What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions may cut Harrington (1 Viewer)

Raging weasel

Footballguy
I just heard the Lions beat writer on the radio saying the lions may cut Joey so that they don't have to pay him a 3mil roster bonus.They would take a cap hit of 5mil plus if they do this and would also have 0 QB's under contract for next season.

I heard the same thing on 1130 AM this morning on the drive in.. preposterous IMO even if Joey isn't the guy to lead the Lions to a Super Bowl. The same ragweed went on to suggest the Lions could replace him with a veteran QB with starting experience like BRAD JOHNSON. OMG.... I was hoping that he was kidding, but he wasn't. Some people will never get it. I could understand maybe talking about Jon Kitna, Jeff Garcia, Kurt Warner or heck.. even David Garrard, but Brad Johnson?What was also pretty humurous was the discussion about how some teams lose any chance of winning when their starter goes down in a game and their backup comes in... I was thinking... you mean like the LIONS and MIKE MCMAHON?Say it ain't so, Joe-y.

Don't forget about Brees and Hasselback, who are slated to be UFAs. These are very attractive options over the aforementioned Brad Johnsons and Kitnas of the world.

Don't forget about Brees and Hasselback, who are slated to be UFAs. These are very attractive options over the aforementioned Brad Johnsons and Kitnas of the world.
:thumbup: Hasselback impressed me even as the Seahawks lost. He made all the throws, but Seattle's receivers have hands of stone. Roy Williams would be much better with him instead of Joey.

:thumbup: Hasselback impressed me even as the Seahawks lost. He made all the throws, but Seattle's receivers have hands of stone. Roy Williams would be much better with him instead of Joey.
Oh, that's interesting considering the ties to Mooch too......

Yes, and I believe those two west coast systems are fairly close to each other.

Do you mean ties as in Mooch could get opinions from Favre on Hasselbeck's abililites? Because Mooch and Hasselbeck have no direct professional ties that I'm aware of. Mooch was with the Packers coaching staff from 1992-1995, Hasselbeck was drafted by the Packers in 1998.

I thought I'd toss a little more than news from a spin-jockey out there for you guys...makes for some interesting reading, and this Lions fan concurrs with Mooch. I'm tired of haering about how the Lions haven't had any WR's to catch the ball, true they haven't been that good, but anyone that's watched Joey throw knows that 9 otta 10 rocks dude toss' is behind his target. This doesn't get it done if you have Moss on one side and TO on the other.

Anyways, here it is, and I would rather have BJohnson running this offense than Joey. BJ's not the future, but the offense could keep our defense off the field more, we'd be in a better position to win more and develope more cohesiveness as a team while grooming the heiraparent to BJ and get this thing going in the right direction...I see Mooch working, and I LIKE IT! :thumbup:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.s...28200104850.xml

Enjoy...

no they are not....joey is gonna restructure his deal.IF he refused to do so the lions might. but he will
agreed. they'd be crazy to cut ties right now.. but that's just me and i'm not even convinced Joey is "the guy".. but they have a better shot of going somewhere by restructuring and finding out rather than cutting ties and starting over with a new QB from the ground up.

no they are not....joey is gonna restructure his deal.IF he refused to do so the lions might. but he will
agreed. they'd be crazy to cut ties right now.. but that's just me and i'm not even convinced Joey is "the guy".. but they have a better shot of going somewhere by restructuring and finding out rather than cutting ties and starting over with a new QB from the ground up.
I agree to an extent. But what I can quantify are the rumblings that Harrington just isn't someone his teammates gravitate toward off the field and whether Harrington commands the huddle on the field. Whether those rumors are substantiated or simply byproducts of beat writers looking to make sense of Harrington's less-than-stellar play in the face of his draft position remains a question.

I heard the same thing on 1130 AM this morning on the drive in.. preposterous IMO even if Joey isn't the guy to lead the Lions to a Super Bowl. The same ragweed went on to suggest the Lions could replace him with a veteran QB with starting experience like BRAD JOHNSON. OMG.... I was hoping that he was kidding, but he wasn't. Some people will never get it. I could understand maybe talking about Jon Kitna, Jeff Garcia, Kurt Warner or heck.. even David Garrard, but Brad Johnson?What was also pretty humurous was the discussion about how some teams lose any chance of winning when their starter goes down in a game and their backup comes in... I was thinking... you mean like the LIONS and MIKE MCMAHON?Say it ain't so, Joe-y.
Hey Bob....That "ragweed" wasn't Greg Brady on WFAN was it...???? that guy is such a tool with his opinions.......and I agree wif Zamboni...there are attractive UFAs out there...if the Ford's and Co. want to look for them

Last edited by a moderator:
no they are not....joey is gonna restructure his deal.IF he refused to do so the lions might.  but he will
I agree to an extent. But what I can quantify are the rumblings that Harrington just isn't someone his teammates gravitate toward off the field and whether Harrington commands the huddle on the field. Whether those rumors are substantiated or simply byproducts of beat writers looking to make sense of Harrington's less-than-stellar play in the face of his draft position remains a question.
Jason, make no mistake.. I'm no apologist for Joey Ballgame by any stretch. I also think he's been errant with his passes (so much for accuracy being one of his strengths, eh?) and I also question his true leadership ability from a hard-nosed, get dirty and play some football mentality. I thought the Goose's comments this season were somewhat right on, if not funny, but that's another story and thread in and all to itself.Maybe it's just because every time Joey talks I get this mental image of Bill freaking Clinton. I swear those two have the same cadence and body language.Maybe they took piano lessons together. I digress.I guess I waffle on Joey when it comes right down to brass tacks and I'm not envious of Millen/Mooch having to make that decision. Cut ties or keep him and extend his contract. Seems to me like the Lions are right back where they were with Charlie Batch. It's hardly a win-win proposal.Have I mentioned how much I love the off-season .... almost as much as the actual season itself. innuendo, rumors, KIPER, oh boy..

I have really liked this guy at times. Sure I've seen games where he is lost too. I wouldn't be surprised if this starts out as teams offerring minimal contracts to eventually being a bidding war with teams offerring big $. He's taken his lumps. His talent-level is undeniably high. If you're a QB coach in the NFL you almost have to believe you can make a guy like that a star.As for the Lions, I wouldn't release him but if so they gotta go youth. With Roy and hopefully Charles Rogers they could have a phenomenal duo of young WRs. Not to mention Kevin Jones behind them. The right young QB and that looks like a team that'll have a great offense for the next decade. Roy and in the little time I saw Rogers, have that awesome ability to catch poorly thrown balls whether it's diving, leaping, shoelace catch, or turning the other shoulder they adjust as well as anyone that's played the game. That's gotta be invaluable to a young QB that's learning.

Have I mentioned how much I love the off-season .... almost as much as the actual season itself. innuendo, rumors, KIPER, oh boy..
:goodposting:While I love the football season, and this board year round, the offseason at this board RULES.

Interesting.If they do cut him (why wouldn't they trade him?);1. Opens up all sorts of possibilities for a FA pickup. But do the Lions have the cap room for a Garrard, Hasselback, or Brees? 2. Do they make a possible trade with SF or CLE to move up in the draft? 3. What happens to Harrington? If he's cut, what a pick-up for GB or DAL! He might not be Marino, but given the right situation, he could be a good QB. (Grbac didn't exactly thrill anyone & he's wearin' a SB ring).

I'm not ready to throw Joey to the wolves just yet. I agree at times he throws inaccurate balls and he checks down way to much. But if you were to take Hakim's dropped passes alone and turn them into completions the lions would be in the playoffs this season. Drew Brees all over again. Look what he did in his fourth season.

I think when all is said and done, the 2002 NFL Draft Class of QBs will be remembered more for the fact that Ronald Curry became a servicable WR much more than anyone else (Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, McCown, Kittner, Fasani, etc.) became a servicable QB.COlin

If they do in fact cut him, it better be to sign a veteran (Hasselbeck, Kitna, Brees) and not to draft another WR. This team needs a leader, not another pup to watch develop for 3+ years.

I think when all is said and done, the 2002 NFL Draft Class of QBs will be remembered more for the fact that Ronald Curry became a servicable WR much more than anyone else (Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, McCown, Kittner, Fasani, etc.) became a servicable QB.COlin
Wow, you don't think Carr or Ramsey will be more than a servicable qb? Actually your post implies less than servicable.

Wow, you don't think Carr or Ramsey will be more than a servicable qb? Actually your post implies less than servicable.
No, I don't.I think Carr's problem is between his ears, and I don't think the current coaching staff is doing him any favors.And I don't think Ramsey will be given the ample opportunity to actually dig in and learn the position, instead being shuffled until he's an old-story.COlin

No, I don't.I think Carr's problem is between his ears, and I don't think the current coaching staff is doing him any favors.And I don't think Ramsey will be given the ample opportunity to actually dig in and learn the position, instead being shuffled until he's an old-story.COlin
It's funny you say that Colin because I was just wondering at what point it's time to start viewing Carr as a potential bust in his own right. But more to the point, someone refresh my memory as to how and why Chris Palmer got the title of "QB GURU" and at what point he should be forced to hand over the crown to someone more deserving.I remember when this clown was hired in Cleveland (5-27 as head coach) it was because of his prowess in developing QBs. Well, Tim Couch and now 3 years of David Carr later, I just don't see it.

It's funny you say that Colin because I was just wondering at what point it's time to start viewing Carr as a potential bust in his own right. But more to the point, someone refresh my memory as to how and why Chris Palmer got the title of "QB GURU" and at what point he should be forced to hand over the crown to someone more deserving.I remember when this clown was hired in Cleveland (5-27 as head coach) it was because of his prowess in developing QBs. Well, Tim Couch and now 3 years of David Carr later, I just don't see it.
my feeble intellect points to QB gold coming out of USC, ieTom BradyCarson Palmerand nowMatt LeinartI think I saw in article in WP Sports that also mentioned coaching lineage and what some HC/OC/etc spawned and all of them were good QBs.

As the #2 Bucs fan on these boards I can assure you, Lion Fans, that you do not want anything to do with Brad Johnson. He's washed up to the point of no return. He will always have a place in my heart :wub: as the QB during the Super Bowl season, but his performance has been below-average at best.You already have a below-average QB in Harrington.

Palmer's guru'ing comes mostly from Brunell and Jacksonville. Before that, he worked with Bledsoe in NE. However, I think he's given way too much credit for that and people forget taht he helped ruin Couch.I've been negative about Carr for a while, but I've tried to be fair. When he has made progress, I've mentioned it. For example, this season, his touch got better.However, he still has the nagging problem of hiking the ball, looking for option #1, and then dumping to the outlet (usually Davis) if #1 isn't open. He also steps "sideways" in pressure instead of stepping up in the pocket, which doesn't allow much to develop downfield before he's trying to make something happen on the run. Some say, "Well the O-line is terrible!" but I don't buy that 100%. COlin

my feeble intellect points to QB gold coming out of USC, ieTom BradyCarson Palmerand nowMatt LeinartI think I saw in article in WP Sports that also mentioned coaching lineage and what some HC/OC/etc spawned and all of them were good QBs.
:confused:Tom Brady went to MichiganCarson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Philip Rivers, Don Boscoe, Steve Young, Ty Detmer were all products of NORM CHOWHow does any of this pertain to Chris Palmer, the Houston OC? :confused:

My feeble intellect wonders when Tom Brady found the time to take class at USC while he was playing football for Michigan. ;)

I know a lot of the board is very down on Harrington, but does anyone believe he has had his last shot to be an NFL QB?He inherited a terrible franchise with no offensive weapons and no defense, and spent his first two years getting his brains bashed in. That has to do some damage to the phsyche. Maybe he is sick of some of those teammates not the other way around.For the Lions it might be a great move to cut ties to Joey and bring in a veteran to make the next step. But other than Kitna and Hasselback are any of the other guys out there really a step forward? I think they all have plenty of ? which is why teams are willing to part with them.For Harrington a chance to rebuild his confidence with a coach that believes in him could be just what he needs also. And 3 million seems a small price to pay. Heck the Broncos are going to give Plummer 7 million and he has alot of the same questions.

On Carr, Think Colin's a little harse, but everytime I suggest Carr is probably in that inconsistent QB range of Plummer, Brooks, Collins, Bleddoe, etc. I get killed as a "Carr Hater" and don't understand football because the Houston's O-line sucks.Houston is a least a season away from even thinking about having this conversasion about Carr. There have been no rumblings that the organization is dissastified and the fan base thinks that all of offenses problems are either in the O-line or coordinators lap.

by what successful QB are you benchmarking Harrington against? Vick? Manning? McNabb? Warner? or Elway, Steve Young, Brett Favre....

There’s whole lot going on with Harrington’s situation. Millen supports him. Mooch and Sherm Lewis (retired) do not. Mooch’s conservative play calling can at least in part be pointed to as a reason why Harrington’s numbers weren’t better. That’s why Millen made Mooch give the play calling duties to the QB coach the final two games of the season. They still lost, but Harrington’s numbers were much improved. Are those improved numbers a sign of life for the beleaguered QB? Or just a flukey anomaly? Mooch now says he will change the offense a bit to go downfield more. But he still doesn’t want Harrington. Harrington has already offered to renegotiate, but the Lions said no thanks. Sherm Lewis wrote letters to Millen and the Fords on the way out the door, telling them Harrington is not the man to take them where they want to go. Will they listen? Should they? I waffle on this. I hear the stories all the time about how tough it is to develop at the QB spot in the NFL. It’s seems universally recognized. At the same time, there is this amazing pressure and impatience to have the QB perform NOW, without allowing the proper time to develop. There’s also the question of the supporting cast. Is it reasonable to think he should be a championship caliber QB right now given the supporting cast he’s had since he arrived in Detroit? Harrington has a PR problem in my opinion as well. Listening to his interviews, I hear a whiney kid, not a leader. This is a tough, tough town. By Harrington’s own admission, it was very hard for him to come here from the Pac Northwest. Big culture change. This is home of The Captain, the Bad Boys, and Ben Wallace. The Captain owns this town. But in all likelihood, he has already skated his last shift with the winged wheel on his chest. The Lions QB, if the right person filled the job, could easily own this town the same way. This town is ripe for it. But Harrington is not that personality.Sorry for rambling.

There’s whole lot going on with Harrington’s situation. Millen supports him. Mooch and Sherm Lewis (retired) do not. Mooch’s conservative play calling can at least in part be pointed to as a reason why Harrington’s numbers weren’t better. That’s why Millen made Mooch give the play calling duties to the QB coach the final two games of the season. They still lost, but Harrington’s numbers were much improved. Are those improved numbers a sign of life for the beleaguered QB? Or just a flukey anomaly? Mooch now says he will change the offense a bit to go downfield more. But he still doesn’t want Harrington. Harrington has already offered to renegotiate, but the Lions said no thanks. Sherm Lewis wrote letters to Millen and the Fords on the way out the door, telling them Harrington is not the man to take them where they want to go. Will they listen? Should they? I waffle on this. I hear the stories all the time about how tough it is to develop at the QB spot in the NFL. It’s seems universally recognized. At the same time, there is this amazing pressure and impatience to have the QB perform NOW, without allowing the proper time to develop. There’s also the question of the supporting cast. Is it reasonable to think he should be a championship caliber QB right now given the supporting cast he’s had since he arrived in Detroit? Harrington has a PR problem in my opinion as well. Listening to his interviews, I hear a whiney kid, not a leader. This is a tough, tough town. By Harrington’s own admission, it was very hard for him to come here from the Pac Northwest. Big culture change. This is home of The Captain, the Bad Boys, and Ben Wallace. The Captain owns this town. But in all likelihood, he has already skated his last shift with the winged wheel on his chest. The Lions QB, if the right person filled the job, could easily own this town the same way. This town is ripe for it. But Harrington is not that personality.Sorry for rambling.
GB Yzerman. :thumbup:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bears pick him up as competition with Grossman. He can't do worse than our other "backups".

I know a lot of the board is very down on Harrington, but does anyone believe he has had his last shot to be an NFL QB?

He inherited a terrible franchise with no offensive weapons and no defense, and spent his first two years getting his brains bashed in. That has to do some damage to the phsyche. Maybe he is sick of some of those teammates not the other way around.

For the Lions it might be a great move to cut ties to Joey and bring in a veteran to make the next step. But other than Kitna and Hasselback are any of the other guys out there really a step forward? I think they all have plenty of ? which is why teams are willing to part with them.

For Harrington a chance to rebuild his confidence with a coach that believes in him could be just what he needs also. And 3 million seems a small price to pay. Heck the Broncos are going to give Plummer 7 million and he has alot of the same questions.
Actually that's not true.The Detroit Lions gave up a grand total of 31 sacks over the 2002-2003 seasons.

2002 -- 20 sacks allowed (1st in the NFL)

2003 -- 11 sacks allowed (1st in the NFL)

I know a lot of the board is very down on Harrington, but does anyone believe he has had his last shot to be an NFL QB?

He inherited a terrible franchise with no offensive weapons and no defense, and spent his first two years getting his brains bashed in. That has to do some damage to the phsyche. Maybe he is sick of some of those teammates not the other way around.

For the Lions it might be a great move to cut ties to Joey and bring in a veteran to make the next step. But other than Kitna and Hasselback are any of the other guys out there really a step forward? I think they all have plenty of ? which is why teams are willing to part with them.

For Harrington a chance to rebuild his confidence with a coach that believes in him could be just what he needs also. And 3 million seems a small price to pay. Heck the Broncos are going to give Plummer 7 million and he has alot of the same questions.
Actually that's not true.The Detroit Lions gave up a grand total of 31 sacks over the 2002-2003 seasons.

But I don't think the local observers would say those #1 rankings were the result of stellar play and ability by the o-line.Rather, they may point to conservative gameplanning and conservative style offense that is not so sack susceptible in order to protect the QB.

This story seems to be picking up steam here in Detroit.

Apparently the Lions will provide a statement later today.

Link

Hasselback impressed me even as the Seahawks lost. He made all the throws, but Seattle's receivers have hands of stone. Roy Williams would be much better with him instead of Joey.
You ever watch the Lions play? Roy Williams also has hands of stone.

Sacks are not an accurate representation of the kind of beatings Harrington has taken. I'll need a Lions fan to back me up on this but the few Lions games I've seen over the last couple of years Joey was getting knocked around pretty good.

Joey backers will point out that his low completion % and high INT % are a result of Joey trying to avoid taking sacks, maybe when he should have just eaten it.

He inherited a terrible franchise with no offensive weapons and no defense, and spent his first two years getting his brains bashed in.  That has to do some damage to the phsyche.  Maybe he is sick of some of those teammates not the other way around.

For the Lions it might be a great move to cut ties to Joey and bring in a veteran to make the next step.  But other than Kitna and Hasselback are any of the other guys out there really a step forward?  I think they all have plenty of ? which is why teams are willing to part with them.

For Harrington a chance to rebuild his confidence with a coach that believes in him could be just what he needs also.  And 3 million seems a small price to pay.  Heck the Broncos are going to give Plummer 7 million and he has alot of the same questions.

But I don't think the local observers would say those #1 rankings were the result of stellar play and ability by the o-line.Rather, they may point to conservative gameplanning and conservative style offense that is not so sack susceptible in order to protect the QB.
Harrington's development includes being among the very best at dumping the ball off to avoid the sack... but all that gets you is another 3 and out - which us Lions fans are painfully accustomed to. Joey has done a few things very well..Check down

Throw it away

Avoid sacks

It would be nice to see him tuck the ball and make something happen once in a honolulu blue moon, or improvise and make plays. Unfortunately neither one happens with any regularity.. but hey, Joey Ballgame can avoid the sacks! Gotta hang your hat on something I s'pose.

Cheater did nail a lot of things when it comes to playing in the D. There are two positions you absolutely don't want to have unless you are without a shadow of the doubt - THE MAN

- Lions QB

- Red Wings goalie

He inherited a terrible franchise with no offensive weapons and no defense, and spent his first two years getting his brains bashed in.  That has to do some damage to the phsyche.  Maybe he is sick of some of those teammates not the other way around.

For the Lions it might be a great move to cut ties to Joey and bring in a veteran to make the next step.  But other than Kitna and Hasselback are any of the other guys out there really a step forward?  I think they all have plenty of ? which is why teams are willing to part with them.

For Harrington a chance to rebuild his confidence with a coach that believes in him could be just what he needs also.  And 3 million seems a small price to pay.  Heck the Broncos are going to give Plummer 7 million and he has alot of the same questions.

They are most certainly NOT the result of stellar line play and are absolutely a byproduct of Harrington dumping the ball off too quickly (there's a reason he owns not one, but the two WORST yards per attempt in league history)...but his sack totals are ABSOLUTELY germane to the notion that he took a pounding and as a result of said pounding, it was unfair to judge his development.David Carr took a pounding (most sacks in NFL history as a rookie)...but Harrington's lack of development has come absent the pounding most other young QBs suffer through at the start of a team's rebuilding process.

Actually, teams count on Harrington to dump the ball off, and practice it during the week.For example, it's 3rd down and 8. Teams will blitz a player or 2, cover the Wr's tight and leave open the underneath guy. That guy catches it 3 yards short of the first down and is tackled immdiately.That's like their hole season in a nutshell.

Hasselback impressed me even as the Seahawks lost. He made all the throws, but Seattle's receivers have hands of stone. Roy Williams would be much better with him instead of Joey.
Yes, but he is just a rookie. Seattle receivers have been dropping balls for years now.

Yes, but he is just a rookie. Seattle receivers have been dropping balls for years now.
A good point. I can't see Roy becoming another Koren Robinson.

Don't jinx him, don't you dare. If you want to rip anyone, start with Charles Rodgers. At least Roy plays, and plays when he's dinged up.

Don't jinx him, don't you dare. If you want to rip anyone, start with Charles Rodgers. At least Roy plays, and plays when he's dinged up.
I shouldn't get on Roy. He is an amazing talent.It's just that for once I would like to see a Lion consistently catch passes. Other than Shawn Bryson catching 3 yard dump-offs on 3rd and 8.

I got this from Fanball's player's news. Apparently OC Sherm Lewis, who retired after this season, told the Lions that they will never win the big dance with JH as the starting QB.

Link

Lions: Harrington might be released

THE NEWS

Joey Harrington's career in Detroit might be coming to an end, as Lions' officials are reportedly considering the idea of releasing the veteran quarterback in February to avoid paying him a $3 million roster bonus. "That decision hasn't been made yet," a source told the Michigan Live website. The three-year veteran is scheduled to make nearly $5 million in 2005. The Lions would take a $5.5 million salary cap hit next season if they choose to release Harrington.

OUR VIEW

No word yet as to whom the Lions are considering as a possible replacement for Harrington. Veteran backup Mike McMahon is a free agent and does not appear to be a starting candidate. These discussions were brought on by a letter written by offensive coordinator Sherm Lewis, who retired at the end of the season. In the letter, Lewis informed team president Matt Millen and Lions' ownership of his belief that the team can not win with Harrington as a starter. We will continue to watch this situation closely in the coming weeks.

I'm not ready to throw Joey to the wolves just yet. I agree at times he throws inaccurate balls and he checks down way to much. But if you were to take Hakim's dropped passes alone and turn them into completions the lions would be in the playoffs this season. Drew Brees all over again. Look what he did in his fourth season.
:goodposting: Harrington had more than his fair share of passes dropped by Hakim (tied for 4th with 10), Roy Williams (tied for 16th with 7), and Kevin Jones (tied for 16th with 7).He was also 3rd in the league in Drops Per Pass Attempt at 7.4% (36 drops/489 passes thrown).

Users who are viewing this thread