What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk Dish Network (1 Viewer)

Mr.Pack

Footballguy
We have along thread on DirecTV, but lets talk Dish.

Anyone here have it? Like it?

Pros, cons?

My contract is up in a couple months with DirecTV and they keep telling me they can't lower my bill. $89/ mo, for a pretty basic channel lineup and no extras.

I don't need the Sunday Ticket. So I started looking into Dish, $39.99 for a much better package than I have now for half the cost seems like a no brainer, plus a free "Hopper"

Thoughts?

I've had them for several years, and have been happy with them. You won't get Sunday Ticket, but they usually offer a "sport pack" that includes the RedZone channel for half-price (~5/month) during football season.

We have along thread on DirecTV, but lets talk Dish.

Anyone here have it? Like it?

Pros, cons?

My contract is up in a couple months with DirecTV and they keep telling me they can't lower my bill. $89/ mo, for a pretty basic channel lineup and no extras.

I don't need the Sunday Ticket. So I started looking into Dish, $39.99 for a much better package than I have now for half the cost seems like a no brainer, plus a free "Hopper"

Thoughts?
Whoever you talked to is full of :bs:

But of course you'll need to wait until you are closer to the end of your contract to get the deals..

Wait until you are a couple weeks out and call again.. tell whomever you talk to that you are looking cancel your subscription and move to Dish because of the cost.. If that person doesn't bend over for you, hang up and call again.

Did this last September.. First person only dropped the bill by $10.. So called back... Next one dropped it another $20 and added Redzone.. and on my 3rd call got another $10 off + HBO and Showtime for 3 months free :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I switched over to Dish a while back and it's not bad. However, for whatever reason I lose satellite connection anytime there is even a hint of bad weather. When I was with Directv, there could be a blizzard and I wouldn't lose connection.

I switched over to Dish a while back and it's not bad. However, for whatever reason I lose satellite connection anytime there is even a hint of bad weather. When I was with Directv, there could be a blizzard and I wouldn't lose connection.
I lose it all the time With DirecTV

I lose it all the time With DirecTV

Yeah, I think it may vary with location. We have to have pretty bad storms to the S-SW for Dish to go out. Not sure how DTV fares around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have dish with the hopper and the wife likes it a lot. Keep trying to pull the plug and go satellite free but she will have nothing to do with it. The hopper and Joey setup works pretty well, but if you have multiple TVs and Children like I do you will want to consider getting more than one hopper.

I currently have 4 TVs with dish on them. I have 2 hoppers and 2 joeys and it works pretty well with all of the DVR recording that my wife and children do (very rarely will it interfere with watching live)

I have the America's top 200 plan (No Premium movie channels), and when you factor in Joey fees and DVR fees my monthly bill is $112.

If you decide to switch, I will refer you and then we can both get $50 :D

The hopper is the main receiver, the joey is an extension (for lack of a better term). The hard drive is on the hopper but you can access it from the joeys. Every TV in your house that you want dish on will either need a hopper or a joey.

The hopper has 3 receivers on it so you can watch or record 3 different channels or 2 while prime time anytime is recording. You can watch your DVR at anytime while you are recording shows.

We have 4 TVs that I wanted satellite on so I went with 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. Both hoppers can access the hard drive on the other one and the joeys can access the hard drive on either hopper.

I am not very good at explaining it so I hope this helps.

The hopper is the main receiver, the joey is an extension (for lack of a better term). The hard drive is on the hopper but you can access it from the joeys. Every TV in your house that you want dish on will either need a hopper or a joey.

The hopper has 3 receivers on it so you can watch or record 3 different channels or 2 while prime time anytime is recording. You can watch your DVR at anytime while you are recording shows.

We have 4 TVs that I wanted satellite on so I went with 2 hoppers and 2 joeys. Both hoppers can access the hard drive on the other one and the joeys can access the hard drive on either hopper.

Thanks, it seems it's pretty much like the Mini-Genie with DirecTV.

I thought I read you could record 8 programs at once? Not that I need that, with Netflix 3 would be fine. With DirecTV you can record 4 at one time

Also, how much space is on the hard drive?

I have 1 hopper and 2 joeys. If you watch network television, you can turn on the Primetime Anytime feature. It takes up 1 receiver slot, but it will record everything in Primetime on ABC,NBC, CBS, and Fox and hold it for 8 days. I can still watch or record two other channels while that is happening.

You can also sync up Bluetooth headphones with the Hopper, but not the Joeys.

Mr.Pack said:
snellman said:

Thanks, it seems it's pretty much like the Mini-Genie with DirecTV.

I thought I read you could record 8 programs at once? Not that I need that, with Netflix 3 would be fine. With DirecTV you can record 4 at one time

Also, how much space is on the hard drive?
The Hard drive is 2TB. If I remember correctly, half is reserved for primetime anytime and the other half is usable for DVR. I can record up to "6 shows" with my hopper. I use quotes because 4 of those are NBC,ABC,CBS, and FOX (primetime anytime). I did read on dish that they are saying 8 now, but in the fine print it says you need a super joey which I do not have.

One other nice thing about the new hopper as opposed to mine is that they are sling enabled. Would be nice if mine was, but haven't been able to talk dish into upgrading me yet. I can't threaten to leave in case they call my bluff because the wife won't let me go to directv

And the sling is awesome. I can access my Hopper from my phone or computer or tablet anywhere and watch anything on DVR OR anything playing on live TV.

Had Dish for years and started to have more and more problems with getting reception and would take two weeks to get a technician to come out and reposition. Magically when I called to cancel someone could have come the next day. I switched to Time Warner and have determined that all services pretty much suck but I really like the On Demand and also the TWC Roku channel that let's me watch TV on all other TV's in the house without having to pay for another box including access to on demand.

Long time Dish customer here.

Have the Hopper w/sling and Joey.

I really love it. Box is very reliable, signal almost never goes out.

Hopper can record 4 primetime and 2 other channels at once.

I also have my antenna hooked in to pick up other locals (extra WXXI channels, ME-TV etc) and can record those as well.

Have multiple hard drives hooked up as well where I store all my recordings.

Sling is great, I was able to use it to watch the NFL playoffs a few years ago while working in Japan.

The Hopper and Joey sound a lot like the DirecTV;s Genie and mini Genie.

Not sure what I'm going to do right now. The last time I had this dilemma, I cancelled DirecTV went to Time Warner Cable, cancelled a month later and went back to DTV and got all the new customer perks. I may go that route again.

That happens fairly often. Seen it with AMC, and a few others.  Notice it isn't anywhere near the NFL season or a Walking Dead premiere, etc. It will most likely be back in a couple of weeks. If that's the price of keeping costs down a bit, then so be it.

We dropped Dish a few months ago to go with Cincinnati Bell Fioptics. We get faster internet now and see paying less, but the TV service sucks compared to Dish. The DVR is not smart enough to find the same show at different times and isn't as full featured. The boxes are prone to freezing up and having to be reset, and service goes out for no reason way  more often than we lost Dish signals due to rain.

I miss my Hopper.  :cry:

I had Dish for a couple years and the picture was terrible compared to DTV and I lost connection with the satellites constantly.  Finally bit the bullet and went back to DTV.  Just couldn't take it anymore.

I used to get  DTV to give me standalone Red Zone channel, which I watched exclusively. No need for Sunday Ticket. 

Does Dish do this? Or offer it as a negotiating incentive? Or do you have to get the entire Sports Pack?

My contract is up, and it pisses me off that I have to go up an entire programming package just to get NFL Network, and another specialty Sports Pack just for Red Zone. May have to bail and do Sling Blue+Red Zone or take the "please come back" offer from DTV.

Thank you, Charlie Ergen, for getting into yet another carriage dispute resulting in ESPN being taken off DISH to start what should have been a nice weekend of football.

Thank you, Charlie Ergen, for getting into yet another carriage dispute resulting in ESPN being taken off DISH to start what should have been a nice weekend of football.
If you have any smart TV’s or a firestick you may sign up for a free trial of youtube tv or something like that. At least will get you through the weekend.

As someone who’s had both dtv and dish and canceled the both of them, I always felt dish had great customer service but a lesser product than dtv. If dish would have had dtvs layout, ease of use etc, probably would have stayed.

First they killed my local AT&T Sports channels and now they kill ESPN. Dish is now totally worthless.

Users who are viewing this thread