I've never carried one forward in a keeper. Too much value in vet pitchers IMO, unless you think the guy has top ten upside. Doesn't seem like Walker does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Who would you go with at #1? Trout?

Who would you go with at #1? Trout?
#1 player on my board.

Need to keep one of these pitchers:

Archer

Kennedy

Stroman

Anibal

Leaning Stroman...
With Stroman out, plan B?
Throw a dart, IMO. Archer probably has best long-term upside and a favorable park. Kennedy is coming off a nice season, has improved offense, and pitches in Petco once again in a contract year. Anibal is one year removed from an ERA title and could easily find that form back. They are all nice options. I don't envy you in having to pick which one to hang on to, because it is possible that both of the guys you let go will have very nice seasons.

This is the season Aybar steals like 8 bases. And I can't see anywhere near 68 RBI happening for him again. I'd keep Walker.

While Dr. D's reasoning makes sense if you think you can land Walker for under $5 in the draft, I think Walker is the guy you want for the long haul.

Need to keep one of these pitchers:

Archer

Kennedy

Stroman

Anibal

Leaning Stroman...
With Stroman out, plan B?
I like Archer's upside enough to justify passing over the more stable Kennedy.

As a Tigers fan I hope I'm wrong, but I tiered Sanchez with guys like Yu, Waino, and Cliff preseason - injuries waiting to happen, ten foot pole.

While Dr. D's reasoning makes sense if you think you can land Walker for under $5 in the draft, I think Walker is the guy you want for the long haul.
The other reason I like Walker is he will be easy to walk away from if he is proving worthless late April. Aybar causes you to over look SS draft day and into at least May. By then you want to drop him, but there aren't alternatives. In the end, he'll probably net a profit, but I think that profit is low enough to justify chasing upside instead.

Keepers due Sunday - 12 team / keep 12

Currently Keeping:

Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton, Justin Upton, George Springer, Chris Davis, Altuve, Ian Desmond, Longoria, Kris Bryant, David Price, Matt Harvey, Alex Cobb

OFFER ON THE TABLE:

I give: Prince Fielder / Yordano Ventura / Kris Bryant

I get: Anthony Rizzo

I've got to take this right? It's basically Bryant for Rizzo since I wasn't keeping the other two anyway.

Here is one I'm struggling with. Keep 5 major league players and 4 "young" players. Can't decide on the last spot.

It's a points league with no negatives. 8 SP starts a week (wins are worth 8pts, shutouts 8pts, CGs 5pts), 3 outfield spots, one UTIL spot.

MLB Keepers: Strasburg, Braun, Rendon (2b/3b), Lester, OPEN

Young Keepers: Tanaka, S. Marte, Bogaerts (ss/3b), Shelby

Last spot: Kinsler vs Longoria

Keeping either one doesn't leave a hole at the other position (since Rendon 2b/3b). I'm open to the "why are you keeping Lester, keep both hitters" argument, but I want to hear it. Keeping both also locks up the UTIL spot early. The person I split the team with wants to keep Lester, so I'm not sure that's changing anyways.

EDIT: Also have the #1 overall pick. Expecting some of these names to be available: AGonz, Seager, Hamels, 1 of JUpton/AJones/Fielder, and 2 of Teheran/Pujols/Shields.

Opinions?

12 team HTH points league

One of my keepers has to be a rookie. Mookie Betts (no 2B eligibility....needed 20g last year or 5 this year) or Joc Pederson? I haven't solidified all of my keepers but I should already have a pretty solid, if unspectacular OF with Gomez (kept thru 2016) and ability to keep a few of Melky, Nelson Cruz, Alex Gordon, Cuddy.

Hypothetical: How long do you get to keep :wub: Bryant :wub:
Forevers
id keep bryant
I think I do too
Wow, the hype has gone quite far on this one. Realistically, what's Bryant's upside? He cuts the strikeouts under 20% hits 35 HRs with a .300/.400/.550 line?

That's a marginal increase over what Rizzo posted this past season - 18.8%, 32HR, .286/.386/.527 And Rizzo is only 2.5 years older than Bryant. Bryant's bust risk is certainly higher than the value he'd bring with 3B eligibility for a few years

Forevers
id keep bryant
I think I do too
Wow, the hype has gone quite far on this one. Realistically, what's Bryant's upside? He cuts the strikeouts under 20% hits 35 HRs with a .300/.400/.550 line?

That's a marginal increase over what Rizzo posted this past season - 18.8%, 32HR, .286/.386/.527 And Rizzo is only 2.5 years older than Bryant. Bryant's bust risk is certainly higher than the value he'd bring with 3B eligibility for a few years
its a fair point but i think bryants upside is 40+ hrs at 3b which is a very shallow position

Forevers
id keep bryant
I think I do too

its a fair point but i think bryants upside is 40+ hrs at 3b which is a very shallow position
How long do you expect him to stay at 3b?

I think 3B being a shallow position is a bit of a myth, at least for this season. Guys that don't play the position full-time, like Chris Davis, Carlos Santana, Ryan Zimmerman and Pedro Alvarez, create some unexpected depth at the position for fantasy purposes.

Here is one I'm struggling with. Keep 5 major league players and 4 "young" players. Can't decide on the last spot.

It's a points league with no negatives. 8 SP starts a week (wins are worth 8pts, shutouts 8pts, CGs 5pts), 3 outfield spots, one UTIL spot.

Keeping either one doesn't leave a hole at the other position (since Rendon 2b/3b). I'm open to the "why are you keeping Lester, keep both hitters" argument, but I want to hear it. Keeping both also locks up the UTIL spot early. The person I split the team with wants to keep Lester, so I'm not sure that's changing anyways.

EDIT: Also have the #1 overall pick. Expecting some of these names to be available: AGonz, Seager, Hamels, 1 of JUpton/AJones/Fielder, and 2 of Teheran/Pujols/Shields.

Opinions?
One vote for drop Braun...anyone else?

Keepers due Sunday - 12 team / keep 12

Currently Keeping:

Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton, Justin Upton, George Springer, Chris Davis, Altuve, Ian Desmond, Longoria, Kris Bryant, David Price, Matt Harvey, Alex Cobb

OFFER ON THE TABLE:

I give: Prince Fielder / Yordano Ventura / Kris Bryant

I get: Anthony Rizzo

I've got to take this right? It's basically Bryant for Rizzo since I wasn't keeping the other two anyway.
Do it. Rizzo is what everybody hopes Bryant becomes. Gotta do that trade when you can compete now.

Opinions?
I go with Longo and the other guys you have. Prefer Braun over both, so I wouldn't entertain dropping him and the value of SPs in points leagues make Lester a sure keeper here, IMO. Very good base going into your draft with the ability to grab another gem at pick #1.

12 team HTH points league

One of my keepers has to be a rookie. Mookie Betts (no 2B eligibility....needed 20g last year or 5 this year) or Joc Pederson? I haven't solidified all of my keepers but I should already have a pretty solid, if unspectacular OF with Gomez (kept thru 2016) and ability to keep a few of Melky, Nelson Cruz, Alex Gordon, Cuddy.
If you have the ability, I definitely keep both Betts and Pederson over Cuddyer.

Opinions?
I go with Longo and the other guys you have. Prefer Braun over both, so I wouldn't entertain dropping him and the value of SPs in points leagues make Lester a sure keeper here, IMO. Very good base going into your draft with the ability to grab another gem at pick #1.
Thanks that's where I'm leaning.What do u think of this twist?

I might be able to trade Lester for Mesoraco and a 4th round pick (you are not allowed to trade rounds 1-3 in the offseason).

I'd slide Gray into Lester's spot (instead of Kinsler) and still keep Longoria (over Kinsler). Mesoraco bumps Shelby out.

Also I've heard the Fielder owner is trying to deal him, so he might be the pick at #1 if that's true and he's that drop. That's a potential 600pt player there.

Bobcat10 said:
rodg12 said:

Opinions?

I might be able to trade Lester for Mesoraco and a 4th round pick (you are not allowed to trade rounds 1-3 in the offseason).

I'd slide Gray into Lester's spot (instead of Kinsler) and still keep Longoria (over Kinsler). Mesoraco bumps Shelby out.

Also I've heard the Fielder owner is trying to deal him, so he might be the pick at #1 if that's true and he's that drop. That's a potential 600pt player there.
Unless its Posey or a two catcher league, zero reason to keep a catcher.

Forevers
id keep bryant
I think I do too

Well, I was fairly generous with his BA. More to the point, you're trading out realistic production now for future potential later. And the future potential isn't much, if at all, greater than the current production. Rizzo is a borderline first round pick this season. His gains against lefties look real. There is zero reason to not do that trade.

Bobcat10 said:
rodg12 said:

Opinions?

Unless its Posey or a two catcher league, zero reason to keep a catcher.
I think that's debatable considering the slot I'm keeping him in (it's a young player slot, not where Posey would be) and it's a points league. It's not like I'm keeping him over Kinsler. I'm buying his power at the expense of a SP that I can easily replace in the draft and I'd already have Strasburg, Gray and Tanaka. I don't have to worry about catching in the draft, which is a luxury imo.

Keepers are in, draft order just released.

Who should I be looking at with the #3 pick?

My keepers

Encar

V Mart

Dozier

Revere

Scherzer

Arrieta

These are the top guys available per ESPN 5X5(obp)

Kershaw

A Jones

Beltre

Ellsbury

Desmond

Bumgard

Posey

Han Ram

J Upton

Harper

I'm assuming Kershaw and Hanley go 1,2.......leaves me looking at Beltre, Ellsbury, and Desmond?

Whatcha think?

Keepers are in, draft order just released.

Who should I be looking at with the #3 pick?

My keepers

Encar

V Mart

Dozier

Revere

Scherzer

Arrieta

These are the top guys available per ESPN 5X5(obp)

Kershaw

A Jones

Beltre

Ellsbury

Desmond

Bumgard

Posey

Han Ram

J Upton

Harper

I'm assuming Kershaw and Hanley go 1,2.......leaves me looking at Beltre, Ellsbury, and Desmond?

Whatcha think?
How long can you keep them? Bryce might be hard to pass if you get them forever.

Users who are viewing this thread