What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lets talk soundbars for TVs (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
I'm new to the whole soundbar scene. Ive had a pair of Klipsch RF-IIIs and a Yamaha sub (with a Denon receiver) as my HT sound system for about 7 years.

Was in Best Buy the other day and saw a Klipsch Icon SB1 soundbar with a wireless 10" sub for around $550. Instantly got tempted to sell my current gear and look into this type of setup for my 50 inch plasma.

Anyone have any recommendations or experience with soundbars? How do they compare to a set of mains like I have? I never push my speakers close to their limit, but its nice to know I can blow my roof off if I want to. How rich is the sound with a good soundbar (assuming a quality brand)? Is $500-$600 considered mid range as far as price? Anyone replace a nice set of speakers and regret it afterwards?

Any info is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to the whole soundbar scene. Ive had a pair of Klipsch RF-IIIs and a Yamaha sub (with a Denon receiver) as my HT sound system for about 7 years.

Was in Best Buy the other day and saw a Klipsch Icon SB1 soundbar with a wireless 10" sub for around $550. Instantly got tempted to sell my current gear and look into this type of setup for my 50 inch plasma.

Anyone have any recommendations or experience with soundbars? How do they compare to a set of mains like I have? I never push my speakers close to their limit, but its nice to know I can blow my roof off if I want to. How rich is the sound with a good soundbar (assuming a quality brand)? Is $500-$600 considered mid range as far as price? Anyone replace a nice set of speakers and regret it afterwards?

Any info is appreciated.
I have a Panasonic which converts into two separate speakers. Much better sound than a TV, but it's probably just an in-between sleek option if you don't want to wire a true surround sound. I mostly like the added bass to make the action movie experience better.

Crutchfield has a pretty large selection of these. lot of reviews, might at least want to check out the different features on all of them. They certainly don't look all that expensive, wonder what the sound quality is like. I guess you just have the strip and the subwoofer, get rid of the back speakers? Does that make for good sound?

Crutchfield has a pretty large selection of these. lot of reviews, might at least want to check out the different features on all of them. They certainly don't look all that expensive, wonder what the sound quality is like. I guess you just have the strip and the subwoofer, get rid of the back speakers? Does that make for good sound?
Sound is good. I doubt there's a real difference in a $500-1000 set vs a $250 set. Only way there is a difference is in the bass response (subwoofer size/power). You will notice better sound than your TV with most any decent sound bar/sub combo. In summary, yes...it makes for good sound, but don't overpay.

It's not the most powerful unit, but I'm happy with my Sony CT150. It's around $200.

I'm a big fan of Klipsch and their horn technology. I wouldn't mind paying $500ish to replace my current setup if I can get Klipsch sound and quality. I'd like to get rid of my Denon receiver anyway since the only purpose it is serving is when I use it for TV sound, so if I can eliminate it and get good sound (it doesn't have to match my RF-IIIs), I think I'd be down for that. Soundbars are a sexy accessory.

If I am reading your current setup correctly you just have a R/L main. No center and no rears. If that's correct then you will likely not miss your current setup. Also, this will hook up directly to your TV or your cable/dish box via optical cable.

Sound is good. I doubt there's a real difference in a $500-1000 set vs a $250 set. Only way there is a difference is in the bass response (subwoofer size/power). You will notice better sound than your TV with most any decent sound bar/sub combo. In summary, yes...it makes for good sound, but don't overpay.
Not necessarily true. Most of the more expensive ones, specifically the Yamahas, use a mic and then adjust the delays of a large number of drivers to give you a surround experience as if you had 7 speakers.

If I am reading your current setup correctly you just have a R/L main. No center and no rears. If that's correct then you will likely not miss your current setup. Also, this will hook up directly to your TV or your cable/dish box via optical cable.
Yup that's the setup I have, which is why I thought a soundbar might be a good option for me.

Yup that's the setup I have, which is why I thought a soundbar might be a good option for me.
If you liked what you heard in Best Buy then by all means go for it, I doubt you will miss the towers if you only use it for TV.

'Hawks64 said:
Not necessarily true. Most of the more expensive ones, specifically the Yamahas, use a mic and then adjust the delays of a large number of drivers to give you a surround experience as if you had 7 speakers.
:goodposting: The cheap soundbars sound awful. Not in the same league as the yamaha, polk or klipsch brands, which are all sort of mid rnge price.

I have a polk soundbar in my living room (proper HT setup in the basement). Massive upgrade from regular tv sound and no speakers, wires etc to taking away from the rom aesthetic.

:goodposting:

The cheap soundbars sound awful. Not in the same league as the yamaha, polk or klipsch brands, which are all sort of mid rnge price.

I have a polk soundbar in my living room (proper HT setup in the basement). Massive upgrade from regular tv sound and no speakers, wires etc to taking away from the rom aesthetic.
taking notes...I have Polk speakers now, little surround sound set(5+Sub) and they have been great, had them about 7 years.

what is this?

New house, want to get rid of the cables running everywhere and willing to sacrifice a little bit of sound quality to have a clean look.

Recently bought a new Vizio TV for our new house. I plan on hitching up to a surround system with Polk speakers, but I don't yet have all of the equipment in my possession.

Right now we have the wife's old 40-inch Samsung and sound bar/woofer, which ultimately will go in a different room. But are sound bars interchangeable? Will I be able to simply plug the Vizio into a Samsung bar through the digital output and not have anything screwed up?

Users who are viewing this thread