What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lets talk WR situations for.rookies (1 Viewer)

loose circuits

Footballguy
What are the optimal situations for rookies wrs?

Houston & Carolina come to mind because of both the QB and open spots although Jean and Lafell have flashed.

Minnesota has a spot open; but Ponder doesn't make it that appealing

Maybe Detroit although Broyles will return sooner than layer and Cincy is in a similar situation with White & Sanu

Buffalo has an opening but TJ Graham should battle for that job as they just scooped him in the early 3rd last year, Qb situation makes that less appealing

Maybe St Louis but you have to believe they want to see Quick succeed and will provide him an opportunity

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one concerned that there isn't enough spots for these guys? After looking at these situations, id be more likely to sell late 1st and 2nd round picks although we would also need.to examine the rb population. Not sure a lot is.open there either

Am I the only one concerned that there isn't enough spots for these guys? After looking at these situations, id be more likely to sell late 1st and 2nd round picks although we would also need.to examine the rb population. Not sure a lot is.open there either
I would probably add New England and Pittsburgh to your list. I think it could make sense for the Jets and Baltimore to look at drafting a wr too if they can get value.

i agree with the places you've listed and i'll add -

Baltimore - behind smith it's pretty wide open. they could used a big, strong, possession WR to replace boldin.

Indy - with wayne aging they could use some more depth. i don't see them spending a high pick on someone but maybe 2nd or 3rd round.

KC - avery is not the answer. i'm curious to see what their plans are for baldwin, if they pick up someone semi early in the draft it could mean they don't trust him.

Miami - wallace filled a huge need but they could still use another target for tannehill.a weapon like austin would be impressive... but that early? who knows.

NE - amendola "replaced" welker, they still have a need. jones? jenkins? no thanks... i could see them going WR early.

Pittsburgh - beyond brown and sanders they could use another option. they'll probably be looking RB relatively early too but i don't think that WR is out of the question.

Washington - beyond garcon they don't have much... moss is aging and there isn't much beyond him as a #2. getting griffin another target should be a priority for them imo.

imo, all of these places would be a great place to end up as a rookie, depending on the rookie.

ETA: agreed with poster above that NYJ would be an option too, but that would be far from optimal imo...

Miami not only signed Wallace, but also Gibson and.Keller. with Bess as the wr4 I just don't see them using a high pick on a wr
hartline and gibson aren't exactly a world beaters. miami has 2 2nd's and 2 3rd's... if someone is there that they like, i don't see why they wouldn't take them.

Miami not only signed Wallace, but also Gibson and.Keller. with Bess as the wr4 I just don't see them using a high pick on a wr
hartline and gibson aren't exactly a world beaters. miami has 2 2nd's and 2 3rd's... if someone is there that they like, i don't see why they wouldn't take them.
I don't think they paid Gibson near 4 mil this year to be their wr4Or Hartline 6 mil a year to be their WR3

How many targets in New England will be leftover for a rookies wr?
plenty on one of the more pass happy offenses in the league. they have no one else who can play the position behind amendola and he hasn't exactly been the healthiest player in the NFL the past few seasons. i wouldn't be surprised for them to grab a rookie early. i'm talking dynasty... the pats have a glaring need at the position and they would be getting playing time early and often imo. sure they'd be competing for targets but there's enough to go around there. i've heard some saying justin hunter could be a target of NE... if that happens i would be looking at him as a top 5 pick in rookie drafts, if not the top WR.

I don't think they paid Gibson near 4 mil this year to be their wr4Or Hartline 6 mil a year to be their WR3
salary doesn't dictate playing time. if they end up taking a rookie who can play, it won't be hard to unseat those two journeymen for playing time.

How many targets in New England will be leftover for a rookies wr?
Someone will need to absorb Lloyd's targets. I don't think Ammendola will receive all of Welker's opportunities either.
True, but Gronk and Hern were out for chunks. Also expect them to use the backs more, but I'm high on Vereen. They do need someone and that player will have value
They used Woodhead quite a bit. If Vereen is able to shoulder Woodhead's role from last year (as far as receptions and targets go) I will be impressed. But maybe I am missing out.

salary doesn't dictate playing time. if they end up taking a rookie who can play, it won't be hard to unseat those two journeymen for playing time.
it does indicate what they think of them though, I'd say they have plans to address other positions

it does indicate what they think of them though, I'd say they have plans to address other positions
ireland is notorious for kneejerk overpaying of FA's... i think this applies here. i agree they have other positions to address but with the amount of picks they have they could certainly afford to look at WR too.

Pittsburgh is my #1 situation, because I think Brown is better as a WR2 and Sanders is better as a WR3.

Other situations worth mentioning are:

SD hasn't signed Alexander yet. Brown is a nice prospect but not a typical SD #1.

BAL will be starting Jacoby Jones next year.

Pittsburgh is my #1 situation, because I think Brown is better as a WR2 and Sanders is better as a WR3. Other situations worth mentioning are:SD hasn't signed Alexander yet. Brown is a nice prospect but not a typical SD #1.BAL will be starting Jacoby Jones next year.
Would take a pretty good rookie for Brown & Sanders to take a backseat too, I see them going Lacy before they draft Allen or Patterson in the 1stAlexander will likely be signed by the RFA deadline of 4/19 and Floyd just signed an extension in September, but I agree that this spot would be appealing for a rookie because of Danario's knees and Vince is far from provenNon the other hand, I really like what Baltimore has in the coffers at WR. I Am not sold they will start Jacoby- that will be a TC battle among Streeter, Gurley, Thompson, Doss, and Laquan Williams- all of them have things to get excited about

Pittsburgh is my #1 situation, because I think Brown is better as a WR2 and Sanders is better as a WR3.

SD hasn't signed Alexander yet. Brown is a nice prospect but not a typical SD #1.

Would take a pretty good rookie for Brown & Sanders to take a backseat too, I see them going Lacy before they draft Allen or Patterson in the 1stAlexander will likely be signed by the RFA deadline of 4/19 and Floyd just signed an extension in September, but I agree that this spot would be appealing for a rookie because of Danario's knees and Vince is far from proven

Non the other hand, I really like what Baltimore has in the coffers at WR. I Am not sold they will start Jacoby- that will be a TC battle among Streeter, Gurley, Thompson, Doss, and Laquan Williams- all of them have things to get excited about
ehhh, none of them can compete with some of the top rookies in this class though. they're all expendable and if BAL goes WR early, that person is pretty much guaranteed playing time.

Would take a pretty good rookie for Brown & Sanders to take a backseat too, I see them going Lacy before they draft Allen or Patterson in the 1stAlexander will likely be signed by the RFA deadline of 4/19 and Floyd just signed an extension in September, but I agree that this spot would be appealing for a rookie because of Danario's knees and Vince is far from proven

Non the other hand, I really like what Baltimore has in the coffers at WR. I Am not sold they will start Jacoby- that will be a TC battle among Streeter, Gurley, Thompson, Doss, and Laquan Williams- all of them have things to get excited about
ehhh, none of them can compete with some of the top rookies in this class though. they're all expendable and if BAL goes WR early, that person is pretty much guaranteed playing time.
When you say top rookies, do you mean the top 3? I don't think the rest are bulletproof, but any rookie will certainly compete. However, doesn't Baltimore have a defense to rebuild? Or is Dumervil & Huff enough?

When you say top rookies, do you mean the top 3? I don't think the rest are bulletproof, but any rookie will certainly compete. However, doesn't Baltimore have a defense to rebuild? Or is Dumervil & Huff enough?
i don't think their D is as weak as people think it is. they have some decent depth and i could see them going WR in the 2nd or 3rd. guys like hunter, woods, patton, wheaton, or rogers could be available in the 2nd for them and would have a starting spot immediately if taken.ETA: top meaning top 10

GB should draft a WR. Though playing time won't come right away, their track record is so good and Rodgers is a huge plus, so whoever they take will be someone to watch.

I could see NYG going WR in the mid rounds too.

With DHB leaving and Moore/Ford always hurt, OAK should probably take a WR as well, but it'll be a bit harder to get excited about that situation.

Would take a pretty good rookie for Brown & Sanders to take a backseat too, I see them going Lacy before they draft Allen or Patterson in the 1st
If these rookies don't have a higher upside than Brown, then why draft any of them.I don't see that much reason to be high on Sanders. He's a slot WR, fast but hurt a lot. Nothing great. Of course still a chance Pats could steal him anyway.There's a lot of targets unaccounted for there. Heath won't be 100%. Wallace is gone. Hangers on like Cotchery should either be cut or emergency depth.I could see them taking Patterson, but I agree its unlikely.

GB should draft a WR. Though playing time won't come right away, their track record is so good and Rodgers is a huge plus, so whoever they take will be someone to watch.I could see NYG going WR in the mid rounds too.With DHB leaving and Moore/Ford always hurt, OAK should probably take a WR as well, but it'll be a bit harder to get excited about that situation.
agreed with these. the packers like what they have in boykin & ross but theres room for more for sure. ps - that hawtin avatar is sweet.

#1 is New Orleans. You have 30 year olds Colston(bad knees) and Lance Moore backed up by Joe Morgan and Nick Toon in a top 3 passing offense. Toon holds significant value now because he is a Saint and his role is unknown.

#2 Indianapolis. Hilton's role as the big play threat is secure, but after that you have an aging Wayne and Lavon Brazil. There are a lot of yards and targets to be had.

GB should draft a WR. Though playing time won't come right away, their track record is so good and Rodgers is a huge plus, so whoever they take will be someone to watch.I could see NYG going WR in the mid rounds too.With DHB leaving and Moore/Ford always hurt, OAK should probably take a WR as well, but it'll be a bit harder to get excited about that situation.
Moore has been in the league 2 years and missed 4 games because of injury. a 3 games span in 2011 and the first game last year.

Thats hardly ALWAYS hurt.

Houston #2 spot is wide open. If LeStar Jean was going to be anything special he'd have done it by now, he's nothing more than a 4th or 5th guy IMO. Posey is the one who began to flash late last season but he's out with the Achilles tear. Keyshawn Martin was drafted to be a slot guy and kick returner. At TE Daniels appears to be slowing down to me, and the combination of he and Garrett Graham was a step down from the production of Daniels and Joel Dreesen the year before IMO. They also threw far less to Arian Foster last season for whatever reason.

Many around here think that WR is the top need on this team, and the offense needs to evolve to make greater use of a dynamic WR2 threat. I always remember the Denver offenses Kubiak coordinated with Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey and wondered why we never used the WR2 more effectively. Whether or not Kubiak will actually do it is certainly debateable, but it's something to think about...

I would think that if you were going to rely on a pedestrian talent like Matt Schaub at QB who likes to get rid of the ball quickly you'd want him to have another weapon outside who can win immediately off the line of scrimmage, but I've been thinking that for years....

Would take a pretty good rookie for Brown & Sanders to take a backseat too, I see them going Lacy before they draft Allen or Patterson in the 1st
If these rookies don't have a higher upside than Brown, then why draft any of them.I don't see that much reason to be high on Sanders. He's a slot WR, fast but hurt a lot. Nothing great. Of course still a chance Pats could steal him anyway.There's a lot of targets unaccounted for there. Heath won't be 100%. Wallace is gone. Hangers on like Cotchery should either be cut or emergency depth.I could see them taking Patterson, but I agree its unlikely.
I also have Pittsburgh slated as the most attractive landing spot. You've touched on some of the reasons with the loss of Wallace and Heath not expected to be near 100%. The other thing is so far they don't look like they have a strong running game to lean on and most of all if a rookie can get in there and start he'll have an elite QB throwing him the ball. And one more point. When it comes to evaluating WR's is there a team out there you trust more than Pittsburgh? By virtue of their track record if they grab a WR in the first few rounds I'd give that WR a bump because that's how much trust I have in this organatization to evalute WR talent.

On Sanders. I have a higher opinion of him than you do but it's interesteing to see the opinon of him among Steeler beat writers and some fans and NE beat writers and some fans. Personally I think he is more of an ideal slot but at 5-11 with sub 4.5 speed and decent career YPC average I do believe he can play the outside. I think whats more is the Patriots believe this as well otherwise why have any interest in him if they think he's just a slot guy after signing Amendola? I understand they value Amendola's versatility to be an outside WR(which I think is way overrated) and adding Sanders might increase that versatility in their minds but I think they view Sanders as more a Lloyd replacement.

The interesting part on how Sanders is viewed by the beat writers/fans of both teams is this. I've seen every Steeler beat writer I follow be somewhat dismissive of Sanders. Can't remember if it was Wexell or Dulac who even said he thought Cotchery was the better player. All of them think the Steelers would be better off getting a third round pick for Sanders and most of them seem to be under the impression the Patriots don't need to front load his contract for fear the Steelers would match. One thing a few of them have specificaly stated is that Haley has a preferene for big physical WR's. We also know Ben in the past has also stated a preference for bigger WR's. Now when you read Patriot beat writers and most fans opinions they want they view signing Sanders at the cost of a third rounder as a good move. Part of that is based on a lack of faith in t Bellichick to succesfuly draft a WR as good as Sanders so the thought process is they would be better giving up a third for a somewhat proven player who has the speed to stretch the field. Just interesting to me to see some teams beat writes so down on him and the other teams beat writers pretty much in unison thinking he would be a good signing.

Back to the Steelers, I've seen Tavon Austin mocked to them a few times. I don't see it. For one I don't think he last that long and #2 while I know Haley has made a few attempts with McCluster and Rainey to utilize small speed guys in the backfield I don't think Austin fits the bill as the bigger WR they seek. I've seen Patterson mocked to them in a few places. I think he's to dumb and to much of a character type issue for this team. If they go WR in the first round the one that makes the most sense to me is Keenan Allen. He's the bigger physical kind of WR they seek and he's also as NFL ready as any WR in this draft, at least that's how I see him.

I don't view Lacy as a surefire 1.1 pick. I don't have Allen rated as even my #1 WR right now, that's Austin at the moment. But I don't think it's implausible at all that IF Allen is able to run/workout effectively on his pro day and show he's healthy and IF the Steeler selected him in the first round that it would be a shocker to see Allen go 1.1 in a lot of drafts.

That's a few if's of course. Steelers have so many needs and WR position is so deep I'm not sure when they would choose to address the spot with that early of a pick.

Pittsburgh is my #1 situation, because I think Brown is better as a WR2 and Sanders is better as a WR3.Other situations worth mentioning are:SD hasn't signed Alexander yet. Brown is a nice prospect but not a typical SD #1.BAL will be starting Jacoby Jones next year.
Would take a pretty good rookie for Brown & Sanders to take a backseat too, I see them going Lacy before they draft Allen or Patterson in the 1stAlexander will likely be signed by the RFA deadline of 4/19 and Floyd just signed an extension in September, but I agree that this spot would be appealing for a rookie because of Danario's knees and Vince is far from provenNon the other hand, I really like what Baltimore has in the coffers at WR. I Am not sold they will start Jacoby- that will be a TC battle among Streeter, Gurley, Thompson, Doss, and Laquan Williams- all of them have things to get excited about
I detailed this in the Ozzie thread but suffice to say all they need is a SS and two ILB's.

I also have Pittsburgh slated as the most attractive landing spot. You've touched on some of the reasons with the loss of Wallace and Heath not expected to be near 100%. The other thing is so far they don't look like they have a strong running game to lean on and most of all if a rookie can get in there and start he'll have an elite QB throwing him the ball. And one more point. When it comes to evaluating WR's is there a team out there you trust more than Pittsburgh? By virtue of their track record if they grab a WR in the first few rounds I'd give that WR a bump because that's how much trust I have in this organatization to evalute WR talent.
Great situation provided they don't draft Eifert.

I asked Steelers beat writer Ken Torgent about Sanders as a #2 a few weeks ago and his reply was basically "he really hasn't shown the ability to this point."

#1 is New Orleans. You have 30 year olds Colston(bad knees) and Lance Moore backed up by Joe Morgan and Nick Toon in a top 3 passing offense. Toon holds significant value now because he is a Saint and his role is unknown.#2 Indianapolis. Hilton's role as the big play threat is secure, but after that you have an aging Wayne and Lavon Brazil. There are a lot of yards and targets to be had.
New Orleans resigned Colston last year and Moore the year before. Drafted Toon in the 4th last year. Have a super-stud TE that really plays as a WR.They had the worst defense in the league last year (not hyperobole or opinion, #31 in points allowed, #32 in yards.) They are as close to not spending a high pick on a WR as team could possibly be.Edit: Miami just ponied up money for not 1, not 2, but 3 WR's. I'd say they are pretty unlikely as well.

Users who are viewing this thread