What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk Turkey (the country) (1 Viewer)

ProstheticRGK

Footballguy
Who has been to Turkey? I am trying to plan a trip for 2 to a nice, beachy spot in Turkey in September for a week/week and a half. Looking at the Alanya region. But I know almost nothing about Turkey and am flexible on everything.

Anyone been? Recommendations on what to see, where to go, travel tips?

all i've got on this is i know two people who went years ago and said of all the places they'd been in the world (a lot, and varied), Turkey was their favorite.

Ankara is supposed to be gorgeous.

been 3 times but '94 was the most recent. Ephesus, Pammukele, Kappadokia & Istanbul (and Bosporus) are the must-sees, but that's a big matzo covering several hundred miles. we got lucky in Izmir looking for a personal guide to Pammukele and we ended up going wherever he felt like driving us for the next ten days.

you could do worse than Alanya, but it might be a little too far east to be a base. but you got the right idea - somewhere between Bodrum & Alanya would be the best nexus to both enjoy & explore from.

the greatest things about Turkey were the citizens and that fact that it may have been the actual Cradle of Civilization and nobody told the world. our guide took us to many of the ruins of major sites in SW Turkey that had yet to be worked by archaeologists - there are hundreds of them. he also took us to share slices of real life with people who'd never talked to an Anglo (and since one of our party was a 6ft blonde girl, that was really sumn). he also took us to several coves that would be worthy of highrise development in Mexico,that had two sheepherders and six hippies within 10 miles of us. i imagine that Turkey is gone, especially after 9/11.

i'd definitely approach my research in chatrooms or whatever - the Mediterranean (especially the Aegean) has always been trekker country and they rarely failed me in several trips keeping me hip to what's new & next. GL - worth the trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
PBS has been doing an amazing special on hidden places within Turkey.

Over 1 million Armenians were slaughtered in a genocide that Turkey refuses to acknowledge to this day.  It is a crime for Turks to even discuss the genocide.

Wasn't planning on watching this incredible special but couldn't stop after only a few minutes but I had 'heard' of the Armenian genocide since I was a member of Amnesty International that fights for human rights.

If you go you will see remnants of Armenian culture.

The Hidden Map

Journey to modern-day Turkey with an American-Armenian granddaughter of genocide survivors in search of long-buried truths and a forbidden past that has been awaiting discovery for more than a century. A chance encounter with a Scottish explorer leads to a joint odyssey unearthing sacred relics, silenced voices, daring resilience and the hidden map.

I have been to Turkey twice.  I don't remember a lot of it except for the basics... bazaars and food.  Everyone is your friend because they want to sell you something.  

I was in Antalya, Turkey for thanksgiving 1998.  There are no wild turkeys in Turkey.  It was one of my favorite places out of the 35 countries I have been to.  I still have some Turkish music on the iTunes.  Pentagram and a couple others.  

I also visited another city that I could never even pronounce, but that was about as drunk as I have ever been in my life.  Thank god there were not cell phones taking pictures of everything yet.

Who has been to Turkey? I am trying to plan a trip for 2 to a nice, beachy spot in Turkey in September for a week/week and a half. Looking at the Alanya region. But I know almost nothing about Turkey and am flexible on everything.

Anyone been? Recommendations on what to see, where to go, travel tips?
I went about 10 years ago and loved every minute.  Istanbul was just incredible.  Wish I had seen more of the country (Istanbul and Ephesus).  

I can't speak for how things are now though given Erdogan actions. 

Fwiw, I've been to England, ireland, Greece, Italy, Egypt, Japan, most of the Caribbean and Bahamas, China, Israel, Jordan, etc.  Turkey is probably my top 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have visited twice, the last time in 1988. Anatayla, Ephesus and Istanbul were all great. Spent a year in school with a Turkish Naval Officer and have stayed in touch with him ever since. Love the Turkish people. Very safe to visit for Americans but you should avoid anything around the Syrian border (which s/b easy.)

Users who are viewing this thread